New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Any Con based casters?

Has anyone made or know of a Constitution based caster? Someone who channels their own blood/health/vigor to cast spells, and takes damage with every casting? If it somehow doesn't exist, any suggestions/things I need to be aware of/dangers need to avoid when creating one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Any Con based casters?

Well, I'm not entirely sure about homebrewed ones, but I do know of 2 options from 3rd party products, one Pathfinder, one 3.X

One of the casting boons in the Magical Traditions for Spheres of Power (a very interesting rework of the system) allows you to cast with your Con modifier

Another, a book for 3.X called Bastards and Bloodlines has a feat allowing you to pick any stat to cast with, including Con!
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Not totally related, but Sanctified and Corrupt spells generally force some form of stat damage on their caster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

The 3.0 Psionics handbook had Psychokineticists use constitution for their powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

An un-errated Scarred Witch Doctor (PF, racial witch archetype available to orcs and half orcs.) uses Con to cast.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

HP-based casting is sort of like skill-check based magic-- you'd think it would work, but at least in this system it really doesn't. Con as a casting stat means your mage will wind up being the beefiest person in the party, and HP as a resource is waaaaayyyy too easy to refill. Wands of Lesser Vigor or CLW are dirt cheap, and heck-- one level of Dragon Shaman and you'll regenerate up to half health all day every day. The closest functional form I can think of is something like the Kineticist from Pathfinder-- instead of taking flat damage, they acquire "Burn" that reduces their total HP by 1/level and thus can't be healed away. And that's using "functional" broadly, 'cause the Kineticist is possibly the worst written class I've ever seen outside of dandwiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    The 3.0 Psionics handbook had Psychokineticists use constitution for their powers.
    Shh. We don't talk about 3e psionics.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

If youwant to get really trixsy you could play a warcraft ogre mage and take the racial feats that make all casting class features based on con. Found in warcraft book for monsters not the wow one

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord