New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Exalted 2 Combo understanding, building and charms

Hello guys :)

First, I trying to understand the combo crating and use cost.

Second, I what for you to give me your opinion on my charms and advise on how to progress.

Third, my DM told me he will give me a nice buff if I use the Charm "Inexhaustible Bolts of Solar Fire" in a combo because his translate book have problems(I use the English version he gave me for the game). I have no idea for a charm to combo it with.

Fourth, I want to combo "Seven Shadow Evasion", "Leaping Dodge Method" and "Reflex Sidestep Technique". Is it worth it? What will it cost to use and create?

I know I should ask my DM but he doesn't have time to answer until the game as he have a big test for his degree.

Those are my charms(it took me so much time to write it by hand):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

When I will get home I will give you the character sheet if it is needed(I do remember most of it).

My character is a Mongolian Mounted Archer that lead a tribe of Mongolian Mounted Archers.

A lot of the Ride stuff is not relevant to me as I have a special background mount(not a familiar, a special NPC my DM is creating).

I will be happy to get your help.

We have another range-war Character in the group but he work at longer range then me(using a sniper) and have a different War tree.

I am trying to make a medium range ride by archer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Exalted 2 Combo understanding, building and charms

Important question: are you using the rules before or after the Errata (official, free update and correction to the rules)?

Before the Errata, combos are expensive to use and create. After the errata, they are much easier to deal with (since they cost nothing).

Universal Combo Rules

These rules apply before and after the Errata.

- If you use a Charm that is NOT Combo-OK, you cannot use any other charms on the same turn.
    Important: it's on the SAME turn, so if the Charm has a long duration, you can activate it and then benefit from it later on. On the turn you create your Immaculate Golden Bow, you cannot use any other Charms (for instance, Seven Shadow Evasion).
    Important: the abilities granted by Permanent Charms are typically Combo-OK, so you should be able to use Phantom Arrow Technique to create arrows you fire as part of a Combo.

- You can only use ONE Simple Charm in a turn.
    You can't use Heroism Encouraging Presence and Fury Inciting Presence on the same (long) turn, even though both are Combo-OK, because both are Simple Charms.

- The Simple and Supplemental Charms in a Combo MUST belong to the same Ability (unless they say otherwise).
    A Combo that includes Essence Arrow Attack cannot have a Simple Dodge Charm in it.

- If it's in a Combo, you MUST use a Supplemental Charm as often as possible.
    A Combo that includes Essence Arrow Attack MUST have each arrow you shoot boosted by the Charm.

- If it's in a Combo, you CAN decide not to use a Reflexive Charm.
    A Combo that includes Leaping Dodge Method does not force you to jump (and spend essence) each time you activate it.

Before Errata Rules

Each Combo is a list of Charms, and you have to create and buy them individually (with bonus points or experience points).

If you want to add a Charm to a Combo, you need to create a new Combo and pay for it.

In order to use a Combo at all, you need to spend 1 temporary Willpower, PLUS the cost of all the Charms you use in the Combo.

After Errata Rules

Combos can be created for free, so you can add (or remove) Charms from them as you like.

You only need to spend the cost of the Charms you use in a Combo.

Character Comments

You appear to have no Excellency Charms. This is probably not a good idea, as Excellencies give you extra dice (or successes), allowing you to do things a lot better than other people.

You have one Supplemental Charm, which cannot be combined with your mount (unless it also has a bow?), so Single Spirit Method is basically a wasted Charm.

You do not have any extra action charms, so you're going to be shooting very few arrows at a time or missing a lot. This is where Excellencies could help too (giving you extra dice so you can shoot more than once on your turn and still have decent odds of hitting).

Inexhaustible Bolts of Solar Fire can be put in some of the following Combos:

Damaging Arrows
    Charms: Adds Essence Arrow Attack.

Effect: Each arrow you shoot does +(Essence) automatic damage, +1 die to damage, and a special effect from Essence Arrow Attack.

Cost: 8 motes and 2 willpower to activate (8 motes and 1 willpower if Errata is used), plus 2 motes per arrow fired.

Notes: Using Phantom Arrow Technique to create arrows, and supplement them with Essence Arrow Attack gives you 1 less die of damage and a cost of 3 motes / arrow. So it's less expensive if you plan to shoot 8 or fewer arrows in a scene (24 motes for 8 arrows either way, Combo has extra willpower costs).

Evasive Archer
    Charms: Adds Seven Shadow Evasion, Leaping Dodge Method

Effect: Allows you to dodge any attack coming at you and jump out of the way on the turn you activate Inexhaustible Bolts of Solar Fire. You can also get your horse to dodge and jump too, via Worthy Mount Technique.

Cost: 8 motes and 2 willpower to activate (8 motes and 1 willpower if Errata is used), 3 motes for Seven Shadow Evasion (if used) (8 motes if Errata is used), 3 motes for Leaping Dodge Method (if used).

Notes: Only relevant if you need to avoid attacks while activating Inexhaustible Bolts of Solar Fire. If you can do that before getting into a fight, the Combo is useless - so it's really most relevant if you are not using the Errata.

Super Dodge Combo

A Combo with your Dodge Charms in it allows you to automatically dodge even surprise attacks (Seven Shadow + Reflex Sidestep) and move out of the way of melee if you're taking multiple attacks (Leaping Dodge). The latter is important, as it means you spend 3 motes to jump away, rather than 3 motes per attack coming at you.

This is a very good defense against close combat threats (as long as you can move fast), and is helpful when you might be ambushed or hit with dangerous weapons. It's also fairly expensive to use, so you may want to add an Excellency and Shadow Over Water so you can get cheaper mote costs against low power attacks.

This is also one of the Combos that makes Exalted combat Not Fun (tm), so talk to your GM about it. When you have it, you are nearly impossible to hurt as long as you have motes left, so fights become Very Slow (especially if you Stunt to regain motes).

Other Options

I am required by contract to mention that you can do some truly awesome things if you find a Raksha (Fair Folk) to help you out.

Arrow of the Blue Prince

The Blue Prince was one of the more powerful Raksha, who was bound to fight the Orange Princess until the end of Time. When Creation intruded upon their battle, they chose to use it as a weapon, and appointed champions to teach their way of life there.

The champion of the Blue Prince is granted a single arrow - a crystal projectile closer to a javelin than an arrow in size - which can be used but once. When fired, it releases the fury of the Fair Folk upon all in its vicinity, peppering them with missiles until they are dead. The more powerful of the Arrows have been known to devastate entire cities, but even the weakest will not harm those who wear blue, proof of their allegiance to the Prince.

Mechanics: The Arrow is a Behemoth which can merge with an entire city, and then attack everything it senses there - except things wearing blue. The attacks are not necessarily overly powerful (though they can be), but they never stop until the targets are dead, have left the city, or the original Arrow is destroyed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by meschlum View Post
    Cut
    Thank you for the help, it is really helpful.
    I think the DM book is updated because there is no cost to combos in there.

About the Single Spirit Method, it is a charm tax for the flying horse charm.

I took excellency only when I needed it as a charm tax, I will take some more as I will level up.

Extra action will also come later.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

In which case, seriously consider adding the Excellencies to your combos, as it gives you more dice to do things with.

Dodge: you really want an Excellency, probably First as it allows finer control. Why? Because it lets you increase your DV so you don't get hit. Put it into your Combos, so you have options besides using Seven Shadows.

Example: You have Dexterity 3, Essence 2, and Dodge 3. This gives you a base Dodge DV of 4. If an opponent rolls 4 successes on an attack against you, you can use your First Excellency to add 1 die to your Dodge pool, raising your DV to 5 - and they miss, for a cost of 1 mote.

Archery: an Excellency is very useful here too, though which one you use is more a matter of taste. First gives you more volatility, a chance to do better than expected (rolling a 10), while Second is a guarantee of performance (1 success, no need to roll). It can also be used to perform multiple attacks. Combo an Excellency with your Archery charms and you can hit a lot more often with your Supplemented arrows. Plus, each extra success on the attack roll is another die to roll for damage!

Example: You have Dexterity 3, Archery 3 and are shooting with a Bow that has +1 Accuracy. Your dice pool is 7 dice. If you shoot one arrow, you roll 7 dice for your attack, so you probably hit an opponent with a DV of 3 or less. If you shoot two arrows, your pool is 5 / 4 dice, so you may hit an opponent with DV 2 or less. If you shoot 3 arrows, your pool is 4 / 3 / 2 dice, so you're probably going to be missing a lot. By adding an Excellency, you can make yourself a lot more likely to hit...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Thank you for the help, it is really helpful.
    I think the DM book is updated because there is no cost to combos in there.

About the Single Spirit Method, it is a charm tax for the flying horse charm.

I took excellency only when I needed it as a charm tax, I will take some more as I will level up.

Extra action will also come later.
    I don't think the core book was ever updated, as that's a fairly recent one. You should find the combo rules still there, along with their xp and wp cost.

I'll have to be the one to break the question here: Are you sure you don't want to go to 3e? The number of reasons to stick to 2e are diminishing by the day.