New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

----------
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2019-04-08 at 03:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a Fallen Angel Template?

Surely, you wouldn't need to change much. Change the good domain for the evil domain, prepare a few diferent cleric spells, switch a few SLAs around and switch "good" into "evil"and vice versa in the description of the aura of protectiveness and you've turned an angel of a good god into one of an evil god.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There is the Radiant Idol from Sharn: City of Towers.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    Not looking for homebrew.

Specifically looking for a template that turns angels into evil creatures. If I wanted just the fluff I would be using Erinyes.
    Any angel that has already changed alignment to non-good, is eligible to take the Half-Fiend template:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm

It's normally inherited, but with the appropriate ritual, inherited templates can be given after "birth".

Savage Species had the guidelines for changing creatures via rituals. Another option is the Ritual of Alignment - allows you to replace the angel's Good subtype with the Evil one, without otherwise changing its stats.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5

That's what I need. The thing that makes it alignment non-good because by RAW they are "always good"
    RAW (MM) says "always good" beings are capable of changing alignment - though exceptions are either unique, or rare.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you specifically need a template to change a Good outsider to Evil, you could use Mulhorandi Divine Minion. It swaps the creature's alignment subtypes to match the deity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The Half-Fiend template also has a Level Adjustment +4 just to keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-02-15 at 12:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

While not explicitly a template IIRC there were several statted entities that are fiends now that were also fallen angels. Not sure where in the lore it changed (or if it's always been this way) but Asmodeus was once an angel. There's one in the Elder Evils book too that serves Serterous. The one in Elder Evils is a straight up fallen angel that you could possibly extrapolate a template from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

There is a fallen trumpet archon in the adventure module Lord of the Iron Fortress (part of the sunless citadel adventure path), officially they just changed his alignment subtype to [Evil] and flipped all his good/evil alignment based abilities (magic circle vs good instead of evil, detect good instead of evil, evil domain instead of good etc), no template necessary.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-02-15 at 04:31 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    RAW (MM) says "always good" beings are capable of changing alignment - though exceptions are either unique, or rare.
    This is the answer. If you house-rule listed-alignment "always" to "dictionary meaning of always"--then there are no fallen angels in your campaign world by definition, but, that is a house rule, not RAW, and listed examples (like the aforementioned trumpet archon) don't have some extra-template justification for an "illegal" alignment; they simply proceed on the basis that it means "almost always."
    Last edited by Kish; 2019-02-16 at 11:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this for a player character?
    If not, corrupted by the abyss from expedition to the demonweb pits would also work.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Avamerin in Elder Evils is a Planetar who became the leader of Sertrous-worshiping cultists
    But the only things which he got from it are Chaos domain and Corrupted Aura (-4 to AC and saves in 20')

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

He's 20hd though
    He is explicit fluff proof and a mechanical representation of a fallen angel, though. There are others as I already mentioned but with varying stat blocks. It's not a stretch to attempt your planar binding trick for an evil/fallen angel and snatching one up. Between all this and the fallen Archon there's plenty of examples of it happening. It's not unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Close but no cigar. Changes type to Aberration.

I'll be honest here and come clean. I was looking for a way to bind a Planetar via Planar Binding + Infernal Bargainer, but Infernal Bargainer only works with evil creatures, so I needed an evil Planetar to bind to craft scrolls of higher level spells I don't have access to yet but it seems this is an impossible task so I think I'm a give up @_@.

Interrogating random outsiders until they reveal the name of a rare unique fallen planetar seems like the only recourse I have. :(
    Ah well if those are the restrictions we can get there with template stacking. First apply Dark which changes the alignment in a rather vague "one step away from normal, rarely good" to make our angel neutral, and then half fiend to get us to evil.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

15. - Top - End - #15

I'm pretty sure that what you're trying to do is gonna have to go through the DM, period.

Jump through all the hoops you want, it ultimately doesn't matter if the DM says "No".
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Why don't you just research a name?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I thought devils were already the spawn of fallen angels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiend_...ons)#Blood_War

Half-fiend is a simple way. Another simple way would be if perhaps the angel simply becomes a devil. Even half-fiend requires some DM fudgery because the savage species rule says there has to be some kind of ritual or special thing that makes an inherited template happen after birth.

Option 3: Simply change your alignment to Evil, as allowed by RAW. For most purposes besides behavior and spell selection you're still an angel. Detect spells ping you as both good and evil by RAW (one from type, one from morals). Roleplay the corruption. Your offspring OTOH, might be half-fiend or etc.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-02-18 at 03:16 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I could. But as the Sertuous example shows, unique beings can be advanced hd so no guarantee that a 14hd unique evil planetar exists.

Templated creatures are generic and therefore always exist at 14hd. Unique entities can be whatever the DM wants. I'm just trying to optimize away from DM leniency if you know what I mean. I mean a DM could say at level 1 your master casts PaO twice on you so you start the campaign as a permanent Ethergaunt with like 34 INT, but that has crazy DM leniency. Unique beings existing just for me to me sounds like DM leniency on par with the PaO example and doesn't sit right with me so I explore other options.

I don't need to succeed here btw. Just harmless brainstorming for fun.
    Why don't you talk the options over with your DM? You clearly have a specific one in mind here, since you've told us they despise web content and don't allow magazine content. Templated creatures are not necessarily generic, especially in the case of rare and powerful creatures like planetars, so they do not always exist. Anything you find is ultimately going to have to be run past your DM either way. Might as well bite the bullet. Research is the most concrete RAW means of confirming the existence of such a being and learning its name to summon it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

There's one in the Gates of Hell:
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Fallen Angel” is a template that can be added to any Outsider bearing the Extraplanar and Good sub-types
    (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature’s sub-type changes to Evil and the creature may also
    assume either a Law (for diabolical) or Chaotic (for demonic) sub-type in its descriptor depending on its ethical
    alignment. It gains the Fallen subtype; this replaces any angelic choir subtype of the base creature. It uses all the
    base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    Speed: There is a 33% chance that the fallen angel loses its wings and the ability to fly. Furthermore, most
    angels that retain their wings (66%) experience cosmetic changes in their wings; in some cases, the wings become
    bat-like, vulture-like, or constantly molt.
    Special Attacks: The fallen angel loses access to much of its spell-casting ability. As it is no longer part of the Celestial Choir, the fallen angel replaces all spell-like abilities bearing the Good descriptor with Evil counterparts.
    Thus, a fallen planetar would no longer retain the ability to cast holy smite, replacing it with unholy blight. Aside from detect evil (which becomes detect good), fallen angels lose access to any permanent spell-like effects. Fallen angels also completely lose access to any spell-like abilities with the Healing descriptor; if there is a reasonable Necromantic replacement of the same level, the fallen angel acquires it. The fallen planetar described above lost access to lesser restoration, remove disease, raise dead, and greater restoration and replaced these spell-like abilities with death knell, contagion, slay living, and destruction.
    Furthermore, if the fallen angel had the ability to cast divine spells as a cleric, druid, ranger, or paladin, much
    of this power is drastically reduced. A fallen angel immediately loses 7 levels of innate spellcasting ability. If
    this would reduce the ability to 0 or less levels, the ability is completely gone (although advancement can allow
    this ability to return, subject to the penalty described above). There is a 50% chance that the ability will be
    replaced by innate arcane spellcasting; such an alteration still suffers the loss of levels described above.
    Only the fallen’s spell access level suffers this penalty; the caster level remains the same. Thus a solar with a 17th level cleric spellcasting would be reduced to 10th level cleric spellcasting in terms of access to spells, though it would still be treated as a 17th level caster for the purpose of overcoming spell resistance, spell variables, and so forth.
    A fallen retains access to the same number of domains, but these are changed to more appropriate ones.
    The Depths Below offer Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Law, Trickery and War as general choices. Swearing fealty to
    a specific dark lord may allow access to other domains. The Good, Healing and Protection domains are always lost.
    Special Qualities: The fallen angel loses any angelic choir traits. It replaces them with the traits of the fallen
    subtype, as detailed below:
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet, and low-light vision.
    • Immunity to poison, and one of acid, electricity or
    fire.
    • +4 racial bonus on saves against petrification.
    • Magic Circle against Good (Su): A magic circle against good always surrounds a fallen (caster level
    equals the fallen’s Hit Dice).
    • Teleport (Sp): Fallen can use greater teleport at will, as the spell, except that the creature can transport only
    itself and up to 50 pounds of objects (caster level equals the fallen’s Hit Dice).
    • Telepathy (Su): All fallen can communicate with any creature that has a language within 100 feet. This ability
    is always active.
    • Cursed (Ex): Fallen have betrayed all they once stood for and have an unsettling nature about them. A fallen
    suffers a –2 penalty on Diplomacy checks when interacting with good creatures, but gains a +2 bonus on
    all Intimidate checks.
    • In the case of any other qualities not replaced as a result of losing the various choir traits and gaining fallen traits, replace any instances relating to good with the opposite. For example, damage reduction would lose the evil qualifier (since this is appropriate for good creatures) and gain the good qualifier instead. In the case of regeneration, where evil weapons or spells previously dealt lethal damage, this would be replaced by good weapons or spells.
    Saves: Same as the base creature.
    Abilities: All fallen angels suffer a -2 penalty to their Wisdom; however, all gain a +2 bonus to any one ability of choice save Wisdom.
    Skills: Same as the base creature, adjusted for ability score changes.
    Feats: Same as the base creature.
    Challenge Rating: -2
    Alignment: Always evil (any)
    Advancement: Same as the base creature.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Step 1: Find some other method to summon a Planetar and render it bound/helpless.
    Step 2: Make it put on and take off a Helm of Opposite Alignment 'til it rolls a nat 1 and its alignment changes to Evil.
    Step 3: Ask it its name.

You probably don't have to worry about it being reversed, as (from the SRD):

Only a wish or a miracle can restore former alignment, and the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. (In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible.)

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGirl

Except Planetars can cast miracle lol
    Yes except as per the second part of the quote, the Planetar won't want to change its alignment back. And presumably with 22 INT and 23 WIS it's neither dumb enough nor foolish enough to go back to hanging with other angels as an evil angel. Because of course they'd cast miracle on it to change its alignment back. Again, that's something that it explicitly does not want.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95 View Post
    Yes except as per the second part of the quote, the Planetar won't want to change its alignment back. And presumably with 22 INT and 23 WIS it's neither dumb enough nor foolish enough to go back to hanging with other angels as an evil angel. Because of course they'd cast miracle on it to change its alignment back. Again, that's something that it explicitly does not want.
    Well, I mean, when their friends start noticing that the planetar isn't around like they used to be, they'd probably investigate, and then just cast miracle from a range (nothing says the converted planetar needs to be present for the miracle to work) when they find out what happened.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Well, I mean, when their friends start noticing that the planetar isn't around like they used to be, they'd probably investigate, and then just cast miracle from a range (nothing says the converted planetar needs to be present for the miracle to work) when they find out what happened.
    Except being a Planetar itself, and a former Good one, it knows the most probable course of action for its former colleagues. They, on the other hand, have no experience being Evil, so its thoughts/actions are now unfathomable. This'll allow it to come up with something. Off the top of my head, two Miracles: one to know when its allies will try casting Miracle, the second (using that information) to counterspell their Miracle at just the right time. For starters. I'm sure an INT 22 creature with a strong interest in keeping its current alignment is more motivated and capable than me, so I leave the creation of further counters as an exercise for the reader.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

There's the soulbroken creature from pathfinder for your more... forceablely converted angels