New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Superman Vs. Pun-Pun

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    So I just did a Google search for Pun-Pun because I have no idea who/what he/she/it is. What I found was "god of munchkin-ery" and some kind of crudely drawn bird thing.

Anyone what to elaborate because I have no idea if my search results were even close.
    Pun-Pun or as close, as I think, you will get since (now!) Dr.Samurai's original post on the WotC boards went along with it.

The long of the short of it is Pun-Pun is an exercise from the old WotC builds for D&D 3.5 in the ultimate theorhetical optimisation (note the "theorhetical, it's VERY important!), using abilities - and in particular, an incredible poorly-worded ability from one of the Forgotten Realms source-books from an obscure monster - to create an unlimitedly powerful character build. (I suspect a lot of Pun-Pun's traction also stems from Dr.Samurai choosing to do it with a Kobold with a catchy-name, but it is, I recall pretty possible to do with anything, though without reading it all again, being reptilian/draconic makes it a little easier.)

The original build was at 12th level, but thanks to Pazuzu-abuse, it can be done at first level.

The god-of munchkin-ery part followed from that.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-02-13 at 10:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

It abuses some rules to gain stats of arbitrary height, divinity and apparently whatever abilities it wants https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pu...aracter_Build)
    Edit: ah didn't see the next page.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2019-02-13 at 10:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Pun-Pun or as close, as I think, you will get since (now!) Dr.Samurai's original post on the WotC boards went along with it.

The long of the short of it is Pun-Pun is an exercise from the old WotC builds for D&D 3.5 in the ultimate theorhetical optimisation (note the "theorhetical, it's VERY important!), using abilities - and in particular, an incredible poorly-worded ability from one of the Forgotten Realms source-books from an obscure monster - to create an unlimitedly powerful character build. (I suspect a lot of Pun-Pun's traction also stems from Dr.Samurai choosing to do it with a Kobold with a catchy-name, but it is, I recall pretty possible to do with anything, though without reading it all again, being reptilian/draconic makes it a little easier.)

The original build was at 12th level, but thanks to Pazuzu-abuse, it can be done at first level.

The god-of munchkin-ery part followed from that.
    This is all spot on. I was afraid if I tried to make it a cool bad-ass theoretical build people would be turned off to it because it would be like someone bragging about something so obviously broken and impossible to use at an actual table. So I tried to make it more goofy and funny by making it a kobold (one of the weaker monsters) and giving it a goofy name, because I was more interested in where we could take it.

Still, it received a mix of hate and interest, but I think that's normal. We had a lot of fun messing around with it, and it spawned a sub-forum off the CO forum (Theoretical Optimization).

So another poster (Ex_Machina, I think) had posted a build that used Manipulate Form to do something else. Nothing on a par with Pun-Pun. But when I looked at the ability to follow along with what they were doing, I realized it could be used to do much more, and that's when I posted "The Most Powerful Character. Ever."

I totally forgot the 1st level version was a Psion. I thought I made him a paladin. Maybe there's a version in the original thread where he's a paladin.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

IIRC, he was a Paladin at one point because Pazuzu is said to deal more 'fairly' with Paladins - he likes corrupting them more than most, so he won't screw them on the first deal he makes.