New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Favorite diety and over all diety discussion (idk if it fits here but probably does)

Just want to know other d&d players favorite diety and why and overall discussion about them. Mine is We Jas because of necromancy reasons, and just though of something strange. Was We Jas based on Gary Gygaxs first wife? Recently found out his wife and daughters are red heads and I knew his eldest son was mainly a caster and in fact the Tenser, so was We Jas being lawfully neutral a deity of magic and death (as the legend states she had Ernest character die once because he was up past bed time) as a cheeky joke? After all the old TSR days where basically a family company

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite diety and over all diety discussion (idk if it fits here but probably do

My two favorites are Tymora, goddess of good luck, from the Forgotten Realm, because I imagine dice as her "Holy Symbol", and Hecate, goddess of magic, from the 1980's Deities & Demi-Gods, because my 12 year old self found her super-fine, I mean DAMN!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite diety and over all diety discussion (idk if it fits here but probably do

Cas, and Gond. I`m a big fan of revenge, and Gond does something wholly unique in D&D.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Ecaflip. He's a great dad.
    Iop. He's also a great dad.
    Pandawa. She became a goddess by creating BOOZE!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Another deity I love is Lord Bane, use him with a cleric and the champion cleric alt class feature then go into entropomancer. Dropping Black holes on anyone who doesn’t submit to the Mighty Lord Bane.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Probably Humakt though I do like Vinga (Orlanth) and Yelorna.

I also have a soft spot for Krajalk because she provides the most useful spell for experienced characters despite being very definitely an enemy goddes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grumsh One Eye, cuz you gotta be hardcore to be a real worshipper.

Loviatar, just for the way she attacked you.

Nnnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'k'k (sp?) from Deities & Demigods, cuz I always wondered how to pronounce it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite deity and over all deity discussion (idk if it fits here but probably do

Minor nitpic: "Deity" is another word for god. "Diety" makes me think of a weight-loss program. I almost reported the thread for spam before realizing it was just a misspelling.

I'm still trying to come up with a favorite D&D deity. I'd probably have to go with Paladine at this point. Fizban is just too funny!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Golarion's Irori. I love the irony of ascribing a whole school of philosophy devoid of gods to a god to fit D&D metaphysics. funnily enough he also has a variety of great domains for anyone striving to be a perfect cleric - so great for optimizers, which is another layer of meta fun about him.

His mantra basically screams: "I have 18 in all stats, I am just plain better than you."
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-03-07 at 06:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ao. DnD God of Gods, but doesn't have clerics (or rather, he doesn't grant divine powers). His worshipper base is generally consisted of philosophers, thieves, historians, and a bunch of other mundane folk. The God of all Gods is worshipped by those who don't want power and don't gain power, and they know this, and he's still worshipped.

It has a lot of cool flavor, and most of my intellectual characters favor him.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Most D&D pantheons don't impress me, for starters because of the alignment thing. If a deity is the "god of X", then its 'alignment' is "cares about X", not "chose a cosmic jersey color".

In the setting for the RPG The Lost Age, there's Murgo, goddess of learning, knowledge, science, and "esoteric magic" (magic based on empirical study, philosophical inquiry, and knowledge). She eschews worship entirely, does not grant spells or power, and responds to mortal inquiries with as many new questions as answers. She's basically the ungod of empiricism, and I can respect that a lot more than most deities.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Paladine, cause Fizban.

Also because he gave up his godhood so evil could be punished.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Favorite deity and over all deity discussion (idk if it fits here but probably do

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'm still trying to come up with a favorite D&D deity.
    Nothing in this thread specifies D&D deities (hence I chose some from Glorantha) so you can go for any deity you live - even those from novels...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Can't go wrong with Asmo.

Worship him, use his blessings to achieve lichdom or some other form of sentient undead and get a nod of respect for bending the rules to your favor...

Until the Paladin comes around to finish you off and realize you have to pay compounding interest in Baator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

If I lived in FR, I would probably worship Lathander.

I would choose him because he is the most vanilla benevolent deity of the setting.

I also like the thing he has going on with Amaunator, where they are kinda sorta the same entity.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Wee Jas. Because how can you not adore a goddess of magic and death?
    She's nicely nuanced and complicated, being vain, stern, motherly, and a supporter of society in general and the afterlife in particular. Her history and changes makes her feel like a historic deity, which is particularly nice in a pantheon that seems to be made for adventurers (probably because it was).
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

If I absolutely had to pick one of the published deities, I'd go with Iuz, the Old. His story is pretty uninventive, but the imagery of his nation is pretty vivid. And I like the idea of a fat old cripple who is so powerful and so unrepentantly evil that everyone quavers at his mention. A real boogeyman, with his own small empire on the outskirts of civilization.

Otherwise, I have to admit I can't think of a single one who isn't cliché crap.

Maybe there are a few kinda-sorta halfway decent attempts at making something interesting. The ur-dragons of Eberron (Khyber and what not, I forget) have some things going for them, and the Dark Powers of Ravenloft aren't entirely a waste of print either, but all in all, I feel the publishers of RPG's are pretty crap at their jobs.

Is Sybarys one of the others?

Hey, just as an example of how crap the publishers are, they renamed Iuz from the Old to the Evil - as if, to avoid confusion that the guy who paved the road to his capitol with the skulls of his enemies, is evil, we'll put it in his name. Just to make sure you get it. It's just so goddamned pathetic it makes me cringe.

Um ... no offense, of course, to anyone who happens to disagree with my assessment of published works. I'm just ... really old =)

18. - Top - End - #18

So, first and foremost, any ascended PCs from my tables rate over any published deity in my book. I may come back with a senile half-list at some point.

After that, in alphabetical order, I suppose I'll say Arangee, Azuth, and Tzeentch.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Hecate, goddess of magic, from the 1980's Deities & Demi-Gods, because my 12 year old self found her super-fine, I mean DAMN!
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Ecaflip. He's a great dad.
    Iop. He's also a great dad.
    Pandawa. She became a goddess by creating BOOZE!
    Sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Ao. DnD God of Gods, but doesn't have clerics (or rather, he doesn't grant divine powers). His worshipper base is generally consisted of philosophers, thieves, historians, and a bunch of other mundane folk. The God of all Gods is worshipped by those who don't want power and don't gain power, and they know this, and he's still worshipped.

It has a lot of cool flavor, and most of my intellectual characters favor him.
    I once ran a Cleric of AO. Yup, Cleric, no spells. Also, I rolled straight 1's for HP.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-03-08 at 08:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

For the actual D&Deities, one of our own -- LudicSavant -- has remarkably improved takes on several of them:

Nerull, the Reaper
    Wee Jas, the Stern Lady
    Olidammara, the Laughing Rogue
    Erythnul, the Many
    Hextor, the Scourge of Battle
    Corellon Larethian, the Protector and Preserver of Life
    Lolth, the Hunted
    The Deep Ones

They're presented in a way that focuses a lot more on the people who worship them, and why, and how, and the competing beliefs about each deity. Unlike the published takes on the deities, you can understand why people might give veneration, supplication, and dedication to these deities.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Auppenser from Lost Empires of Faerun was my favorite story wise. Kiri-Jolith from dragonlance was interesting on his association with minotaurs. On the same subject, the Labrynth philosophy introduced in 4th edition was also interesting for this race. The Kalashatar's path of light was also interesting and similarly the Blood of Vol from Eberron. Lastly was the Raven Queen though the fifth edition version did her no justice.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    ....Pics or it didn't happen.

Spoiler: As you requested
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite is a character of mine that ascended to become a deity. His worshippers were the oppressed and enslaved, and he was particularly opposed to those who used magic for tyrannical purposes.

But of actual published deities, I've always had a soft spot for Shaundakul. He seems like just a chill old dude who likes to travel, and whose church is so loosely organized it barely qualifies as a church at all. Plus for his big holy day, he turns all his clerics to gaseous form and tosses them up into the wind so that they end up somewhere they've never been before. I just have to respect that kind of whimsy and "IDGAF" attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Torm

A deity for the Righteous Heroes who don't need an operation on their posterior. Along with all the Goody Two Shoes stuff he's not a jealous deity and encourages cooperation with other faiths. Follow the Just Laws of course, but do what's Right. He forgives imperfection. As a bonus he satisfies a personal pet peeve as a player. The one thing in the universe he absolutely loathes is betrayal. The death penalty is appropriate punishment for a betrayer. Betrayal is an unforgivable sin.

Honorable Mention

Ilmater

Sentimental. I like his philosophy. He's the Really Nice one. I enjoy playing the saint occasionally, though I have managed to find ways for a warrior character to worship him such as my current barbarian. He is Passive Lawful Good to Torm's Active Lawful Good. They're a good team, pun intended.

Mask

I have great respect for the Shadow Lord, and it's all because of the many DMs I played with. He's the sneaky rogue deity worthy of his reputation, but every DM no matter the campaign always played him the same in one specific way. Whenever the world is Doomed (tm) in whatever manner and the deities/Churches start to take notice and action, Mask always sides with Team Good Guys. Every time. It could be self interest. If there's no world or society there's nothing to steal. In a Team Good Guy world his followers are only imprisoned for a time when caught. In a Team Evil Guy world his followers are executed. Personally I think it's the DM wanting to show shades of grey for the Good PCs. It makes the game world dynamic for foes to work together against a common enemy who is more of a threat to them than they are to each other. Either way, props to Mask.
    Last edited by Pex; 2019-03-08 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    For the actual D&Deities, one of our own -- LudicSavant -- has remarkably improved takes on several of them:

Nerull, the Reaper
    Wee Jas, the Stern Lady
    Olidammara, the Laughing Rogue
    Erythnul, the Many
    Hextor, the Scourge of Battle
    Corellon Larethian, the Protector and Preserver of Life
    Lolth, the Hunted
    The Deep Ones

They're presented in a way that focuses a lot more on the people who worship them, and why, and how, and the competing beliefs about each deity. Unlike the published takes on the deities, you can understand why people might give veneration, supplication, and dedication to these deities.
    Have you ever read the 2e Forgotten Realms book Faiths and Avatars? It's the best source of useful information about D&D deities that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    My favorite is a character of mine that ascended to become a deity. His worshippers were the oppressed and enslaved, and he was particularly opposed to those who used magic for tyrannical purposes.

But of actual published deities, I've always had a soft spot for Shaundakul. He seems like just a chill old dude who likes to travel, and whose church is so loosely organized it barely qualifies as a church at all. Plus for his big holy day, he turns all his clerics to gaseous form and tosses them up into the wind so that they end up somewhere they've never been before. I just have to respect that kind of whimsy and "IDGAF" attitude.
    Hooray, another vote for ascended PCs!

Took me a minute to translate IDGAF.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Have you ever read the 2e Forgotten Realms book Faiths and Avatars? It's the best source of useful information about D&D deities that I've read.
    I have not... don't know if I've ever even heard of it.

Took me a minute to translate IDGAF.
    "I Don't Got Any Figs" ?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-03-08 at 02:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"I Don't Got Any Figs" ?
    Actually, it's I Am Celibate.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Actually, it's I Am Celibate.
    Um... yes.

That's the joke.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray, another vote for ascended PCs!
    So, there was this 4e-to-5e adventure called Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Take a guess regarding which video-game character canonically chose to remain mortal, who gets killed in this adventure, and whose efforts were ultimately for naught because daddy is back?

I wonder how many DMs run a version of the Realms where they did accept godhood.

29. - Top - End - #29

I have not... don't know if I've ever even heard of it.
    Only book on D&D deities I've found that's worth reading, IMO.

Has things like dogma, holy days, religious garb, worship style / "church" style, etc - a lot of info from the PoV of the following, in addition to the gods' stat blocks / history / personality.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Only book on D&D deities I've found that's worth reading, IMO.

Has things like dogma, holy days, religious garb, worship style / "church" style, etc - a lot of info from the PoV of the following, in addition to the gods' stat blocks / history / personality.
    So about how characters, as "people" within the setting, interact with the religion and the deities as deities, rather than "gods as ultimate monster manual entries".