New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Paladin Oath Spells & Protection Stance.

Double Paladin Question -

When you each level 3 you choose which Oath (as a Paladin) to follow. As such, you get "Oath Spells" that you always have memorized.

My question is - do those occupy a spell slot? For example, can you cast them but they cost a slot or are they like cantrips?

Next, protection stance allows you to disadvantage an enemy attacking someone next to you.

Now, do you pick one target to do this to? If so, are you protecting a single target or targeting an enemy specifically?

So for example, you have the Paladin and the Cleric side by side, fighting.

Paladin goes into Protection Stance - to help the Cleric.

Now say there's two orcs attacking (we will call them Orc1 and Orc2 - their parents hated them).

Now does the Paladin disadvantage both Orc1 and Orc2 to protect the Cleric (assuming melee attacks).

Or does the Paladin pick Orc1 to disadvantage? But Orc2 would not be disadvantaged?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Oath Spells & Protection Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Double Paladin Question -

When you each level 3 you choose which Oath (as a Paladin) to follow. As such, you get "Oath Spells" that you always have memorized.

My question is - do those occupy a spell slot? For example, can you cast them but they cost a slot or are they like cantrips?
    All Paladin spells cost spell slots. The difference is, the ones under your Oath do not count towards spells you have prepared for the day. You have a sort of Prepared Spells budget that you get to spend on spells from the Paladin Spell List, and your Oath Spells don't count towards your budget. They still cost spell slots, though. Only cantrips don't cost spell slots.

Next, protection stance allows you to disadvantage an enemy attacking someone next to you.

Now, do you pick one target to do this to? If so, are you protecting a single target or targeting an enemy specifically?

To protect your friend from a single attack, you must spend your Reaction to cause Disadvantage against that single attack roll. You only get 1 Reaction each round, so after you blocked the attack you want to block, you're out of Reactions for the round.

So if Orc1 attacked twice, you could only cause Disadvantage to 1 of those attacks. If your Cleric was attacked a separate turn by Orc2, you still wouldn't be able to spend a Reaction you don't have. When it gets back to the start of your turn, you get your Reaction back.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-02-13 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    All Paladin spells cost spell slots. The difference is, the ones under your Oath do not count towards spells you have prepared for the day. You have a sort of Prepared Spells budget that you get to spend on spells from the Paladin Spell List, and your Oath Spells don't count towards your budget. They still cost spell slots, though. Only cantrips don't cost spell slots.
    Perfect. That's what I thought!

To protect your friend from a single attack, you must spend your Reaction to cause Disadvantage against that single attack roll. You only get 1 Reaction each round, so after you blocked the attack you want to block, you're out of Reactions for the round.

So if Orc1 attacked twice, you could only cause Disadvantage to 1 of those attacks. If your Cleric was attacked a separate turn by Orc2, you still wouldn't be able to spend a Reaction you don't have. When it gets back to the start of your turn, you get your Reaction back.
    Awesome. So it doesn't matter if Orc1 or Orc2 is attacking (they're quite bitter about their lame name). I wanted to make sure it wasn't a single monster you target to attempt to disadvantage or if you're "aware" of any attack made towards your friend.

So for example, if Orc1 is fighting the Paladin and Cleric. Orc1 swings, misses the Paladin. Paladin attacks Orc1, and hits. Still has a Reaction left. Orc2 moves half their movement, and makes a melee attack against the Cleric - the Paladin can still disadvantage Orc2 even though Orc2 wasn't in melee when the Paladin's turn passed.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-02-13 at 05:58 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

4. - Top - End - #4

So for example, if Orc1 is fighting the Paladin and Cleric. Orc1 swings, misses the Paladin. Paladin attacks Orc1, and hits. Still has a Reaction left. Orc2 moves half their movement, and makes a melee attack against the Cleric - the Paladin can still disadvantage Orc2 even though Orc2 wasn't in melee when the Paladin's turn passed.
    That's exactly correct. Now, with how Protector is written, you have to declare you're using it BEFORE the attack is rolled. Some people assume it takes place after, but that's not accurate. So if Orc1 attacked the Cleric instead of you, you'd have to make the choice to attempt to deflect it or not, which could lead to a wasted roll.

Personally, I like the idea of making it so that if both rolls are too low to hit the target, you regain your Reaction. This way, it doesn't seem like it was a waste if the enemy was never able to hit in the first place.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

5. - Top - End - #5

That's exactly correct. Now, with how Protector is written, you have to declare you're using it BEFORE the attack is rolled. Some people assume it takes place after, but that's not accurate. So if Orc1 attacked the Cleric instead of you, you'd have to make the choice to attempt to deflect it or not, which could lead to a wasted roll.

Personally, I like the idea of making it so that if both rolls are too low to hit the target, you regain your Reaction. This way, it doesn't seem like it was a waste if the enemy was never able to hit in the first place.
    Thank you, sir! I actually like that idea as well.

6. - Top - End - #6

Another quick question about the Protection stance - can they use their reaction to disadvantage a target attacking them?

So for example could the Paladin use protection stance to disadvantage an orc attacking him/her?

7. - Top - End - #7

Another quick question about the Protection stance - can they use their reaction to disadvantage a target attacking them?

So for example could the Paladin use protection stance to disadvantage an orc attacking him/her?
    Quote Originally Posted by Protection Fighting Style
    When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
    Sorry, nope!

5th Edition Homebrewery

8. - Top - End - #8

Sorry, nope!
    Perfect! Didn't have my PHB with me at the time. :)