The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 705
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I finally got around to picking up an Xbox One controller for my PC, so I've been playing some Devil May Cry 4 to test it out because I know how Nero controls (terribly in my hands, but that's due to other reasons). It works fine, and feels much nicer to play than it did on console.
    The XBox 1 controller is great. I already really liked the 360 controller, and the One fixes the only flaw with that; the terrible D pad.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Playing through Descent for the first time in almost 15 years. Still an amazingly designed game for something that ran on MS-DOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The XBox 1 controller is great. I already really liked the 360 controller, and the One fixes the only flaw with that; the terrible D pad.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how they thought the 360 d-pad was a good idea. I was so good when I got the One controller and found that the d-pad not only had less travel but was, as far as I can tell, properly microswitched. It makes it much nicer, and I can finally jump over missiles I'm Studiopolis 1 when playing Sonic Mania (but that I'm able to beat that boss yet).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I just finished beating Devil May Cry 5 on Dante Must Die difficulty. Almost managed to keep my gold orb use confined to V (who I don't especially like and don't mind not getting good enough to beat everything legit with), but I did use one each on Dante's mission 12 (first Dante vs Urizen fight you're supposed to win) and mission 16 (vs King Cerberus), because I was playing late at night and just got so close and wanted to close it out at a reasonable hour. Might go back and re-do those missions to win more legitimately. But
    Spoiler: Endgame DMC5 spoiler
    Show
    I did manage to beat Vergil without one, which was so satisfying. His fight isn't too fundamentally different from the next difficulty down, but the big damage increase in DMD mode means you really need to make sure you make next to no mistakes fighting him. And he sometimes stays in Devil Trigger mode for an amazingly long time, not triggering the big flying move that normally leads to him leaving it, so you really need to get used to finding your few stray moments to hit him with a stinger or the like while he's in that.

    Nero's version of the fight is still noticeably easier, but damn near as satisfying despite that. And I actually got to see something I hadn't on previous runs: a buster move done in Devil Trigger where he grabs both Vergil and his doppleganger and slams their heads into each other. That was even the final blow I did to finish him off, so yeah - awesome and satisfying.


    Just going to do some Bloody Palace runs, and I think I'll finally be happily done with DMC5 (because Heaven & Hell and Hell & Hell difficulties don't sound like fun). What a great game.

    Also playing Smash Ultimate again since Joker release. He's great, just a ton of fun to play, and they really captured Persona 5's style with both his moveset and just little things like his win screens. I do find myself getting more annoyed by the online at times though. Nintendo really needs to add the ability to see some basic information on opponents and accept or reject a match, rather than just throwing you into a fight with the first person it finds every time. It sucks to get laggy connections or rulesets you don't want to play with and not be able to do anything about it besides suicide and take the loss. Would also be nice if they changed how the ranking system is calculated, still feels dumb that a loss can lose you far more rank than a win gains you, to the point where you need something like a 66%+ win rate to actually gain rank even slowly. And that might help with the problem of how most people don't do rematches against anyone who beats them, even if the match was close.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-04-21 at 04:27 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Dragon Age Origins, again. Sometimes it is very, very silly.

    I go through the whole castle Redcliffe bit up to the point of setting off to see the mage's guild, and there's a battle with random wolves that ought to be no problem they were no problem in the Kokari Wilds, and there are about 6. Kill four or so of them, and now there are ten, and they are all unhurt despite being in a fight for fve or so minutes, so that's that, back to Redcliffe, but not back to where I was, oh no, back to an hour before that, with all of the castle to do again. Very very silly.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Haruspex_Pariah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Picked up Forager, a game I just heard of only a few days before it was released thanks to YouTube.

    Itís a crafting exploration game with no fixed goals so iíve been bingeing it hard. I mean the unstated goal is to unlock all the islands and discover all the things but you can approach that in many ways and at many different speeds.

    Iíll have to hit the endgame to really evaluate it though, but I like it so far.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika.

    Casual Magic Arena and Raid Shadow Legends player. But I'll talk about anything really.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I've been enjoying Kingdom Come: Deliverance. While I still think it's earned a place in my Top-10-Games-of-all-Time list, I do have some minor and some not-so-minor niggles with the game.

    The minor niggles mostly have to do with the character system, and how there just aren't enough perks to really distinguish one playthrough from another. In each skill area, you can earn all but one perk. That means that you're not so much building around a specialization as picking which one perk out of a list you don't want to get. Pair that with the fact that every character is eventually going to hit the cap in every stat across the board, and each version of Henry seems to become a bit samey. Personally, I'd want to have more perks to choose and to lift the level cap for attributes so I can specialize more.

    The not-so-minor niggle mostly has to do with one particular story beat. Minor spoilers be present.
    Spoiler
    Show
    During most of the game, you have an enormous amount of freedom in how you want to go about things, and in which order. You can be a silver-tongued minstrel with enough charm to talk the scales off a snake, a brutish warrior who solves his problems with intimidation and violence, a rogue who creeps around bandit camps with poisoned blade. If you want to blow off the main quest in favor of sidequests and exploration, that's your prerogative.

    Then you get sent to Sasau Monastary to track down and kill one of the bandits who raided a stud farm. In order to get in, you need to join the order and become a monk yourself. And the story comes to a screeching halt.

    See, the KCD deves were just as committed to a realistic portrayal of 15th century Bohemia in Sasau Monastary as they were in other areas of the game. That means that, as a monk, you're stripped of everything you have, and you're expected to keep to a monk's schedule:
    -Up at 4AM and head to the chapel for mass until 6AM
    -Breakfast in silence until 7AM
    -Work in the gardens and making potions until noon
    -Work in the library transcribing books until 4PM
    -Mass until 6PM
    -Dinner until 7PM
    -Freetime until 9PM Curfew

    Miss Mass? Don't do your work? Ignore your schedule in favor of doing the other three side quests in the area? The Circators, the enforcers of the Monastary, will track you down. That means that unless you're going to dodge the Circators at every opportunity or just ignore how the quest tells you to do things, you're going to spend about fifteen hours of each day just staring at the wait menu. Go to mess hall, and wait. Go to gardens, make one potion, wait. Go to library, pick three dialogue options, wait. And it's probably going to take you a few in-game days to nail which of the other four novices is your target, much less to carry out your hit.

    To make matters worse, this is a portion of the questline that basically requires you to play as a thief-ish character. Don't have 15 lockpicking? Sorry, you won't be able to pick the locks of the doors out of the monastary, so you'll need to pick the pocket of the Prior to get the key. What's that? Didn't put any practice into Pickpocketing either, because you're playing as a Henry that values chivalry? That's a right bummer, innit?

    I appreciate that the KCD devs give you multiple ways to identify the target, but it kills me that all of them amount to "play a thief in the nine hours a day you're not tied up in Monastary life." Sneak into the Prior's office to read his notes. Steal a forbidden book to influence an election. Steal the Prior's keys so you can sneak over to the custodian's house and steal some booze. Sneak into a cellar to spy on some senior monks. Break into every room in the monastary to put together a manuscript of Ovid. It's all thieving left and right, which is brilliant for a thief character but not so great for anybody else.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I'm really starting to get into Hollow Knight. I bought it a while ago, but it didn't really click immediately, so I recently gave it another shot. It's safe to say I'm hooked - I understand why it's frequently nicknamed Bug Souls, because it does many of the great things that Dark Souls does - and I always find it extra impressive when games do the whole 'sprawling environment with interconnected pathways , shortcuts and hidden secrets' in a 2D environment.

    It feels a bit more forgiving than Dark Souls, though - which I don't mind, as my gaming time is limited these days.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Just going to do some Bloody Palace runs, and I think I'll finally be happily done with DMC5 (because Heaven & Hell and Hell & Hell difficulties don't sound like fun). What a great game.
    Well. Holy cow. So, I finished my first Bloody Palace run - and cleared the whole dang thing on my first try (using Dante). Either DMC5's Bloody Palace is a lot easier than DMC4's, I'm a lot better at the game than I was at DMC4, or a combination of the two, because I'm pretty sure I never even made it halfway through DMC4's. And it was mostly not that hard, either, I didn't start having close calls until floor 90 (of 101), against King Cerberus, and the only other time I nearly lost was during the second of the three Urizen fights on floor 99. Granted, I'm coming just off beating the game on Dante Must Die, but still, I'm floored that I managed that at all, much less on the first try. Feels good.

    Guess I'll see how I can do with Nero tomorrow. I imagine he may be harder to do that with though, he doesn't have quite the variety of options that Dante's many weapons affords him for dealing with all of those hordes of enemies.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-04-22 at 11:13 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Haruspex_Pariah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Malaysia

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    So Iíve unlocked all the islands and am coming close to Foragerís level cap. The game has a lot of busy work, but also mechanics for mitigating them.

    Mining rods to automate resource gathering. Droids to auto-gather from livestock and fishing traps. Ballista to fend of the endlessly respawning enemies. It all depends on your play style. Iíve seen some streamers treat the click work as a relaxing activity in itself while others just want to do as little as possible. Iím somewhere in the middle, I have a couple of rods here and there but I also like to let some regions grow thick with resources before I run in and hack it all down.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika.

    Casual Magic Arena and Raid Shadow Legends player. But I'll talk about anything really.

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Eldan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I'm really starting to get into Hollow Knight. I bought it a while ago, but it didn't really click immediately, so I recently gave it another shot. It's safe to say I'm hooked - I understand why it's frequently nicknamed Bug Souls, because it does many of the great things that Dark Souls does - and I always find it extra impressive when games do the whole 'sprawling environment with interconnected pathways , shortcuts and hidden secrets' in a 2D environment.

    It feels a bit more forgiving than Dark Souls, though - which I don't mind, as my gaming time is limited these days.
    Oh just wait until you see some of the later bosses. Or those required for the better endings. Or the ****ING White Palace and Path of Pain.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wookieetank's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gridania, Eorzea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Finally made it to KH: Dream Drop Distance yesterday with the family. Been playing through most games in the series on normal, but we're all getting impatient to get to 3 so this one we dropped to easy. Definitely enjoying the upgrade to movement and combat speed, gives things a nice actiony feel. Not a huge fan of the pokemon side of things with this game, but watching the wife and daughter d'aww over all the critters is fun at least.

    Started P5 last week and liking it so far. Still working through the intro bits/first palace. Now I just have to finish before Persona Q 2 comes out.

    Also been chugging my way through EO:Untold Millennium Girl. Been working through story mode, and I'm not a huge fan of the premade party, but I just found out I could respec chars into different classes at the start of the 4th stratum, so I figure might as well just keep on keeping on at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Finally made it to KH: Dream Drop Distance yesterday with the family. Been playing through most games in the series on normal, but we're all getting impatient to get to 3 so this one we dropped to easy. Definitely enjoying the upgrade to movement and combat speed, gives things a nice actiony feel. Not a huge fan of the pokemon side of things with this game, but watching the wife and daughter d'aww over all the critters is fun at least.
    While I haven't played 3 yet, Dream Drop Distance is probably my favourite of the Kingdom Hearts games due to Flowmotion and the Command Deck making battle feel really nice. While I can see why some might not like how the Command Deck limits your options to the ones you brought into the battle, I found that in previous games I'd only use whatever spells I had set to fast access and avoid wading through menus, while with the Deck I found combat going a lot smoother because I could cycle to me next attack smoothly. It makes me want to try out Birth by Sleep just to play more using it. There needs to be more ironing out and balancing, but I found it to be significantly more enjoyable.

    I'll agree that the Dream Eaters aren't the most thought out, really I'd have saved the concept for a game focused around them (maybe a Kairi adventure?).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wookieetank's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gridania, Eorzea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    While I haven't played 3 yet, Dream Drop Distance is probably my favourite of the Kingdom Hearts games due to Flowmotion and the Command Deck making battle feel really nice. While I can see why some might not like how the Command Deck limits your options to the ones you brought into the battle, I found that in previous games I'd only use whatever spells I had set to fast access and avoid wading through menus, while with the Deck I found combat going a lot smoother because I could cycle to me next attack smoothly. It makes me want to try out Birth by Sleep just to play more using it. There needs to be more ironing out and balancing, but I found it to be significantly more enjoyable.

    I'll agree that the Dream Eaters aren't the most thought out, really I'd have saved the concept for a game focused around them (maybe a Kairi adventure?).
    I'ma a huge fan of the command deck setup, it also adds a nice bit of strategy to things as well. Having issues with swarms? Stack lightning attacks. Large singe enemies? stack fire/ice attacks. Etc.

    I really liked how in BBS you get to combine your various commands to create new/powered up commands. Was a bit easy to break the game when you can make things like Megaflare before you cleared the first set of worlds, but was a lot of fun to mess around with.

    I think my biggest issues with the Dream Eaters is that they are a blatant attempt to pull in Pokemon fans (particularly since the game was released on the 3DS originally), and an unneeded new type of enemy. We've got heartless, nobodies, dusks, and unversed at this point, adding in something completely new just seems messy.
    Particularly when they're following the same design plan as the previously seen enemy types: small guys, big round guys, flying magic guys, etc. The bosses could very easily pass as heartless as well. At least the unversed had their own visual scheme going on, these guys are just technicolored heartless. /rant

    Despite all that, I am enjoying the game and looking forward to playing through the rest of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I'ma a huge fan of the command deck setup, it also adds a nice bit of strategy to things as well. Having issues with swarms? Stack lightning attacks. Large singe enemies? stack fire/ice attacks. Etc.

    I really liked how in BBS you get to combine your various commands to create new/powered up commands. Was a bit easy to break the game when you can make things like Megaflare before you cleared the first set of worlds, but was a lot of fun to mess around with.
    Yeah, as I understand it's been getting better with every game it's been in, with the problem being how to grant commands without making it too hard or two easy to get the most powerful ones. Honestly I think that could be easily solved in a game like KH3, imagine that you began with the four basic spells and got commands as rewards for completing story content or engaging in side activities. Don't make connecting Commands too much of an effort

    I think my biggest issues with the Dream Eaters is that they are a blatant attempt to pull in Pokemon fans (particularly since the game was released on the 3DS originally), and an unneeded new type of enemy. We've got heartless, nobodies, dusks, and unversed at this point, adding in something completely new just seems messy.
    Particularly when they're following the same design plan as the previously seen enemy types: small guys, big round guys, flying magic guys, etc. The bosses could very easily pass as heartless as well. At least the unversed had their own visual scheme going on, these guys are just technicolored heartless. /rant

    Despite all that, I am enjoying the game and looking forward to playing through the rest of it.
    My problem with friendly dream eaters isn't their Pokťmon qualities (although that didn't endear them to me), more that they feel out of place with Dream Drop Distance. It's a story about Sora and Riku being asking alone, and I was disappointed that you were expected to cart a couple of moms around that don't add anything to the story and disappear as soon as cutscenes start.

    But expanding on the Technicolour Heartless thing, that's exactly what Dream Eaters should have been. We know that Kairi he's at least some ability to alter Heartless (KH1), and she's obviously less competent with her Keyblade than either Sora or Riku are, so a game where Kairi bonds with a couple of 'tame' heartless that the player has more command over then a standard KH party member could be interesting. But sadly we'll probably never get that, as it seems like Kairi doing anything is not something the series developers like anymore.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Okay... so...

    Note to self: don't turn on the Frostfell mod until AFTER you're freed in the Helgen intro quest. My poor Brenton passed out from the cold when the guard called her forward and I'm pretty sure every Nord in that scene laughed just before the game locked up. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Comments like this make me wish I could like posts.

    I have been lured in by the siren song of Dungeon's and Dragon's online. It's actually fairly fun even solo.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Artemis97's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lost in the Town
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I've been playing ISLANDERS as a fun little pick it up put it down game. It's so quaint, and the art style is lovely. Very relaxing. And I think it cost like 6 bucks CAD? I'd highly recommend it if you like puzzle games, or city builders, although it's not a classic city builder like Caesar III or anything approaching that complexity. You just get points for placing down buildings in good spots.


    I've also begun playing Heaven's Gate, which I saw a post for on Imgur a few times while it was in production. Well now it's out and I'm pretty hooked. So far it's a nice slow paced puzzle adventure game, where the key component is finding and deciphering ancient inscriptions. Makes me feel like an archaeologist.

    Lastly I'm on Part 11 of my (mostly) weekly playthrough of Dwarf Fortress. Really excited to see if the cistern I made will hold up when the river finally thaws in the summer. Can the fort get over its depression and continue to be productive in the meantime before another goblin raid comes?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.
    Avatar by HappyTurtle.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Comments like this make me wish I could like posts.

    I have been lured in by the siren song of Dungeon's and Dragon's online. It's actually fairly fun even solo.
    I can only play for so long solo before I get bored from the tedium. I would love to try and make a full team and push through DDO sometime.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    oxybe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    So the smash bros stage builder is quite possibly the best thing ever. the absolutely dumbest things ever are found there and i love it.

    i am testing a stage I found called TEQ SSJ4 Gogeta.

    it's such a specific reference I love that someone sat there and went: "today I am going to make a stage for smash that's the icon representing this one specific unit in my dragonball gachapon game"

    and they did it and posted it and I'm playing it just because I get the reference and Gogeta's hair is made of lava.

    It's dumb and I love it.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    So the smash bros stage builder is quite possibly the best thing ever. the absolutely dumbest things ever are found there and i love it.
    Yeah, I set up up a closed lava stage with portals so that you can smash someone into an infinite loop of damage and super-speed pinballing until they just auto-fall off, but then fall into the portal at the top from that respawn platform with the portal just teleporting them into more lava so that they being taking damage without me doing anything and start the whole cycle all over again so that the pinballing is fully automated after some start up, is the most beautiful and funny things ever, I'm sad that I can't share it because of the subscription thing.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 24!



  22. - Top - End - #202
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator
     
    Mark Hall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Mostly finished the weirdest game of GalCiv II last night.

    I, the Thalans, had a somewhat early war with the Drengin, where they eventually sued for peace (it was an inconclusive war; we were both too far from each other to do more than snipe around the borders) and then... nothing. Other people went to war with each other. I stole a few planets with influence. And I just kept getting to steal planets with influence. I have enough starbases that I can reach almost anywhere on the map, and I just flood out a bunch of Constructors, erect a powerful influence station next to a planet or three, and take planets away from people. And they keep giving me money. Like, they just say "Hi, we're the Terran Alliance, we love you so much, let us give you cash!"

    I STOLE EARTH FROM THE TERRAN ALLIANCE.

    Literally. Parked an influence station between Earth and Mars and the Terrans of Earth said "Hey, we like the Thalans better. Let's give ourselves over to the bugs."

    This is made easier by the fact that Thalans start with Space Construction, which lets you have Small sized frames... because you can use a Small sized frame to make a cheaper, tougher, Constructor, Freighter, Colony, and Transport. Sure, they're not fast, and they don't have much range, but you don't NEED speed and range for things like that, most of the time.

    I'm honestly at the point in the game where I'm just mopping up. I've got a few planets that turn out Battle Axes, so if someone gets shirty I can crush them in a few weeks. Someone sold me a Precursor Ranger for insane firepower. The entire universe will be bug, soon.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Savage Scrolls: A Savage Worlds/Elder Scrolls Conversion
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I've been enjoying Kingdom Come: Deliverance. While I still think it's earned a place in my Top-10-Games-of-all-Time list, I do have some minor and some not-so-minor niggles with the game.

    The minor niggles mostly have to do with the character system, and how there just aren't enough perks to really distinguish one playthrough from another. In each skill area, you can earn all but one perk. That means that you're not so much building around a specialization as picking which one perk out of a list you don't want to get. Pair that with the fact that every character is eventually going to hit the cap in every stat across the board, and each version of Henry seems to become a bit samey. Personally, I'd want to have more perks to choose and to lift the level cap for attributes so I can specialize more.

    The not-so-minor niggle mostly has to do with one particular story beat. Minor spoilers be present.
    Spoiler
    Show
    During most of the game, you have an enormous amount of freedom in how you want to go about things, and in which order. You can be a silver-tongued minstrel with enough charm to talk the scales off a snake, a brutish warrior who solves his problems with intimidation and violence, a rogue who creeps around bandit camps with poisoned blade. If you want to blow off the main quest in favor of sidequests and exploration, that's your prerogative.

    Then you get sent to Sasau Monastary to track down and kill one of the bandits who raided a stud farm. In order to get in, you need to join the order and become a monk yourself. And the story comes to a screeching halt.

    See, the KCD deves were just as committed to a realistic portrayal of 15th century Bohemia in Sasau Monastary as they were in other areas of the game. That means that, as a monk, you're stripped of everything you have, and you're expected to keep to a monk's schedule:
    -Up at 4AM and head to the chapel for mass until 6AM
    -Breakfast in silence until 7AM
    -Work in the gardens and making potions until noon
    -Work in the library transcribing books until 4PM
    -Mass until 6PM
    -Dinner until 7PM
    -Freetime until 9PM Curfew

    Miss Mass? Don't do your work? Ignore your schedule in favor of doing the other three side quests in the area? The Circators, the enforcers of the Monastary, will track you down. That means that unless you're going to dodge the Circators at every opportunity or just ignore how the quest tells you to do things, you're going to spend about fifteen hours of each day just staring at the wait menu. Go to mess hall, and wait. Go to gardens, make one potion, wait. Go to library, pick three dialogue options, wait. And it's probably going to take you a few in-game days to nail which of the other four novices is your target, much less to carry out your hit.

    To make matters worse, this is a portion of the questline that basically requires you to play as a thief-ish character. Don't have 15 lockpicking? Sorry, you won't be able to pick the locks of the doors out of the monastary, so you'll need to pick the pocket of the Prior to get the key. What's that? Didn't put any practice into Pickpocketing either, because you're playing as a Henry that values chivalry? That's a right bummer, innit?

    I appreciate that the KCD devs give you multiple ways to identify the target, but it kills me that all of them amount to "play a thief in the nine hours a day you're not tied up in Monastary life." Sneak into the Prior's office to read his notes. Steal a forbidden book to influence an election. Steal the Prior's keys so you can sneak over to the custodian's house and steal some booze. Sneak into a cellar to spy on some senior monks. Break into every room in the monastary to put together a manuscript of Ovid. It's all thieving left and right, which is brilliant for a thief character but not so great for anybody else.
    I haven't seen the parts you mentioned in the spoilers yet, but I've enjoyed the game immensely as well. Almost like a realistic Skyrim, yet I've seen so little discussion or praise about the game at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    I've been playing ISLANDERS as a fun little pick it up put it down game. It's so quaint, and the art style is lovely. Very relaxing. And I think it cost like 6 bucks CAD? I'd highly recommend it if you like puzzle games, or city builders, although it's not a classic city builder like Caesar III or anything approaching that complexity. You just get points for placing down buildings in good spots.
    Islanders is pretty enjoyable, yeah. I felt like it (intentionally) hit a pretty sweet spot between minimalism and strategy, where it fortunately avoids ever seeming like a knockoff mobile game. Almost like a Settlers - Zen edition.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-04-27 at 03:38 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Well I've gone back to Devil May Cry 4 SE, just beat Mission 11 and I'm up to the switcharoo. I forgot how much I hate these Angelo enemies, although I guess switching characters and being tired didn't help my success in Mission 12.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle-o'-Nowhere, Idaho
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Just finished off Metro: Last Light this morning, which kind of leaves me in a void of what to play next. There's a part of me wants to jump straight into Metro: Exodus, but that'd involve an outlay of $60, which seems kind of silly when I have a hundred games in my Steam library waiting to be played. And also Epic Games horsecrappery, but I'm not touching that argument with a fifty foot pole.

    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Okay... so...

    Note to self: don't turn on the Frostfell mod until AFTER you're freed in the Helgen intro quest. My poor Brenton passed out from the cold when the guard called her forward and I'm pretty sure every Nord in that scene laughed just before the game locked up. XD
    As a general rule, I try to avoid enabling mods until after Helgen, if I'm not using Live Another Life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I haven't seen the parts you mentioned in the spoilers yet, but I've enjoyed the game immensely as well. Almost like a realistic Skyrim, yet I've seen so little discussion or praise about the game at all.
    I know, right? It's gone curiously under the radar for such a high quality game.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    rooster707's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Dallas-ish
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Just finished off Metro: Last Light this morning, which kind of leaves me in a void of what to play next. There's a part of me wants to jump straight into Metro: Exodus, but that'd involve an outlay of $60, which seems kind of silly when I have a hundred games in my Steam library waiting to be played. And also Epic Games horsecrappery, but I'm not touching that argument with a fifty foot pole.
    If you already have the Epic launcher, Transistor is free there right now and it's 100% worth your time. I just finished it last night, it's incredible. Fun tactical combat, but more importantly a beautiful story with amazing characters. Being more specific about why I liked it would probably spoil things, but... go play Transistor right now. Everyone. Please.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    I tried playing Transistor ages ago and I just didn't like it. I mean, I loved Bastion so I got Transistor expecting it to be similar, but I just wasn't any good at the game and got stuck.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MinimanMidget's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I tried playing Transistor ages ago and I just didn't like it. I mean, I loved Bastion so I got Transistor expecting it to be similar, but I just wasn't any good at the game and got stuck.
    I had a similar experience - I loved Bastion, but I just didn't find Transistor fun. I wouldn't say I sucked at it, it just wasn't enjoyable to me. I really liked Pyre, though, so I'm still invested in Supergiant and looking forward to Hades.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    As a general rule, I try to avoid enabling mods until after Helgen, if I'm not using Live Another Life.
    I am using Live Another Life. It's just the intro sequence goes on longer than you are able to find a warm shirt to put on before the mod kills you. XD


    Anniversary with the wife recently happened. She got me Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright as a gift, so I'll check that out this weekend. I heard it's pretty good.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What Are You Playing Right Now, Part 2: Daggerfall

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Just finished off Metro: Last Light this morning, which kind of leaves me in a void of what to play next. There's a part of me wants to jump straight into Metro: Exodus, but that'd involve an outlay of $60, which seems kind of silly when I have a hundred games in my Steam library waiting to be played. And also Epic Games horsecrappery, but I'm not touching that argument with a fifty foot pole.
    Plus, they seemed to pull Metro: Exodus from the Steam store. Which is a shame because I would have bought it if it went on sale. But I'm not going to go out of my way to go onto their store page for a possible sale that may arise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •