New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frozen 2

1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Frozen 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    There's probably more to it though. In the first movie Else conjured free standing staircases, entire castles and living creatures out of thin air. It doesn't seem to be that much of a stretch for her to create any kind of thing that would let her travel over the tops of the waves. Even if she can only do it with cold air, she seemed pretty good at conjuring that up out of hot air as well.
    I think the problem is the power of the ocean. She can create a castle on a flat unmoving surface sure, but the constantly moving ocean with its untold tons of weight behind it, I would imagine it would take a rather extreme amount of power to freeze the entire stretch of ocean with its constant waves. Before it has time to thicken the water is moving, twisting, and shoving the ice, shattering it with ease.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

It's rather probably since Elsa's out of control power was the antagonist of the first film, her blunt power gets nerfed for the sequel now that she has control so she doesn't steamroll the adventure they're going on. Either in overall potency or it gets specific restrictions introduced. A lot of sequels do this.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last time I clicked on a Frozen2 trailer, I got rickroll'd by Wreck-it Ralph
    random hum :)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldagriff View Post
    Wouldn't that be Ralph-Rolled?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pheldagriff View Post
    Was it this one?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

So real question. Elsa created life, Elsa created Olaf out of nothing.

So does this mean that Olaf is now part of the Arendelle line of succession?

The Disney Metaphysics and Political Constructs in me needs to know!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #67
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

If she used water from herself to create him, he might legally be an heir of her body. If he was built entirely from ambient moisture in the air, he's ineligible.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-02-16 at 05:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why is this the first time this thought has crossed my mind? Now I'm having flashbacks to futurama when Fry became king of the planet of liquid people...
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If she used water from herself to create him, he might legally be an heir of her body. If he was built entirely from ambient moisture in the air, he's ineligible.
    I was going to suggest an adopted child could be heir but at least in England that is very much so a big NO. "To have succession rights, you have to be a Protestant descendant of the Electress Sophia." So unless her nation has different laws of succession even someone who could technically be considered an adopted child could not take the throne.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I was going to suggest an adopted child could be heir but at least in England that is very much so a big NO. "To have succession rights, you have to be a Protestant descendant of the Electress Sophia." So unless her nation has different laws of succession even someone who could technically be considered an adopted child could not take the throne.
    Wasn't the country in Frozen based on like Norway or Denmark or something though? I would look at their succession laws instead.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Wasn't the country in Frozen based on like Norway or Denmark or something though? I would look at their succession laws instead.
    Not just the location but the time as well. Succession law has a habit of changing over the centuries depending on what the powerful figures want at any given time.

In this case, Frozen is in some made up spot. But a quick google search tells me the art was taken from 1840s Norway. So that’s probably the closest you’d get.

And as luck would have it, Norway in 1840 was ruled by Charles III first of house Bernadotte, adopted son of the last king who had no other heir.

He wasn’t even born in Norway.

12. - Top - End - #72

Not at all. Non-humans cannot hold regency.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Not at all. Non-humans cannot hold regency.
    Hey, if things keep going like this...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I think the problem is the power of the ocean. She can create a castle on a flat unmoving surface sure, but the constantly moving ocean with its untold tons of weight behind it, I would imagine it would take a rather extreme amount of power to freeze the entire stretch of ocean with its constant waves. Before it has time to thicken the water is moving, twisting, and shoving the ice, shattering it with ease.
    I'm not doubting the power of the sea, I'm doubting her questionable decision not to work around it. Maybe build like a diving board overhanging the sea and sort of glide on frozen air from there, or build a bridge with its pillars behind the surf, or breathe life into a giant snowbird, or... She's doing some very basic freeze magic there.

Although Legato could be right, maybe she just plain can't do those things now for the entire movie, no dramatic arc needed.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-16 at 07:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm not doubting the power of the sea, I'm doubting her questionable decision not to work around it. Maybe build like a diving board overhanging the sea and sort of glide on frozen air from there, or build a bridge with its pillars behind the surf, or breathe life into a giant snowbird, or... She's doing some very basic freeze magic there.

Although Legato could be right, maybe she just plain can't do those things now for the entire movie, no dramatic arc needed.
    Honestly, im going to want to see a pretty detailed explanation behind the physics of "she just creates a giant ice platform over the sea".

Seas tend to be big. Even if she has the power to create such a platform, its going to collapse under its own weight well before it gets any useful distance for walking.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Honestly, im going to want to see a pretty detailed explanation behind the physics of "she just creates a giant ice platform over the sea".

Seas tend to be big. Even if she has the power to create such a platform, its going to collapse under its own weight well before it gets any useful distance for walking.
    She only needs to get past the surf. A hundred meters, maybe 200. After that she can basically just walk on water. It's a similar distance to the gap she thoughtlessly bridged while singing the first time she was free to use her powers since she was 8. There's a lot of things she could try for that. Maybe create a semi-immortal giant ice monster to carry her through the surf? My point is that we've seen her do much more powerful, much more complicated ánd much cleverer magic than this. Combining those aspects should give her a way past the surf.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-02-17 at 03:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe the sea has its own magic and it's more resistant to Elsa's powers than the pliable waters of Arendelle. Maybe Elsa has a mental block about the ocean because he parents died in a shipwreck. Maybe something in the plot is interfering with her powers. Maybe they just left out the part where Elsa solved the problem with ice magic because it's not suitable trailer material. Etc.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Maybe the sea has its own magic and it's more resistant to Elsa's powers than the pliable waters of Arendelle. Maybe Elsa has a mental block about the ocean because he parents died in a shipwreck. Maybe something in the plot is interfering with her powers. Maybe they just left out the part where Elsa solved the problem with ice magic because it's not suitable trailer material. Etc.
    Well, yeah, exactly. And that's why I started this line of conversation with "There's probably more to it though".
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #79

She only needs to get past the surf. A hundred meters, maybe 200. After that she can basically just walk on water. It's a similar distance to the gap she thoughtlessly bridged while singing the first time she was free to use her powers since she was 8. There's a lot of things she could try for that. Maybe create a semi-immortal giant ice monster to carry her through the surf? My point is that we've seen her do much more powerful, much more complicated ánd much cleverer magic than this. Combining those aspects should give her a way past the surf.
    Also something to keep in mind is, as anyone who is a fan of comics will agree, the characters often do BAFFLING things when we as readers are aware of the scale of their powers and how they could theoretically end a problem. And again, the gap she bridged wasnt being forcibly shoved by hundreds or thousands of tons of water, it just had to support its own weight with no other stresses. We quite literally saw her try to freeze a path, it lasted less than 2 seconds before the movement of the water broke it. As for making a giant ice abomination, for all we know she doesnt do that anymore because creating life that depends on staying frozen to survive is kinda crappy of a thing to do. Considering how well ice floats on water, it may not be viable to create a ice monster to carry her out to sea. And again, these are waves that are like, 20-30 feet high going by the one she tried to freeze, not counting how deep the water itself is there. Creating a 60 foot tall monster thats solid enough to resist the force of the waves and mobile enough to carry her through them till she leaves the surf behind is no small feat. Yes yes she made a tower. Again, a solid tower of ice that had to do nothing but not collapse under its own weight versus a moving ice creation 6 stories tall or more fighting against the power of the sea.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The snow-flake at the end of the trailer has 4 prongs each with a distinctly different mark/rune pattern on them. The same diamond-shaped/runed prongs feature heavily in the promotional material, at one point "raining" down around the bewildered-looking protagonists.

Since Elsa brought in endless winter and Frozen 2 seems to be going down the route of having a character attached to some kind of Autumn setting, I'm going to go out on a limb and expect that the "2 of 4" is significant and that we're going to meet 2 other girls, one for Spring and another for Summer, at some point.

Well, somebody at the Disney animation office has been watching too much RWBY.

More seriously, it looks interesting. Somehow, I got vague HtTYD vibes from it, which was peculiar.
    My immediate thought was that they were reigning quite happily at the beginning of the movie, and some unknown magic force appears and threatens the kingdom, and they have to venture out to defeat it.
    Also, the original Frozen made ice look fairly easy to walk on, but in this trailer Else literally runs up a slope of ice in bare feet. Does that seem off to anyone else?

And finally, I just can't take that reindeer scene seriously. I mean, that guy now raising an army of reindeer (which is what I'm pretty sure has happened) is the moment when the trailer completely jumped the shark for me. Not quite enough to ruin it, mind, but... boy, oh boy...
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post

Well, somebody at the Disney animation office has been watching too much RWBY.

More seriously, it looks interesting. Somehow, I got vague HtTYD vibes from it, which was peculiar.
    My immediate thought was that they were reigning quite happily at the beginning of the movie, and some unknown magic force appears and threatens the kingdom, and they have to venture out to defeat it.
    Also, the original Frozen made ice look fairly easy to walk on, but in this trailer Else literally runs up a slope of ice in bare feet. Does that seem off to anyone else?

And finally, I just can't take that reindeer scene seriously. I mean, that guy now raising an army of reindeer (which is what I'm pretty sure has happened) is the moment when the trailer completely jumped the shark for me. Not quite enough to ruin it, mind, but... boy, oh boy...
    Elsa's an definitely an Ice Witch, so I would accept that stunt as her feet sticking to the ice without bother her because of it being ice.

My question is how she gets back to shore.