New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion IC II

Ilsa & Ramiel
    *** After lunch, but before the reconvergence of the party... ***

Dropping down the ladder, with her eidolon right behind her, Ilsa made her way into the lower levels of Misthome. Her pack was swollen with the spoils of war, and it was time to swap them out for something of a bit more practical bent.

"Now, if I were a merchant, where would I be..."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-02-27 at 12:39 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask nodded and broke from the gathering. The conflict at the camp had left him feeling his age and that wouldn't do. Even with the anger in his mind boiled down to frustrations he'd need a clear head for whatever this fort business was. The big man uncrossed his arms and traveled down, no longer afeared by the closeness or the darkness offered by the cave system, for he had found something new to be afraid of at the camp.

When he'd finished reaching some sort of solitude, Rask looked for a smooth patch of stone that he could claim as his own. Somewhere nobody else was. It'd do good to rest his head on something flat and unyielding like rock once he was done, and while he found himself braver than before the half-orc did not fancy looking for a suitable sparring partner in the greater darkness that the tunnels beyond offered. He stripped down to the waist. The sword tattooed on his back was barren. The blade of the thing took up almost the whole length of his back, while the handle ended in not a pommel, but a series of barren branches that were without leaf or greenery.

Rask looked down at the hammer in his grip, then let out a sigh and rested against the stonewall's opposite, hammer-head planted downwards. There was no edge to the masher, which rendered it inadequate for the task he had in mind. Instead Rask withdrew a dagger from it's sheath and set to fixing a partner-an enemy-of his own making. In spite of how much he'd sharpened them, none of his knives had yet drawn blood. All the sharper to cut with then. Rask reversed the grip on his dagger and rested the blade tip against stone. Then he gave the dagger pommel a good thump, cutting a line into the snow. The slayer twisted the dagger to a moderate angle and thumped the pommel again. And again. And again, until a hob-shaped outline began to manifest on the wall. Well. More like a child's conception of a hobgoblin. Squat, with ears and a trunk that were too big. Rask stood back from his sketch, hands covered in a fine film of dust. Halfway down a vein of differently coloured stone had bleached the hob's gut and trunk a white-beige colouring. One of the arms, the one longer than the other, trailed into the vein so that half the arm shared the same coloration as the hob's centre. The whole thing looked like a hob and dwarf had gone and ****ed their way into something foul. Rask ground his teeth agains themselves as he squinted at his carving. Something he could get mad at.

Rask finished off the eyes and then looked to his dagger. The dam thing was blunted over something fierce but that was to be expected. Stone stripped steel of it's edge just as surely as steel tore life from flesh, and Rask's anger aimed to tear. He threw his dagger away and made a note to re-sharpen the blade, then squared himself up against the hob-sketch so that he was an arm's length away. Rask looked at the eyes he'd carved into the wall and steadied his breathing. He drew his right fist back, then slowly brought it to rest under the right eye of the hob. He pulled back halfasmuch again, then tapped the hob under the eye. Then a jab to the white-beige stomach. Another tap under the eye. Faster. A blow to bridge of the nose that stung his knuckles. Rask recoiled from the pain and sucked on his hand. He shook the pain from his digits then turned away from his cro-magnon carving, frustrated. The big man's eye twitched once.

He whirled on the hob and drove his fist straight into the carvings face. His left found a beige white kidney. Faster. No stopping. Never stopping. Rask cranked his right back and glanced a blow across the sketch's neck, tearing his skin and smearing blood across the carving. He kept going, the speed of his blows increasing in weight and speed and pain. The pain was good. If he was feeling pain it meant he was still alive and if he was still alive it meant that there was more killing to be done to the enemy. Faster. Rask hammered his left into the hob's gut and felt himself half-smile at the cracking sound that resounded from the blow. More. More hurt. He could take it. The white part of the hob was starting to look a bit pink. It could be red. He could make it red. All red. Rask's jaw clenched and he began to inhale and exhale from his nose, hard as it was with all the dust his dagger had kicked into the air. He rained more blows down, heedless of the injuries the strikes inflicted. He could take it. He'd been taking it for most of his life. Taking and giving. More and more and more and more. Blows beyond count. Blows enough to crack any hob or manling skull open. Blows to break any hob or dwarf or mage. To murder the gods and topple their thrones. To crack open the world for all to see it's viscera.

Rask let out a mad yell at the carving that resounded about the chamber. He withdrew his hand from the wall and swung it back like a drunk who'd been stung. Pain lent his mind clarity. His fingers did not grope as he found the hammer's hand and one-handed swung it square into the face of his drawing, showering his body and wounds with more of the dust that had collected around him. For a few moments longer, Rask retained his grip on the hammer, panting. The last of the violent energy that had suffused the big man left him as he released his grip on the mallet. It stayed where it was, refusing to move from the crater he made with it. The big man blinked and found that sweat was dribbling down his forehead, mixing with the scraps and cuts that he'd inflicted upon himself. He blinked again and felt ten years older for having maimed the wall as he did. Tens years calmer. Maybe.

His hands were shaking, and that was never a good sign. Rask staggered, beset by exhaustion in the face of his fury's dissipation. His hands hurt. They really hurt. Rask focused on the pain, the burning, incandescent centre of it. He chewed through the sensation, battering the palsy aside as though it were made of thatch. Rask staggered again and almost went down to a knee, then corrected himself. He refused to collapse. It would not do for the hoers to see him absent strength. His hand braced him against shoulder of the hob sketch. Rask lowered himself down so that he was sitting below the hammer, still struck-stuck into the wall. He drew his knees up close, then wrapped his arms around his legs and squeezed tight. Then the big man rested his head against the reassuring weight of the stone. He was glad for something stable to rest his mind on.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2019-02-27 at 06:19 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion II

Narek Skyskin

Narek clenched his jaws and squeezed Shara’s hand in frustration when Jet began to work on food before meeting the merchant. His wife squeezed his hand back, mouthing ‘I’m sorry.’ Nodding Narek waited patiently, watching the interaction between the animals with passing interest. He did find a ghost of a smile at Thel’s laughter, however, and by the time they were all eating, he had pushed aside his frustration and focused on his family.

When they finally finished and headed down, Narek took in the changes made, noting the ever present desire for people to add personal touches in order to feel at home. He raised an eyebrow as he saw Rask slip off into the darkness, wondering what demons the man was dealing with, and whether anyone could help him find peace. If not, he would remain a fragile Alchemist’s bomb, waiting for some action to set it off.

As they neared Misthome, Narek wondered aloud, ” Did they mention maintaining a guard?”

Ready gorbthe merchant
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 13. HP: 23 Init +10 Move 30?
    F +1 R +3 W +6
    Weapon: Hvy crossbow w/16 bolt
    Spells (4/4+1/3+1/2+1): Acid splash, message, detect magic, mending / silent image, obscuring mist, enlarge person, magic missile, heightened awareness / protection vs arrows, glitterdust, gallant inspiration / haste, haste, C2
    Prescience: 7/7; Good Dreams 1/1; wand of magic missile (23); wand of prestidigitation (22); wand of cause fear (10); wand of hold person (9)
    Key skills: Perception +4; Stealth +2; Survival +3; Spellcraft +12; S. Motive +6; KS Arcane +12; KS Local +11; KS P/D +10, KS Na/R/G +9; KS E/H +8
    Effect: prestidigitation (1hr); message (39 min)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Ilsa, Narek

After the time it takes to eat a warm meal and catch up with people of note, the two of you - Ramiel right behind you - find yourselves at the entrance to the lower levels of Misthome. Unlike nearly every other facet of this place, the ladder and the passage remain unchanged since your last sojourn out to face Scarvinious. When you emerge on the far side and clamber down into the hall of carved stone reliefs, you spot the tents and hear the sound of clanging hammers to the west. Both Eyena and Yissti seem hard at work getting the alchemist set up in her station, which looks like it will take up a bit of room but shouldn't actively block any of the main thoroughfares down here.

Following the cavern further east, you pass few resting refugees and come across the split in the road where the unknown passage lies. There too sits the answer to the wizard's question: Jodis, one of your warriors, has brought a stool and sits with his back to the stone wall, facing down the rough palisade of sharpened stakes that are pointed defiantly at the darkness. "You're back," the former woodsman says with a rough smile. "Aubrin and the others asked somebody to take guard duty down here. Used to be Ramus with me, until those monsters hit the front entrance. Glad to have the backup now, though."

Nodding down the passageway, the survivor indicates a bit of a glowing light from behind a bend in the rock not ten feet down the winding tunnel ahead. "We asked the merchant to set herself up outside of our defensive lines, and she was happy to oblige. Novvi, her name is. A bit of an odd one, if you ask me. She seems harmless enough for now, though."

Eyena

"You have a smaller tent inside a larger one...? But why? You know what, don't tell me, I don't want to know." Shaking her head as though to say 'humans', the alchemist starts to measure out the space in the corner of the chamber where her proposed lab would go. "I would definitely need to make a few adjustments to my set up. But... hm, okay. If I were to only use half of the table for now and double up on the height of the reagent cabinet..." The hobgoblin busies herself with some mental calculations, screwing up her eyes a little and pacing back and forth as you busy yourself with gathering everything that needs to be collected.

After some time - and the passing through of Narek, Ilsa, and Ramiel - both of you begin to put together everything. The process is remarkably complex, even with your intellect it is clear that all of the glasswork and other calibration instruments are exceptionally specialized materials. What's more, reconstructing the table from the various components is no easy task, and even with the two of you takes nearly half an hour. However, when all is said and done, you are faced with what looks like a functional, if somewhat ramshackle, alchemist's laboratory. Yissti's mood has been steadily improving throughout the work, and when you're finished she gives you a grin.

"Alright then, looks like that's that! Now I should probably make you a potion or something to say thanks - people seem to enjoy reciprocity - but I don't have much in the way of reagents right now. If you tell me what you need, I can give you an ingredients list!"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #35

Ilsa & Ramiel

Ilsa nodded in approval. "Carry on, Jodis. I'm gonna go talk to this Novvi person. See what she's got for sale. Been a long time since I could go shopping."
    With Ramiel behind her, Ilsa then approached the merchant, clearing her throat as she drew near. "Hello. Your name is Novvi, correct? We've been told you're a merchant. My name is Ilsa, and this is Ramiel. We'd like to have a look at your wares, please."

The eidolon gave a slight bow."Charmed."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek reaches the bottom and noticed Ryena and Yissti setting up an area. He frowned slightly, having expected her to be away from any traffic. Shaking his head, he kept walking with Ilsa and Ramiel. Before they reached the merchant, he did pose a question. ”What has recently changed that evoked the display of conversational exposition upstairs? Not that we don’t appreciate your willingness to speak, but in the past you have been the more succinct one.”. He glanced at Ramiel when he spoke, curious as to if something had shifted in their relationship.

Upon finding Jodi’s, Narek nodded silently and followed the pit towards the lights. Upon nearingbthe small camp, he cleared his throat to announce their preseason added to Isla’s introduction, with a slight glance at the summoner when she gave her name. ”I would see your wares as well ... and perhaps discuss the mutual benefits of future collaboration.

Narek is paranoid
    Show
    F +1 R +3 W +6
    Spells (4/4+1/3+1/2+1): Acid splash, message, detect magic, mending / silent image, obscuring mist, enlarge person, magic missile, heightened awareness / protection vs arrows, glitterdust, gallant inspiration / haste, haste, C2
    Prescience: 7/7; Good Dreams 1/1; wand of magic missile (23); wand of prestidigitation (22); wand of cause fear (10); wand of hold person (9)
    Key skills: Perception +4; Stealth +2; Survival +3; Spellcraft +12; S. Motive +6; KS Arcane +12; KS Local +11; KS P/D +10, KS Na/R/G +9; KS E/H +8

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena works without complaint, expression shifting slightly away from the former neutral one to a soft smile as they finish, and she nods to Yissti in response to her words. "It is a wise observation," she says. "Reciprocity is, that is, it was said to me - reciprocity is the soul of companionship," she nods again. "Would it - that is, would it not be a matter of excessive difficulty, to..." she pauses for a moment, then nods slightly. "Could you make pigments, that is, ink, which is of the phosphorescent variety?"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

As the rest of the party files down the stairs, Gilraen remains in the upper portion of their subterranean haven. Though part of him wonders at the appearance of a merchant from below, he both trusts his companions to manage if things should turn south and prefers to be closer to the forest he now most-truly considers his home. He receives a portion of meal from Shara with the grace and poise often used to describe the Elves, and finds a place near a fire to sit cross-legged, quietly watching the conversation that inevitably seems to buzz around- but never to- him. The eye of a small verbal storm, deep down a small pang of jealousy stings his psyche. Ever since his adolescence, he has been alone, though as he's matured, the pangs are less frequent and less biting. Still, from time to time...

With a start, he turns to look at his hand, where the she-jackal has just placed her nose. Unbidden, a smile rushes to his face. He scratches twice before returning his hand to the hard bread awaiting dipping into a creamy broth. As the jackal curls up in his lap, his thoughts turn to more pleasant things. Still aware of the inexplicable isolation, Gilraen nonetheless enjoys several long minutes of community. When he rises to seek rest, he returns a few nods of acknowledgement, and makes for the surface, grabbing a strap of canvas from one of the unused tents. Passing the guards, Gilraen comfortably lopes to a large tree and swings himself into its lower branches. Far enough from the ground to be confident he's out of reach of any marauding owl bears, he forms a sling from the straps of his pack, and pulls the canvas taut. Tying its corners carefully, he produces a makeshift hammock just a few feet above his head, and deposits the jackal- previously clinging tightly to his shoulders. As she curls up to rest, he lays his head back and gazes at the canopy above, the faintest twinkles of stars just beginning to pierce through the leaves.

A quiet sigh from the hammock above draws another thin smile to the Elf's lips. He closes his eyes and allows himself to drift away.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen

While other members of your group split off to take care of various aspects of business, you are left alone in the crowd of Phaendar survivors and the wild things that they have collected in their wake. Your as of yet unnamed jackal seems to adjust fairly well to the other wolves in the cavern. The play isn't too rough: there's a bit of snarling and growling, as well as the occasional yelp of alarm, but no blood is drawn. Although she is currently larger, you get the sense that even the animals know that it will not remain the case for too long. The young Thel also takes something of a shine to the beast by your side, although the boy is a little miffed when he fails to coax her away from your side.

After meal and musings, you eventually take off from the caverns of Misthome. In the hour or so that has passed since your arrival, the sun has disappeared behind some clouds, but the warmth of the afternoon suffuses the air all the same. You slip on the forest like a second skin, breathing in the wind and leaves and animal cries. You could even swear that your furred companion smiles with her teeth back at you when you look down at her in your shadow. Where you walk here, nobody knows - and for a few minutes, that's perfectly okay with you. The tree you eventually pick is large and comfortable, your sling-hammock easy enough to set up in its branches, about twenty feet off of the ground. When you and the jackal are situated, you close your eyes and before long, you find yourself in the land of dreams.

In the peace of sleep, you are oblivious to the monsters that move below you.

Ilsa, Narek

Jodis moves aside a few pieces of sharpened wood to let you pass, grunting his assent and returning to his spot on the stool as all three of you proceed forward. Rounding the corner, you find yourselves directly in front of a small tent that occupies the majority of the tunnel. A glowing orb of crystalline light hangs in front of the flaps, and you notice that the tent itself is made up of what looks like some sort of dark treated scales. Not a moment after you make your introductions, the flap slides open to reveal a short figure.

Standing at perhaps three and a half feet tall, this gnome wears leathers of a muted brown. Her skin is a uniform slate gray, and both eyes and the base of her shoulder length hair are stark white. The only glimpse of color comes from her tips, which she seems to have dyed a bright fluorescent pink. Under one arm is slung what you can only assume is some sort of hat or headgear, while the other rests on her hip as she takes in the three of you with a glance. Nothing on her smooth face changes as she puts out her left hand for the three of you to shake in turn.

"Excellent." the figure - who based on the description you received must be Novvi - exclaims without a single ounce of inflection. "I have been looking forward to more customers ever since I arrived to find my normal buyers indisposed. I have a number of wares stowed away in an extradimensional pocket of my own creation. You, samsaran, have also aroused my curiosity with your offer of collaboration. I will hear what you have to say after we complete our assorted transactions. Is that an acceptable arrangement to all of you?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Introductions aside, you have reached your first proper merchant of the game! Thanks to her extensive stock in her bag of holding, Novvi can buy and sell as if she were a small village market, offering almost anything worth up to 500 gp and buying up to 2,500 gp worth of goods each week. She can trade copper and silver for gold, or even for slender gold trade bars worth 100 gp each. In addition, Novvi has a few special items for sale or for trade, listed below.

Magical Items for Sale

• potion of haste (3)
    • ring of counterspells
    • lesser strand of prayer beads
    • +1 agile breastplate

She will sell all of these for their full market value, while buying all of your stock for the standard 50% rate for merchants. It's steep, but it's easier for us to do inventory management this way than have to deal with the nightmare that is the haggling system!

Eyena

Yissti, who has continued to putter and adjust the little pieces of gear, stops to think when you pose her the question. "Yep," the alchemist says after a few seconds. "All I would need is some form of phosphorescent insect - fireflies work best - or some fungi from the caves down here. I haven't seen any glowing mushrooms, but then again I was blindfolded so I wouldn't really know. If you bring me enough, I should even be able to create multiple doses! I'll whip up a formula for it... I should be able to do red or green when I mix in my dyes. Did you have a preferred color?"

After some more conversation, your business is concluded. However, the hobgoblin grabs your arm before you get the chance to leave. Although you start at first, the look in Yissti's eyes gives you some pause. There is no viciousness there, only... concern. "Hey, you've been nice to me. You stepped in when that big orc brute wanted to kill me, and you got me set up here. I know the rest of your group made your peace with leaving me alive for now, but how do I know that I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night with a knife in my back?"

Rask

The walls of the abandoned tunnel shudder with the impacts of your rage. Beads of sweat and blood find their way to the floor of packed dirt and stone in equal measure. Now that you're down on the ground, you are almost level with the shattered remains of your enemy - the better to see it face to face. In front of you, what was once a halfway terrible approximation of one of your foes has been transfigured into a red portrait. Even in peace, you aren't sure if the bloody mural you've created is one of mockery or grudging admiration. Perhaps, in a perverse world, it might even be a bit of both. It might not even matter.

With only the slowing drum beat of your heart for measure, you easily lose yourself in the minutes that follow. It takes some time before you can hear footsteps - tentative but audible - getting closer. You aren't all that surprised to see that it is Jet who rounds the bend: she must have warned off anyone else. The dark-haired quartermaster suppresses a spasm of grief as she takes in the scene. "... Rask...." she murmurs, stepping closer until she stands about three feet away from you, at which point she crouches down to get closer to where she can see your face.

"There's... damn it, I don't want to even tell you this." Jet glances at the blood once more and lets out a long, shuddering breath. "Ramus is out at the front gate, and he spotted movement in the glade outside. We were hoping to find Gilraen, but nobody knows where he went. Would you... would you go and see if everything is alright out there? We all need you."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-03-16 at 02:46 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Eyena tells Yissti she'll need to decide what color, during their continued talk.

Eyena pauses, looking at Yissti for a moment as she speaks, and nods. She's silent for a moment, looking off to the side from Yissti, then nods again, this one slighter. She sets a hand on the hobgoblin's, and looks her in the eyes. "I will ensure your safety, during the nights in which I am present," she says. She nods again, more firmly this time. Then, she frowns. "As for, that is, regarding the...other nights, I am not entirely sure, how that matter would be resolved," she admits.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask met the woman's eyes, unsure whether to get closer or scoot back farther into the embrace rubble of his blood-tallowed mural. He regarded her with a quizzical half-squint that softened as he listened to what she had to say. The words, and the sense that they made, drew a flicker of a smile from him. Whatever had passed between him and the others at the camp seemed to have gone unreported to the others. Rask's smile faltered. Maybe it should have been. Bad thing to have someone break rank, half cut on blood. Or maybe it had been and she just didn't care. He wasnt sure which of the two options was the better of it. It was evident to the big man that the anger within him couldnt been used for much, and a smart person like Jet would've doubtlessly figured that out. And even if she hadn't, the work that loomed above and around him was testament to that particular fact.

The thin line of his smile vanished as pain stung at his hands. Rask uncurled himself, letting one hand slump to the ground while he propped the other on a knee. Rask sighed then looked to his hands, slowly curling then unclenching them into fists. He winced a little, more from embarrassment then anything else. Hob arrows had taken him in the neck. His hide had been frozen by alchemies. Mother's tits, a bugbear had damn near chopped him in half at the waste and here he stood struck mum by pains more suited to a younger man. A younger half orc. The big man found Jet's eyes again, then looked up past them, searching for some sort of meaning in the ceiling's stone. He saw nothing. Naught by the hammer's haft, still resting above his head. Rask grunted and decided to accept the invitation. He braced his fist against the floor's stone, gripped the hammer handle with his other digits and raised himself to full height, no longer stooped by the confusion that the anger had brought with it. By the Gods did he hate the feelings of lethargy that came with age.

Once he'd recovered from the exertion of standing, Rask retrieved his tunic and tore a sleeve from it. The dam thing had always been too long for his limbs and there were better uses for the fabric then keeping one of his arms warm. He split the fabric down the middle and wound the two strips over each hand. The slayer unclenched then re-clenched his hands, just to make sure the wrappings would stay in place, then donned his breastplate the tatters of what passed for his cloak. The weight of the garment was minimal, but Rask felt it a goodly reassurance. Almost as good as the woman standing before him. His hands found solace in the weapons grip as he wrenched it up, then down, then to the left, then free from the crater of his own making. The big man walked towards the entrance without so much as a backwards glance at his bloodshed, keeping in step with Jet as they went to the cave entrance. His hands no longer shook.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2019-03-05 at 04:47 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

12. - Top - End - #42

Ilsa & Ramiel

*** Before reaching Novvi... ***

As they made their way over to Novvi, Ramiel turned and listened to Narek's question.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”What has recently changed that evoked the display of conversational exposition upstairs? Not that we don’t appreciate your willingness to speak, but in the past you have been the more succinct one.”
    The azata considered this for a moment, then answered.

"I do, have done, and will always do what my lady - my friend asks of me, Narek. And it shall be this way for as long as I am bound to her. For the past couple of months, I have been needed almost exclusively for my talents with the bow, as we and the others have sought refuge and battled against those who would see us dead. In short, back then there was very little need for talk. But after we picked up our... guest, Ilsa began to think. She believed that the others here would not welcome her so easily, especially not if even we were split initially. I mentioned that, as a child of Elysium, the art of diplomacy comes naturally to us. And so she asked me to begin practicing again, for now and in the future. As we venture out further into the world, there will come more opportunities where words can do what an arrow cannot - and, as far as she had been able to observe, there was no-one else trained in that capacity."

"Plus, now he has something to do outside of battle besides standing around and looking pretty."

Ramiel rolled his eyes good-naturedly.

Show
    In short, Ilsa asked Ramiel to start training Diplomacy, and get more involved in dialogue, because as far as I know she knew, no-one else did, and we needed it. Not sure if this is still the case, but last I checked, no-one else has ranks.

*** Back in the present... ***

Perusing Novvi's wares, Ilsa's eye was immediately drawn to the prayer beads, as well as the potions of haste.

<You, Gilraen, and Rask would definitely find those potions useful. The beads are expensive as hell, but if we can scrape enough cash together...>

<The potions should go to the latter two. We are usually close enough to Narek that he could cast it. They tend to go further afield as the frontliners.>

<True.>

"So, how's about this?"
    Ilsa pulled various assorted sundries out of her pack, placing them before the gnome. "I'd like to buy a couple of those potions, and some of these..." She pointed out an assortment of alchemical items. "And I'll trade you these for them, and whatever's left over as cash."

Spoiler: Shopping Time!
    Show
    All items listed by Ilsa for sale are given at their sale value (50%).

Ilsa
    Boots of Elvenkind: 1250
    Gold Pin: 75
    Gold Ring: 22.5
    Potion of Guidance: 12.5
    Masterwork Light Crossbow: 167.5
    Masterwork Longbow (+3 STR) (Ramiel's old weapon, not on tracker): 350
    Oil of Magic Weapon: 25
    Wolf Fang Necklace: 50
    Scroll of Ray of Enfeeblement: 37.5
    Aquamarine Necklace: 75
    Steadfast Gutstone: 400
    Assorted Hides: 250
    Masterwork Longbow: 187.5
    Geode Periapt: 37.5
    x6 +1 Bolts: 120
    Scroll of Color Spray: 12.5
    Scroll of Expeditious Retreat: 12.5
    Potion of Owl's Wisdom: 150
    x2 Potion of Bear's Endurance: 400
    x4 Tanglefoot Bags: 100
    x4 Stenchgas Bladders: 120
    Total Trading Value: 3630

Novvi
    2x Potions of Haste: 1500
    2x Spring-loaded wrist sheathes: 10
    1x Spring-loaded scroll case: 5
    x4 Tangleburn Bag: 600
    x2 Ghost Salt Weapon Blanch: 400
    x2 Cold Iron Weapon Blanch: 40
    x2 Adamantine Weapon Blanch: 200

And that leaves 875 cash left over.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-03-06 at 01:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen

You can't have been dreaming for more than a few minutes before the crashing of foliage wakes you from your 'nap'. Looking down at the Fangwood floor, you catch two bulky figures pushing through the underbrush, making a slow but unmistakable approach towards the clearing where the cave entrance lies. Whatever is down there is large, and there is definitely more than one. Eventually, you manage to get a good look at flash of fur and feathers: this bizarre half-bear, half-owl monstrosity stomps forward, claws already raised in anticipation of bloodshed. Not thirty paces away is its mate, which is even larger.

There can be only one explanation - these are the very same owlbears that made the earlier commotion. Thankfully your bow and arrows are within easy reach. Up above you, your jackal friend opens its eyes as your furtive motions rouse it from its own slumber. It follows the focus of your attention and a nearly inaudible growl leaves its throat. Tracing the path of the owlbears, you deduce that they'll be breaking through the cover to reach the glade soon. They haven't noticed your presence. Now is the time to take the shot.

Show
    So the Roll20 map is up and running! The owlbears didn't spot you, so you have 1 full round to prep with a buff and then a surprise round here if you want to take a shot before I roll Initiative and start this combat.

Ilsa, Narek

While Ilsa gets out everything that she wishes to sell, the deep gnome walks over to a low, smooth rock that is situated near the tunnel wall. From the lining of her leather jacket, Novvi seems to produce an endless array of items - far, far too many to actually fit in her clothes. This is undoubtedly the same holding space she just mentioned. By the time that the half-elf has enumerated the various wares to pass on, the svirfneblin has done the same. The exchange is made, with both parties leaving

"The troglodytes were nowhere near as wealthy as this," Novvi states as she counts up the gold and items that have entered her possession. "I am astounded, truly astounded that you came across items like this in your travels. May I ask where came across a gutstone such as this one? The shaping of it is remarkable."

Shaking her head, Novvi forges on. "Enough histrionics. Samsaran, do you also have wares you would wish to sell to me or buy from my inventory? If you have a particular idea of an item you might want, I can also return back here in a week or two."

Show
    So by that math, Novvi should have 1625 gp left to spend. Baron, if you want to buy something from her or sell off your own vendor trash, feel free to do so.

Eyena

The hobgoblin looks at you for a few seconds longer, before she realizes that you are not, in fact, going to keep talking. She ends the physical contact and exhales dramatically, making a point to look over her assorted wares. "Well... you'll forgive me when I say that your response doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. I guess I should make myself as useful as I can to your people, then, but I'm not going to be responsible when somebody gets hurt."

Although you aren't the most schooled in humanoid interactions, when Yissti turns her back on you, it's a fairly unambiguous sign that she would prefer to be left alone so that she get to work.

Rask

As the two of you leave the pit of your misery and head towards the exit out into the forest, Jet makes sure to keep pace with your large strides. She does not make any motion to speak or look over at you, instead keeping her expression as neutral as she can while she stares straight ahead. It seems that she knows that this is not a time for mere words. On your way out, you pass through the main chambers where most of the residents have set up their living quarters, the same as you saw on the way in. Where there was once activity, however, there are only silent stares. It's clear by looking at the expressions of hesitation and concern that just about everybody up here heard you while you were in the tunnel. Rhyna meets your gaze and looks away too quickly.

After a minute of walking that feels like much longer, you near the passage that leads back out into the woods. The two cavern guards Ramus and Kern stand with their weapons ready, the first with a blade and the other with a loaded crossbow. Aubrin also leans on her staff, lingering near the tunnel mouth. Daylight filters in through the opening in the rock. Jet, for her part, makes no move to ready her own sword. "This is as far as I'm going," she says after a moment's pause. "I'll hold the line here in case you fall, but I don't think I'll be needed. Aubrin will be on standby for healing. Gilraen might be out there too, but we're not sure."

Show
    As I posted in Bink's section, the Roll20 map is up! Since Rask and the two guards are still heading out of the tunnel, I'm going to let Bink take the first shot with a surprise round before rolling Initiative for everyone.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-03-16 at 02:46 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #44

Ilsa & Ramiel

"The gutstone was a spoil of war from a recent run-in we had with some hobgoblins,"
    Ilsa answered honestly, while failing to mention the specifics."I can't speak for my friend here, but if you should happen to come across an item - a belt, say - to help augment one's dexterity, or one of those enchanted handy haversacks, I would pay good coin for either."

"In any case," Ramiel said with a slight bow, "Before we leave, I would also like to buy one thing very quickly..."

Spoiler: One last quick trade...
    Show
    Ramiel would like to buy a Masterwork Backpack of his own (50 gp), 10 more regular arrows to top up his quiver (5 silver), and a quiver of 50 blunt arrows (5 gp).

Total Spent: 55.5 gp

With the trade complete, Ilsa and Ramiel then took their leave, with Ilsa strapping the sheathes to her arms and the scroll case to her waist before loading them up, along with a quick bit of splitting the load between them. With this done, they then went about searching the base to find where Eyena and Yissti had set up shop.

<Time to see what our guest can do for us.>

Spoiler: Loadout
    Show
    Historically, I've been a bit lax with resource tracking. Time to change that.

Sheathes
    R Hand: Wand of Hold Person (12/50 charges)
    L Hand: Tangleburn Bag
    Scroll Case: Silence

Abilities
    Summon Monster SLA:
    8/8 as SM III
    Level 2 Spells: 6/6
    Level 1 Spells: 3/3

Ramiel's Ammo
    Regular Arrows: 50
    Blunt Arrows: 50
    Cold Iron Arrows: 49
    +1 Flaming Arrows: 2
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-03-09 at 02:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek watched silently as Ilsa and Ramiel bargained with the gnome. Her recognition of his origins was not lost on him, marking Novvi as likely educated... or experienced. When she turned to see if he had any needs, he nodded curtly. ”I do have a few requests. First, I am interested in a number of scrolls. I order of preference, I am interested in Slow, Fly, Aqueous Orb, Fireball and Communal Resist Energy. Next, I am in want of a traveler’s any-tool. I would also like two wands sheaths. Finally, a map kit. By way of trade, I offer this enchanted sword, magic dust and gems.”

Once the transactions are complete, Narek spoke again. ”As for my offer for collaboration, I feel that we might offer you more lucrative trading opportunities over the course of future relations. However, while we do not ask for your allegiance, we would like to secure your discretion. We have enemies and would prefer to keep our presence on a need to know. How do we ensure such exclusivity and your silence.”

Hopefully this works ...
    Show
    F +1 R +3 W +6
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-03-13 at 12:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen's perch

As the brutes shudder past, Gilraen stirs. At the sudden cacophony of sound, he wonders silently: What's that?! A pair of Owlbears would make less- oh. Well, I guess not. Turning to his right, he finds himself facing the forest floor, looking at the backs of the refugee's would-be assailants. Laying on his chest on the branch that until moments ago served as his back support, the Elf immediately begins gathering his bow and arrow. Silently he wills the jackal to remain hidden. Whether a function of survival instincts or something else, she seems to heed his concerns. As he watches, the Owlbears make their own destructive path almost lackadaisically towards the cave. Judging to have enough time, he fishes an enchanted oil from a pocket and begins to smear it over the curve of his bow.

He leans up on his shins to clear the space in front of his chest and raises his bow. The acrid scent of the oil is almost overwhelming, and at the same time somehow invigorating. In the moonlight, he casts his sights on the hulking figures beneath him. The near silent thrum of string snapping taut is followed by a shout. "Owlbears! In the underbrush!"

Spoiler: Gilraen, pre-combat
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 5, Init 5, HP 31/31, Speed 40
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    PBS MW composite long bow (40 arrows) +9 (1d8+2, x3 )
    Quarterstaff +6 (1d6+3, x2)
    Shillelagh Qstaff +7 (2d6+4, x2)
    MW Dagger +6/+7 (1d4+2, 19/20 x2)
    MW Chain shirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
    Condition Charisma to saves vs enchantment
    Chernasardo Hopeful: reduce concealment as a move action
    -1x +1 frost arrows
    Spells, 1st level: 7/7 remaining
    2nd level: 5/5 remaining
    Martial Flexibility: 4/5
    MF: rapid shot (10 rounds)

use one of the oils of magic weapon to make the bow mo' betta. Move action for rapid shot with martial flexibility- unless they benefit from concealment. If they do, use trait to reduce it.
    surprise round: pew!
    (1d20+10)[13] (does not include PBS, I assume it doesn't apply)
    (1d20+10)[22] CC (30, x3)
    (1d8+3)[10] dmg
    (2d8+6)[13] crit bonus

(1d20+5)[25] initiative

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Everything's Worse With Owlbears

Rask steps out into the sun, just in time to see the two large figures of the owlbears erupt from the treeline on the north-western edge of the clearing. There's no mistaking the monsters for anything other than the aberrant beasts that the group identified at their meeting earlier. Behind the half-orc, Ramus and Kern ready their weapons to charge into the breach right after him.

Meanwhile, after hurriedly anointing his weapon in magical oil, Gilraen finds the best branch. This tree seems well-suited to archery, but as the owlbears get further and further, their shapes become partially blotted by the other leaves and branches of the forest. Taking a few heartbeats to get himself centered, he calls on the training of the Chernasardo and the surrounding wilderness simply... falls away. Only his target exists.

Then he releases the arrow. Amazingly, although the archer can tell within a single second that his aim is slightly off and it looks as though his arrow will go wide, the projectile pegs one of the unaware owlbears in the back of the shoulder. Even as the creature lets out a low rumbling roar, he prepares a second attack. Neither of the creatures seems particularly quick on the draw, and this will be an opening that your group of defenders can use.

Spoiler: Surprise Round OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

So Gilraen actually managed to peg one of the flat-footed owlbears this round! They both benefit from normal concealment in their current positions from you (you would need to come down from the tree to get a clearer shot), so the move action was used for the Chernasardo Hopeful trait to reduce concealment on one of them for now. I've marked off the injured one on the map.

As far as Initiative goes, Gilraen and Rask are up at the top of Round 1, so feel free to continue the combat in your next post. The NPCs will go after you two, but before the owlbears.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena frowns, but nods and leaves as Yissti turns away. After a moment of standing outside the tent, she goes to find Aubrin, a slight frown still on her face as she goes.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Were it not for the fatigue that suffused his frame, Rask would have found the owl bears appearance humorous. As was he just felt tired. Drained and tired of the smells that came from the cave. Still. Weren't all bad. Whatever magery had called forth such an amalgamation as the ones before him stopped short of making them arrow proof, which probably meant it weren't hammer proof either. He unslung his hammer from where it rested and let the head of the great mallet drop to the ground.

The half-orc began to walk towards the injured animal, dragging the hammerhead in his wake. He put more speed into his approach, silently accelerating towards the creature, gathering momentum until he found himself in the middle of a dead sprint towards the beast. Somewhere, in the numbness that accompanied his run, Rask's other hand found the hammer haft. He did nothing to telegraph his attack. No mad yelling or screaming like he'd done against his conjured opponent in the cave. Instead he brought the weapon up in a great half-cresent, then forward, using the momentum of his movement to bolster the swing.

Spoiler: Round 1?
    Show

Full round action: charge the injured owl bear.
    To hit (power attacking): (1d20+9)[29]
    Dmg: (2d6+10)[16]
    CC: (1d20+9)[24]
    Last edited by n0ble; 2019-03-13 at 11:38 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

As surprised as anyone when his arrow flies true- he felt he pulled to the left, but apparently not by enough to miss the creature's wide frame, Gilraen hurriedly nocks another arrow. As Rask appears from the mouth of the cave, the Elf turns his eyes on the other creature. With a grunt, he recognizes the concealment is slightly different, and focuses his gaze on the branches for a few seconds. Nodding to himself, another arrow takes flight.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 1
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 18, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 3
    -1x +1 frost arrows
    Martial Flexibility: 5/5

Use trait to reduce concealment for the new target, pew!
    (1d20+10)[16] (does not include PBS, I assume it doesn't apply)
    (1d20+10)[30] CC (30, x3)
    (1d8+3)[6] dmg
    (2d8+6)[15] crit bonus

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen, Rask

The first of the two owlbears, already wounded by the arrow from the foliage, begins to turn as though to seek out whoever shot it. Animal eyes, yellow-limned and full of rage, alight on Gilraen as the monstrosity takes a single step towards the elf's tree. That is as far as the owlbear ever gets, for the anger of a half-orc is deeper than its call to blood. Rask seems to take but a single step in his charge out into the promontory of day, even as his feet carry him to his foe. The magical earth breaker catches the afternoon sun as it reaches the apex of its swing. Rask brings the head down, and with a single crack the owlbear's spine is shattered. The creature collapses at the warrior's feet.

Without even a single second's hesitation, Gilraen follows up on his ally's momentum. A second arrow also hits its mark, and the next owlbear soon finds new feathers among its plumage as a well-placed crossbow bolt from Kern joins it. Although it cries out in obvious pain, this beast does not make the same mistake as its fallen mate: it charges the hulking figure of the half-orc, a whirlwind of claws and teeth. Thankfully Rask's armor has seen much worse, and he weathers the assault with but a single shallow ragged cut along one side of his neck.

All the same, it becomes clear that this owlbear is not going down without a proper fight.

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Well you all ended one owlbear rather quickly! Critical hits for 48 damage will do that. This one is still very much up and kicking though, hitting Rask for 7 damage with a single attack but failing to grab hold of him. It seems that I can't seem to roll above 2s for these guys.

Eyena, Ilsa, Narek

Rummaging through her belongings to procure the items that Narek has asked for, the svirfneblin eventually pulls out a nondescript 12 inch bar of metal, four wrapped up treated vellum hides, and what looks like a piece of slate with several brightly colored pieces of chalk. "Here is your any-tool," Novvi states as she points at the bar. "It comes in compact form and can be shaped as its wielder wills. I would advise you not to try using it as a weapon, although given your request for scrolls and your attire, I would have to conclude that you are in fact some sort of wizard, and are therefore in little need of one. The scrolls are here as well, as are the pieces of a mapmaking kit."

"As to your other request... I am considering it, although the proposal itself is imprecise. For one, discretion is a character trait, and as such cannot be secured by another. Either one has it, or they do not. Likewise, if a nearby tribe of - let us say derro, for the sake of argument - are desperately hungry, one could posit that they 'need to know' of your location, lest they starve themselves. Are you in fact asking me to pretend as though my dealings here continue with the Children of Stone?"

It is not a moment later that Eyena arrives on the scene, the shape of the human woman framed in the light of the tunnel. Novvi acknowledges her with a slight nod. "If you will excuse us," the deep gnome says, "my customers and I are in the midst of striking a most clandestine bargain. Would it be possible for you to return in a few minutes' time?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-03-16 at 02:49 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Another arrow nocked. Another arrow fired. The gentle thrum leaves Gilraen with an oddly peaceful feeling.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 2
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    -1x +1 frost arrows
    Martial Flexibility: 5/5

Same thing:
    Use trait to reduce concealment for the target, because it moved. pew!
    (1d20+10)[18] (does not include PBS, or penalties for firing into melee)
    (1d20+10)[14] CC (30, x3)
    (1d8+3)[5] dmg
    (2d8+6)[20] crit bonus

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask grunted, perhaps a bit more alive for feeling some pain not of his own making. He looked at the strange creature before for just a moment, then aimed a swing at its face.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Move Action: Studied target vs. owl bear
    Attack (Power attacking): (1d20+10)[15]
    Dmg: (2d6+10)[19]
    CC: (1d20+10)[28]

24. - Top - End - #54

Ilsa & Ramiel

Thr summoner and the eidolon, having just finished arranging their items between themselves, acknowlwdged Eyena as she entered before turning to Novvi.

"This is Eyena. She is with us. Anything you say to Narek can be said around her," said Ramiel.

Ilsa, standing up, walked over to Eyena.

"Good timing. We were just about to go see our 'guest'," said Ilsa in a low voice. "Could you tell me where you put her?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek nodded, accepting his purchased items quietly and putting them away in his bag. Once he had his newly acquired gear, he listened to Novvi’s response. His eyes narrowed as she spoke, mentally growling at the inevitable clash of words that was about to begin. Before he could answer, Eyena appeared from behind them. His eyes never left Novvi, but he did quietly reps pins to sa’s assertion, ”That is not necessary true. But in this instance you are correct.

Now, as to discretion, we are discussing a personality trait, not a physical trait, such as being able to see in the dark or horns. Surely you’re not suggesting personality is as immutable as the color of your skin or the size of your species? As you are well aware, even physical facets can be changed, with magic ... or over time with selective breeding. I am certain that few children begin life understanding concepts like honesty or honor or discretion - but they can learn it.
    I
    As you seem to comprehend the literal meaning, I am confident you understand the intent beyond my request. To be clear, we do not want trouble any denizens of the Underdark - we would prefer any dealings be cordial and mutually beneficial or better for our people ... and ideally by our choice. Your example of starving derri could easily be handled with advanced notice to our people.

We would like to minimize contact with other surface dwellers, except again by our choice and where beneficial. In your travels and dealings, we would ask that you simply not divulge details of who we are, or provide speculations on why we are here. Hopefully, it will not come up. But we want to ensure that you do not information about us to potential enemies.

To secure ‘discretion’ we could kill you, but that is vulgar, unreasonable and seemingly unnecessary given your openness to discussion. Therefore we offer what we anticipate will be a lucrative trading agreement. Likely you will make more from this than we will, as most merchants do.

What day you?”

Narek waited patiently for Novvi’s response or counter.

Did Narek just sign his death warrant, or make a compelling arguement?
    Show
    F +1 R +3 W +6

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen, Rask

Unlike the downed owlbear, the living member of the mate pair has not seen the wisdom of hiding behind any cover: Gilraen's third arrow takes it in the side. Before it can even react, Rask follows up with another brutal swing of the hammer, nearly sending the large creature right down to the earth. In the moments that follow, the owlbear is surrounded as Ramus charges out of the brush to the south-west, catching it in a pincer maneuver with Rask. Unfortunately, his swing goes wide and the monster remains on its feet.

Letting out a terrifying roar, the owlbear retaliates! Its jaws snap shut on the half-orc's armor, bringing him in close at hand. Two claws - or paws, it's hard to tell what the difference is on a beast such as this - easily cut through the metal, spilling more of Rask's blood on the ground. After the second blow, the creature doesn't pull away, instead hoisting the warrior of the Shepherds right off of his feet. Clutched tight, there's no telling whether or not Rask will be able to escape this creature's frenzied throes.

Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

While this is looking like a shorter fight, the owlbear managed to do some damage this time! Two of its claws hit Rask for a total of 14 damage, and it got a natural 20 on its automatic grab, which means that the half-orc is grappled. He takes all of the associated penalties (as does the owlbear), which for him means that he can't wield his earth breaker since it is a two-handed weapon.

Eyena, Ilsa, Narek

For the briefest of seconds, you catch sight of an amused glimmer behind Novvi's eyes. She nods at Ilsa's vouching of Eyena and makes no more mention of exclusion. The deep gnome doesn't ever try to interrupt Narek, and indeed her expression returns to the same complete neutrality throughout the mage's rebuttal. She makes no motions while listening; no fidgeting, back straight, eyes unblinking. When Narek is finished speaking, she holds up an orderly hand to speak.

"I appreciate the added context to your demands, and find them to be eminently reasonable. While I would be interested at a further discussion about the natures of people and the development thereof, in the interest of time I will state that we can deal honestly, as you are an agent that I deem qualified to represent the interests of the people residing above us." Novvi stops for a moment, leaning in slightly.

"There is, of course, the matter of a favor owed. Your predecessors in these caves never sought out my silence, nor would I have offered it to them freely. I see no reason to extend you that courtesy, as we have only just met. If you kill me you may claim some reward, but given recourse to the alternative, you would be harming your own long term interests. Furthermore, after even a single meeting I get the impression that your allies would be... less than comfortable at the summary execution of an unarmed merchant. This returns us to the question of payment." Once more, the Darklands dweller pauses, although this time it is clearly an invitation for one of you to weigh in on the matter.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-03-23 at 05:21 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #57

Ilsa & Ramiel

Now eminently interested in the conversation, Ilsa and Ramiel stopped heading out and turned back to the conversation. If Novvi was going to demand payment for her silence, there was a need of further negotiation.

"And what kind of payment would you be asking for?"
    asked Ramiel. "Gold? A favor? A task of some kind?"

Spoiler: Loadout
    Show
    Sheathes
    R Hand: Wand of Hold Person (12/50 charges)
    L Hand: Tangleburn Bag
    Scroll Case: Silence

Abilities
    Summon Monster SLA: 8/8 as SM III
    Level 2 Spells: 6/6
    Level 1 Spells: 3/3

Ramiel's Ammo
    Regular Arrows: 50
    Blunt Arrows: 50
    Cold Iron Arrows: 49
    +1 Flaming Arrows: 2

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek gave a sharp bark of humorless laughter at the ‘unarmed’ comment. After Novvi finished, he gazed at her impassively. For a moment his eyes stared through her, as he quietly spoke. ”We all have blood on our hands, and have had to make hard decisions for the greater good.”

As his eyes focused back on Novvi’s, he continued. ”By way of payment, you are suggesting something more than the additional profit you are currently making on our transactions? You said yourself that we had more wealth than your previous trade partners. You are clearly offering us items at normal market value, while purchasing them at a cost half the item’s worth. Today alone, you likely are making more this trip than any number of past interactions with the Childten of Stone. I presume you are not trying to extort or leverage our desire for anonymity to broker extra financial gain. Obviously you wouldn’t treat your exemplar group of starving, helpless derro, desperately seeking food and shelter this way ... would you?”

Narek’s eyebrows raised, in mock surprise that this hospitable merchant could suggest such a thing. He quickly returned to his standard emotionless mien and said, ”Least we seem unfriendly or less than gracious, we will of course here your offer; as my companion has so diplomatically queried, what would you ask of us as payment for our ‘demands,’ as you put it?”

Narek waited quietly for her answer..

I’m not sure I’m the best negotiator...
    Show
    F +1 R +3 W +6
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-03-24 at 12:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena, Ilsa, Narek

"I sell all of my wares the same way, to all of my trading partners," Novvi replies with just a hint of defensiveness. "The rates are fairly standard, otherwise I would not be able to make a living. I tend not to give out specific information about my trades, but you should know that while the volume of good traded here today exceeds my last few trips to this location, you are still not my most valuable customers."

The svirfneblin turns to Ilsa next, as though she has just heard her question for the first time. "The matter would not come down to coin. Assuming that we all leave here with our limbs and wits intact, I imagine that our business relationship might be mutually profitable on its own." The white-haired figure sniffs slightly. "No, what I would ask of you is... information. The others I have spoken to have not revealed anything as to how you came to be here instead of the troglodytes, though I can imagine at least some trouble ensuing in that particular arena. I find it curious, that a band of humans and elves from the surface would willingly settle in these caverns. What is it that drove you here, and why have you stayed as long as you have?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #60

Ilsa & Ramiel

"The matter of our coming here is one that is... rather sensitive,
    " said Ramiel. "I will promise to share the details, but I would ask in exchange-" The azata extended his hand. "That you agree to keep what we share away from those who would seek us ill. If the wrong people were to learn, then the lives of these people could be put at risk, and neither I nor my summoner can risk that - nor will the rest of us." He nodded towards Eyena and Narek.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Ramiel entreaties Novvi.

(1d20+6)[11]

Spoiler: If Novvi agrees to keep the information private...
    Show
    Ramiel returned Novvi's grip firmly.

"It is a deal, then. The truth of the matter is that, some weeks past, the town of Phaendar was burnt to the ground by the hobgoblins of the Ironfang Legion. These people are all that remain, and so we have sought shelter here - at least for the time being."