New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Question about a Blood Hunter build

Hi all,

We may start a new game and I was looking at Mercer's Blood Hunter class and the order of the Lycan really caught my attention. Now, I wonder how I'd go about and build this. Once you activate your Lycan form you use unarmed attacks. How well does this order plays with the rest of the class.

Would you need the feat Tavern Brawler to always use unarmed attack? Or should one dip as a Monk for the Martial Art ability? I'm asking because I'm not fond of using a weapon and having to drop it to fully use the abilities provided by the order.

Do you need to take TWF fighting style? If you take it will it allow to add the Dex bonus to off-hand unarmed attack?

Any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make this class and order work together without having to use weapon when not in Lycan form... just to keep the flavor.

Thank you,
    Last edited by BladedWizard; 2019-02-21 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Typos
    BladedWizard

2. - Top - End - #2
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Default Re: Question about a Blood Hunter build

While quite out of date, there is Nishant's Blood Hunter guide that has some optimization advice.

To address your specific questions though, TWF is not required for the Lycan to apply the ability modifer to both attacks. To deal more than a single point of damage + STR unarmed when not transformed, there are a few options. Tavern Brawler or a Monk level are viable, or you can choose a race that has natural weapons. Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, Minotaur, and Tortles fit the bill.

While Monk would provide that nice Unarmored Defense, delaying your primary class features is always tough. Tavern Brawler could create some very interesting visuals if you activate your Crimson Rite on an improvised weapon (flaming dead goblin or instant frosty mug), but restricts you to vHuman or costs you the ASI at 4. Personally, selecting one of the other races could be the ideal choice, as you could play it up as the lycanthropy curse always being active to some degree, and the transformation akin to a Barbarian's Rage. Remember that there are many forms of lycanthropy - a Tabaxi Weretiger is not out of the realm of possibility.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    To address your specific questions...
    That was just some good advice. Nice job.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    While quite out of date, there is Nishant's Blood Hunter guide that has some optimization advice.

To address your specific questions though, TWF is not required for the Lycan to apply the ability modifer to both attacks. To deal more than a single point of damage + STR unarmed when not transformed, there are a few options. Tavern Brawler or a Monk level are viable, or you can choose a race that has natural weapons. Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, Minotaur, and Tortles fit the bill.

While Monk would provide that nice Unarmored Defense, delaying your primary class features is always tough. Tavern Brawler could create some very interesting visuals if you activate your Crimson Rite on an improvised weapon (flaming dead goblin or instant frosty mug), but restricts you to vHuman or costs you the ASI at 4. Personally, selecting one of the other races could be the ideal choice, as you could play it up as the lycanthropy curse always being active to some degree, and the transformation akin to a Barbarian's Rage. Remember that there are many forms of lycanthropy - a Tabaxi Weretiger is not out of the realm of possibility.
    Thanks so much. I will consult the guide. Totally forgot about it. And you’re right. One of those race would fit. Much appreciated.
    BladedWizard

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm going around trying to get players advice and experience from their lycan blood hunter builds. Curious to know how did you like running your build?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I am currently playing a Order of Lycan and am really enjoying it,early game it is very strong as long as enemies dont have silvered weapon,which you take out first then transform. As for working with the rest of the class you get extra movement speed from the order and dark velocity so you have a whole bunch of movement. As for the blood lust,the way I play is a bit reckless by running in the fray of enemies so even if I wisdom save I will still attack an enemy ,but I do have two healers in my group so you may have to be more cautious. My order of lycan is a simic hybrid who I flavored his transformation as a part of his experimentation. It is quite fun as the tank of my group. If you are going to multi into monk, you should best do it after lvl 5 as you get extra attack and your rite die go into d6's. Also tough is ALWAYS appreciated on a blood hunter.