New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What builds do you wish you'd played?

Bard/Artificer hybrid arcane archer. Seems fun and a support with a variety of skills. Also, it's an unusual combination of Int and Cha, but would be like some sort of charismatic inventor.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

My contact with 4E was far shorter than I would have wanted it to be and I wish I'd been able to play a rogue with a longsword or bastard sword, using the feat that allows for it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My contact with 4E was far shorter than I would have wanted it to be and I wish I'd been able to play a rogue with a longsword or bastard sword, using the feat that allows for it.
    That is one of my favorites things that I see as a player in 4e, you can do some builds that usually aren't even considerable in 5e

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

With enough books, yeah. I can't even remember now where the heavy blade feat was. In core rogues are sadly stuck pretty hard with knives, shortswords and small ranged weapons.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #35

With enough books, yeah. I can't even remember now where the heavy blade feat was. In core rogues are sadly stuck pretty hard with knives, shortswords and small ranged weapons.
    The only longsword rogue feats in the books are Longsword Finesse (Eladrin only, sadly) and the Red Cloak feats (which, sadly, don't actually allow you to use the mentioned powers with a longsword; they simply confer a benefit if you do).

The one you're thinking of is Versatile Duelist, which is from DMG 381, and basically allows you to treat a one-handed heavy blade as if it were a light blade for the purpose of rogue powers and features (with more complicated verbiage for balance purposes) while also giving you proficiency in one-handed military heavy blades (Broadsword, Khopesh, Longsword, and Scimitar).
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePurple View Post
    The only longsword rogue feats in the books are Longsword Finesse (Eladrin only, sadly) and the Red Cloak feats (which, sadly, don't actually allow you to use the mentioned powers with a longsword; they simply confer a benefit if you do).

The one you're thinking of is Versatile Duelist, which is from DMG 381, and basically allows you to treat a one-handed heavy blade as if it were a light blade for the purpose of rogue powers and features (with more complicated verbiage for balance purposes) while also giving you proficiency in one-handed military heavy blades (Broadsword, Khopesh, Longsword, and Scimitar).
    Dragon 381, but yes. And the wording is sneak attack only on such rogue powers, rather than generally.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    That is one of my favorites things that I see as a player in 4e, you can do some builds that usually aren't even considerable in 5e
    With enough books, yeah.
    My pattern is using a ki focus to pull odd things together. At least half of my weird build ideas use a ki focus.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    My pattern is using a ki focus to pull odd things together. At least half of my weird build ideas use a ki focus.
    I'm a huge fan of Ki Foci personally. It's one of the reasons I'm a huge fan of Elemental Initiate.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

What's your opinion on assassin multiclass, then? 'Coz that too shows up in my builds startlingly often.

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #40

What's your opinion on assassin multiclass, then? 'Coz that too shows up in my builds startlingly often.
    For me, there's usually a more useful MC- Monk, for example, either for Flurry or for Monk Unarmed Attack, and sometimes for a powerswap for Quicksilver Motion or a useful PP (e.g. Soaring Blade or Radiant Fist). But it really depends on how you read various assassin things and what else you have going on. Are Shrouds a separate damage instance? Do they benefit again from extra damage and ping vulnerabilities? How many damage instances are Flurry of Talons/Shadow Fire? MC Assassin can range anywhere from "Monk, but worse" to something that bulks up an optimized striker.

I should note that I've been thinking about Hybrid/MC Vampire and where that could be useful- takes a few feats but ups your durability ridiculously. Really depends on how many combats you see per day, though; it's better if you have a lot of combats.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    I should note that I've been thinking about Hybrid/MC Vampire and where that could be useful- takes a few feats but ups your durability ridiculously. Really depends on how many combats you see per day, though; it's better if you have a lot of combats.
    MwaO's Vampire guide a couple years back really opened my eyes in this regard!
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, Vamp|Leader works out pretty well even on shortdays. The group I play with tends towards 2 encounter workdays, and we've had vamps hybrid with ardent, bard, and warlord all to pretty potent effect
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

That's the one, yeah. I remember wondering if I should spend an extra feat on bastard sword proficiency and figuring that I probably shouldn't. Now I'm not sure if that would even work.

14. - Top - End - #44

That's the one, yeah. I remember wondering if I should spend an extra feat on bastard sword proficiency and figuring that I probably shouldn't. Now I'm not sure if that would even work.
    It would still work with Bastard Sword. Longsword and Broadsword explicitly work with it and they're both versatile one-handed heavy blades, just like the Bastard Sword. There's no military requirement for it. Of course, the effectiveness of such a choice is questionable, since Rogues tend to get most of their damage increases from additional stats or sources other than additional weapon damage die, so you're not going to be seeing quite the same increase as you'd expect going from a d4 to a d10.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

For me, there's usually a more useful MC- Monk, for example, either for Flurry or for Monk Unarmed Attack, and sometimes for a powerswap for Quicksilver Motion or a useful PP (e.g. Soaring Blade or Radiant Fist). But it really depends on how you read various assassin things and what else you have going on.
    Assassin feats are what attract me the most. They have so few prerequisites and such deep potential. Minion of the Dark, for example -- unlimited darkvision for any race. The Nightmare and Venom Hand series, to ratchet up a themed set of attacks for any class. Cruel Shroud, imposing lasting CA as a free action with no restrictions.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

The Assassin + Warlock feat, that grants you the Warlock Concealment feature, is great for Warlock hybrids. MC Assassin, grab that feat, and you don't burn your Hybrid Talent on it.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-03-21 at 10:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

It would still work with Bastard Sword. Longsword and Broadsword explicitly work with it and they're both versatile one-handed heavy blades, just like the Bastard Sword. There's no military requirement for it. Of course, the effectiveness of such a choice is questionable, since Rogues tend to get most of their damage increases from additional stats or sources other than additional weapon damage die, so you're not going to be seeing quite the same increase as you'd expect going from a d4 to a d10.
    That's what I thought, yes. Possible but probably not worth it. I still wish I'd played this character. A fast and skirmishing swordsman is one of my favorite character types... I'd just need to play down the thievery angle.

18. - Top - End - #48

I wish I'd played any of the *switch builds- Flameswitch (the ardent one) appeals to me most.

I think 4e did Leaders better than any P&P RPG I've played. I have a soft spot for enablers, because combat can always go faster*. Someone who can call nova & wipe half an encounter just sounds delicious. I'm afraid, because my DM would has basically a 50-50 shot of saying "OK, we can call it if you all just lose a surge now" or throwing in two more elites to make it last another hour.

I've been in a campaign that's been going on for 8 years, so I have a mish-mash Wayfarer Gnome ValBard with more than a smattering of Paladin. He's about right for the campaign powerwise, has more options than anyone else, and makes the rest of the party do their thing so efficiently they don't even notice; but feels like he's held together with chewing gum & twist ties, and even with a cheat-sheet nobody else can run him. He's satisfied several itches.

*yeah, yeah, "as much the players as the system". But shuffling Alea Tools markers under a half-dozen creatures takes almost as long as the guy who doesn't think about his turn before it starts.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    my DM would has basically a 50-50 shot of saying "OK, we can call it if you all just lose a surge now" or throwing in two more elites to make it last another hour.
    aaaaaaaaaah that would drive me so batty.

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pardon my ignorance, but how does a switch build work?

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how does a switch build work?
    The name is based on the original, Killswitch. Basically you hybrid two leaders (usually) and take the best of both.

Killswitch- Artificer|Warlord. Warlord initiative bonus and attack granting with Magic Weapon and both classes’ party movement.

Chordswitch- Bard|Ardent. War Chanter’s AP feature plus Ardent attack granting. Adds party movement via Mc warlord, esp in Epic.

Flameswitch- Warlord|Shaman for the normal warlord stuff plus shaman’s good early attack granting, MCs Invoker for Flame of Hope’s ap feature and domination in Epic.

Thoughtswitch/Mindswitch- Warlord|Psion; adds the level 1 psion at will that grants big bonuses plus the level 17 at will that grants OAs and cha bonuses.

Luckswitch- Warlord|Cleric for Warlord stuff, the cleric powers that force enemies to provoke OAs, and luckbringer of tymora’s e11 and e20.

Lightswitch- Artificer|Cleric
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2019-03-31 at 07:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Chordswitch- Bard|Ardent. War Chanter’s AP feature plus Ardent attack granting. Adds party movement via Mc warlord, esp in Epic.

Flameswitch- Warlord|Shaman for the normal warlord stuff plus shaman’s good early attack granting, MCs Invoker for Flame of Hope’s ap feature and domination in Epic.
    I had apparently conflated these two. My memory was pretty much a 50-50 mix of them; as I had forgotten Invoker was a class.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I was going to reply to this with an actual answer but thinking about it made me too sad.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    I was going to reply to this with an actual answer but thinking about it made me too sad.
    By way of analogy, you're not a window-shopper, you want to be able to BUY something. It wasn't possible to keep a game going (on this site) back before 5e, and after further decline, you're even less likely to see interesting builds in viable games today.

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Thinking back, I wish I'd played more of... I believe the subclass was resourceful warlord? All the options for helping the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

By way of analogy, you're not a window-shopper, you want to be able to BUY something. It wasn't possible to keep a game going (on this site) back before 5e, and after further decline, you're even less likely to see interesting builds in viable games today.
    It took a nutso amount of work for the GM to run combats by post. 4E definitely worked better real-time.

I cling to a tiny shred of hope that maybe we'll get a good 4E spiritual successor one day.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    It took a nutso amount of work for the GM to run combats by post. 4E definitely worked better real-time.
    Interrupts were hell in a play-by-post environment. The best solution I'd found was Google Wave, where you could post replies to individual posts (or even lines of individual posts) to physically interrupt, and you could see people interacting like you can when sharing a Google Doc. It was the best non-real-time 4e around. But then they killed that, so whatever.

I cling to a tiny shred of hope that maybe we'll get a good 4E spiritual successor one day.
    There are a few that get close on certain elements (13th Age for fairly well-balanced F20, Strike! for tactical combat and powers), but yeah. Nothing hits every mark.

28. - Top - End - #58

Eh, I've had some success with Guild on roll20 playing the builds I've come up with — in the past year or so, I've played:
    A Deva Ardent Vow Cha/Wis Paladin who specialized in primarily close bursts+used a holy symbol that adds fire damage to marked targets
    A Human Warden|Sorcerer who has Path of the Scarred to add fire damage to all encounter/daily powers. Also has fire vulnerability options+fire wind blades and does a lot of damage due to that.
    A Half-Elf Skald Bard who has Divine Bolts with Power of Skill and has taken Dune Trader theme options+Student of the Seven. Has a nice mix of oddball attacks.
    A Dragonborn Arena Fighter who uses Net Training to both mark and slow on weapon attacks+Order Adept to be able to use Wizard utilities.

None of them is too powerful for the game, generally do consistently fun things and do things you're not quite necessarily expecting a PC to do.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I wish I had gotten to play in a well played party that included a vampire and an artificer. Having those two can be really neat since if you get lucky the artificer can take some of the extra surges the vampire gets over their normal maximum to recharge his healing and as long as you have one more than normal in surges for your vampire you get healed to full HP and the artificer can heal in combat the vampire and it does not even use up one of the vamps limited healing surges. It is a neat two character combo.

I had some high level bards I wanted to try too. I did get to play my mostly lazy warlord (mostly lazy because he had powers that while granting attacks to others allowed me to use basic attacks which was important because I had high int and cha on a resourceful warlord but low strength and I could make basic attacks well due to having intelligent blade master with my swordmage multiclass) so I at least go to do that. I also wanted to get to play a monk but I always ended up DMing one instead. They always seemed fun.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I was very fortunate that I got to play 4e A LOT. So I daresay that I have played almost every build that even gave me a passing curiosity. I do have one regret:

I played a Runepriest. I freaking loved it. I didn't get to play a Runepriest with support from WotC. Like, where were my choices? That class rocked and you left it to die! I wanted more choices!
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!