New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

I do like the idea of Martial Domains, though I think they may fit better as options for Paladins, Favoured Souls and Crusaders. Maybe even Monks.

Also, maybe give examples of god's associated with each martial domain.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, we'd need more martial domains before we could do that .

That said, in the original incarnation, any deity with War, Battle, Combat, Slaughter, Strength, etc in its portfolio grant Martial Domains as a general rule.

So, gods like Kord, Grummish, St. Cuthbert, Pelor, Heironeous, Hextor, and so on.

Some martial Domains, like the Vanguard domain, might only be offered by gods with Protection in their portfolio, such as Moradin.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at my life realistically, I may not be able to critique other's ideas and work to the extent I had initially hoped when I joined this thread. I'll still probably be doing the mechanics for my legacy weapons (maybe not the description of the challenges, nor its history), moving Falling Anvil into a new thread and tweaking it, and working on the Faultline series of maneuvers.

That having been said I am not going to pass up a chance to critique if I am posting and happen to have something I can think of to say.

Regarding Maritial Domains:
    This could just be me, and how I was trying to read quickly, but a lot of the details get lost in the way it is presented. What I would suggest is to create two separate sets of rules, one for Adepts, and one for clerics. The Domains descriptions themselves can remain as they are, with the possible exception of a parathetical reminder in each Granted Power section "(Cleric Only)". The repetitiveness between the two versions of the main text of the rules would be worth it to avoid confusion regarding which exceptions apply to which way of taking them.

You also need to correct the Post #1 description of how the knowledge domain works for martial maneuvers, since there it sounds like you permanently lose access to the maneuvers if you use one of the spells. I also note that using the maneuver doesn't cut access to the spell, so if you save your casting for the end of the day (which a lot of the spells in that domain might be useful in?) then it MIGHT be considered cheesy.

Saying the maneuvers are "Always Readied" creates confusion in that it seems they can still be expended. I think the word you want is "Prepared".

I believe that clerics are supposed to be able to use the maneuvers 1/day? If so, saying that, rather than just saying they don't get a martial-adept-class type recovery method would probably be good.

Also, if I am reading the Martial Domains right, they might be fine for a cleric, but a martial initiator simply has to take a single feat to get one to nine maneuvers known. Obviously this knocks Martial Study into a cocked hat, with the POSSIBLE exception of Crusaders who can be argued to prefer fewer maneuvers readied... actually adding 9 maneuvers readied, with no increase in maneuvers initially granted is probably a nerf.

So are we sure we want that power-level bump?

Regardless of the answer to the previous question, I would give Crusaders the ability to pick and choose which maneuvers they prepare whenever they prepare maneuvers, even if they never count against the number known or readied. So at level 17+ they COULD Ready all 9 if they are willing to accept the added chance of not getting the maneuver they need, even several rounds into a combat.

Also, my brain apparently decided to take the "Why would a cloistered cleric take a martial domain?" thing as a challenge.

I am in a BIG hurry to leave for a doctor's appointment and am thus breaking some rules without explicitly discussing the pros and cons of doing so. Might be some typoes too.

Power level probably means this should ONLY be available to cloistered clerics.

Fearless Observer Domain

Domain Power: Spot and Listen always count as class skills.

1- Moment of Perfect Mind [DM]
    2- Action Before Thought [DM]
    3- Mind Over Body [DM] OR Zephyr Dance [DW] [Pick one on gaining access to these two.]
    4- [Whichever of the preceding two you didn't pick before]
    5- Black Pearl of Doubt (STANCE) [DM] OR Hearing the Air (STANCE) [DM]
    6- Moment of Alacrity [DM] OR Iron Heart Endurance [IH]
    7- Quicksilver Motion [DM] OR Shadow Blink [SH]
    8- Immortal Fortitude (STANCE) [DS] OR Diamond Defense [DM]
    9- ?????????????? (Maybe Dancing Leaf's 9th level Counter? Both of the two you didn't pick at 6th and 7th levels? Add Wisdom to AC as a deflection or sacred/profane bonus?)

Alternatively, the domain bonus could be Alertness, or perhaps granting a defensive 1st level stance, such as Stance of Clarity (DM). Actually, Hunter's Sense (TC) could be an interesting option since it gives another source of information!
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

This was made a loooooong time ago so the mechanics are very wonky. The martial domain feat was just a bad idea that was never really corrected. Although it was intended for the feat to add to maneuvers known rather than readied. But, again, a bad idea that's better off ignored.

The mechanics, of course, can easily be changed, but the general idea was a Cleric could swap out a spell domain for a martial domain and have them function once-per-encounter like the martial study feat. We can, of course, just abandon the cleric aspect entirely use the concept for something else entirely.

Lastly, as a general rule, the martial domains don't give stances (Except as domain abilitied. I don't remember why I decided that, but I did.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I saw it shortly after you posted it, but I think I posted my prior post in this thread first.

The "in-combat" vs "out-of-combat" distinction becomes, at best, very muddy for the most important dynamic I wanted this (series of) maneuver(s) to add to the game. I was thinking of carefully crafted ambushes, and such-like. Possibly breaking enemy ambushes and entrenchments? Anyway, the idea is that it would be charged up before initiative is rolled, but released either in a surprise round (partial charge? AoO, usually with Combat Reflexes?), or the first full round of combat.
    In that case Lanth Sor's recommendation of making you able to charge as part of the attack seems important and also thematic.

The other seeming use for this maneuver is in a situation where you're facing "waves" of opponents, eg Streets of Blood in RHOD.

I suppose I could have it start out with,say, +4 damage and +2 to-hit (but -1 on crit. confirmation) or something like that.
    Still wouldn't be worth a FRA - compare steely strike which is +4 to hit.

BUT, I do think reducing the charge-up time is a good idea, for general use and especially for wave encounters.

So you get the bonus on more than one attack without it resetting after each attack, only at the end of a round you move too far (as usual for Stone Dragon stances, but with the same grace period the Strike gives?) or make a full-attack?
    Or do you recommend the bonus reset once used, but you don't HAVE to use it when attacking?
    For the stance, 'spend a move action to gain x (stacking) bonus on next attack'. Something for reach weapon users primarily though you can also translocate/transpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Hey, so I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in, but a few years ago I posted something I thought of called Martial Domains which, in effect, allowed Clerics to get in on the maneuver action.
    That's certainly the obvious choice for a TOB cleric ACF. At the same time I'm not especially eager to cut clerics in on the martial pie since they already have so much. Kind of sad if a clericzilla can now out-martial the martials.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

This was made a loooooong time ago so the mechanics are very wonky. The martial domain feat was just a bad idea that was never really corrected. Although it was intended for the feat to add to maneuvers known rather than readied. But, again, a bad idea that's better off ignored.
    Ah, I see!
    The mechanics, of course, can easily be changed, but the general idea was a Cleric could swap out a spell domain for a martial domain and have them function once-per-encounter like the martial study feat. We can, of course, just abandon the cleric aspect entirely use the concept for something else entirely.
    Once-per-encounter sounds good... unless we want to make it mandatory as a nerf to clerics. Or maybe they never get domain slots, only granted powers, regardless of which choice they make? Or maybe they pick two domain powers, domain slots and two sets of domain spells, OR two martial domains?
    Lastly, as a general rule, the martial domains don't give stances (Except as domain abilitied. I don't remember why I decided that, but I did.
    Probably because stances are more valuable than maneuvers! However, note that my idea included getting two 3rd level maneuvers, rather than a 3rd and a 4th BEFORE the first Stances could be acquired (except if we decided to make Hunter's Sense the Domain power which is "allowed" anyway). In addition, the fact that it is ONLY available to cloistered clerics who make the substitution, and how said substitution interacts with using the Knowledge Domain spells, is a pretty big nerf I think.

Come to that we could say that if you take a Stance at a given level then you DON'T get the matching maneuver for that level for your other martial domain. In this case I really should find a maneuver to put in at each of the levels that only have stances so far, even if it is under an leveled one.

Independently of the above, nerfing their IL progression for those maneuvers to the usual 1/2, or a compromise of 3/4 could be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    That's certainly the obvious choice for a TOB cleric ACF. At the same time I'm not especially eager to cut clerics in on the martial pie since they already have so much. Kind of sad if a clericzilla can now out-martial the martials.
    See my above notes in this post regarding how this could be turned into a nerf for clerics. As with granting other classes Martial options, it could enhances the overall "martial" feel of the setting.

Also, I have made some edits to Local Faultline Builds Pressure and copy-pasted some discussion from this thread and Discord (Direct Message with Lanth Sor) into the Faultline Maneuver(s) thread along with additional responses on some of the points, and some brand-new questions. Note that some of my old questions in a spoiler in the first post of that thread have still not received any comments.

I also added links there to my scratch pad on GoogleSheets.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-03-14 at 06:06 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Randomly did a discipline: Soothed Beast.

The concept is a "pacifist tank". Don't know if it's worth including, just an idea.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Because I'm some sort of maniac, I'm working on two things at once right now:

The first is martial discipline called "Wyrm's Might" which is all about emulating the endurance and the raw, destructive power of dragons. Notably, there are NO energy damage based maneuvers. That's something I'm explicitly avoiding.

If you're curious, here's the current "overview list" for Wyrm's Might:

(Intimidate is it's key skill, by the by.)

Spoiler: Wyrm's Might
    Show

1st:
    Wyrmflesh: Stance - Gain a natural armour bonus that scales with Intimidate
    Invoke the Dragon: Boost - Your next melee attack adds half your strength modifier as an addition to the damage.
    Lashing Claw: Strike - Make an attack with a light weapon as an immediate action, but deals less damage.
    Draconic Assault Stance: Stance - Deal damage as if your weapons were one size category larger.

2nd:
    Brutal Lizard Strength: Strike - Make a full attack as if your strength score were 6 points higher.
    Sweeping Iron Tail: Strike - Attack three squares simultaneously.
    Strike of Draconic Presence: Strike - After a successful melee attack, can demoralize as a free action, adding damage dealt to the intimidate check.

3rd:
    Turn Aside the Flames: Counter - Make a melee attack in place of a saving throw against energy damage or breath weapons.
    Glory of the Dragon: Stance - Gain Frightful Presence and immunity to draconic Frightful Presence
    Shell Crushing Might: Strike - Melee attack deals +2d6 damage can temporarily reduce target's damage reduction.

4th:
    Beseech the Dragon: Boost - All melee attacks made this round add half your strength modifier as an addition to the damage.

5th:
    Hulking Lizard Strength: Strike - Make a full attack as if your strength score were 12 points higher

6th:

7th:

8th:
    Tyrannical Lizard Strength: Strike - Make a full attack as if your strength score were 24 points higher.

9th:
    Multi-Headed Chromatic Onslaught: Strike - Make five attacks at your highest base attack bonus all with +5d6 damage.

As far as the names go, the fluff is basically that the creators were more likely to come to blows with evil dragons, as a result the names "stuck" because of it, but any alignment can use them. Multi-Headed Chromatic Onslaught, as an example, explicitly mentions a Crusader of Bahamut using it as the finishing blow against five evil dragons simultaneously.

The second thing is I'm going through the Dungeons and Dreamboats threads for useful images. I'll make an Imgur album at some point and link it here.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that preview looks really rough. Not exactly a surprise for a Work In Progress of course.
    1st:
    Wyrmflesh: Stance - Gain a natural armour bonus that scales with Intimidate
    Sounds fine so far.
    Invoke the Dragon: Boost - Your next melee attack adds half your strength modifier as an addition to the damage.
    VERY weak compared to Desert Wind's 1st level damage Boost Burning Blade... at least for an character with LA +0. For an actual dragon dipping a martial class or taking Martial Study this MIGHT actually be worth-while, but that would depend on how RHD work with I.L. and what their LA/CR is. the only avantage this has is that it isn't fire damage, which is often resisted.

As soon as you get more than one attack per round it is even worse.

tl;dr: Might actually want to make that your full strength modifier...
    Lashing Claw: Strike - Make an attack with a light weapon as an immediate action, but deals less damage.
    Sounds fine so far. Sorta like, Wolf Fang Strike (TC 1), Flashing Sun (DW 2), and Rapid Counter (DM 5), but different enough from all of them to have its own niche. That last one is the only one who I would say you need to especially check that you aren't stepping on the toes of, especially since I think taking an hand off of a two-hander to make an attack (including an AoO) with a (spiked) gauntlet then regrabbing it as a free action is perfectly acceptable.
    Draconic Assault Stance: Stance - Deal damage as if your weapons were one size category larger.
    You realize this is an 5th level Stone Dragon stance, right? (Giants Stance)
    2nd:
    Brutal Lizard Strength: Strike - Make a full attack as if your strength score were 6 points higher.
    +4 or 5 damage with a two-hander? Might actually be worth it, might not compared to other options. See comments on "Invoke the Dragon" and compare to Tigerclaw and Diamond Mind maneuvers.
    Sweeping Iron Tail: Strike - Attack three squares simultaneously.
    Mini-Whirlwind attack? Be sure to check this against Mithril Tornado (IH 4)
    Strike of Draconic Presence: Strike - After a successful melee attack, can demoralize as a free action, adding damage dealt to the intimidate check.
    Sure this shouldn't be a counter or boost? If you really mean a Strike (which might or might not be needed for balance) it should read something like "Make a melee attack, if it is successful, attempt to demoralize the target as a free action, adding damage dealt to the intimidate check.
    3rd:
    Turn Aside the Flames: Counter - Make a melee attack in place of a saving throw against energy damage or breath weapons.
    Fun. No idea on balance.
    Glory of the Dragon: Stance - Gain Frightful Presence and immunity to draconic Frightful Presence
    Umm... might want make sure that is scaled that down from full draconic frightful presence, or when you first get this the increased effect against those of 5 (4?) or less HD will make it cheesy.
    Shell Crushing Might: Strike - Melee attack deals +2d6 damage can temporarily reduce target's damage reduction.
    Interesting idea. Competes with XXX Mountain Hammer Stone Dragon maneuvers, while also being different enough to not feel like a direct copy. Balance using initiator action (Standard vs Full-Round) and duration.
    4th:
    Beseech the Dragon: Boost - All melee attacks made this round add half your strength modifier as an addition to the damage.
    Okay, so now it can affect as many attacks as Burning Blade (DW 1), see my comments on this maneuvers 1st level predecessor.

Going to stop here with these for the moment.

EVERYONE: Speaking of Dragons... are we sure we want to continue to exclude Breath of Fire?

In other news I have made a bunch of further edits to my Faultline series, including stuff in response to Elves latest round of critiques in that thread, adding the second of the main series, and an optional rule that nobody will probably want to bother with (I have this weird vendetta against fractions going unused).

Glanced at Soothed Beast earlier, had some thoughts, but it is getting too late for me to continence typing them up tonight.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

The second thing is I'm going through the Dungeons and Dreamboats threads for useful images. I'll make an Imgur album at some point and link it here.
    I don't have anything relevant, but I've done a small amount of image trawling and here is my current album of stuff. Many are just the PRC images collected from peoples' threads.

I'm only happy with a few of them honestly. The Red Child God is a cool idea though which I'll describe when it's time to put the fluff thread up. And the characters of "Mirian Ash" and "The Stag King" could, I feel, be cool.

Permissions-wise, basically assuming no one would have any reason to care (will credit though ofc).

FWIW your discipline could fit well with the Draconic Partisan PrC.

Speaking of Dragons... are we sure we want to continue to exclude Breath of Fire?
    It's a cool idea. I excluded for 5 reasons:

1) too niche
    2) breath augmentation already covered by metabreath feats
    3) I think it's a mistake to have "a discipline for everything", each one should be its own idea not just a supporter -- this is why I like your pufferfish stance (makes TC more than "the TWF disc" and underlines its fundamental theme)
    4) the color/feel of the name doesn't fit well in the overall list
    5) the maneuvers are fairly bland augmentations to the breath weapon, with the result that a dragon using this would actually be LESS different of an experience than one using another discipline

If it were going to be included, 5) would have to be addressed -- the easiest way being to just give them cool names that the dragon shouts out: Burning Petal Breath Technique!

Actually that would be the funny spin on it, that these are the draconic equivalent of "breath techniques".

And of course the breath would have to change colors depending on the maneuver -- carnelian flecked with gold, etc

For the discipline to work you'd also have to do cool new things with your breath: instead of acid, breathe a purple vapor that does x, etc
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-03-30 at 07:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Colossus in the Playground

That's a lot of Rakshasa. Which reminds me that we had a Rakshasa project at some point. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...munity-Project

I brewed some new Rakshasa for it, including a CR 10 Feral Rakshasa, who trades sorcerer spellcasting for Tiger Claw maneuvers, Pounce and more bestial shapeshifting.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #102

I also found this story again and now want to write more Rakshasa stuff:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=76

13. - Top - End - #103

With regards to the watermarks:
    Erasing watermarks is the biggest no from me. I'm marginally fine with using an artist's art without permission, but if we go around erasing artist's watermarks and signatures, I'm out of this project. That's just straight up theft.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

@DracoDei
    (On mobile so manual quote editing is a pain in the arse)

Wyrmflesh: The tricky part will be figuring out breakpoints and values.

Invoke the Dragon: I've decided to do both, actually. All attacks at double strength for damage. Or 2.5x for two handers.

Lashing Claw: Yeah, the thing that REALLY makes Lashing Claw different is that you can't use it on your turn. It's sort of like having a held action at all times.

Draconic Assault Stance: I actually didn't, no. I hold the Stone Dragon stances in such low regard I don't think of them. Generally speaking, upgrading a dice size is usually an average of about 2 damage.

Possible replacement granting a limited version of Powerful Build, before upgrading at a later level?

Brutal Lizard Strength: The key thing with this maneuver line is the strength bonus gives an attack bonus as well, despite the fact they're actually less damaging than similar maneuvers.

Sweeping Iron Tail: Basically this maneuver lets you hit in a line adjacent to you. So, while it gives you one target above Steel Wind, but less aiming flexibility.

Strike of Draconic Presence: A Demoralize attempt is already a standard action, so turning it into a strike seemed like the best idea.

Turn Aside the Flames: Replace a save with an attack roll. Simple idea, should hopefully be balanced.

Glory of The Dragon: The fun thing is I can manipulate how the Frightful Presence works, for instance I can make it so the only condition is Shaken, and have it run off Initiator Level not hit dice. (Because the fun thing is, everyone has an initiator level!)

Shell Crushing Might: Yeah, gonna be an interesting one to balance.

@Elves:

My thinking was "dragons are the biggest, baddest dudes out there, so in this Martial Renaissance, it makes sense that some martial guys are gonny try and mimic them." . I chose to steer clear of their energy damage side, and focus on the physical night and boundless endurance.

Plus, who wouldn't love shouting out "Brutal Lizard's Strength" before slicing an enemy in two?

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm having a bit of writer's block in regards to Wyrm's Might. So, if anyone has any ideas regarding how Martial Adepts would represent a dragon's might, notably without being overtly supernatural, I'm all ears.

As an aside, as a replacement for Draconic Assault Stance, does this look alright for a first level stance?

Spoiler: Wingfooted Stance
    Show

The greatest weapon a dragon has is not its breath, its magical power or its physical might, but instead its mobility. To fight on the wing and stay out of an opponent's reach.
    While in this stance and not flat footed you may, as an Immediate Action, move up to 10 feet provoking attacks of opportunity as normal. Moving in this manner also consumes your Move action for the round, as such if you have already moved and attacked or made a full round action this turn, you cannot make use of this stance.
    Additionally, you cannot move in this manner "in response" to another's actions, but can otherwise move at any time.

(In other words, you can move "between" an enemy's actions, but not during. For example: if an opponent moves next to you, you can use this stance to move away, but, you would have to do so before your opponent uses his Standard action. Likewise, you cannot use this stance to move out of the way of an area effect spell or ability.)

EDIT: As an aside-aside I think that the Legacy Weapon for Wyrm's Might is going to be a pair of gauntlets that function like claws, mechanically functioning as a double weapon in that regard.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2019-03-16 at 10:23 PM.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

16. - Top - End - #106

Griffon

Multiple attacks, skirmish effects, pounce, intimidate options, attacking multiple targets with one attack, grappling, a bite attack, jumping, snatching targets, a scream that acts like a breath weapon

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Some of those I have done, but there are some good ideas in there. Thanks.

Additionally, what do people think of this image as the Wyrm's Might practitioner image? Personally, it really captures the feel I'm going for with this discipline. You see a person, but you feel a dragon.
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2019-03-16 at 10:56 PM.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Draconic Corefire Prana - something something 'internal heat' heal/shake off effects
    Break the Egg
    Perspective of Aeons
    Hatchling's Caution
    Dominant Broodling - I saw an idea that one contributor to chromatic dragons being nastier is they might lay more eggs, resulting in savage competition between newly-hatched ones, where most die off (like birds etc do in nature but even moreso). This could be a battlefield control option where you push someone away, or it could be AOE
    Probably want defensive "scale" maneuver(s) if none already there

Probably too obvious, ones based off the different colors. Something like:
    Crimson Spite
    Frozen Frenzy
    Viridian Guile
    Skyblue Illusion
    Sable Sadist

Golden Serenity
    Silverscale Valor
    Copper Ingenuity
    Bliss of Brass
    Wisdom of Bronze

With regards to the watermarks:
    Erasing watermarks is the biggest no from me. I'm marginally fine with using an artist's art without permission, but if we go around erasing artist's watermarks and signatures, I'm out of this project. That's just straight up theft.
    Agreed. I think the only reference I made was to softening the edges of one where the text stood out sharply over the image; maybe even that's too far, but removing it wasn't in question.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-04-10 at 12:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Open question: Any ideas for new species? Preferably of the PC race/mook race variety.

LA 0 forms of Rakshasa are very possible, but they're from Hindu mythology, so in addition I'd like to have at least one new race that is unique to Tome of Battle.

The way MOI had dusklings and so on.

20. - Top - End - #110

We could do something with hobgoblins or warforged, maybe? Far from unique, I know, but they are quite fitting, at least.

Warforged have that nifty thing where they can get magic items implanted, perhaps we could write up a thing where Warforged could have the knowledge of maneuvers or stances inscribed on them.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

How about something like this:

Spoiler
    Show

Valkine

Much like celestials or fiends, Valkine are the result of humans and Valkyrie interbreeding generations prior. The descendents of these unions often have piercing, electric eyes and a near-unquenchable thirst for battle.

Racial traits:

Outsider (Native): Valkine are native outsiders, meaning they need to eat, sleep and breathe and can be raised or resurrected normally.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Valkine are powerful combatants, but they have little patience and charm.and

Medium: As medium creatures, Valkine have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Valkine base land speed is 30ft

Darkvision: As Outsiders, Valkine have Darkvision out to sixty feet.

Martial Blood: Valkine, like the Valkyrie they are descended from, have an inherent desire and skill for battle. Valkine begin play knowing a martial maneuver from the following list:
    [Insert list here]
    This maneuver can be used once per encounter and refreshes after five minutes of meditation. Their Initiator Level for this maneuver is equal to their hit dice. Valkine may treat this ability as the Martial Study
    feat for prerequisites.

+2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks, due to their piercing, electric gaze.

That's about it as a rough draft. Since "not humanoid" isn't actually worth level adjustment I figure this is probably fine at LA+0. Thoughts?

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Re Eldan: martial automaton could become a warforged template/variant.

Re Sgt. Cookie: Yes, half-valkyries would be good as Ysgard planetouched.

And then for Acheron, the other plane of war, an entry on bladelings that makes them slightly cooler seems appropriate. I'm thinking super anime, not like the 4e picture that makes them look like a halloween costume.

Still lacking something that's not a redo or half-breed though. Brainstorm:

Favored class Crusader: an extremely singleminded and obsessive species, because they (choose one)...
    a) are hivelike, with everyone having a single function
    b) evolved for extreme endurance hunting, perhaps on another plane
    c) were the first draft of mortals, created as barely-independent vessels for the ideology of whatever god made them
    d) are a strain of mortals brainwashed by gods, with their brains altered to be unquestioning servants
    e) have some kind of inbaked propensity for pursuing a single mission, such as having 'quest jewels' instead of hearts

Favored class Swordsage: masters of chi and auras, what stereotypical elves are for the arcane
    No idea what they'd look like, but possible traits:
    - chameleonlike "mood ring" appearance, but more dramatic, so that they change physically depending on state of mind (don't animagi do this in HP?)
    - they all transcended physicality a long time ago and their physical forms are merely manifestations of their real bodies, which are now ooshy gooshy light beings in some demiplane
    - look alien -- more Ethereal-Filcher-style surreal than Lovecraft creepy-crawly

Favored class Warblade: not really sure, maybe something created by another species as combat champions (I guess the martial automatons could go here but ideally those would be for all disciplines)

Other random thoughts:
    quadrupedal PC/mook race
    melee warrior elf subrace (probably same stats as wood elf but without the high elf stats in addition)

Monsters:
    warriors killed in a blood frenzy in battle who get killed but just keep fighting (undead)

---
    I'd like to have the new race(s) not just be 'humans in costumes' but can't think of any good specifics about appearance right now. Quadrupedal could be at least a bit different though.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, if you're open to undead in this project:

Spoiler: Nine Wrought Soul
    Show

Nine Wrought Soul

It is a secret known to those who have mastered the Sublime Way, that death is not the end of their knowledge, that their mastery will not go to the grave. But few are willing to use this secret, as it twists and corrupts the very knowledge they seek to preserve. Only the most unscrupulous masters wound even consider, let alone do.

By marking their bodies with knowledge, they seek to empower their very corpses with their experience, personality and mastery over the Sublime Way. Such twisted abominations are called Nine Wrought Souls.

Creating a Nine Wrought Soul

A Nine Wrought Soul is identical to the Standard Lich, with the following exceptions:

Ability Score Adjustment: Increase from the base creature as follows: +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity. Nine Wrought Souls, being undead, have no Constitution score. However, any HP gained from a high Con score are not lost, see Nine Wrought Toughness.

Nine Wrought Toughness (Ex): A Nine Wrought Soul gains the Nine Wrought Toughness ability, allowing them to use their Charisma in place of their Constitution for HP.
    If his unmodified Constitution score, prior to becoming a Nine Wrought Soul, was higher than his current Charisma score, he continues to gain extra HP, as though he still had his constitution score. If his Charisma Score ever becomes higher than his prior unmodified Constituition score, recalculate HP accordingly.

Phylactery Equivelent

Nine Wrought Souls don't have phylacteries, instead they scribe the knowledge of all maneouvers they know onto their own flesh AND into the walls, celing, floor, etc, of a sanctum. This requires the Scribe Martial Script feat*, and some sort of method of making permenant marks.

Marking yourself in such a way costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP, or the actual cost if you were making Martial scripts of every maneouver you know, whichever is greater. Creating a Sanctum incurs no additional cost.

1d4 hours after the Nine Wrought Soul is slain, it reappears in its sanctum (The Nine Wrought Soul predetermines where in its sanctum). 1d10 days later, it comes back to life.

To permanently destroy a Nine Wrought Soul, you must slay it and destroy its catatonic form, before it comes back to life.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

well I have a race of demon vampires focusing on martial conquest but they use spheres of might from dropdead studios but if you want I can cook variant subspecies that uses sublime way as main sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

25. - Top - End - #115

Griffon

Okay. I've got an idea brewing. Give me some time and I'll make something out of it. The basic idea is battlefield fey with initiator abilities.

26. - Top - End - #116

Should we make some more monsters in general too? Because Battlefield fey could also be interesting at mid-levels. ANd I'd like to see a few things like martial devils, martial demons, maybe a martial dragon or martial giant?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-03-18 at 07:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

28. - Top - End - #118

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Should we make some more monsters in general too? Because Battlefield fey could also be interesting at mid-levels. ANd I'd like to see a few things like martial devils, martial demons, maybe a martial dragon or martial giant?
    Agreed. My idea is probably too powerful for a LA 0 race anyway. But I'll still work on it.
    Can't open the link, but I'm guessing this is my pride and joy? Maybe we should make a usually evil equivalent though? Ivory Dragon?

I've also been considering making the monster White Raven was based on. And maybe a martial undead template.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Possibly. Enyo dragon from Zaydos' old dragon thread?

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

30. - Top - End - #120

Making an actual White Raven is giving me a new idea for a mystical initiator. Or maybe a Spirit Shaman/Swordsage cross class, which goes to find animal spirits which embody the soul of a discipline. Because Questing for the White Raven as your spirit guide just sounds like fun.