New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

Since maneuver save DCs will be made scaling, I'm thinking whether to have them be based off discipline or based off class.

Path of War went the second route. It's simpler. But there is merit to the other way. It allows stronger thematics and more variance. For example: Lightning Fox (the speed discipline) maneuvers could have Dex-based DCs; there wouldn't be a risk of inappropriate-seeming DCs; it makes it less boring than "pump your one save stat". And it's more in line with what TOB does.

In some cases you would have two eligible scores so it's not a turnoff.

Just something to consider.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Editing pass 1 on the sublime swashbuckler...

Full class table (image)

Spoiler: Class Features by Level
    Show
    1 - Personal style, weapon finesse
    2 - Signature move
    3 - Grace +1
    4 - Dodge bonus +1
    5 - Swaggering strike
    6 - Signature strike II
    7 - Acrobatic charge
    8 - Quick recovery
    9 - Dodge bonus +2
    10 - Signature combo
    11 - Grace +2
    12 - Panache, signature strike III
    13 - Acrobatic skill mastery
    14 - Dodge bonus +3
    15 -
    16 - ? (evasion?)
    17 -
    18 - Signature strike IV
    19 - Dodge bonus +4, grace +3
    20 - Dual strike

Spoiler: Class Feature Descriptions
    Show

Increase Reflex save to good. Add Sleight of Hand and Spot to class skill list.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Swashbucklers are proficient with simple and martial weapons, light armor, and bucklers, as well as with pistols, muskets, and revolvers.

Maneuvers: A swashbuckler has automatic access to the Black Rain and Oncoming Storm disciplines, plus two more disciplines as a result of his personal style (see below).

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered swashbuckler level thereafter, a swashbuckler can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one he already knows, just as other martial adepts can.

Maneuvers Readied: A swashbuckler readies his maneuvers by exhibiting fancy bladework, taunting his opponents, and generally showing off and “psyching himself up” for at least 5 minutes.

A swashbuckler can recover his expended maneuvers (except signature moves; see below) by taking the total defense action, during which he effortlessly parries his opponents’ attacks and bemoans their lack of skill.

Every time a swashbuckler successfully feints against, trips, or disarms an opponent, he regains a single signature move of his choice (see below).

Personal Style (Ex): Swashbucklers are deft bravados who pride themselves on their unique personal fighting styles. You may choose two identities from the list below, which each grant an additional discipline and an associated benefit:

Avenger: Striking from the shadows and getting the drop on opponents, this type of swashbuckler metes out swift justice and makes bloody ends of vendettas. The swashbuckler gains access to the Shadow Hand discipline, adds Hide to his list of class skills, and gains one free manipulation skill trick for which he qualifies at 3rd, 9th, and 18th level.
    Crowd-Pleaser: This type of swashbuckler is expert at turning his enemies’ strength on its head; his whirling redirections and tendency to humiliate much larger opponents make him a favorite of crowds and a nag to foes. The swashbuckler gains access to the Setting Sun discipline and may add his Charisma modifier to grapple checks, to a maximum of +1 per swashbuckler level.
    Duelist: This type of swashbuckler is a master fencer. He executes every parry, lunge, and strike with immaculate precision, and derides any who cannot do the same. The swashbuckler gains access to the Iron Heart discipline and gains the benefit of Weapon Focus with one Iron Heart weapon.
    Hero: An inspiration to allies, this type of swashbuckler dominates the battlefield with his sheer presence and always seems to have the perfect plan. The swashbuckler gains access to the White Raven discipline and gains one free interaction skill trick for which he qualifies at 3rd, 9th, 15th and 18th level.
    Improviser: Borne into the breast of every situation with only the grease on his heels, this swashbuckler delights in pulling off clever victories with what’s at hand. The swashbuckler gains access to the Fool’s Grip discipline, a +2 bonus to hit with improvised weapons, and a +1 bonus on all untrained skill checks.
    Show-Off: Falling from heights, swinging on chandeliers, and leaping over opponents, this stunting swashbuckler enjoys acrobatic attacks with rapier and dagger. The swashbuckler gains access to the Tiger Claw discipline and gains one free movement skill trick for which he qualifies at 3rd, 9th, 15th and 18th level.

Weapon Finesse (Ex): A swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Signature Move (Ex): At 2nd level, a swashbuckler develops his own idiosyncratic style and begins to favor particular strikes over others. Choose a single swashbuckler strike you know with an initiation time of one standard action. You may ready two instances of that maneuver. At 6th, 12th, and 18th level, you gain an additional signature strike.

A second instance of a maneuver readied this way is designated with an obelus and called a signature move. That instance of the maneuver can only be refreshed in one way: when you successfully feint against, trip, or disarm an opponent, you regain a single expended signature move of your choice. Refreshing or readying your maneuvers normally, or using a feat such as Sudden Recovery, is not sufficient to recover an expended signature move. A swashbuckler's technique requires a certain flashiness, which the overuse of their signature moves would defeat.

You can’t pick a 9th level maneuver as a signature strike, nor a maneuver accessed through a feat or item. Your choice of signature strike is permanent; if you cease to know the maneuver you don’t get to reassign it, although if you come back into knowing the maneuver it’s still a signature strike of yours, so long as you still possess the swashbuckler level that let you designate it as such.

Grace (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 3rd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 19th level. A swashbuckler gains this bonus only when unarmored or in light armor with no Armor Check Penalty and carrying no more than a light load.

Dodge Bonus (Ex): At 4th level a swashbuckler receives a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class. This bonus increases by 1 at 10th and 15th level. A swashbuckler gains this bonus only when unarmored or in light armor with no Armor Check Penalty and carrying no more than a light load.

Swaggering Strike (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a swashbuckler may add his Charisma bonus, if any, to all attacks he makes as part of maneuvers, to a maximum of +1 per two swashbuckler levels. To gain this bonus he must be unarmored or wearing light armor with no Armor Check Penalty and be carrying no more than a light load, since his dramatic movements can’t be impinged.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): As default swashbuckler.

Quick Recovery (Ex): Starting at 8th level, you may regain an expended signature move as a swift action once per round when you successfully attack a flanked or flat-footed opponent.

Signature Combo: At 10th level, you may initiate one of your signature strikes as a single attack made as part of a full attack action, instead of as a standard action. At 14th level you may initiate a signature strike in place of a single attack of opportunity. However, you may not initiate a signature strike as part of another maneuver.

Panache: A 12th level swashbuckler is an expert when it comes to outwitting his opponents. He may substitute his Charisma modifier for another discipline's key ability modifier when determining the save DC of a maneuver.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery (Ex): At 13th level, a swashbuckler has become a master of flashy acrobatics. He may take 10 on Jump, Balance, and Tumble checks even under stress.

Evasion (Ex)?

Dual Strike: A 20th level swashbuckler has mastered his signature style such that he can strike twice in the time it would take another warrior to strike once. He may initiate one of his readied signature moves at the beginning of his turn as a free action.

- Is the signature move ability good enough? Should you be able to ready a signature strike as many times as you want instead of just twice? Should signature strikes be capped at 7th instead of 8th level maneuvers?

- Swaggering strike -- should it max out at 1 per swashbuckler level instead of 1 per 2 swashbuckler levels?

- What should the 16th level ability be?
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-11-16 at 12:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Since maneuver save DCs will be made scaling, I'm thinking whether to have them be based off discipline or based off class.

Path of War went the second route. It's simpler. But there is merit to the other way. It allows stronger thematics and more variance. For example: Lightning Fox (the speed discipline) maneuvers could have Dex-based DCs; there wouldn't be a risk of inappropriate-seeming DCs; it makes it less boring than "pump your one save stat". And it's more in line with what TOB does.

In some cases you would have two eligible scores so it's not a turnoff.

Just something to consider.
    By discipline (or even by specific maneuver) sounds better to me.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, that's what I decided on. Specific maneuvers can always have nonstandard DCs.

No content update because what I've been doing is the editing and compiling for the "beta" release on the 6th (which will just be through Google Docs). Since the 3.5 forums get more traffic than Homebrew, hopefully that will bring more feedback than threads in this subforum get.

DracoDei, any chance of doing that Frying Pan legacy weapon so I can include it? It doesn't have to be super complicated -- the backstory, three rituals, then a few funny abilities.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Christ it is dull QAing and editing all this stuff.

(Blogpost) Mechanically, it's made me reflect -- a lot of attempts to empower martials in 3e involve handing out blanket immunities. But those get really repetitive and uninteresting, plus they cut out parts of the game, which isn't fun, nor is combat fun when it's just a contest of saying "no" to each other. So while QAing this I'm trying to think of more interesting ways for people to negate each other. For example, the adept hunter PRC had an anti-Stone Dragon ability that made your DR unpierceable; I replaced it with an aura that threatens to levitate enemies who approach you (because of the Stone Dragon requirement to be on the ground).

Thread visitors: The Task Board post on page 1 is still being updated. Remaining things that you're welcome to jump in on include a dozen remaining legacy weapons (legacy weapon format), three prospective PRCs, and the creation of a shield-based tanking discipline modeled on Path of War's Iron Tortoise. Ideas for the new base classes linked in that post are great as well.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-11-21 at 12:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Not bad! I like the original ideas you used here.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

Ah, a massive expansion to my favourite book!
    Great to see it alive.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

DracoDei, any chance of doing that Frying Pan legacy weapon so I can include it? It doesn't have to be super complicated -- the backstory, three rituals, then a few funny abilities.
    Unfortunately the rituals are the part I would have the hardest problem with, and the backstory... I'd have to balance ease of coming up with something with not copying the original story it from TOO closely (Copyright and all that...).

Honestly, I'll likely continue to be as flakey about working/posting as I have been. I might improve from that to "erratic" though.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, well, if you have ideas for individual abilities post them. May have to add the discipline weapons to the playtest thread in a later "batch" anyway -- the 6th is in a week & I want to have the disciplines, classes and prestige classes all ready.

Most of the work involved is just busywork (revision/editing/formatting). The biggest content gap is the poet class. Animist, machinist and warlord will all be ok with some tweaks, but I never finished the poet (link on first page) because it didn't come out well. The class needs to:

- focus on support/buffing
    - succeed at being a martial adept while having 1/2 BAB
    - have a colorful "imagination" theme
    - be bardlike but be themed on language not music

Any fresh mechanical ideas for it?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, well, if you have ideas for individual abilities post them. May have to add the discipline weapons to the playtest thread in a later "batch" anyway -- the 6th is in a week & I want to have the disciplines, classes and prestige classes all ready.

Most of the work involved is just busywork (revision/editing/formatting). The biggest content gap is the poet class. Animist, machinist and warlord will all be ok with some tweaks, but I never finished the poet (link on first page) because it didn't come out well. The class needs to:

- focus on support/buffing
    - succeed at being a martial adept while having 1/2 BAB
    - have a colorful "imagination" theme
    - be bardlike but be themed on language not music

Any fresh mechanical ideas for it?
    Note that I haven't looked at the Poet in years, if ever. I do have two ideas, one blindingly obvious once one hears it (and which you may have already thought of), and the other is... a bit of a "waterfall you will need to sort through to find the cup-full that BEST matches what you need"... and I think I will mention something that lies at the intersection area of the two (like on a Viene diagram) :
    1.) Poor BAB indicates that they should be doing stuff that requires saves without needing a to-hit, touch attacks flat-footed attacks(maybe?), utilities (movement/mobility, senses), healing, buffing (as you said), counters, and anything else that doesn't require a normal to-hit roll.
    2.) Look up the Grace-Gift* and/or Phileotheysia in my extended signature for ideas on a 1/2 BAB at-will buffer. You could turn Defensive Strike into a stance or three, and make the swift action abilities into maneuvers, but probably dropping the penalties they inflict on the user in exchange for the loss of mobility created by making them standard action, as well as requiring a refresh mechanic, rather than being TRULY at-will. Do note that those classes aren't so much "walls of text" as "massive citadels of verbage". Although you can probably pare away most of what Defensive Strike does by eliminating all the manifestations/upgrades/feats that can be duplicated with a decent weapon, rather than the "even with a kitchen knife I shall not fail to defend those I cherish" vibe I was going for. Or keep them swift action and/or keep the costs? Certainly Carry the Burden (increase your own load by the weight of an ally including how much they are carrying to grant them gravity-defying effects up to and including Fly) could work as a stance, boost, or miscellaneous maneuver (like with the Earthquake maneuvers: hard to categorize).
    * Don't forget to look at the feats I created, both specific to the class, and the "blocker/improved blocker" chain. I only used feats as the mechanic because I didn't realize how many of them, especial past the first few categories, would end up being unique to the class. In retrospect it would probably have been clearer to model them after the rogues special abilities, and include the list of pre-existing feats that each Roman-numeral rank gives you access to as part of that listing.
    Intersection.) One thing that I did was that while they ARE a 1/2 BAB class according to their chart, this is somewhat misleading. A common mechanic is that their BAB increases to Full when doing certain things that are "defend others" in nature. The poster-child for this is of course, the iconic ability Defensive Strike which makes the bog-standard AoOs (and actually a SUBSET of them) into a serious deterrent. Another is Weapon Denying Technique (Phileotheysia only I think?) which lets you do sunders/disarms (including variations that debuff natural weapons) with extra bonuses against weapons you have seen harm your allies.

I might be able to make more specific suggestions some other day.

EDIT: Okay, I took a glance at the Poet. No ideas on what you asked about yet (didn't get all the way through, let alone look at the associated disciplines). Do you pick how many maneuvers you are granted, or roll 1d3-1 (and increasing sides to the die at higher levels)? Do you get to pick which maneuvers you are granted, or is that randomly determined? Strike While the Iron is Hot would seem sorta a gimme for strikes and boosts if you get to pick which ones.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-11-30 at 12:26 PM.
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: VERY rough draft of Frying Pan of Doom, may further, also posted in the Falling Anvil thread.
    Show
    The Frying Pan of Doom
    [Description]

Omen: This frying pan sears the hand of anyone not selected to wield it (1 point of fire damage per round if held without an oven mitt, or more if it currently has an true wielder). These burns smell faintly of freshly scrambled eggs (plain) until they heal. Upon grasping it a worthy wielder also smells eggs cooked in their favorite style (including spices, toppings, things mixed into an omelet, etc), but this odor is not detectable to those around them.

History
    (Just copy this over from the source story? Refer readers to that story?)

(DC 15)

(DC 20; A)

(DC 25; B)

(DC 31; C)

Legacy Rituals

The following three rituals are required to unlock all the abilities of X.

A: Cost: 1500gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy ( ). ((Cooking Contest?))

B: Cost: 13,000gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy ( ). ((Trial by Heckler?))

C: Cost: 39,000gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy ( ).

Wielder RequirementsCraft (Cooking) 1, Chaotic Good or Neutral Good alignment
    Non-legacy Game statistics: +1 Frying-pan (burns hands of unworthy... with strength perhaps depending on the "activated" level of the current true wielder (so just an oven mitt being sufficient might only be for "level 0 AKA unclaimed")
    Level Abilities
    5 ?In His/Her Majesties Service? ?Ovid Transformation 1/week, NOT expended on a miss or successful fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 IL + Cha. Mod), but can only be attempted 1/minute (1/round???). Turns target into an egg, 1 round, hardness 10, hp as per original for target (this plus AC should make it a poor choice for a "hit vulnerable ally" at higher levels, but I should probably still allow the using of lower level effects)? (probably do both of these, but not necessarily at this level)? Does not cause penalties as if it was an improvised weapon (still counts as such for any BENEFICIAL purposes).
    6 ?Throwing?, ?Counts as Silver for DR etc, but NO damage penalty?
    7 ?Ovid Transformation (1d4 rounds, hardness 5)?, ?+2 Enhancement Bonus?
    8 ?Distance?
    9 ?Returning?(Loses all ranged enchantments until the start of your next turn when this is used?)
    10 ?Ovid Transformation (2d4 rounds)?
    11 ?Ovid Transformation (2/day)?
    12 ?Ovid Transformation (Can be ATTEMPTED 1/round)?, ?+3 Enhancement Bonus?
    13 ?Seeking?
    14 ?Merciful? ((Probably better to have this earlier?))
    15 ?+4 Enhancement Bonus?
    16 ?Ovid Transformation (3/day)?
    17 ?Ovid Transformation (4/day)?
    18 ?Ovid Transformation (1/attempt per HIT)?
    19 ?Ovid Transformation (6/day)?
    20 ?+5 Enhancement Bonus?, Ovid Transformation (Basic Transformation At-Will, 2/day at time of hit can choose to have egg hatch into a chick 1d4 rounds later. If it hatches this counts as a True Reincarnation effect that into a chick, that ignores willingness, SR, PR, and allows no save. If the egg is destroyed then this timer is PAUSED, resuming when and if the target is returned to life.)

In His/Her Majesties Service: You may select a number of individuals who you have sworn service and at least some level of obedience to equal to your charisma modifier (Min. 1). Adding one can be done as a swift action provided they already meet the oath requirement. Removing one requires 1 minute of mediation. When making an attack with this weapon against a creature you believe is a clear and immediate (approximately: within the same combat, or 1 minute if outside initiative) danger to that individual you may substitute your charisma for your strength and/or dexterity for the purposes of to-hit and damage. If you strike a target that is not actually hostile to the specific person(s) you were trying to protect they have no chance to turn into an egg or suffer any addition negative effects other than the bludgeoning damage (which becomes subdual damage), and, in addition, you turn into an egg (Hardness 0, all damage doubled) for 1 minute or until at least one person you were specifically trying to protect at the time sincerely apologizes to your victim on your behalf (or at GMs discretion on behalf of whoever misinformed you... or at least honestly and sincerely places blame on such an individual (even nebulously if they don't know who it was) if they don not know who misinformed you, but honestly believe you MUST have been misinformed) in a way they can understand (note that this requires they be conscious!)).

Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-12-01 at 07:21 PM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for delivering. I'll add that in. Confirming that when I post the playtest thread it will only have discs, base classes, prcs to start with so you have time to finish if you want.

For the poet class, one thing that certainly makes sense is to have buffs proc off maneuvers, instead of having a separate bardic music-like action. The current "musal invocation" ability is an attempt to try and do it modularly -- you activate the ability, and then for a few rounds you get to choose a buff from a class list each time you hit with a strike (or something like that, I forget). But it might be simpler to either have it be something you don't have to activate, or to just bake the buffs into the maneuvers.

------------------

Thread link: sublime warrior PRC

There's a class that I revised that I'd like feedback on because it does a 1.5 IL progression which might turn out weird. It's short.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-12-03 at 03:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Delaying til tomorrow, day after tomorrow at the latest. It's been 10 yrs, won't make a difference.

Edit: Just to explain, some of these things I have to basically rewrite which is the cause of delay.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-12-09 at 07:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Have to reformat about 1000 maneuvers. It's easy just tedious. If anyone can help and do a few, please PM me. Thanks.

Edit: Reformatting is done.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-12-16 at 07:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

For the poet class, one thing that certainly makes sense is to have buffs proc off maneuvers, instead of having a separate bardic music-like action. The current "musal invocation" ability is an attempt to try and do it modularly -- you activate the ability, and then for a few rounds you get to choose a buff from a class list each time you hit with a strike (or something like that, I forget). But it might be simpler to either have it be something you don't have to activate, or to just bake the buffs into the maneuvers.
    I think that having a separate ability that procs off of manoeuvres is the better option, just to leave the window open for people who might want to remix a bit and swap some disciplines, for whatever reason.

Then again, "game balance" newer was my cup of tea...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Damage to the Human Body is just the violent randomization of material within a given area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Now, while you may not like the way ToB resolves mundane melee's crippling overspecialization problem, it is the ONLY official material that solves it. Banning it is like not going to the only hospital in town when your leg is broken because you don't like the wallpaper.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

True. The other thing I considered is getting 1dx inspiration points or whatever each round that function more or less as round-by-round augment points, but to make RNG gameplay like that work takes more time/effort than I have for this.

New ETA for playtest release is Christmas. It effectively has to be by then with the way my life is, if it's going to be posted at all. Cut content due to time/effort:

- Antimagic discipline (Crescent Moon or similar name)
    - Shield discipline (POW already has one, so I think it's ok)
    - Poison discipline
    - Flying tactics discipline

- Several PRCs that I don't have time to rejigger.

For example, here's a PRC, whirlwind heir, that will only be included if someone wants to spruce it up and give its abilities a unified theme. Given its name, maybe it would be fitting to incorporate some elements of this tempest PRC rework?
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-12-23 at 12:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Amusing and cool to see my efforts mentioned elsewhere (the tempest rework).

In any case, this is an interesting project.

I myself have an unfinished new discipline called Eagle Talon.
    It is a ranged discipline discipline based on illusion and stealth. (I've always found it super weird that there were no ranged disciplines, and this was my attempt to fix this oversight for my game.)
    Design-wise the intent is to offer 2 distinct fighting styles (like Tiger Claw does - based on jump or on TWF):
    1. Short-range that focuses on crippling your opponents and preventing them from closing in, with many maneuvers that work only within precision range and impede movement or prevent attacks(shooting arrows and fireballs out of the air, pinning opponents to the ground, etc). [N.B. "Precision range" is a term I invented which in general is equal to point-blank range, but is there to allow additional rules interactions, such as far-shot increasing precision range, etc. It is supposed to represent the range at which precision damage can be applied - such as sneak attack, skirmish, and various maneuvers from this discipline.]
    2. Long-range mode that focuses on sniping and misdirection/illusion to make sure your opponents don't even know where the hell they're being shot from. These types should use Spot heavily.
    3. A secondary capability could be taking down flying casters. [Heheh]
    Spoiler: Description
    Show
    The Eagle Talon discipline focuses on striking from a distance, and disorienting and crippling foes. Its teachings allow a martial adept to perform legendary feats of precision and misdirection, promising its wielder the ability to defeat one's foes without them ever being able to lay a finger on the practitioner.
    Eagle Talon's preferred weapons are the Longbow, Shortbow, Greatbow and their composite variants.
    The discipline's key skill is Spot.

I have penned a bunch of maneuvers from the discipline (maybe like 2/3 to 3/4 of them - 21 in total), but they require most of their fluff and another design pass at least. Also lacks most of the high-level stuff and a good chunk of the illusion-focused stuff.

If you or someone is willing to sit down with me in a sort of design-meeting we could finish it - I myself am somewhat out of cool, original, flavourful ideas. Either way, what it's missing is the high-level archery stances, including any amount of illusion-based stances and any cool illusion based maneuvers you can think of.
    Last edited by martixy; 2019-12-23 at 02:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

The fluff on Whirlwind Heir is that it "imitates" Wind, and is said to originate with the son of a Wind-domain God. Extreme control is particular to the PRC's style, fluff-wise. Every feature does a different thing, so there isn't a mechanical identity beyond the fact that many of them impact Maneuvers and the staggering amount of Concentration checks involved. Rather than draw mechanics from the linked Tempest rework, which focuses around attack count, I'd focus on mobility and Attacks of Opportunity, as well as double-down on Maneuver-lite features as the nearest thing it has to a mechanical identity. In some particulars:

1. Make Zephyr Draw's free-action draw unconditional, including not necessitating the attack be part of a Maneuver, change bonus damage condition to moving more than 15 ft. before the attack. Add function of removing Dex to AC until the end of your next turn (on a save vs. Concentration check?) if used on a non-Maneuver attack.

2. Swap Iron Heart for Desert Wind, swap Unnerving Calm for Quick Draw, remove Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) from requirements.

3. Make Serene Reflexes scale off Stance level of Diamond Mind or Desert Wind instead of Concentration, possibly either but having a different bonus to Attacks of Opportunity made.

4. Redo Tempest Strike as allowing a single-attack Strike at the end of a Charge, offering DR-bypassing for non-Maneuver Charges. Possibly enable the standard-action partial charge.

5. Redo Insightful Riposte as using Attacks of Opportunity for Deflection bonus to AC instead of a Concentration check, with bonus scaling with attack roll modifier.

6. Replace current Calm After the Storm with the ability to make a 5 ft. step when attacked if at least two attacks, or one attack and moving more than 15 ft, were made on your preceding turn.

7. Replace current Eye of the Storm with the ability to make a 5 ft. step before each Attack of Opportunity or Counter, provided you move less than 15 ft. on your previous turn.

8. Replace current Wind's Edge with an explicit +10 ft. reach bonus, doubled for Zephyr Draw attacks. Non-Maneuver attacks additionally go against Touch AC.

9. Replace Stance of the Four Winds entirely with being able to trade Desert Wind Fire damage for Lightning, alongside Zephyr Draw going from weapon damage bonus to Lightning.

---

General thought is having the features gradually build non-Maneuver attacks into an about Maneuver-equivalent non-stacking-debuff attack, being able to constantly move to, between, around and away from enemies to keep hitting and avoiding getting hit, and Attack of Opportunity shenanigans.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. Revised in line with your suggests -- check the link again. Still no real theme but if there is one it would be a mix of more melee flexibility, and "scattering" your opponents like the winds.

----

What do people think of retroactively allowing all martial PRCs to stack with base classes for the purpose of swapping out old maneuvers for new ones?

----

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    I myself have an unfinished new discipline called Eagle Talon.
    It is a ranged discipline discipline based on illusion and stealth. (I've always found it super weird that there were no ranged disciplines, and this was my attempt to fix this oversight for my game.)

I have penned a bunch of maneuvers from the discipline (maybe like 2/3 to 3/4 of them - 21 in total), but they require most of their fluff and another design pass at least. Also lacks most of the high-level stuff and a good chunk of the illusion-focused stuff.
    Why don't you post the ones you have, and for the purpose of this project they can be folded into the 2 archery mega-disciplines we're doing, which is one for the supernatural stuff and one for the nonmagical stuff.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Finally finished commenting on Sublime Form Master. I don't know if you posted it publicly already, but if so you can feel free to ignore this until the next revision.

Also, my mailbox is probably still full, and I am too tired to figure out what to delete.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2020-01-05 at 06:44 PM.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Replied - either dual stance at 2nd so you start out with a full encounter's worth of it, or 3rds/level/day.

I'll send you the Falling Anvil doc.

Warlord slightly better thanks to forum input...machinist is g2g but boring and doesn't feel magitech so I'm also going to post it.

22. - Top - End - #262

I'm impressed, very impressed by the sheer scope of this Homebrew Project, and the amount of love and effort that seems to be going into it. Taking over 200+ Homebrew Disciplines, as well as who knows how many different classes and prestige classes, and condensing them down into a smaller, more internally balanced, and jointly flavoured homebrew splatbook is a massive undertaking. Though I think it might need to take more than 1 'splatbook' to cover all of the potential material at the end of the day!

Especially as... well. I would be remiss not to kindly point you towards a collection of Homebrew that includes my favourite Martial Disciplines to this date, as well as a collection of Martial Adept classes. Among other things. They aren't part of the Homebrew Discipline compendium, but a lot of them are very favourable and have very fun, unique mechanics to them as well. I would be estastic in seeing them getting more love and attention.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey Elves.

Just checking to see how you're doing ... and how your very cool ToB project is doing.

A while back, my group and I talked about integrating this PDF project into our campaign. Cheers!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Wizard View Post
    Hey Elves.

Just checking to see how you're doing ... and how your very cool ToB project is doing.

A while back, my group and I talked about integrating this PDF project into our campaign. Cheers!
    I dont know the timing but you just necro the threat. and thats bad
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Wizard View Post
    Hey Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    I haven't been visiting this forum since the shutdown.

I'm going to be going back to this project in about a week or two after I finish other stuff.

The reason for the delay is that when I made this thread, I was thinking that most of the content was already in a polished and finalized state, and that editing and formatting would be the main hurdle. In reality, I've had to go through and manually review, revise and finalize all the content myself, which is over 1000 maneuvers, 20 PRCs, etc.

I did a bunch of that in Jan-Feb but got bored and had to take a break. All that stuff is now about 2/3rds done, realistically.

I wasn't updating in this thread because I wanted to not post until it was finished, but just in case anyone visits, I'll make a list of things people can do to help and will post some of the stuff that has been done in separate threads for PEACH.

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Yeah, mods please don't lock this. I am OP and I'm bumping now so I think that's within the rules.
    Last edited by Elves; 2020-04-19 at 08:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

smile Re: The Age of Warriors (Project Revived!)

I understand getting tired and needing a break, but I look forward to seeing it!
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

The first round of content I'll be posting, 1 per day, is our theurge PRCs for Tome of Battle and the different subsystems.

We have ones for invoking, binding, truenaming, psionics, incarnum and a new arcane alternative to JPM.

I realized we don't have one for shadowcasting. One cool thing you (anyone) can do if you want to contribute to the project is to make a shadow themed PRC that mixes shadowcasting with Shadow Hand maneuvers.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fluff Central

We're emerging from the dark age that followed the fall of Reshar’s temple. So:

What has happened to cause this? What sparked this renaissance of martial learning? Let’s think of a clear trigger event. It could be a world war, an invention, a refounding of the temple, a cataclysm, etcetera.
    What about a more sinister reason. Abberant beings from beyond the stars used psychic energy to manipulate these events into happening so they can build an army with superior fighting skills. Legends say the best combatant will ascend. In reality, they are using the genetics and learning to build an army of evil clones. They will then be used to conquer the universe, starting with this world. The normal people just know of legends saying the best at combat will ascend to higher greatness.

This reason can also have a cover-up reason that others believe, but that isn't fully true.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fluff Central

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    What about a more sinister reason. Abberant beings from beyond the stars used psychic energy to manipulate these events into happening so they can build an army with superior fighting skills. Legends say the best combatant will ascend. In reality, they are using the genetics and learning to build an army of evil clones. They will then be used to conquer the universe, starting with this world. The normal people just know of legends saying the best at combat will ascend to higher greatness.

This reason can also have a cover-up reason that others believe, but that isn't fully true.
    I should update that post, I think ultimately we decided on not having one specific trigger event. Instead the concept is that while the Temple of Nine Swords was a great codifying and centralizing influence, that also meant that practitioners became centralized around the 9 disciplines it favored. In its absence the other disciplines have been able to gain a more even share of traction.

Some of that star part could be put into the fluff section for the Far Realm discipline.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

I realized we don't have one for shadowcasting. One cool thing you (anyone) can do if you want to contribute to the project is to make a shadow themed PRC that mixes shadowcasting with Shadow Hand maneuvers.
    The new updates look terrific, Elves! I'm excited to see your interest rekindled in this project!

Also, check out this PrC by Djinn_in_Tonic from 2009. It's a shadowcasting & Shadow Hand maneuver-based PrC. It might be useful to you ...

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...cion-PrC-PEACH