New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Remnants of Cyre <Team One>

I know, says Templar as he works. But I cannot leave until every civilian is safe. Even if it means my destruction, I will protect them.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinar heads to the nearest open window, just in time to see a silvery warforged fall past the opening.

Fetch plumets by the window, but manages to catch himself on the window sill at the last moment. The warforged dangles by one hand mere feet above the clutching hands of the mass of undead outside the door. The window frame groans under the sudden strain of the heavy warforged, but holds . . . for now.

Hector ascends the rope as quickly as could be expected, and pull himself up onto the second floor landing.

Jacinth helps Hector to the landing while reloading his crossbow.

Reshmar leaves the kitchen and heads to the rope, Corporal Haviars and his men in tow. (I am assuming the pair of toughs are already upstairs after dismantling the stairs.)

Gronth moves to cover Templar as the warforged stubbornly goes to work on boarding up the window.

Templar discards his sword and begins to work to try and reseal the window. His work is hampered by the corpse hanging half in and half out the window.

Outside, most of the undead have become distracted by the silver warforged dangling above them. They swarm underneath Fetch, straining to reach him and drag him down, but thankfully the warforged is several feet above them. Some of the zombies, however, still work to push their way past the corpse wedged in the window, hungry to sink their teeth into those on the other side.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Kalinar steps back for a moment as the warforged plunges past, but seeing that he managed to grab hold of the windowsill, takes heart.

"Hold on a moment, once the others get up stairs, we'll have the rope available to pull you up."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #244

Templar works around the corpse dangling in the window, attempting to incorporate it into the structure.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Jacinth turns around and notices that Fetch is still clutching the window sill. "Uh oh, wait. Let's use one of these blankets... the rope will have to stay until we can evacuate the first floor. Here, help me hold this." He grabs one of the sturdier looking blankets on the beds and hangs it out the window, hopefully within easy reach of the warforged. He lowers his end so that the window sill acts like a winch (absorbs most of the weight), grabs on tight to his end and braces for the weight of the warforged.

The blankets large surface area should allow plenty of people to help him bear the weight.

As he braces to help the warforged up he says. "Note to self... always carry rope... or a really long tough scarf."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Kalinar moves to help Jacinth, nodding. Rope is like a towel, if you have it, you're always good to go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another attempt, assuming it's Str. (1d20+0)[13]

Why are the two weak caster types attempting str checks again? :P
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The warforged's stone and metal fingers dig into the failing window sill.
    Use caution! Together with my equipment, I weigh exactly 226.3 pounds! I will try to raise myself back into the building! Make way!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check - (1d20)[12]
    Action Point - (1d6)[6]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hector

Seeing the Warforged hanging out the window, Hector yells.

"How did you manage to wind up out there?!"

Seeing that he is attempting to scale the outside wall to get back into the window, Hector moves out of the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he fails to pull himself up, Hector will help if it's possible. ((Since Xbows don't seem to have much of an effect on these undead, I'm pretty much useless other than healing the wounded.))

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

With Kalinar and Jacinth's help, Fetch hauls himself back through the window.

Reshmar and the guards begin to climb the rope, as quickly as they can.

Templar continues his work, dispite the commontion, while Gronth continues to be on guard for the zombies to break through again. (BTW, how do you incorporate a corpse into a boarded up window?)

With Fetch no longer dangling out the window like a tasty morsel, the undead return to the window, trying to get in at the warforged and the human beyond.

10. - Top - End - #250

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    (BTW, how do you incorporate a corpse into a boarded up window?)
    Very Carefully

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theterran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Very Carefully
    Spoiler
    Show
    By pulling the body part way in, to where it's an exact fit, with one arm on the inside, one arm on the outside. You'd have to break an arm completely off to pull the body either way through.

Don't be stupid.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

"I'm not exactly sure how he got out there... but you've got to admit, he pulled off some pretty fancy moves doing it."

Jacinth returns to the stairway entrance and after making sure no one is trying to climb up, he pulls up the rope and cuts off the length not used in making the link to the first floor. He then hauls up the rest (about 30 feet I think) and begins tying one end of it securely to another support beam.

"Here, we can use this as a safety line so that we don't fall out the window and drown in a sea of flesh-eating zombies. Perhaps somebody should go first to climb up onto the roof and tie the other end onto something... Unless we want to punch a hole in the roof."

He looks up at the ceiling with a curious look on his face, then turns back to the barkeep. "Eh, sorry if we're kind of messing up your building. Its easy to get carried away in situations like this."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

(Sorry I wasn't able to update this thread yesterday. I was duck hunting with my Dad.)

Templar continues his work, attempting to board the window shut, when the corpse in the window reanimates, clawing for the warforged. (AoO for Templar and a Readied Action for Gronth).

Touch Attack:(1d20+2)[14]
    Grapple Check:(1d20+2)[6]

14. - Top - End - #254

Templar casts his hammer aside and rams a metal shoulder into the corpse. Heedless of the threat, he kneels down and picks up his longsword and hacks into his enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage - (1d4+4)[6]
    Grapple - (1d20+4)[12]
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-11-04 at 02:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[6]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing the corpse reanimate, Gronth growled again andchopped downward with his axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+3)[15]
    damage - (1d12+2)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Chars:
    Cora Hilltopple, Rogue 5/Fighter 2 (Left area of gaming group)
    Ethelon, Sorcerer 4 (Campaign postponed indefinitely)
    Altair De'Von, Cleric 1
    Gronth Gaar, Barbarian 1

Avatar is of Cora Hilltopple, made by me!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Templar's metal fist slams into the groping zombie, foiling its pathetic attempt at grabbing the warforged. Templar recovers his sword, but before he can strike Gronth's axe sinks deep into the thing's shoulder and it again ceases to move.

18. - Top - End - #258

Templar

Templar steadies himself as he moves to hack off the creature's head.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

(That was all I needed to hear. 100 xp to everyone for good role-playing, and we can drop out of inititive.)

Here's a quick status report:

Currently, the only ones left on the ground floor of the inn is Gronth and Templar. Templar has boarded up one of the three common room windows, and the zombies have yet to discover the other two, although that might change rapidly if someone were to go near them. The front door, barricaded with several heavy tables, is holding for now against the heavy blows of the walking dead. The only set of stairs to the second level has been dismantled. All that remains is the wooden frame that supported the steps, and that couldn't be negotiated by the clumsy undead.

In the kitchen, Corporal Haviars and the pair of guards have made some progress on boarding up the windows, although the job is far from done. The door, still barricaded with one of the cabinets, should still hold.

Upstairs, the inn's remaining patrons have all found somewhere to huddle. Most look somewhat frightened, being ordinary citizens with no combat experience. Everyone is avoiding the room where the wounded man died, animated as an undead, and was destroyed. Everyone is wondering where the rest of the town guard is, or where the army is, or where House Deneith is in all this commotion, hoping to be rescued from this nightmare.

20. - Top - End - #260

Templar

Templar trudges toward the kitchen to oversee the work there and provide security if necessary, his adamantium bulk doing its best to avoid the windows.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Jacinth tugs on the rope, making sure its securely attached to the support beam. "Okay, I've got this rope tied off at this end. Now we just need someone to head out this window to the roof. I suppose I should do it, since I suspect that our warforged companions would have some difficulty of it. And I think it was my idea to head up to the roof in the first place."

He looks out the window to see how far down the zombies are, then looks up to see how far up the roof is. (I'm guessing its a ten-foot drop or so from here to the zombies clutches, and perhaps less than that to the roofs edge.)

He then removes his studded armor to lighten himself. He sets this in the sack he brough to keep his stuff in and sets it down. He straps his crossbow to his back and puts a few tools in his pocket. He ties the end of the rope around his waist, and loops a section of it around a bedpost or other wooden beam to better bear the weight.

"Okay, I've got this rope around my waist so I don't lose it and hopefully make it easier to keep me from falling. You guys keep a hold on this and feed the line to me as I climb up. Without my armor I should weigh around 221 lbs so It shouldn't be too bad..."

He pulls himself together and carefully starts to climb out the window after the others get a hold on the safety rope.

Spoiler
    Show
    climb check: (1d20+0)[17] I didn't put in a modifier because I'm not sure if any of theseother things give a bonus to climb upwards.
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-11-05 at 12:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The mithral warforged looks cautiously out the window as Jacinth begins his climb, close enough to the rope that he can grab should the worst come to pass.
    Use caution.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

I need a Reflex Save from Jacinth and a Strength check from Fetch (and anyone else holding the rope).

24. - Top - End - #264

Hector

Grasping the rope as instructed...Hector wonders...

Why don't we just wait until morning to sort this out...

As soon as he thinks this, he feels a strong tug on the rope. At this point he verbalizes his thought.

"Why don't we hold up in here until morning so we can get a better idea of what we're up against? The light could illuminate much!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check - (1d20+1)[19]
    Last edited by theterran; 2007-11-07 at 07:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Reflex save: (1d20+1)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

As Jacinth falls, the mithral warforged braces his legs against the window sill as he pulls on the rope with all his might.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check - (1d20)[9]
    Action Point - (1d6)[6]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Jacinth slips from the wall as he climbs. He falls and reaches for the open window, but can't get a grip. He dangles on the end of the rope, his legs a mere foot from the reaching arms of the undead below, supported only by the strength of Fetch and Hector.

Spoiler
    Show

No checks needed to pull him up now, just needed the checks to stop the falling artificer.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

After Jacinth is safely pulled back up, he moves safely away from the window. His face fluctuating from startled white to embarrassed red.

"Thank you... thank you very much."

After he catches his breath he says "Well... that wall is too tough to climb. Though it might be usable if we nailed some pitons into it... but now I think I agree with Hector. We should wait for morning."

He asks both Fetch and Templar if they need any repairs, if they do then he casts repair light damage on them. First from his remaining infusion and second with his Mark of Making.

After all this, he finds a spot on the floor and falls asleep.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

Hector

Glad that someone is finally listening to him, he turns his attention to those still downstairs.

"Who's left downstairs? One of the metal men and who else?"
    Last edited by theterran; 2007-11-07 at 07:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Templar

Templar finishes up the repairs in the kitchen, and then becomes inert. He stays that way, indistinguishable from an inanimate object throughout all the night.