New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

biggrin Costuming suggestions for a LARP character

I'm playing a character in a medieval fantasy LARP set in the Forgotten Realms planet of Abeir. The character is a Were-Crocodile loosely based on Steve Irwin (In that he's wanting to be an expert on all sorts of animals/races/creatures/monsters). I'll be trying to learn as much as I can in that regard to be able to tell where everything fits in the natural order, and as a lycanthrope, protect against things that are perversions against nature like Aberrations.
    I'm a warrior scholar character using throwing knives and a buckler.
    Myself personally, I'm tall and skinny with dark brown hair and glasses
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Costuming suggestions for a LARP character

Aren't were-crocodiles always evil?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

My suggestion? Go meta-comedic and get black jeans, a tan vest over a blue shirt, and a black bush hat with a ring of teeth around the top.

IOW, dress like Crocodile Dundee.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You could definitely go with a scale pattern on the shield, and if you're willing to include minimal facepaint in your garb you could similarly do a scale pattern there.

Also if this LARP involves any actual combat you should probably supplement the throwing knives with a one handed weapon of some sort, probably a sword.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Also if this LARP involves any actual combat you should probably supplement the throwing knives with a one handed weapon of some sort, probably a sword.
    Seconding this suggestion for having a main weapon. I tried a throwing knife character once, and after three or four shots it became a game of trying to pick up your daggers from around the enemy's feet so you can contribute to the fight again. And good luck trying to find them in the dark. I picked up a short sword very quickly after that.

For other costuming, go with scale makeup. It can be pretty easily and cheaply done by putting a fishnet over your skin and spraying colored hair spray over it to get the pattern. You don't need to do the full face; I would recommend just around the edges and leave the center of your face plain. Leather armor is probably also a good idea, bonus if you can find any with crocodile skin patterns. And lastly, I'd get one of those safari hats that's folded up on one side for the rugged scholar look.