New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

It's pretty meh.

You're locked into a dumb melee bruiser, but if you wanted anything else, you wouldn't play one of these anyways.

I'm not sure it scales particularly well, but it's not like dumb melee bruisers do particularly well at higher levels in the first place. You aren't going to be any better, but nor will you be worse.

The role you fill is a bad one, but filling it solely with class levels would not be an improvement of much significance, if any.
    I'm going to go with +0. Probably on the weaker side of +0, but that's as much the role you're locked into as anything else.

Edit: I wouldn't play one, but I wouldn't normally play a dumb melee bruiser anyways.
    Last edited by javcs; 2019-03-13 at 06:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    It's pretty meh. [...] I wouldn't play one, but I wouldn't normally play a dumb melee bruiser anyways.
    This.

I would (draconic) polymorph into one of these, because that's all they're good for.
    Typical 9th-level gishes (sorcadin, swiftblade, JPM, RKV) learn how to be a cave troll right around the level actual cave trolls come online, and they bring a ton of additional class features with them.

LA -0 for me.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    This.

I would (draconic) polymorph into one of these, because that's all they're good for.
    Typical 9th-level gishes (sorcadin, swiftblade, JPM, RKV) learn how to be a cave troll right around the level actual cave trolls come online, and they bring a ton of additional class features with them.

LA -0 for me.
    this makes sense to me. -0

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    This.

LA -0 for me.
    While I understand the sentiment, I'm not sure I agree with comparing a tier 4 beatstick to a tier 2 or 1 fullcasting gish.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Cave troll votes:

-0: 9 votes
    +0: 10 votes

The +0 squad barely pulls ahead, and the cave troll shall receive their favored assignment.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Troll, Crystalline

Another weird troll offshoot!

Crystalline trolls have 10 giant RHD, ability scores that are a bit less impressive than the cave troll's, mental stats that are low, but not abysmal, weak (1d6) claws and bite, acid immunity, and a moderate rend ability.

Most notably, they have regeneration 5 that's overcome only by sonic damage (which they are also vulnerable to). That's pretty huge: while fire and acid aren't the most uncommon damage types, sonic is found on only a handful of monsters.

Note that this doesn't mean most foes can't kill you: if all else fails piling dirt on your face and smacking you for a few minutes lets them execute you. It does, however, mean that during combat almost no foes can permanently keep a crystalline troll down, and that barring a TPK, combat is almost never truly dangerous.

That said, no matter how nice the regeneration is, ultimately I don't feel like the crystalline troll's offensive presence is sufficient to do it justice. -0 LA for now, but open to suggestions for +0.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #277

As far as I can tell, the only thing this has over a normal troll is +2 charisma, +2 natural armor and immunity to acid, in addition to a more difficult to overcome regeneration. The cave troll at least had some beefy stats and a gimmick. If we say the normal troll is balanced at ECL 7, there's no way this thing is a worthwhile pick at ECL 10. With two RHD lopped off it might be playable, with three RHD lopped off it's basically a slightly better troll.

Also, making a creature that's all about regeneration and regrowth out of inorganic, brittle material is friggin' weird.
    Last edited by OgresAreCute; 2019-03-15 at 07:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Also, making a creature that's all about regeneration and regrowth out of inorganic, brittle material is friggin' weird.
    Crystal growth is legitimately interesting, though.

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #279

Sonic may be relatively rare on monsters, but it's not that hard for casters to get, and at 10 RHD, you're getting into the level ranges where the DM is going to need to rely more on classed up opponents, because, let's be honest, you're getting into the level ranges where the only monsters that are still viable either have some sort of innate magical abilities or have been given class levels, or both. You're also getting into the level ranges where caster supremacy really gets going.

You can't even make like a rogue and UMD your way through. Or go into a casting PRC or go gishy.

LA -0 for the crystal troll.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

I like the crystal troll, but 10 RHD is way too much for something with no real active abilities. -0.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooooh I've already faced one of those!

...but still LA -0. Too many HDs for what they do.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-03-15 at 08:57 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #282

LA -0. You would need to shave 3 RHD, maybe 4, to reach parity. This thing has almost nothing going for it besides the Regeneration, and that only takes you so far.

13. - Top - End - #283

Regen is nice but its statistically inferior by a long shot to its cave dwelling cousin. -0

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    As far as I can tell, the only thing this has over a normal troll is +2 charisma, +2 natural armor and immunity to acid, in addition to a more difficult to overcome regeneration. The cave troll at least had some beefy stats and a gimmick. If we say the normal troll is balanced at ECL 7, there's no way this thing is a worthwhile pick at ECL 10. With two RHD lopped off it might be playable, with three RHD lopped off it's basically a slightly better troll.

My thoughts exactly, this is standard troll with 4 extra rhd and nothing to show for it. At least Cave troll got somethings for his 3 extra rhd, I don't think it got enough to justify the 3 extra rhd but it at least got something...

15. - Top - End - #285

Goblin

I'll just toe the party line and agree with the Crystalline Troll at LA -0.

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Note that this doesn't mean most foes can't kill you: if all else fails piling dirt on your face and smacking you for a few minutes lets them execute you.
    You'd still have to use sonic damage to perform the execution, though:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium
    If the attack used to deliver a coup de grace is of a type that regeneration converts to nonlethal damage, the coup de grace fails to kill the regenerating creature.

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I'll just toe the party line and agree with the Crystalline Troll at LA -0.

I think the idea is to let the troll die from suffocation ("Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation."), the attacks are just to keep it down.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    What AMX said above-the regenerating creature dies from drowning/suffocation. The party just keeps hitting them to pile on subdual damage they have to regenerate before they can regain consciousness, until the lack of air kills them. Pretty standard tactic at most levels for dealing with any regenerating critter that is not vulnerable to fire.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2019-03-15 at 12:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    I think the idea is to let the troll die from suffocation ("Regeneration does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation."), the attacks are just to keep it down.
    Exactly what I was getting at, thanks for explaining.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #289

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    What AMX said above-the regenerating creature dies from drowning/suffocation. The party just keeps hitting them to pile on subdual damage they have to regenerate before they can regain consciousness, until the lack of air kills them. Pretty standard tactic at most levels for dealing with any regenerating critter that is not vulnerable to fire.
    What about Con damage, Death Effects, negative levels, certain polymorph effects and so on?

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by MeimuHakurei View Post
    What about Con damage, Death Effects, negative levels, certain polymorph effects and so on?
    Hence 'standard'. Obviously a high level or at least well equipped party will have a few means of crossing them out, hence the qualifier of being a tactic rather than the tactic. A torch can be used to coup de grace a regenerator vulnerable to fire, but a low level or badly depleted party may not have the means to permanently kill something with another type of regeneration at immediate hand. Beating it unconscious then burying it or pushing it underwater can be managed in most environments, even without magic.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

• Large giant - OK.
    • 10 RHD - boo!
    • Speed 30 ft - not amazing for a large creature.
    • +7 natural AC - underwhelming at ECL 10.
    • 2 claws and a bite - OK.
    • Rend is OK-ish, in the right build.
    • Darkvision 60ft, low light vision, scent - decent senses.
    • Immunity to acid - good, but situational.
    • Regeneration overcome by sonic - definitely the most noteworthy feature of this beast.
    • Vulnerability to sonic - situational, but sucks considering your regeneration.
    • Str +12, Dex +2, Con +12, Int -4, Wis -2, Cha -2: net +18. Pretty good, but again, underwhelming at ECL 10, especially compared to many other melee brutes.
    • Very limited racial skill list: Listen and Spot are nice, but 2 skills? Nope. I find it amusing that they bother listing bonus languages.

Verdict: LA -0. Melee brute with solid regen is good, but not compared to 10 lost class levels. Hits to ALL mental stats also sucks. Even with Primordial Giant, you're still taking a hit to Wis.

22. - Top - End - #292

Goblin

Exactly what I was getting at, thanks for explaining.
    My apologies for misunderstanding.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

So which high HD melee brutes have come out at LA +0? Is Cave Troll the highest (at 9HD)?

24. - Top - End - #294

MindFlayer

Verdict: LA -0. Melee brute with solid regen is good, but not compared to 10 lost class levels. Hits to ALL mental stats also sucks. Even with Primordial Giant, you're still taking a hit to Wis.
    Much better summary than I'm motivated to do, agree at LA -0.

More HD and much worse than the cave troll nearly everywhere it matters, including full attack and/or charge damage.

Regeneration 5 (sonic) is amazing, even with sonic vulnerability. This guy doesn't do enough damage or have a special effect to scare any real opponent, dwarven defender problem basically. You'll always be the last to die, but you won't do much until they kill everyone else, pound you to -100 and suffocate you.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

-0. Being unkillable isn't useful unless you can draw aggro. Might as well be a monk

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollreader View Post
    -0. Being unkillable isn't useful unless you can draw aggro. Might as well be a monk
    A monk would be more useful than the crystal troll.

Forest troll is next.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I guess a Thorn and a Cave Troll have to make a party and go on a quest of self-discovery to see if they're +/- 0. Do we have imitation clerics and wizards to round out the party?
    I'm pretty sure we do, but they're not near the 0 LA boundary, because caster monsters' ability to both cast and monst makes them generally potent.

Another weird troll offshoot!.
    Disappointed by the lack of Discworld references. (Mr. Shine, he diamond!)

So which high HD melee brutes have come out at LA +0? Is Cave Troll the highest (at 9HD)?
    Depends on how strictly you define "melee brute". A list of likely candidates at 9 HD or above:
    Spoiler
    Show

Chimera (9)
    Dragonne (9)
    Cadaver Golem (10)
    Astral Stalker (12)
    Barbed Devil (12)
    Beblith (12)
    Frost Worm (14)

And plausible ones:
    Spoiler
    Show

Naityan Rakshasha (9)
    Kolyarut (13)
    Phasm (15)
    Sorrowsworn Demon (18)
    Balor (20)
    Titan (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

-0 for the crystalline troll, and there was much rejoicing. Expect a following monster soon.

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Forest Troll

The runts of the troll family, having only 5 RHD and being medium-sized. Then again, less HD tends to be a good thing in the context of this thread.

Forest trolls are some of the smartest trolls out there, being roughly as intelligent as a human. Their physical stats aren't bad (+6 strength and dexterity, +10 constitution), they got weak 1d4 claws and bite, and they have a low climb speed.

The trolls also have a badly-worded Poison ability. It *seems*, but isn't outright stated, that given some time forest trolls can coat their claws and manufactured weapons with a (presumably free?) poison that deals 1d6 constitution damage. That's not bad at all, but it wouldn't hurt for there to be some clearer wording.

Finally, because they're trolls after all, forest trolls have fast healing 5. It's definitely useful, and at low levels even has some notable in-combat effects.

Is all that worth 5 giant RHD? I'm not sure. In terms of damage, the forest troll will find itself outperformed by a lot of monsters, or even some PC races. Toughness-wise, it probably beats many of those, but 'being tough' isn't a combat role. Being a walking poison factory seems like it may have some utility, but it's important to note that nearly-equivalent poison can be produced by a caster with a viper familiar.

For now, I'll assign -0 LA, though again this is a relatively playable -0. Two lost points of BAB and unimpressive strength keep it from entering +0 LA territory. Remove one or two HD and this should be more balanced.

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #300

Losing that second point of BAB really hurts. I think I'd chop off one RHD from this guy before considering using it.

Tentative -0.