New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Rise of the Runelords (Spheres)

Zadavyr blasts the closest goblin with lightning

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

(1d6)[4] lightning damage, ref 14 half

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Halcyon reaches the scene first, then flinches back as she witnesses the goblins' cruelty towards the poor animal.

Her sister, however, isn't daunted by the sight. The goblin raider riding the ugly mount looks like the greatest threat right now, she decides, and charges at the pair, attempting to bring beast and rider to the ground with one swipe, moving perilously close to one of the other greenskins in the process.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Halcyon: Move action to maintain summon.

Tempest: Charge to M17 and attempt to trip the goblin dog.

Trip roll: (1d20+4)[21] vs goblin dog's CMD

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Verezza's anger gets the better of her as she rams into a goblin, smashing it into greasy green bits. Issachar tries to impress his full-bodied muse by following suit, but stumbles at the last moment and misses his mark.

Meanwhile, Zadavyr looks a little bored as he lazily belches forth electricity at the nearest goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    G1 reflex save (1d20+2)[11]

Tempest approaches the mounted commando and sweeps the goblin dog from beneath him. Meanwhile, Madison positions herself to get a better view.

Spoiler
    Show
    GC Acrobatics check (1d20+3)[14]

Knowledge check result: the man hiding in the corner is Aldern Foxglove, a minor noble from Magnimar. During his childhood, his parents died in some dark incident that cast a shadow over their house's reputation. He has recently moved back into their ancestral home to try to redeem his family's name.

The goblin commando attempts to leap from the saddle as his mount falls, but lands prone instead as he misjudged the timing.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-02-26 at 08:55 PM.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

4. - Top - End - #64

MindFlayer

Madison positions herself a bit closer to the fight, carefully putting a couple of bodies between herself and the dog. She steels herself, and channels a little of her anger into the notes that leave her lips, aimed at the goblin who isn't currently being hounded by her compatriots.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Move to N21
    Standard: Minor Paralyze G1 - DC 19
    (1d20+10)[21] v DC16
    If I fail by 5 or less, immediate action inspire myself with the greater charm
    (1d20+10)[23] v DC16
    (2d4)[4]

no pun intended re:hounded

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verezza was ready this time for the resounding thunder of the blue-haired boy's magic. She doesn't even flinch at the sound as she shakes her shield trying to get most of the blood off of its surface. The warrior girl somehow dismounts the goblin, the little creature falling hard onto the ground, and Verezza takes the opportunity.

With two quick steps, she spins her weapon to get momentum before thrusting it on the goblin who dodged Issachar's attack, then allows the movement of her body to turn her towards the goblin leader, waiting for another chance to strike.

Show
    Verezza moves to L18 (Move), uses a reserve point to gain 5 THP (Swift) and attacks G3 (Standard).

Hit: (1d20+4)[16]
    Crit: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6] (+ (2d8+6)[20] crit) piercing

As always, she will take all AoO she can (specially against the commando if he stands up). If anyone attacks her, she will also spend an AoO to use Active Defense and increase her AC by +2. She has 5 AoOs.
    Last edited by richmond; 2019-02-26 at 11:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Irritated by his miss, Issachar spins around the dancers friend as puts the rider and his beast on the ground. He circles around to set up a flanking position on the apparent leader, aiming to incapacitate him before he can get to his feet.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Circle around the downed pair to K15, flanking the prone goblin.

Attack (1d20+4)[7] (+2 Flanking) for (1d4+1)[3] slashing damage and (1d6)[2] SA.

Crit? (1d20+4)[8] (+2 Flanking) for (1d4+1)[4] slashing damage.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67

Wouldn't they just take the hint already and die?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Move to M16.
    Place the five squares of mutable blast such that they arc through all three for (2d6)[2] damage (ref 14 half) (Spending a spell point for increased damage)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Verezza's attack rings true, slaying the little green monster. Tempest takes the opportunity to sweep the goblin dog, along with its rider, to the ground, but while trying to regain some face after his last miss, Issachar fails to compensate for the necessary reach to strike a downed opponent and misses.

Madison sings, beginning to lull the standing goblin into complacency.

Spoiler
    Show
    G1 will save (1d20-1)[4]

As she does, Zadavyr, annoyed that these little green buggers won't die, tries to take advantage of the two that are prone and again breathes electricity, but sputters out in his enthusiasm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex saves
    GC (1d20+5)[21]
    GW (1d20+4)[15]
    G1 (1d20+2)[11]

Even such a small shock is able to slay the dazed goblin, but with such a measly jolt, the commando and dog begin to try to stand, taking an onslaught of blows as they do.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO's against GC

Zadavyr (1d20+5)[25]
    Crit? (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage (1d4+4)[7] if crit add (1d4+4)[6]

Verezza (1d20+4)[13]
    Crit? (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage (1d8+3)[9] if crit add (2d8+6)[11]

AoO's against GD

Issachar (1d20+4)[22]
    Crit? (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage (1d4+1)[4] plus (1d6)[6] if crit add (1d4+1)[2]

Tempest (1d20+5)[8]
    Crit? (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage (2d4+3)[7] if crit add (4d4+6)[17]

Verezza (1d20+4)[18]
    Crit? (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage (1d8+3)[11] if crit add (2d8+6)[15]

Easily overwhelmed, they are quickly cut down.

The cowering man rises and approaches the party, thanking them profusely. He looks around nervously to see if there are any more goblins lurking nearby. "Thank you all so much for your bravery in saving my life. It is truly a shame that my noble companion was slain by these monsters, but you avenged him well. I am going to find a safer location to stay clear of the fighting, but I am staying at the Rusty Dragon a few days, you should stop by so I can reward you and thank you properly."

He looks at Madison, and straightens himself up a bit, "And you, young lady were by far the bravest, keeping those nasty things at bay with nothing but your exquisite singing voice. Not even a weapon, and still formidable. Don't get me wrong, your friends were amazing as well, but none did it with such poise and grace " He takes a moment to kiss her on the hand and bow before he runs off.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-02-28 at 11:16 AM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The town guard is able to more fully rout the goblin menace, though they are unsure if any are still hiding nearby. The next few days has them doing sweeps of the area to locate any stragglers. Meanwhile, word spreads of the party's involvement in dealing with the threat, making them minor celebrities. They find themselves being given small gifts of food and discounts wherever they go in town.

Issachar becomes somewhat of a magnet for women of eligible marriage age and receives multiple love letters and proposals. Verezza is a favorite of young children, who are amazed at her immense size and many try to emulate her during their day-to-day games. Halcyon and Madison are often requested to put on performances at different venues. As for Zadavyr, his estranged kin tend to warm up to him even more. His niece, the mayor, sees an opportunity at self promotion, asking that he might endorse her and assist her campaign during the next election. Things start to recover a bit as the group is made to feel especially welcome in town.

Spoiler
    Show
    The group is free to roam around Sandpoint a bit and speak with the locals. It is a good opportunity for some RP development

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Caught up in the sudden rush of fame, Halcyon is having the time of her life. It's nice that she has a lot of people being friendly to her for once, she thinks, and she enjoys entertaining them. However, she's a bit coy about the nature of the floating lights that sometimes appear about her. Not many people saw what the one did during the fight with the goblins, except of course for the other four whom she had helped. She preferred to keep it that way; folks tended to get antsy when they found out she could conjure departed souls, as if they expected her to suddenly start raising zombies or something.

As to the others in the fight, the giant kept figuratively setting off alarm bells in her head. Something about the tall woman kept her ill at ease. Likewise, Blue Hair was a bit off-putting with the casual way he slaughtered the goblins, and the aloof manner in which he comported himself. The knife-wielding rogue was good-looking but she wasn't quite sure what to think of him. As for the singer, well, she'd made a promise. Today, she's going to go find her and talk about that collaboration.

The sixth member of the group, the warrior with the crystal shard in her head, is conspicuous with her absence.

11. - Top - End - #71

MindFlayer

Knowledge check result: the man hiding in the corner is Aldern Foxglove, a minor noble from Magnimar. During his childhood, his parents died in some dark incident that cast a shadow over their house's reputation. He has recently moved back into their ancestral home to try to redeem his family's name.

As the man kisses her hand, Madison blushes. "Thank you Mr. Foxglove, I'm just glad I could help."

Show

Is Mr. correct? Does he have a title or should it be sir or something?

------------------------Timeskip------------------------

Madison has enjoyed her relative fame, taking advantage of being in a larger town to sample some delicious foods and check out the markets. She also greatly enjoys the small performances she's been able to put on, reveling in the view of smiling faces focused on her. She's hoping that these smaller engagements have reached the ears of Cyrdak Drokkus and that she'll be able to potentially get a larger engagement performing at the Sandpoint Theatre, and perhaps a patronage. She'd also gladly speak with the dancer from before, she'd love to hear more about her dancing. And of course, she should probably visit Aldern Foxglove from before. It's been a busy few days but she should make sure he's alright.

Show

Any specific gifts we may have received? Or money from performances?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verezza has to suppress a laugh as the goblin boss instantaneously dies to her companions' assault, but the noble man stands up and, although clearly nervous about the creatures, starts thanking the party. Verezza tries to look regal, but as soon as the man starts talking and wooing the dancer, she relaxes. A man so prone to adulation when all he did was cower obviously lacks fiber, so he would need more than titles or money to earn the goliath's respect. So Verezza just focuses on cleaning her weapon, nodding once when the man finishes speaking. She then waits until he leaves before turning towards Issachar with a stretched hand, hoping he would shake it. "Verezza," she says simply as introduction. "This was fun."

----TIMESKIP----

The last few days had been... intestesting. It seems the little she had done to help against the goblins was beyond what humans usually do for their homes because everywhere they gave her small gifts and mementos. She was treated as a hero and, as hard as it would be for her to assume it, she liked it! She would hear the tales of the elderly, play with children and try everything they offered her. She actually liked the small town quite a lot more than she expected and had decided to wait around a bit. She had been on the run for quite a while and she thought at least everyone would notice if more of her kind came around, right?

She also spent some time with Issachar, mostly mocking him every time he got one of those love letters, even though he seemed actually pleased with himself. He was easy to talk to, mostly because he was the one talking all the time and all she had to do was nod and comment at times. She also watched some of the girls' performance, paying special attention to the little acts of magic they did. It was still weird noticing at how commom it all seemed to the others, and that put a small idea on her head...

She went to a few bookstores the very next day. If humans were used to magic, maybe she could too, and what better place to learn it than a book? That's where humans kept most of their knowledge, as far as she could tell, so maybe, just maybe, she would find a book that would make her not so ignorant about it all. After all, she didn't want to be so awed - therefore distracted - by every little bit of magic that happens around her. Specially when most of the people she's met use it all the time.

Show
    Verezza would look for a book about magic, a very basic one that just teaches what it is and how most people use it. She would definitely be hiding it from the others, though, specially Issachar.
    Not sure if that needs a roll, but it's a RP way of representing her future caster class and all.
    Last edited by richmond; 2019-03-02 at 05:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

As the group spends a few days in town, Sheriff Hemlock approaches them. "Hello, how are my favorite visitors doing today in Sandpoint? Good, I hope. Listen, if it would not be too much trouble, there are a few issues that you might be able to assist me with. Father Zantus came to me regarding a possible desecration of burial vault, claiming that the stone door leading to Ezekial Tobyn's crypt was found open. He is looking for somebody to investigate the matter. Unfortunately, my hands are full with the watch, trying to locate any more goblins that may be hiding out in town. Aside from that, Amele Barrett came to me in a panic, as apparently something was attacking her family in their home. You will have to speak to her yourself, as unfortunately, she was too upset and it was difficult for me to gather all the details. Help me with these tasks, and I will be sure to compensate you for your trouble."

A short while later, Issachar is approached by a very attractive young woman named Shayliss Vinder. There have been rumors around town about her older sister Katrine "shacking up" with one of the workers at the lumber Mill and her overprotective father has been all up in arms about it. She bashfully approaches Issachar, "Excuse me, Mr. Issachar, I have been having somewhat of a dilemma I was hoping you could assist me with. My father has been too busy with my sister's personal life recently, as I'm sure you've heard, and our store has developed a bit of a pest problem. While the job is small and one person is usually enough to handle it, I am having some trouble dealing with it. I would be most grateful if you could come assist me." She looks down the entire time, blushing deeply.

Finally, Aldern Foxglove seeks the party out himself and mentions that he is hoping to go on a board hunt before he returns home to Magnimar. He invites you along, saying to meet him at the Rusty Dragon for more details as well as for an opportunity to reward you for helping him during the goblin attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Madison's performance checks yield
    Day 1 (1d6)[1] gp
    Day 2 (1d6)[6] gp
    Day 3 (1d6)[6] gp

So, now the party has a few different routes to choose from.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-03-03 at 07:19 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Issachar laughs with glee as the last goblin dies. Leaning over, he wipes his blades on the creatures tunic. I'll have to clean these for real later...

He smiles thinly at man coming out of hiding. Cowering as the goblins killed his dog didn't sit well with Iss, so that was all the fellow was ging to get. His grin lights up for real when Lovely introduces herself, sticking a hand out. Iss grabs it, "Verezza.
    That's a nice name. But I hope you don't mind if I call you 'Lovely'?"
    He bends at the waist, kissing her hand....

----TIMESKIP----

The following days are a heady brew for Issachar. He enjoys his new found fame, laughing with Verezza over the letters and proposals. He keeps them, tied up in a piece of ribbon the first came in. And he's not ashamed to share a kiss or a cuddle, when he can, but that's as far as it goes. He's looking for excitement and adventure, after all. Settling down isn't really in his plans.

Lovely turned out to have a ready laugh and a snide tongue. That is to say, she seemed a perfect companion. She didn't talk too much, either, leaving Iss to his silent ways. She enjoyed his letters as much as she did, mocking him and making kissy-faces whenever he snuck off for his dalliances. They did find time to watch the dancer and her new friend as they sang and danced at the local establishments, where Issachar would sit silently for the duration. His awe at her movements was evident on his face. Maybe he'd get a chance to talk to her soon...

----TIMESKIP----

Iss smiles down at the very pretty Shayliss, he could never resist a heart-shaped face and pouty lips... "A beautiful girl like you shouldn't look at the ground so much, my dear. No need to deprive the gods of your beauty.

Of course I'll help you. Would tomorrow be soon enough?"
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Halcyon catches up with Madison at the end of her latest performance. She is impressed by her virtuoso skills and excited by the thought of working together with someone.

"Hello! You remember me from the other day, right? My name is Halcyon Tanijar, I don't think we got a chance to introduce ourselves formally," she said excitedly, though not without a little trepidation. "Would you like to talk a bit over some tea perhaps?" As she chats with the other woman, she starts to calm down a bit and be more at ease.

"There's not a lot of people who'd recognize a Thassilonian dance," she says, in reference to Madison's comment about the origins of her moves. "I've made a bit of a study of their culture. I've talked to... I mean, I've read a lot of materials about them, and not the usual stuff people are interested in. I don't care much about the accomplishments of their conquests or their magic. I'm a lot more curious about how they lived day-to-day, what they ate, what they sang about, how they danced..."

She points to the lines of turquoise tattoos on her face. "You see these? Genuine Thassilonian runes. I designed these tattoos myself... then later I actually learned how to read the language and found out I made complete nonsense of them." She giggles with embarrassment.

Their discussion is interrupted when the Sheriff comes by and informs them of the side quests. When he mentions the violation of the tomb, Halcyon perks up. "I'll take care of that!" she says, immediately standing up to go find Father Zantus.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Desecrated Vault

The sheriff accompanies Halcyon to the Cathedral. Once there, he greets Father Zantus who leads you to the vault. The door does indeed hang ajar and the ground around it is churned up, showing several footprints. The sheriff tells the priest to wait inside the cathedral while he and Halcyon investigate, starting outside with the tracks left by the trespassers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Halcyon can make a Perception check to search the tracks, or if she wants to try for more detailed information, Survival can help as well. Either that or you are free to enter the vault.

The Shopkeeper's Daughter

Spoiler
    Show
    In order to get things rolling, I'm going to list this at the same time as the vault, despite them happening a day apart

The following day, Shayliss greets Issachar at her father's shop. Once he is inside, she leads him down to the basement. As soon as the reach the basement, she shuts the door and removes her bodice. "Finally alone!" She throws herself on Issachar in a passionate embrace.

Spoiler
    Show
    So . . . yeah, that's happening, what do you do?

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

17. - Top - End - #77

MindFlayer

Spoiler: READ
    Show
    I dunno if this makes sense as a way to reply but I felt like trying this

Quote Originally Posted by Illogictree View Post
    Halcyon catches up with Madison at the end of her latest performance. She is impressed by her virtuoso skills and excited by the thought of working together with someone.

"Hello! You remember me from the other day, right? My name is Halcyon Tanijar, I don't think we got a chance to introduce ourselves formally," she said excitedly, though not without a little trepidation. "Would you like to talk a bit over some tea perhaps?" As she chats with the other woman, she starts to calm down a bit and be more at ease.
    "Hey! Of course I remember you, how could I forget your dancing? Tea sounds lovely. I'm Madison Sanders, singer extraordinaire. Or so I hope to become!"

"There's not a lot of people who'd recognize a Thassilonian dance," she says, in reference to Madison's comment about the origins of her moves. "I've made a bit of a study of their culture. I've talked to... I mean, I've read a lot of materials about them, and not the usual stuff people are interested in. I don't care much about the accomplishments of their conquests or their magic. I'm a lot more curious about how they lived day-to-day, what they ate, what they sang about, how they danced..."

She points to the lines of turquoise tattoos on her face. "You see these? Genuine Thassilonian runes. I designed these tattoos myself... then later I actually learned how to read the language and found out I made complete nonsense of them." She giggles with embarrassment.
    "I've only a passing knowledge of Thessalonia unfortunately, though I'd love to learn more from you. History has always been of interest to me. Your tattoos are beautiful, what did you intend for them to say? And what did they end up saying? I'd like to get tattoos at some point, but I think my Father would kill me," she laughs. "I'm supposed to be his heir, I don't think he'd be too happy with me carrying on the family name if I did something "inappropriate for someone in my station"" she does finger quotes. "It's a miracle he let me come to this festival alone in the first place, and that business with the goblins means I might not be let out on my own for the next few years." Madison sighs, "speaking of, I should probably send a note home so my family will know I'm alright."

Their discussion is interrupted when the Sheriff comes by and informs them of the side quests. When he mentions the violation of the tomb, Halcyon perks up. "I'll take care of that!" she says, immediately standing up to go find Father Zantus.
    Madison offers to go with her new friend, but if Halcyon thinks she can handle it alone she'll go seek out Foxglove to make sure he's doing alright, and pick up whatever reward he had for their group.

Show

Does sending exist in spheres? Can I pay a caster or something to send a message to my fam
    Last edited by BtanH; 2019-03-05 at 01:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verezza's eyes roll as the girl approaches Issachar, trying not to groan when she does her plea to the young rogue. His answer irritates her even more, but shestays quiet, waiting for the girl to leave before turning to her friend. "That was awkward to watch. Take care, Issachar," she says, slapping his back with a little more force than necessary. "Do not let rats eat you up," she finishes with a smile.

Since his friend has other plans, the goliath decides to agree with the sheriff's request. The magical girls were going to investigate the crypt and, out of sheer boredom, she would check on the family attack. Maybe she would also have a story to tell Issachar in the evening. She decides to invite the blue-haired boy first, in case he wanted some (possible) action. Besides, she hadn't talked to him at all and he was a wizard, too, so she might have a better chance to learn something.

19. - Top - End - #79

Zadavyr hadn't seen much of the others. The rest of them might well have been in the same vicinity of inns, but he had his own home, and tended towards the taverns more frequented by locals.

Honestly he'd kind of forgotten about them. He met a lot of people, and most of them he never saw again. But the Sherrif he knew, and apparently he could help with a problem. He didn't actually care all that much, but he was always happy for payment in gold or reputation.
    "Amelle? Sheriff said you had a problem?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

As the door shut behind them, Issachar turned, suddenly wary. Wierd things had been happening in Sandpoint and he wanted no part of them. Particularly with a girl whose father was notoriously overprotective.

As Shayliss dropped her top and moved towards Iss, he realized that this wasn't what he was worried about, but it could easily lead to an entanglement he wanted to avoid. ducking under her advance under the guise of looking at tracks, he followed them to a shelf across the room. "Ahh, look here. The vermin tracks run right up to this shelf. I think we can smoke them out." Pulling a smokestick from under his cloak, he breaks it before standing back up. He pretendsd to just now notice the partially unclothed Shayliss. "Ahh, you seem to have lost your bodice. Did the rats chewing weaken the threads? Well, never you fear, this smoke will take care of it. Now, I susggest we get out of the basement before your father... I mean before the smoke fills the room."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Acrobatics to dodge Shayliss: (1d20+8)[19]
    Bluff to feign ignorance: (1d20+8)[10]

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Desecrated Vault

Madison finally catches up to Halcyon and the sheriff. By the time she gets there, they are standing in front of the gate of the opened vault, examining the area to determine who or what did this.

Issachar's move distracts the young maiden and he takes the opportunity to head to the stairs, but as he does so, he runs right into her father, Ven Vinder.

A rather large man, Issachar stops cold. The shopkeeper takes one look at Iss and then at the smoke behind him, which is thankfully concealing young Shayliss. He raises an eyebrow. "Who do we have here? An arsonist? Explain yourself, young man, before I send for the town guard to have you locked up."

Monster in the Closet

Amele Barrett is a petite woman, who seems frantic, her eyes red from where there had been tears. She clutches her baby Verah to her chest and holding on to the back of her other child's, a boy named Aeren, shirt.

Tears begin to well up in her eyes as she recounts to Verezza and Zadavyr the events of the past few nights. "Something is living in our house, and I'm afraid it killed our dog, and possibly my husband Alergast as well. During the Swallowtail Festival, it was horrible, young Aeren here saw a goblin set a cat on fire. That night, and ever since, he started complaining about something in his room. He's howled every night and our dog Petal would bark frantically, keeping us awake. When my husband went to investigate, our son claimed a goblin came out of his closet. Alergast checked the closet, but found nothing. It grew tiresome, and last night, Alergast threatened to have Aeren sleep in the wood shed if he could be a man and stop crying and telling stories."

Her tears now fall much more heavily as she turns up young Aeren's arms, which are covered in dozen of goblin bite marks. "It turns out, my son was not just telling stories!! Last night, my son still cried out again. Alergast went to soothe him, but Petal's barking suddenly turned shrill. When my husband burst into the room, our dog was dead with a knife buried deep in her ear and a goblin was gnawing on Aeren's arm!! Alergast attacked the little monster, but it fled into the closet. He flew into a rage and started tearing the closet apart, searching for the little green demon. I was scared for my children, so I fled with them to safety! I haven't heard from my husband since, and I fear the worst! Please! Please help me, I fear it is still in our house and I am terrified to think about what happened to my husband!"

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #82

"Well, I can make sure your house is safe. Am I gonna need a key?" There wasn't really much else to say to that. The tall woman seemed kind of familiar though, even though she wasn't from round here. Was she one of the travelers knocking around for the festival? He'd though most of those had started to head off, but hey, they wanted to give more business, great.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post

Issachar's move distracts the young maiden and he takes the opportunity to head to the stairs, but as he does so, he runs right into her father, Ven Vinder.

A rather large man, Issachar stops cold. The shopkeeper takes one look at Iss and then at the smoke behind him, which is thankfully concealing young Shayliss. He raises an eyebrow. "Who do we have here? An arsonist? Explain yourself, young man, before I send for the town guard to have you locked up."
    "No sir. I'm an exterminator. Your daughter sais she was having trouble with rats in the cellar, and you were out hunting for her sister. She asked if I could help, so that's why I'm here. My da' always smoked the rats out of our barn, back on the farm, so I am doing the same for you. You can thank me later!

Your daughter should be right up."

Iss looks back into the smoke to see if Shayliss is on her way.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Bluff Shayliss' father to keep him from beating the crap out of me... (1d20+8)[18]

If Shayliss isn't coming, Iss will go back down to find her.

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BtanH View Post
    "I've only a passing knowledge of Thessalonia unfortunately, though I'd love to learn more from you. History has always been of interest to me. Your tattoos are beautiful, what did you intend for them to say? And what did they end up saying? I'd like to get tattoos at some point, but I think my Father would kill me," she laughs. "I'm supposed to be his heir, I don't think he'd be too happy with me carrying on the family name if I did something "inappropriate for someone in my station"" she does finger quotes. "It's a miracle he let me come to this festival alone in the first place, and that business with the goblins means I might not be let out on my own for the next few years." Madison sighs, "speaking of, I should probably send a note home so my family will know I'm alright."
    Halcyon laughs sympathetically at Madison's plight. "Ahh... I'm sure he'll be fine with your being here. Who wouldn't want to have a hero in their family? What does your family do anyway, if you don't mind my asking?"

"As to my tattoos... I picked ones that I liked the looks of. They don't really say anything meaningful, though a few are apparently their names for types of magic. This one, for instance..."
    She points to one that looks vaguely like a highly stylized person lying down, "This one is their sign for conjuration magic, like the warp abilities I have and my calling up my little glowing friends."

Madison offers to go with her new friend, but if Halcyon thinks she can handle it alone she'll go seek out Foxglove to make sure he's doing alright, and pick up whatever reward he had for their group.

"Oh, if you want to, I'd be grateful for you to come along, Madison. I would feel a bit more at ease if someone else were with me."

At the crypt, Halcyon studies the surroundings and examines the tracks. She's not much of a huntress or outdoorsperson, but she's doing her level best.

Show

Perception check: (1d20+1)[21]

...Also since I neglected to roll for them earlier, here's the Performance checks to see how Halcyon did at her dances over the last few days.
    Day 1: (1d20+14)[32]
    Day 2: (1d20+14)[23]
    Day 3: (1d20+14)[24]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Desecrated Vault

Halcyon notices that several of the footprints are smaller, possibly goblinoid, but there is a set of larger, humanoid footprints as well. The all lead to the wall of the vault, apparently they climbed over it, then entered the vault proper.

Spoiler: Ven Vinder's Sense Motive
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20)[2]

". . . Ah, I see . . . I have been busy as of late, my eldest shacking up with that lumberjack, I have not been able to keep up with the shop's maintenance. I guess Shayliss has taken it upon herself to call in help. Good for her, showing initiative. Though I am unsure if this will do the trick, I may need Issachar's help again if it doesn't."

Out of the smoke, Shayliss appears, once again fully clothed. "Thank you, father, it had to be done, it was becoming a real problem." She glances over at Iss, gives him a wink, stepping closer and pinching his . . . posterior.

"Certainly, we are glad to have his help!" He walks forward and pats Iss on the shoulder.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So, yeah, this side quest is technically finished, but Shayliss does not seem done with Iss yet, and that will probably come to cause issues in the future. You can continue to pursue this as you wish or leave it alone for now.

Monster in the Closet

Amele leads Verezza and Zadavyr to her house. She opens the door, but remains outside. The house is disturbingly silent. Inside Aeren's room, Alergast is found on his belly, looking as if he was trying to crawl into the closet. However, he remains still.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-03-09 at 03:09 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

26. - Top - End - #86

MindFlayer

Halcyon laughs sympathetically at Madison's plight. "Ahh... I'm sure he'll be fine with your being here. Who wouldn't want to have a hero in their family? What does your family do anyway, if you don't mind my asking?"
    "He can be a bit protective...I think he'd rather have me safe at home than a hero." She laughs. "They're merchants! I've always had a bit of a way with people, so I'd probably be pretty good at it. People think it's a lot of numbers but everything gets a lot easier if people like you." Madison winks.
    "As to my tattoos... I picked ones that I liked the looks of. They don't really say anything meaningful, though a few are apparently their names for types of magic. This one, for instance..." She points to one that looks vaguely like a highly stylized person lying down, "This one is their sign for conjuration magic, like the warp abilities I have and my calling up my little glowing friends."
    "Ooooh, you can warp? That's always sounded to me like something I'd love to learn. It's probably so convenient. No more climbing steep hills or taking ladders."

"Oh, if you want to, I'd be grateful for you to come along, Madison. I would feel a bit more at ease if someone else were with me."
    "Of course, I'd love to help."
    At the crypt, Halcyon studies the surroundings and examines the tracks. She's not much of a huntress or outdoorsperson, but she's doing her level best.
    "Anything you've noticed Halcyon?" Madison asks. She also turns to Father Zantus. "Any idea why someone would desecrate the vault? Is there anything valuable here? Have you noticed anything missing?

Show

Sense Motive in case it's useful - (1d20+4)[16]
    And diplomacy just because - (1d20+11)[24]
    Last edited by BtanH; 2019-03-10 at 12:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Verezza ends up following Zadamyr to the house, as apparently the blue-haired boy was familiar with the involved. She stays quiet while the woman speaks, paying more attention to the small boy she clutches, the one who had been attacked. She did not voice her thoughts, as Zadamyr was a local, but she could not understand how the Sheriff did not hear these pleas himself when he was apparently the one trying to find more goblins in his city. Such clumsy work would never been accepted in her clan. Simply nodding as the woman and the boy came to terms, she follows Zadamyr into the bedroom where the still body was.

She immediately steps forward, placing her shield at the closet's entrance to prevent anything from bursting out, while kneeling next to Alergast and grabbing his leg, noticing the firmness and temperature. "I'm sorry," she says somberly to the body, before pulling it so they could take a better look. Her spear was on the ground easily reachable, but she was more interested in protecting the man if he was still alive, or not defiling his body further if not.

Show
    Verezza will pull the body quickly if he seems dead, and genlty if he feels alive. Either way, she is prepared to defend herself if a goblin jumps out of it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Footprints going in only? Hmm, curious. "It looks like we might have some goblins and someone regular-sized," she says quietly. "...I don't know if they were together or one was chasing the other. We should be careful."

She starts carefully toward the vault entrance, trying to be as quiet as possible, and trying to peek inside.

Show

Stealth: (1d20+2)[3]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Monster in the Closet

As Verezza examines Alergast, she pulls him back to find his throat slit and his face mostly eaten away. In an instant, from a hole in the floorboards beneath the closet, a goblin, mad with hunger leaps out, ready to attack.

Show
    Initiative rolls
    Verezza (1d20+2)[14]
    Zadavyr (1d20-2)[4]
    Goblin (1d20+6)[25]

The Desecrated Vault

Halcyon attempts to creep towards the vault as Madison watches. The Sheriff remains outside the gate in the event the intruders try to sneak out. Halcyon is unable to conceal her bound spirits very well, and as she enters the precipice their pale radiance is cast across the interior. Inside, however, the sarcophagus the held the remains of Ezakien Tobyn's remains is opened and empty and standing ready to attack are two animated skeletons.

Show
    Skeleton Perception check (1d20)[18]

Initiative rolls
    Halcyon (1d20+2)[14]
    Madison (1d20+2)[13]
    Skeletons (1d20+6)[25]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Monster in the Closet

The feral goblin lashes at Verezza, wielding a broken shard of metal as a dagger.

Show
    Goblin attack (1d20+3)[19]
    Crit? (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage (1d3+1)[4]

The Desecrated Vault

Both skeletons charge towards Hal, raking at her with their bony hands.

Show
    S1 attack (1d20+2)[13]
    Crit? (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage (1d4+2)[4]

S2 attack (1d20+2)[13]
    Crit? (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage (1d4+2)[3]

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim