New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Good items/spells/future progression for Conquest Paladin

Rolling up a Yuan-Ti Conquest Paladin for a new campaign. Starting at 7th level with 1 rare, 1 uncommon, and up to 3 common magic items.

I'm going less for damage and more for a highly survivable tank with a lot of control options. Open to multiclass after the initial 7 levels needed to get my fear aura.

Rolled stats 16 Str 11 Dex 18 Con 10 Int 10 Wis 20 Cha including level 4 ASI.

High points - AC 21 with plate, shield, and defensive fighting style. Amazing saving throws with racial advantage vs magic and +5 to all saves from Aura of protection. Will usually have bless cast for an additional d4.

Spells -
    1st Bless, Command (Oath), Ensnaring Strike (Oath), Speak w/ Animals (Racial, at will, snakes only), Wrathful Smite

2nd Aid, Find Steed, Lesser Restoration, Magic Weapon, Misty Step (Oath), Moonbeam (Oath), Suggestion (Racial, 1/day free), Zone of Truth

Magic Items:
    Rare: Cloak of displacement
    Uncommon: Winged Boots
    Common: Moon Touched Sword (beats nonmagic restistance), Ruby of the War Mage, Dread Helm

Haven't played much outside of the early levels and havent played this style before, so input is apreciated. Most interested in good items r spells I can choose that I may have overlooked and what to angle for as I advance. Strongly considering a full caster dip for shield, cantrips, ect. either Divine soul for guidance and absorb elementsor hexblade for a short rest spell slot and Cha-based attacks. future feats I am looking at Sentinel, Shield Master, and Warcaster but havent decided.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Good items/spells/future progression for Conquest Paladin

You seem to have mixed up some of the Oath spells, you don't get Ensnaring Strike, Misty Step or Moonbeam as a Conquest Paladin.

I wouldn't even consider multiclassing out of Paladin until you pick up Fear at 9th level. My favorite magic item on my Conquest Paladin is my Rod of Rulership; all will bow before me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for the catch. Earlier version was going to be Ancients instead of Conquest, I forgot to change the Oath spells.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Going to 9 for the fear spell is a given and we really want find greater steed. 13 for FGS and improved smite are also worth considering.

For a caster multi that does not delay fear I'd suggest feylock as that offers a 1/short rest fear effect from level 1.

Ring of spell storing is almost always the best rare choice. 5 "free" levels of spells every day is incredibly good for the resource starved paladin. Guantlets of Ogre Power let us dump str to 13 forever.

Res (con), Alert, Menacing (UA) and Shield mastery/mounted combatant are all stellar feat choices.
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-02-23 at 09:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...th-of-Conquest

Every time this thread slips from the first two pages I get sad. I have a special place in my heart for the Conquest Paladin. That guide (and more specifically the discussion that follows) is incredible. Go forth and conquer.
    [Signature goes here]

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

Honestly? With your stats and starting conditions, I'd just stick to straight conquest pally.

Drop the displacement cloak. Yes, its an awesome item, but enemies will often already suffer disadvantage on attacks against you (and everyone else) due to the frightened condition. Instead, I'd recomend the belt of hill giant strength. That will fix conquest's madness issues without having to multiclass, freeing up your future asi's for feats and giving you +2 to hit, damage, and arhletics checks right now.

Theoretically, you could also dump your strength for 16 dex or wis, but I wouldn't reccommend it, just in case you get caught out in an antimagic zone at some point.

If you stick to paladin, the ruby of the war mage isnt needed, you can use your shield for a focus anyway, though Im not sure what else you would grab for meaningful common items. For more aesthetic ones, Im partial to billowing cloak or smoldering armor. On the other hand, you might just hold onto the ruby, in case you later decide to dip warlock anyway, which you might do for the ranged attack, recharging slots, and patron features. Since your attack stat will be covered anyway, if you do dip warlock, you might want to consider non-hex patrons.

Again, though, I'd recommend sticking it out as straight conqueror. Every conquest level offers something nice for the build.if you end up desperate for better ranged options than javalins, you can always take magic initiate or spell sniper for a cantrip. And once you have 4th level paladin spells, riding on a pegasus will grant you better 'range' on your melee attacks than many ranged attacks have anyway.