New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,457 of 1457
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: What if... Miko never killed Shojo?

Miko is many things, but suicidal is not something I've seen her be. Sure, she doesn't hesitate to attack big bads, but she has shown the capacity to know that tactical retreats are preferable to a pointless death (such as she does when the MitD punches her out of the tower, she elects to rush to Azure City rather than go back and fight Xykon and Redcloak). Attacking Tarquin, Malack and an adult Red Dragon virtually alone is hardly something that would result in victory for her.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Miko is many things, but suicidal is not something I've seen her be. Sure, she doesn't hesitate to attack big bads, but she has shown the capacity to know that tactical retreats are preferable to a pointless death (such as she does when the MitD punches her out of the tower, she elects to rush to Azure City rather than go back and fight Xykon and Redcloak). Attacking Tarquin, Malack and an adult Red Dragon virtually alone is hardly something that would result in victory for her.
    I was more imagining that she'd see Tarquin, attack him impulsively, and only after she's charged in realize that there's also a giant red dragon and a high level vampire cleric waiting for her.

3. - Top - End - #1443

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I was more imagining that she'd see Tarquin, attack him impulsively, and only after she's charged in realize that there's also a giant red dragon and a high level vampire cleric waiting for her.
    She’d cast detect evil first.

4. - Top - End - #1444

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    She’d cast detect evil first.
    Fair, although that'd just delay the fiasco by a couple of seconds.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If she's captured with V, Elan and Haley, she's seen the high level vampire cleric and red dragon before she's seen Tarquin. If she's in the arena with Roy and Belkar, she's not exactly in a position to attack Tarquin until the end of the tournament, at which point the Order has already decided that Tarquin's information is too important to find the Snarl to do anything against him.

Edit: And honestly, I bet that Tarquin has something that prevents his alignment from being read by spells. It would be un-dramatic if someone just detected him to be evil.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-08-09 at 01:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1446

If she's captured with V, Elan and Haley, she's seen the high level vampire cleric and red dragon before she's seen Tarquin. If she's in the arena with Roy and Belkar, she's not exactly in a position to attack Tarquin until the end of the tournament, at which point the Order has already decided that Tarquin's information is too important to find the Snarl to do anything against him.

Edit: And honestly, I bet that Tarquin has something that prevents his alignment from being read by spells. It would be un-dramatic if someone just detected him to be evil.
    If she’s with Durkon (IMO the most likely option), she’ll run into Malack, without any help, cast Detect Evil, and she might be able to kill Malack.

This would change Durkon’s prophecy though, Miko knows that Durkon can return, and then would Durkon turn into a vampire, and all that changy things.

7. - Top - End - #1447

Lizardfolk

Hmmm, you're right. Maybe she'd try to kill Malack on sight then? Although honestly I can see her making an attempt to assault Tarquin during his visit to the arena since I think you can still smite evil with a wooden sword.

Although you do have a point that Tarquin might have had the foresight to protect himself against detection spells.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If she’s with Durkon (IMO the most likely option), she’ll run into Malack, without any help, cast Detect Evil, and she might be able to kill Malack.

This would change Durkon’s prophecy though, Miko knows that Durkon can return, and then would Durkon turn into a vampire, and all that changy things.
    I had somehow forgotten about Durkon's own side. Oops.

I don't know if she'd cast detect evil on Malack out of the blue? She's never been shown to be in the habit of casting detect evil on every single person she meets.

9. - Top - End - #1449

Lizardfolk

I had somehow forgotten about Durkon's own side. Oops.

I don't know if she'd cast detect evil on Malack out of the blue? She's never been shown to be in the habit of casting detect evil on every single person she meets.
    I somewhat feel like Malack would make her suspicious.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I somewhat feel like Malack would make her suspicious.
    Well, only at the point where he says "Btw I'm the cleric of a deity of death and destruction but did you know that death isn't actually evil?". Before that, I don't think he'd warrant suspicion, seeing how cordial he is with Durkon.

With Durkon, I'd bet that Miko would try to cast detect evil on Malack in secret, and upon detecting him to be evil, would try to make a plan with Durkon (since I believe that with the respect she has for him, she'd want to warn him ahead of time).

11. - Top - End - #1451

Well, only at the point where he says "Btw I'm the cleric of a deity of death and destruction but did you know that death isn't actually evil?". Before that, I don't think he'd warrant suspicion, seeing how cordial he is with Durkon.

With Durkon, I'd bet that Miko would try to cast detect evil on Malack in secret, and upon detecting him to be evil, would try to make a plan with Durkon (since I believe that with the respect she has for him, she'd want to warn him ahead of time).
    She would know a bit about the completely unfair punishments that the Empire is throwing out, making her a bit suspicious.

12. - Top - End - #1452

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's pretty likely Miko would actually be quite useful in the Empire of Blood.

13. - Top - End - #1453

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    It's pretty likely Miko would actually be quite useful in the Empire of Blood.
    But she'd fail miserably if facing anyone alone (she better stick next to Durkon or Haley/Elan/V, if she stays near Belkar and Roy one of them is dead pretty soon).

I have to wonder if Belkar would still have the Mark of Justice on him at this point, because his use would be starkly limited for a good third of the book if he does (what have we exactly assumed that led us to the Order+Miko in BRitF?).

14. - Top - End - #1454

Lizardfolk

But she'd fail miserably if facing anyone alone (she better stick next to Durkon or Haley/Elan/V, if she stays near Belkar and Roy one of them is dead pretty soon).

I have to wonder if Belkar would still have the Mark of Justice on him at this point, because his use would be starkly limited for a good third of the book if he does (what have we exactly assumed that led us to the Order+Miko in BRitF?).
    I don't think we really have a premise for how Miko would come to be there. Someone just suggested that Miko could curbstomp Tarquin and the debate of which character is stronger got started.

15. - Top - End - #1455

I don't think we really have a premise for how Miko would come to be there. Someone just suggested that Miko could curbstomp Tarquin and the debate of which character is stronger got started.
    K, so I now feel free to make up exactly how we got here and everyone has to follow it! Mwahahahaha!

I'm assuming the whole "Miko and Hinjo are late and don't catch Shojo" thing happens, then the battle happens, with Azure City very destroyed, but Xykon and Redcloak are defeated but escape with a few hobgoblins (lets say Jirix is one of them), the demon-roaches, the MiTD and Tsukiko, they'll be prepared enough to get to Girard's Gate when we feel like it. Roy gets raised, leaving the remaining forces working for Shojo as the Order (with Belkar Mark of Justiced), Hinjo, O-Chul, Lien, Miko, Kazumi and Daigo, the sailors, Therkla (though she's not revealing herself) and a few more soldiers. Nale, Thog and Sabine ran off and found Z and whatever Y*ky*k is around and are trying to find Girard's Gate. O-Chul, Lien and Hinjo go to Kraagor's Tomb and the Order and Miko go to Girard's Gate. All previous prophecy questions and their implications I'll ignore, now BRitF starts one year ahead of schedule.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

Miko would make a plan on her own, charge in, and trust that everyone followed her plan to the letter.
    This got an audible laugh from me.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    This got an audible laugh from me.
    Yes, how could anyone ever be expected to not follow Miko's plans?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad