New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

I think the bad class skills and low base attack push it into -0 territory for me. As has been argued quite thoroughly, you lose too much both roles a rogue can hope to do (skillmonkey and damage). I also feel that there are lots of good skillmonkeys besides the rogue that are much higher in tier (bard and beguiler, of course, but cloistered clerics can be surprisingly solid with the right ACFs, and Unseen Seer builds are great), and a straight comparison to rogue is far too one-sided to get a good rating. If we're comparing the thorn to a t4 straight rogue to come up with +0, we're grasping at straws to pull out a positive LA.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    I think the bad class skills and low base attack push it into -0 territory for me. As has been argued quite thoroughly, you lose too much both roles a rogue can hope to do (skillmonkey and damage). I also feel that there are lots of good skillmonkeys besides the rogue that are much higher in tier (bard and beguiler, of course, but cloistered clerics can be surprisingly solid with the right ACFs, and Unseen Seer builds are great), and a straight comparison to rogue is far too one-sided to get a good rating. If we're comparing the thorn to a t4 straight rogue to come up with +0, we're grasping at straws to pull out a positive LA.
    Even if we are comparing to straight rogue 7 it comes out behind, -1 bab, worse skill set, less skill points, no trap finding, less sneak attack, no evasion, less versatility/variety in build. The extra ability scores, better will save, and sleep arrow soften the blow but they don't do enough to make it comparable to even a straight rogue 7 which is a bad baseline to begin with.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Trap sense is garbage
    That's why I mentioned ACFs: Penetrating Strike, for instance.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, I want the thorn to be +0, but I don't know if I can actually justify it.

It's probably the most playable -0 we've had in ages. Thumbs, a normal size (being really big or really little can be fun, but it also causes problems navigating your environment sometimes), no massive stat penalties, a measurable amount of offense that meshes with class levels, an action-free save-or-lose rider automatically tacked onto regular attacks... but it's damned hard to honestly say that it's on par with 6 class levels.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    It's probably the most playable -0 we've had in ages. Thumbs, a normal size (being really big or really little can be fun, but it also causes problems navigating your environment sometimes), no massive stat penalties, a measurable amount of offense that meshes with class levels, an action-free save-or-lose rider automatically tacked onto regular attacks... but it's damned hard to honestly say that it's on par with 6 class levels.
    The problem with the save-or-lose rider effect is that it relies on archery, which is arguably the worst attack mode in the game.

Does Hank's Energy Bow come in small size, or are you going to need Strongarm Bracers?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The problem with the save-or-lose rider effect is that it relies on archery, which is arguably the worst attack mode in the game.

Does Hank's Energy Bow come in small size, or are you going to need Strongarm Bracers?
    \

Archery is probably in the middle of attack modes. Better than one-handed and thrown, worse than TWF and 2H.

You can stab people with arrows as improvised weapons.

That's why I mentioned ACFs: Penetrating Strike, for instance.
    I thought the trade for that was Evasion. That is really good, if a little campaign dependent. The thorns strength boost compensates for that nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Even if we are comparing to straight rogue 7 it comes out behind, -1 bab, worse skill set, less skill points, no trap finding, less sneak attack, no evasion, less versatility/variety in build. The extra ability scores, better will save, and sleep arrow soften the blow but they don't do enough to make it comparable to even a straight rogue 7 which is a bad baseline to begin with.
    If we are comparing it to a R7 then its going to have trap finding.

It does the same damage, can do 3 SoLs in 1 round with the right build. They are a mind affecting fortitude save, so that's a thing

I think straight halfling rogue is a good floor for comparison. Currently my thought is better than it La+0, worse La -0. The same ??

With that said I think a strongheart halfling using boomerang daze is going to be just as good at most levels, but is going to be clearly better
    at levels where it gets more attacks, so I'll go with an LA of -0

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread: Making monster PCs VI-able

To be honest, as with the Pixie version, the Sleep Arrow ability is a bit poorly defined. How many arrows do you get? Do they spawn from thin air? Does any mundane arrow you pick up automatically gain the sleep ability? Can you hand them off to party members to use?

If you can hand them off to others to use, then the Thorn deserves LA +/-0* IMHO.

[edit] Not sure if it changed in 3.5, but in Savage Species, under the Pixie racial class, it says you need to craft the arrows:
    Upon reaching 4th level, a pixie can craft pixie sleep arrows and pixie memory loss arrows as though meeting all of the requisites.
    ...unless I'm missing something, no further info is given about exactly how to craft these arrows or costs involved.

Was any of this touched on during the Pixie discussion?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post22346543

[/edit]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Comparing to t4 rogue I think it is +0. That the closest comparison point. Fey type has advantages (not being humanoid type is an advantage almost always ) as well. The stats make the damage pretty equal and lets you play around with all your scores a bit more so you can easily come out ahead in total skill points. You list is good if not awesome and those arrows can be great. If you compare it to t3 with like swordsage I think its a -0, but I think its fine at tier 4.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    Comparing to t4 rogue I think it is +0. That the closest comparison point. Fey type has advantages (not being humanoid type is an advantage almost always ) as well. The stats make the damage pretty equal and lets you play around with all your scores a bit more so you can easily come out ahead in total skill points. You list is good if not awesome and those arrows can be great. If you compare it to t3 with like swordsage I think its a -0, but I think its fine at tier 4.
    My issue is that it falls behind too much when it's behind an attack.

10. - Top - End - #190

Over 20 levels vs. straight rogue it ends up with the same amount of attacks and its unlikely to matter in combat most of the time. You lose some damage but you can just use arrows to take someone out then coup de grace them.

Plus if you have to mix it up in melee and not one turn kill the enemy, with more ac, hp, and the dr will help you more than the extra attack damage. If a round of sneak attack kills the enemy with that one extra attack, it is rarely enough of a threat to have that one more round matter.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Thorn LA!

-0 LA: 9 votes
    +0 LA: 9 votes

...not entirely surprisingly, it appears to be a tie. For now I'll declare this one a special case, and go with +0/-0.

That said, I am not planning to make this a regular voting option, nor will I be assigning it in initial assessments. Only because the community is perfectly divided on an admittedly troublesome creature will +0/-0 be used here.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Topiary Guardian

when you have to defend your mansion at 7 but enter a landscaping competition at 8

Anyway: topiary guardians are, as the descriptive text explains, not animate plants, but rather golem-like beings that just happen to use plants as a solid form. The statblock then proceeds to ignore all that and makes them plant-type anyway.

The guardians are surprisingly detached from the animal they mimic: hit dice, ability scores and natural armor bonus are all size-dependent, while movement modes other than land speed are lost.

The guardians also all have fire vulnerability, DR 10/slashing, tremorsense, and the ability to deal nonlethal damage without penalty. Furthermore, they can hold themselves motionless and appear to be a shrub to anyone who doesn't succeed on a DC 30 Spot check.

However, the issue is that Topiary Guardian is typically going to be increasing something's HD to the point where it loses net viability. I guess there's a few niche cases where the template gives a boost, like by applying it to a legendary wolf or something, but those cases are rare and more based on lost RHD than any real benefit from the template itself. In any case, I doubt the resulting creature would qualify for more than -0 LA.

+0 LA for the guardians in rare optimal cases, but if something it's only +0 LA on a handful of creatures it's hardly worthy of being called +0 at all. -0 LA, secure your garden in some other way.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2019-03-07 at 03:00 AM.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

My first thought when I saw that it had a set amount of HD was to take something super huge (number-wise), yet only medium size-wise and that way it might be useable. Sadly, your ability scores are also a set amount depending on size, so this is just crap.

Known among friends as "Ogres"

...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    My first thought when I saw that it had a set amount of HD was to take something super huge (number-wise), yet only medium size-wise and that way it might be useable. Sadly, your ability scores are also a set amount depending on size, so this is just crap.

I actually looked around, and the best I could find were the Legendary Animals that are also medium-sized (ape and wolf). Both would end up with somewhat underwhelming ability scores and 5 bad RHD, though.

The ape would have a 2d6/1d8/1d8 attack routine, which when combined with a 2d8 Rend and DR 10/slashing is kind of respectable, but the two lost BAB suck and the ability scores aren't too impressive by then either.

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #195

LA -0. I am going to save my energy for analyzing worthwhile entries. If you could apply the template to something besides an Animal, maybe, but as is there is really nothing of that type that gains much from this application.

16. - Top - End - #196

-0. Neat window dressing but more or less bad otherwise.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

pretty easy -0...

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I wonder if the designers settled on plant type because the golems are still dependent upon the topiary being healthy and looking good. They probably reasoned that blight or some dehydrating attack would probably hurt these and decided against the construct type.

As for making these a PC, what would the story of a Legendary Ape Topiary Guardian be? Did Francine Patterson and Cleve Backster join forces to see if the combined communication power of gorillas and plants could make a creature that could talk to everything? Then did they get mad scientist bored and weaponize it because why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    I wonder if the designers settled on plant type because the golems are still dependent upon the topiary being healthy and looking good. They probably reasoned that blight or some dehydrating attack would probably hurt these and decided against the construct type.

As for making these a PC, what would the story of a Legendary Ape Topiary Guardian be? Did Francine Patterson and Cleve Backster join forces to see if the combined communication power of gorillas and plants could make a creature that could talk to everything? Then did they get mad scientist bored and weaponize it because why not?
    My vote is House Vadalis was trying to compete with Cannith's warforged by creating sentient plant soldiers that could be commanded and mass scale weaponized!

20. - Top - End - #200

MindFlayer

If int 0/-10 I'm definitely going -0. If the DM is very generous at giving out a real Int score for free (and maybe Cha), a legendary ape or something might eke out +0. Medium size is the only real hope, and even then I think I'd significantly prefer orc warblade.

So yeah, -0.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Secure your garden in some other way.
    The kids will stay off my lawn if it's on fire.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fun option to generate NPC stat blocks for a combat encounter, hot garbage for PCs. -0 flat out.

If you have to optimize heavily to get it to +0, it's not +0.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Topiary Guardian: For me the set ability scores (and them being mediocre without awakening shenanigans) plus the absence of any special ability of note throws it instantly in the -0 bin.

Thorn: Looks fun and about on par, 5/7 would play, +0.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

-0 for the topiary guardians. Even if you dumpster dive splat books for a base creature to exploit, as shown above, the results are still fairly underwhelming.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Fun option to generate NPC stat blocks for a combat encounter ...
    Truth. Had a couple of these fellahs running Trample attacks all over an unoptimized level 10 to 15 party I was in. It was amusing and a good fight.

IIRC two different party members passed the Spot checks.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Topiary Guardian is easy enough that even I feel comfortable weighing in. -0.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

When a creature exists purely for the word play. This is definitely something fun to surprise players with, but hardly a match for any equally leveled half-elf. -0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

So the only base creature stats that really matter are attacks and land speed?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway: topiary guardians are, as the descriptive text explains, not animate plants, but rather golem-like beings that just happen to use plants as a solid form. The statblock then proceeds to ignore all that and makes them plant-type anyway.
    I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe it's a matter of power source, e.g. fey spirits vs. elemental spirits?

But yeah, they're not that great as PCs. They're also not that great as lawn-guards; deterrence is usually more effective than trampling, and you're not going to deter any intruders with some neat topiary. To quote a certain book reviewer, HEDGES ARE NOT SCARY!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Firbolg in the Playground

For what it's worth, plants count as objects for spells so one could just Animate Objects some hedges and get better guarduan shrubberies than these.