New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default February 2019 Nintendo Direct

Didn't seem to be a thread for it yet so making one. Link.

Personal Highlights:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Daemon x Machina demo out! Will only be able to play it later today but pretty awesome to release it ahead of the actual game.
    -Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Dragon Quest XI with the ability to toggle between 3D and 2D pixel graphics!
    -Fire Emblem 3 Houses delayed a bit to July 26 2019, bunch of extra story and mechanic details. New avatar character is Ike the son/daughter of a renowed mercenary leader who somehow ends up a teacher in an officers school in a tiny country surrounded by the 3 big continental powers that all send their main heirs to study there (nevermind that one of said nations is supposed to have neither kings nor emperors so how exactly is there an heir?). There's also 3 "houses" of students, one for each country and you'll need to align with one of them. And like a good teacher you take your students to potentially lethal battles to take care of local problems between lessons. You get to pick what to teach to push your team in certain directions. Class changes are now school exams and the example they use for that is hilariously a brigand. Also new dragon girl directly talks to protagonist in their dreams. Not sure if to expect high-level politics as you need to carefully balance things between the 3 houses to avoid a new war breaking out between their respective countries, or if this will be high-school simulator Fire Emblem edition with a touch of Harry Potter.
    -Astral Chain, new IP from Platinium looking pretty awesome, some kind of futuristic Kamen Raider with pet robots, even if the plot looks to be a kinda generic "you were working for the true villain all along!". Hoping there's some extra twist.
    -Link's Awakening 3D remake!
    -Tetris Battle Royal!
    -Bloodstained Ritual of the Night also looking pretty awesome!
    -Final Fantasy IX out in the eshop and Final Fantasy VII to follow soon!
    -All of the above coming out this year, most in summer!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: February 2019 Nintendo Direct

The finally did it.
    Those madmen.
    Fire emblem has gone full anime

If you haven't heard, your character is a professor for a high school with an odd amount of people with wild hair colors and secret destinies.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A remake for Link's Awakening? Color me interested in actually getting a Switch. Unless its for 3DS. Then color me interested for maybe getting one of those.

Now excuse while I go cry listening to the Ballad of the Wind Fish...
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2019-02-13 at 11:40 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I watched it. The big things for me:

- Smash getting a big patch and Joker by the end of April. Okay, it's not much news, but still, a release window for Joker is very appreciated.
    - Fire Emblem: 3 Houses looking good. The whole thing with making your main character a teacher in a school is an odd choice, but might make for an interesting and potentially fun new angle for the series. And I was relieved that even though they mentioned you'll have to choose between the three houses/nations there was no mention of it being split into separate games like Fates was. I liked Fates well enough and all (stupidity of Conquest's storyline aside), but do not want to see that become the norm of the series. It is annoyingly releasing less than two months after Persona Q2 though. Guess I'll have to make a point of getting through that game fast.
    - Astral Chain looked intriguing even before I knew who was making it. When I found out it was Platinum, I was pretty close to sold. Going to want to see a little more of it before I decide to make it a day 1 buy, but considering Platinum is right up there Atlus and ArcSystem Works as far as developers I have total confidence in within their areas of expertise, I probably will be getting it.
    - I'm not sure if I'm more relieved that they actually acknowledged Bayonetta 3's existence for the first time in over a year, or annoyed that they had absolutely nothing to say beyond "they're still working on it, stay tuned for more."

Beyond that, I was also slightly intrigued by that pseudo-Castlevania title, Bloodstained. I liked playing Symphony of the Night in the days before Smash released, and it looks similar to that, so I might consider giving it a try. And the Switch version of DQ11 getting extra content is kind of annoying - hope they release that as DLC for the PS4 version. I liked that game enough that I'd like to see whatever this content is, but I don't particularly want to buy a whole new copy of it at full price to do it.

The Zelda remake... eh. Not exactly one of my favorite Zeldas, and I'm not a huge fan of the art style (it looks kind of like claymation for some reason, it's weird), so I'll likely pass on that.

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    (nevermind that one of said nations is supposed to have neither kings nor emperors so how exactly is there an heir?).
    It sounded to me like they had an aristocracy, just as more of an oligarchy situation rather than a monarchy (it's described as a "league of nobles that heeds no king nor emperor"). He's probably the heir of the most influential noble of the nation or something.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-02-14 at 12:01 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The finally did it.
    Those madmen.

If you haven't heard, your character is a professor for a high school with an odd amount of people with wild hair colors and secret destinies.
    Now now, to be full anime you would also be one of the students with most of the teachers going along your whims plus an absurdly powerful student council getting to declare war against other countries and stuff.

Plus "I'm publically the heir of a big country" is hardly a "secret destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    - Fire Emblem: 3 Houses looking good. The whole thing with making your main character a teacher in a school is an odd choice, but might make for an interesting and potentially fun new angle for the series. And I was relieved that even though they mentioned you'll have to choose between the three houses/nations there was no mention of it being split into separate games like Fates was. I liked Fates well enough and all (stupidity of Conquest's storyline aside), but do not want to see that become the norm of the series.
    I'm hoping that there's 3 actual distinct storylines in one game too, but my cynic side says that whichever houge you pick will just change a few bits and the story will mostly play the same regardless of who you side with.

- I'm not sure if I'm more relieved that they actually acknowledged Bayonetta 3's existence for the first time in over a year, or annoyed that they had absolutely nothing to say beyond "they're still working on it, stay tuned for more."
    Ah, that too.

Still gotta respect Nintendo in that they only show a game when they actually have gameplay working, instead of "here's this awesome pre-render", then the actual game comes out years later looking completely different and often for the worst.

It sounded to me like they had an aristocracy, just as more of an oligarchy situation rather than a monarchy (it's described as a "league of nobles that heeds no king nor emperor"). He's probably the heir of the most influential noble of the nation or something.
    Could be, but then they're just a nation of hypocrites, because "most influential noble of the nation" whose kid is already chosen to succeed him in ruling the country is literally just a king by any other name.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

6. - Top - End - #6

Now now, to be full anime you would also be one of the students with most of the teachers going along your whims plus an absurdly powerful student council getting to declare war against other countries and stuff.

Plus "I'm publically the heir of a big country" is hardly a "secret destiny".
    Come now, I'm predicting 3 dragons, a few fey, and at least a couple reincarnated heroes.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Beyond that, I was also slightly intrigued by that pseudo-Castlevania title, Bloodstained. I liked playing Symphony of the Night in the days before Smash released, and it looks similar to that, so I might consider giving it a try.
    No surprise. It's the brainchild of Koji Igarashi, the original creator of Castlevania, including SotN.

Hopefully it doesn't go full Mighty No. 9, because it looks good.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2019-02-14 at 12:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hoping that there's 3 actual distinct storylines in one game too, but my cynic side says that whichever houge you pick will just change a few bits and the story will mostly play the same regardless of who you side with.
    Eh, it would certainly be nice if each house became a distinct storyline like each choice in Fates did, but I think that if that were the case they most likely would have split it into multiple games the way they did with Fates. And honestly, I think I'll take one game with minor variations over three games that need to be bought separately.

Could be, but then they're just a nation of hypocrites, because "most influential noble of the nation" whose kid is already chosen to succeed him in ruling the country is literally just a king by any other name.
    Uh, no, not really. "Most influential member of a group government" and "sole ruler of an entire nation" are two completely different things.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Come now, I'm predicting 3 dragons, a few fey, and at least a couple reincarnated heroes.
    Well yeah, fire emblem is basically western fantasy filtered through anime strategy lens. of course there is going to be secret destinies.

I bet you there is going to be at least one legendary sword that only one guy can wield to solve something.

I also bet money on at least one student being a princess who sneaked into the school despite their parents wanting her to marry some guy.

I will be legitimately surprised for a fantasy if:
    -a character decides to revolutionize warfare with crossbows
    -a character is a bourgeois intellectual who speaks out against the evils of the nobility and starts a rebellion
    -the knights are just heavily armored killers on horses with no actual chivalric, paladinic, bushido code or otherwise
    -any prophecy turns out to be nothing but bull
    -any of the secret destinies turns out to be a scam by the magical entities informing them of said destiny to accomplish some other end and they take back the power they gave to the hero.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, no, not really. "Most influential member of a group government" and "sole ruler of an entire nation" are two completely different things.
    That's true, but kings were never "sole ruler of an entire nation". They always had to carefully negotiate with the country's noble families to rule the nation and kings that failed to do so properly wouldn't be kings for very long. For most of the time, a king was just a "first among equals" between the noble families, aka the most influential member of a group government.

I'll take you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well yeah, fire emblem is basically western fantasy filtered through anime strategy lens. of course there is going to be secret destinies.

I bet you there is going to be at least one legendary sword that only one guy can wield to solve something.

I also bet money on at least one student being a princess who sneaked into the school despite their parents wanting her to marry some guy.

I will be legitimately surprised for a fantasy if:
    -a character decides to revolutionize warfare with crossbows
    -a character is a bourgeois intellectual who speaks out against the evils of the nobility and starts a rebellion
    -the knights are just heavily armored killers on horses with no actual chivalric, paladinic, bushido code or otherwise
    -any prophecy turns out to be nothing but bull
    -any of the secret destinies turns out to be a scam by the magical entities informing them of said destiny to accomplish some other end and they take back the power they gave to the hero.

Cough Xenoblade Chronicles cough.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-02-14 at 12:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The finally did it.
    Those madmen.

I for one welcome the chance to play as Muscle Dumbledore teaching in an Anime Highschool. The last few fire emblem games have been a bit of a disappointment to me but I still hold out hope and if nothing else this seems to be trying for something new.

3D remake of Links Awakening are probably the 5 best words in the English language, just short of DRAGON QUEST 11 out TODAY or Introducing Battle Net Character Transfer.

Everything else looks good, Nintendo is really batting a thousand lately.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

For those interested in Bloodstained : it's the sequel to a game that's already out for a year, featuring mostly the same style, so...

I'm kind of intrigued by the LA remake... I really love the Gameboy Zeldas and even though I haven't gotten around to LbW yet, but I heard a lot of good things about it. if they release it on the 3DS too, I'll probably man up and buy both.

Edit: should have researched before posting.. LA will be on the Switch. So I guess no 3DS after all.
    Last edited by Kato; 2019-02-14 at 06:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Good Lord, the mad men did it! They're adding slopes to Mario Maker! SLOPES!!!

Oh and Angry Sun, Snake Blocks, SMW's On/Off blocks, 3D World Style (with Cat Suit), WATER IN NON-UNDERWATER LEVELS!!!

Oh yeah there was a bunch of other stuff, I kinda blanked out for half an hour there BECAUSE THERE'S GONNA BE SLOPES!!!
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

They've pushed back DQ11's release to Fall 2019. I'm not surprised, I thought their original timeline seemed a bit rushed. Well, looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Literally nothing else in the announcement peaked my interest. And the Link's Awakening remix just looks... bad. I mean, I'm already getting Secret of Mana Remastered vibes from it, loosing what made it special in favor of shiny but poorly done graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Mario maker 2 might actually be the thing that pushes me over and make the switch, my first console since the original game boy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

That's true, but kings were never "sole ruler of an entire nation". They always had to carefully negotiate with the country's noble families to rule the nation and kings that failed to do so properly wouldn't be kings for very long. For most of the time, a king was just a "first among equals" between the noble families, aka the most influential member of a group government.
    Whether that's historically true or not, it's certainly not how monarchies get portrayed in basically any piece of media, which is what we're looking at here.

17. - Top - End - #17

Whether that's historically true or not, it's certainly not how monarchies get portrayed in basically any piece of media, which is what we're looking at here.
    I think they were aiming for an elector situation where each territory remains sovereign and the crown waxes and wanes in power like the late HRE or Poland-Lituania. The latter especially had a "ruler" that there are no amounts of quotes to make that word sound sarcastic enough.

edit- the other two factions appear to be traditional feudal and... either height HRE or Reconquered Hispania
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2019-02-14 at 09:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I think they were aiming for an elector situation where each territory remains sovereign and the crown waxes and wanes in power like the late HRE or Poland-Lituania. The latter especially had a "ruler" that there are no amounts of quotes to make that word sound sarcastic enough.

edit- the other two factions appear to be traditional feudal and... either height HRE or Reconquered Hispania
    Eh, I can't speak to the real-world comparisons there, but I did not get the impression that any sort electors were involved in the third nation there. They called it a "league of nobles" - sounds like just a straight oligarchy to me. No single specific head of state, but a group of aristocrats running things jointly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

What, did you miss Game of Thrones?

Or Lord of the Rings where the good kingdom of Gondor has the Stewards actually running things?

Or King Arthur's round table that was round because king and knights were all supposed to count as equals?

Or all the previous Fire Emblems where the protagonist king suggests something and his main nobles go "No, that's an awful idea and will get us all killed, let's do something else instead"? Awakening where Exalt Chrom lets some hobo he found on the street participiate in major country decisions? Or that whoever ends as his wife replies to his command for her to stay in the kitchen taking care of baby Lucina with "Haha good joke, we got nurses for that, I'm going to war with you.".

Even the first Fire Emblem had this epic moment:

"If you disobey your king to ensure his subject's safety, how is that a betrayal? You are protecting his reign."

So even princess Caeda back in the day agreed that the nobles just blindly obeying a king is no good for anyone.

Political intrigues between king and nobility have always been a staple of fantasy monarchies since basically forever.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-02-15 at 04:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Literally nothing else in the announcement peaked my interest.
    Not even Tetris Battle Royale?
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    No surprise. It's the brainchild of Koji Igarashi, the original creator of Castlevania, including SotN.

Hopefully it doesn't go full Mighty No. 9, because it looks good.
    Actually I think SotN was Koji's first castlevania, but he worked on all the similar ones that came afterwards (i.e. Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin), which is why they call Bloodstained an 'Igavania'.

They released a beta demo a long while ago that was good.

I want to try out the Daemon x Machina demo myself, been looking to that for a while. And I got the super catchy Tal Tal Heights music in my head when I saw the Link's Awakening remake news.

Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem should also be fun, I really couldn't get into Echoes, and this is reminding me of Valkyria Chronicles 2 in a way..though hopefully it won't have some of the terrible design that game had.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

22. - Top - End - #22

If the 3D remake of Link’s Awakening is for 3DS, then I'll probably get it on day one. If it's for switch, then that might be what finally pushes me to get a switch.

I'm curious to learn more about Astral Chain.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2019-02-15 at 09:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    If the 3D remake of Link to the Past is for 3DS, then I'll probably get it on day one. If it's for switch, then that might be what finally pushes me to get a switch.

I'm curious to learn more about Astral Chain.
    What video have you seen? ... It's Link's Awakening, not Link to the past

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

What, did you miss Game of Thrones?
    For what little it matters, indeed, I have not watched or read any of Game of Thrones.

Or Lord of the Rings where the good kingdom of Gondor has the Stewards actually running things?
    Okay, this one I'm enough of a Tolkien nerd that I feel the need to point out the specific problem with it: that was because the royal line of Gondor was all dead. The last King of Anarion's line was killed with no heir. And even then, they were not Kings, they were just what the name says, stewards, expected to abdicate the position should an heir of Isildur's line ever come. They were not the equal of royalty, just in charge in their absence.

More importantly though, to the actual thrust of our disagreement:

Political intrigues between king and nobility have always been a staple of fantasy monarchies since basically forever.
    Intrigues, yes - nobles trying to unseat a King or Queen and take the throne for themselves is quite common. But never are they treated as already being the equals of royalty. They're the most important and powerful of the royalty's subjects, not their co-equal peers. That's why they so often seek the throne to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    If the 3D remake of Link to the Past is for 3DS, then I'll probably get it on day one. If it's for switch, then that might be what finally pushes me to get a switch.
    It's a Switch game.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Not even Tetris Battle Royale?
    ... not sure if joking or serious...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I am so very, very excited for Mario Maker 2. It's gonna be a gas.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

For what little it matters, indeed, I have not watched or read any of Game of Thrones.
    Then you don't get to claim that media doesn't portray a subject as X when you're not actually consuming said media.

And it seems like you haven't watched or read any king Arthur either. You really should, since it's basically the fantasy king, and overall you've been skipping pretty much all fantasy media.

Also you should play the previous Fire Emblem games since you're at it, it'll help you get in the mood for the new one since you're jumping into the series for the first time.

Okay, this one I'm enough of a Tolkien nerd that I feel the need to point out the specific problem with it: that was because the royal line of Gondor was all dead. The last King of Anarion's line was killed with no heir. And even then, they were not Kings, they were just what the name says, stewards, expected to abdicate the position should an heir of Isildur's line ever come. They were not the equal of royalty, just in charge in their absence.
    No, Aragorn the rightful King returns and the stewards are still the ones running things and ordering around in the kingdom of Gondor until said stewards all get themselves killed or knocked out.

And the Stewards not being kings yet having plenty of power only supports my point, not yours.

More importantly though, to the actual thrust of our disagreement:

Intrigues, yes - nobles trying to unseat a King or Queen and take the throne for themselves is quite common. But never are they treated as already being the equals of royalty. They're the most important and powerful of the royalty's subjects, not their co-equal peers. That's why they so often seek the throne to begin with.
    Now you're just moving goalposts. Allow me to remind you of your own words in the same page:

So you claimed that only the king has power, while I claimed that in a kingdom there may be the king (theoretically) on top, a "first among equals" but the other nobles still have plenty of power.

My stance is supported by both old and new media, king Arthur and his round table, LotR (the Stewards keep control of the city even with Aragorn Around), Game of Thrones, previous Fire Emblem Games, etc. You didn't provide a single example for your argument.

And if in Fire Emblem 3 Houses there's this league of nobles that claims to have no kings yet has one noble family that is on top of the power chain where said top position will move to their blood descendant.

Aka a king by any other name.

Anyway it seems like you're finally admitting that the not-king nobles in a kingdom also have power, so I'll ask again, what's exactly the difference between a kingdom and this "league of nobles" where there's one noble family ruling over the others by simple blood lineage?
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-02-15 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Then you don't get to claim that media doesn't portray a subject as X when you're not actually consuming said media.

And it seems like you haven't watched or read any king Arthur either. You really should, since it's basically the fantasy king, and overall you've been skipping pretty much all fantasy media.

Also you should play the previous Fire Emblem games since you're at it, it'll help you get in the mood for the new one since you're jumping into the series for the first time.

No, Aragorn the rightful King returns and the stewards are still the ones running things and ordering around in the kingdom of Gondor until said stewards all get themselves killed or knocked out.

And the Stewards not being kings yet having plenty of power only supports my point, not yours.

Now you're just moving goalposts. Allow me to remind you of your own words in the same page:

So you claimed that only the king has power, while I claimed that in a kingdom there may be the king (theoretically) on top, a "first among equals" but the other nobles still have plenty of power.

My stance is supported by both old and new media, king Arthur and his round table, LotR (the Stewards keep control of the city even with Aragorn Around), Game of Thrones, previous Fire Emblem Games, etc. You didn't provide a single example for your argument.

And if in Fire Emblem 3 Houses there's this league of nobles that claims to have no kings yet has one noble family that is on top of the power chain where said top position will move to their blood descendant.

Anyway it seems like you're finally admitting that the not-king nobles in a kingdom also have power, so I'll ask again, what's exactly the difference between a kingdom and this "league of nobles" where there's one noble family ruling over the others by simple blood lineage?
    I mean, we don't have a lot of detail from the trailer, but it could be that the League's an elective. And while the current head's heir might be the heir to that princedom, he's not necessarily the heir to the entire League - he's being groomed for it, certainly, but a bloc could squash that (and is definitely something I'd expect in this title).

I've played a considerable amount of Crusader Kings 2, and there is a significant difference between a king who gets to do what he wants because he's neutered the power of the nobility and a First Among Equals league of nobles who you actually have to respect the wishes of.

It's not like this is even an unusual situation in Fire Emblem. The Lycian League from FE 6/7 is divided up into several marquisates, each ruled by a noble family, but with Ostia having the status of first among equals due to their direct lineage from Roland, the founder of the nation. It's only when the lines of Ostia and Pherae are joined (by marrying Roy and Lilina) that it officially becomes a kingdom.

Nobles are weird about titles and who they owe fealty to and who they merely will support.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2019-02-15 at 10:03 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

He might just be the effective heir to the head of the alliance by his status as the heir to the most powerful family within it, rather than being the heir to a formal ruling family. The difference between a king, an emperor, or a first citizen as the title is less important than the actual power of the head of state. The distinction between titles is less about actual rank (i.e. Emperor > King > Prince) and more about claiming politically-useful titles. If the Alliance is the youngest state, then "King" and "Emperor" may be too dangerous of titles for any leader in that state to claim due to connotations with the rulers of the neighboring states (and reflects the real-world title choices for the heads of state for various types of governments, even when they resemble a monarchy in all but name).

Even the terms "Emperor", "Kaiser", and "Tsar" have this kind of origin, as Augustus avoided using the title of Rex because of potential political backlash against him claiming to be a new King of Rome, but nations centuries later would adopt his assumed titles as their own when trying to claim themselves the successor-states of his Empire.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I liked what they showed of Mario Maker 2. Lots of new stuff. I wonder if it will be amiibo compatible again.

I also enjoyed the stuff for smash even if it wasnt much.

And probably not many people care but I am thrilled about a new box boy. Box Boy+Box girl sounds like an interesting game.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good