New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What if... Miko never killed Shojo?

Hmm. All right, what if Miko attacks Shojo, failing to kill him (because he's actually an epic-level Aristocrat), and he responds by standing up, drawing his ridiculous epic weapon that he usually keeps concealed, and killing her out of hand, rather than doing it unprovoked.

What happens then?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Hmm. All right, what if Miko attacks Shojo, failing to kill him (because he's actually an epic-level Aristocrat), and he responds by standing up, drawing his ridiculous epic weapon that he usually keeps concealed, and killing her out of hand, rather than doing it unprovoked.

What happens then?
    He gets a high-five from Belkar?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Are you sure you want to vilify [Gin-Jun]? Because that sounds like it could very easily describe someone else, gotta say.
    I would assume that Miko is not the most discreet member of the Sapphire Guard anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I kind of imagine that the normal people of AC sort of played along, "oh, I totally have no idea what you're up to, completely normal, totally inconspicuous guy :eyeroll:"
    I guess it's no more puzzling than Miko being second-in-command of the Guard more generally, but she kind of ought to be discreet about this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    She specifically says that there are no rules against telling them the charges. I believe the thing she was absolutely not allowed to say was why it weakened the fabric of reality. She could have never told the Order about the Snarl, but she could tell them that the gates held the fabric of reality intact.
    Maybe, but in itself that sounds like the kind of information an enterprising villain with plans on world domination could probably take advantage of. I mean, maybe, by the barest possible technicality she would be allowed to disclose that type of information, but that seems like bending over backwards in favour of her prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well, my position is that Shojo is unlikely to have legitimately broken Azurite law, so I feel no particular need to try and reconcile this. He would probably be ousted from the Sapphire Guard, but they don't have the authority to do anything about his position as Lord of Azure City.
    ...No, I think myself and Aquillion have gone over a few cases where Shojo committed legit crimes. (I mean, there wouldn't be much point to just ejecting Shojo from the Guard- he'd still be Lord of a city with no separation of government powers and can basically tell the paladins to do what he wants.)

Everything happens as in comic 406 up until the panel where Miko reaches for her sword; instead, she turns away and moves to walk back down the stairs, saying that Shojo will rot in jail. Suddenly, without warning, he lunges at her and kills her in one attack, revealing that while he was an Aristocrat, he was actually something like a level 30 Epic Aristocrat and always carried a +5 Keen Anarchic Humanbane Katana just in case he needed to end a Paladin.
    And he'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

Every time I see this thread, it fills me with a weird urge to create a "What if... Shojo killed Miko?"

Everything happens as in comic 406 up until the panel where Miko reaches for her sword; instead, she turns away and moves to walk back down the stairs, saying that Shojo will rot in jail. Suddenly, without warning, he lunges at her and kills her in one attack, revealing that while he was an Aristocrat, he was actually something like a level 30 Epic Aristocrat and always carried a +5 Keen Anarchic Humanbane Katana just in case he needed to end a Paladin.

What happens after that?
    Oh, maybe he was actually sitting in the next room, and we were just seeing an illusion of him!
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

*shrugs*
    They get Sapphire Guard discount coupons. That they're not very discreet is part of the joke.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    He gets a high-five from Belkar?
    Belkar isnot physically capable of giving a human a high-five.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Belkar isnot physically capable of giving a human a high-five.
    He totally can, with that sweet ring of jumping.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    He totally can, with that sweet ring of jumping.

Grey Wolf
    That, plus his stilts, which are either lying on the floor right there or somewhere on his person.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    ...No, I think myself and Aquillion have gone over a few cases where Shojo committed legit crimes. (I mean, there wouldn't be much point to just ejecting Shojo from the Guard- he'd still be Lord of a city with no separation of government powers and can basically tell the paladins to do what he wants.)
    And I disagree that you have gone over anything of the sort. The closest is Belkar, but we see Hinjo doing the same thing later, so its clearly within his authority even if the paladins would severely disapprove of his doing so. Hinjo overheard one conversation where Shojo admitted to lying to the paladins. While that is a breach of their trust, it isn't a crime unless Azure City is significantly more authoritarian than we have been shown.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

We have a hint that "releasing criminals from jail but with Mark of Justice on them" has been going on for a while - it isn't just Belkar:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0602.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Roy actually get involved in that situation, though? Hinjo couldn't beat a level 30 Aristocrat wielding that weapon alone, I think.
    Roy doesn't like Miko, but he also doesn't like people killing each other for no reason. Especially in response to the most reasonable choice he's ever see the victim make.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Roy doesn't like Miko, but he also doesn't like people killing each other for no reason. Especially in response to the most reasonable choice he's ever see the victim make.
    You've got to be kidding me.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

You've got to be kidding me.
    He's talking about my first hypothetical, where Miko manages to get control of herself, backs down, says Shojo will be handled by the courts, and then Shojo kills her.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

He's talking about my first hypothetical, where Miko manages to get control of herself, backs down, says Shojo will be handled by the courts, and then Shojo kills her.
    Yeah, but this is still a scenario where she's ranting about how Shojo (and Roy) are totally in cahoots with Xykon and the courts are all unfixably corrupt, the reasonableness of which depends strictly on the information available to her, and that doesn't change under your hypothetical. The entire content of her speech builds toward an elaborate justification for impromptu execution- if she suddenly reverses course and decides to... not do that, you'd kind of have to ask why. The premise is doubtful, but if you allow it, her original conclusion was logical.

In any case, Miko does a number of much more conspicuously reasonable things during her early appearances. I mean, I'll grant that Roy was apparently not paying much attention, but it is there.
    Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2019-03-21 at 01:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but this is still a scenario where she's ranting about how Shojo (and Roy) are totally in cahoots with Xykon and the courts are all unfixably corrupt, the reasonableness of which depends strictly on the information available to her, and that doesn't change under your hypothetical. The entire content of her speech builds toward an elaborate justification for impromptu execution- if she suddenly reverses course and decides to... not do that, you'd kind of have to ask why.
    There are two possibilities.
    1. Miko, a paladin whose most subtle plan involved challenging an entire ogre tribe to combat at the same time, has some sort of devious plot to backstab Shojo and the Order at a more convenient time.
    2. Miko is having second thoughts.
    Both of these seem out-of-character, but I don't see why Roy would assume the first one was true...let alone why he would be A-OK with Shojo assuming so and going all Miko on Miko.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

There are two possibilities.
    1. Miko, a paladin whose most subtle plan involved challenging an entire ogre tribe to combat at the same time, has some sort of devious plot to backstab Shojo and the Order at a more convenient time.
    2. Miko is having second thoughts.
    Both of these seem out-of-character, but I don't see why Roy would assume the first one was true...let alone why he would be A-OK with Shojo assuming so and going all Miko on Miko.
    Oh, I'm fairly confident Roy would get involved in some form or fashion, if only by screeching incredulously about his employer's behaviour before this hypothetical level-30 alt-Shojo with a +5 keen dire vorpal anarchic humanbane katana proceeded to also ginsu him. I'm just pointing out that this is (A) not obviously more 'reasonable' behaviour on Miko's part than before, and (B) certainly not the most reasonable thing she's done.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would such a Shojo be able to kill Xykon? And would the death of the only SG paladin in the room trigger the Ghost Martyrs?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Would such a Shojo be able to kill Xykon? And would the death of the only SG paladin in the room trigger the Ghost Martyrs?
    Hinjo is there, too.

I don't think a level 30 Aristocrat would be enough to kill Xykon, especially since many of the enchantments on his sword (Anarchic, Humanbane) would be useless against a CE lich. He has really good attacks from his high BAB and a few epic feats, but otherwise he can be dealt with by a spell. Soon was able to beat Xykon, yeah, but he was epic-level in a player class intended specifically to fight evil, and he had a beneficial template that made a lot of Xykon's spells less useful on him.

I think the Ghost Martyrs only appear when the gate itself is threatened. As long as he doesn't do that he can get away with whatever he wants.

However, keep in mind that Xykon only learned where the Gate was after this scene. If things go differently, he may not learn that, which means the entire battle will go differently.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-03-23 at 07:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think level 30 Aristocrat would be enough to kill Xykon, especially since many of the enchantments on his sword (Anarchic, Humanbane) would be useless against a CE lich.
    I'm pretty sure human liches retain the (human) subtype, so it wouldn't be completely worthless. Xykon's DR requires magical bludgeoning weapons to overcome, so Nega-Shojo would still need to get through that. (Unless he smacked Xykon with the flat of his blade, but then he couldn't vorpal him.)
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm pretty sure human liches retain the (human) subtype
    The pickiest of nits: (humanoid).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

(other stuff i’m not responding to)
    Soon was able to beat Xykon, yeah, but he was epic-level in a player class intended specifically to fight evil, and he had a beneficial template that made a lot of Xykon's spells less useful on him.
    (other stuff i’m also not responding to)
    Don’t forget the rest of the ghost-martyrs had levels in a class intended to fight evil and had that same template, and they STILL had to all team up on him. Xykon was probably lucky he had Symbol of Insanity and used it at the right time, otherwise he’d probably have lost the fight. Miko wouldn’t have destroyed the gate, because of the paladins and ghosts getting enough time to smite Xykon to death before Miko showed up and generally ruined things so badly that Soon showed up just to point out her failure.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoHaxJustPi View Post
    Don’t forget the rest of the ghost-martyrs had levels in a class intended to fight evil and had that same template, and they STILL had to all team up on him. Xykon was probably lucky he had Symbol of Insanity and used it at the right time, otherwise he’d probably have lost the fight. Miko wouldn’t have destroyed the gate, because of the paladins and ghosts getting enough time to smite Xykon to death before Miko showed up and generally ruined things so badly that Soon showed up just to point out her failure.
    The, uh, reason why there were so many ghost-martyrs was specifically because Xykon killed everyone in the room first.

Also, in all fairness, short of a literal glowing neon signpost saying "SMASH GATE NOW" appearing in the throne room, I can't really imagine how much more of a malign miracle could have been contrived to give Miko the wrong impression here.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The, uh, reason why there were so many ghost-martyrs was specifically because Xykon killed everyone in the room first.

Also, in all fairness, short of a literal glowing neon signpost saying "SMASH GATE NOW" appearing in the throne room, I can't really imagine how much more of a malign miracle could have been contrived to give Miko the wrong impression here.
    Considering that Xykon and Redcloak would have lost if it weren’t for Miko “fulfilling the divine destiny that the Twelve Gods revealed to [her],” we can safely say that Xykon would’ve lost if it weren’t for...
    A. Miko being an idiot and shattering the gate instead of killing Xykon and Redcloak
    B. Redcloak figuring out how to Turn/Destroy the Deathless
    C. Miko killing Shojo, allowing X and RC to learn where the gate was
    D. Possibly Symbol of Insanity, if the ghosts appearing didn’t mean ALL the paladins having to die, allowing X to be killed soon enough that Miko would destroy the gate AFTER he died, if at all.
    Half of these are Miko’s fault, one of which is related to the ACTUAL principle of this thread.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoHaxJustPi View Post
    Considering that Xykon and Redcloak would have lost if it weren’t for Miko “fulfilling the divine destiny that the Twelve Gods revealed to [her],” we can safely say that Xykon would’ve lost if it weren’t for...
    Oh, NoHax, you sweet summer child.

Let me ask you a question. In a universe where the Gods are objectively real, and objectively manifest miraculous powers, and objectively have this vast celestial bureaucracy that monitors their mortal followers' every word, thought and deed, and where Miko just so happens to be second-in-command of a major religious organisation charged with safeguarding both all mortal souls and the Gods themselves, and is perhaps the single most powerful paladin currently in their service... why, in this universe... would they not have a plan for her? What kind of putzes would the Gods have to be to not think that she is important?

25. - Top - End - #295

Oh, NoHax, you sweet summer child.

Let me ask you a question. In a universe where the Gods are objectively real, and objectively manifest miraculous powers, and objectively have this vast celestial bureaucracy that monitors their mortal followers' every word, thought and deed, and where Miko just so happens to be second-in-command of a major religious organisation charged with safeguarding both all mortal souls and the Gods themselves, and is perhaps the single most powerful paladin currently in their service... why, in this universe... would they not have a plan for her? What kind of putzes would the Gods have to be to not think that she is important?
    So before she became the most powerful paladin, the gods had a plan for the previous one? And they now have a plan for the current most powerful one, O-Chul (presumably. Other pallys were outside of Azure City at the time, but we don't know their power). Every most-powerful-paladin has had a plan by the gods that transferred upon death?

Also, doesnt that mean that Miko stopped being planned for the moment she fell? Not being a paladin anymore and all?

And, for that matter, why are paladins the ones that the Gods have plans for? You don't need to be religious to be a paladin. You have nothing to do with the deities. You could happen to also worship a Deity, but nothing in the class description says anything even remotely close to tying you into service to a Deity. The Sapphire Guard was certainly very religious, but by all indications Azurites in general were, so that doesn't indicate anything. So, with zero connection to a god, wouldn't the highest level cleric be the one that the Gods have a plan for? Which, again, is presumably an instantly-transferable-upon-death kind of deal? Man, That must make it really awkward for whoever gets the new spotlight of Chosen One only to have it take away again when the previous one gets the Chosen One card back after getting rezzed.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So before she became the most powerful paladin, the gods had a plan for the previous one? And they now have a plan for the current most powerful one, O-Chul (presumably. Other pallys were outside of Azure City at the time, but we don't know their power). Every most-powerful-paladin has had a plan by the gods that transferred upon death?

Also, doesnt that mean that Miko stopped being planned for the moment she fell? Not being a paladin anymore and all?

And, for that matter, why are paladins the ones that the Gods have plans for? You don't need to be religious to be a paladin. You have nothing to do with the deities. You could happen to also worship a Deity, but nothing in the class description says anything even remotely close to tying you into service to a Deity. The Sapphire Guard was certainly very religious, but by all indications Azurites in general were, so that doesn't indicate anything. So, with zero connection to a god, wouldn't the highest level cleric be the one that the Gods have a plan for? Which, again, is presumably an instantly-transferable-upon-death kind of deal? Man, That must make it really awkward for whoever gets the new spotlight of Chosen One only to have it take away again when the previous one gets the Chosen One card back after getting rezzed.
    Hinjo rather than O-Chul, and I could well believe that they have a plan for any and all members of a more or less subordinate organization, in as much as "park them on the Azure City gate and have them guard it" can be called a plan. Which is not to say that Miko was any sort of Chosen One.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #297

Hinjo rather than O-Chul
    O-Chul and Lien are both higher levwl than Hinjo. Between those two, it's debatable on what "most powerful paladin" means. But you're right regardless in that it may well be Lien over O-Chul. She a badass.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Based on the events in the comic, it would actually be easy to conclude that some god had a plan for Miko. Check out Soon's words to Xykon: He can't personally destroy Xykon's phylactery, but he can instruct the first mortal to enter the room in the particulars. In that same strip, as Soon raised his katana to finish off Redcloak and send Xykon to his phylactery, it was revealed that there was a non-goblin mortal in the room.

And yet, though the status of ultimate hero of the comic and destroyer of Xykon passed within inches of Miko's hands, she closed those hands on a different destiny.

For a good reason that was someone else's fault, no doubt.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

O-Chul and Lien are both higher levwl than Hinjo. Between those two, it's debatable on what "most powerful paladin" means. But you're right regardless in that it may well be Lien over O-Chul. She a badass.
    As I recall, Miko explicitly calls out Hinjo as being the second most powerful paladin in the SG.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

As I recall, Miko explicitly calls out Hinjo as being the second most powerful paladin in the SG.
    At the time. Now, O-Chul and Lien probably have a level or two on him.