New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default [3.5 & PF Question] Spell-like abilities and Spell Trigger and Spell Completion items

So, I was wondering, does having a certain spell as a Spell-Like ability grant you the ability to use Spell Trigger or Spell Completion items regarding that same spell?

For example, if you had Acid Splash as a spell-like ability, could you use a Wand of Acid Splash without needing a Use Magic Device check?

The question above is relevant for both 3.5 and Pathfinder, but I'm aware that the answer might differ depending of the system so I'd like to hear both.

TIA!
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 & PF Question] Spell-like abilities and Spell Trigger and Spell Completion i

Using spell trigger items is part of the assumed training of classes that can cast a given spell (hence why 1st- to 3rd-level paladins and rangers can use cure wands), so if your class is the source of your spell-like ability, it ought to allow you to use those in that way. However, spell completion requires a specialized knowledge of how to cast arcane or divine (or psychic) spells, and using spell-like abilities is certainly not casting arcane or divine or psychic spells, even if they're arcane spell-like abilities in the way that a warlock's are.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2019-02-15 at 08:51 AM.
    The future is bright.