New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Looking for a Black Skeleton

Hey y'all. Let me begin by saying this is my first time posting. Not just here, but like ANY forum. I've used this site as a resource numerous times (gotta love those handbooks). Now I come to y'all with a mighty quest!!! I'm trying to find an artifact I read about a looooooooong time ago (maybe a decade or so?)

So basically this artifact was a black skeleton that some dude created and, when active, it animated all dead in some ridiculously huge radius (like 200 miles or so). Eventually it was defeated, but couldn't be truly destroyed so all 206 pieces were separated and scattered around the world.

Now, enterprising necromancers and other evil Spellcasters can find these bones and replace their bones with them to gain special abilities. Such as replace a finger and get a moderate touch attack. Replace a whole hand and gain several touch attacks that are stronger and/or have more daily uses.

The more you replace the more power you get. Given time you could replace your entire body, minus skull and spine, and wield the artifact's skull and spine as a mace. Unfortunately, you have to make regular Will saves or else tear out your own skull/spine and become the new black skeleton.

I hope this helps out. I've no idea where I read it. Probably a magazine? I'm making a big bad for an undead HEAVY campaign and I think this would add nicely to it. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Looking for a Black Skeleton

Never heard of it, sounds cool though. Why not just build it yourself with the foundation you already laid out so it fits better into your campaign world?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Funny that's what a friend of mine has already said. Lol

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solenum View Post
    Funny that's what a friend of mine has already said. Lol
    Your friend is clearly a genius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Clearly. Lol.
    Hey how do I do that thing you just did with the original post in it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Clearly. Lol.
    Hey how do I do that thing you just did with the original post in it?
    Look to the right of this page. See the words "Reply with quote" over there? Click on that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Look to the right of this page. See the words "Reply with quote" over there? Click on that.
    See now I feel dumb. Lol. In my defense I'm on my phone so twas only a quotation mark

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

So basically this artifact was a black skeleton that some dude created and, when active, it animated all dead in some ridiculously huge radius (like 200 miles or so). Eventually it was defeated, but couldn't be truly destroyed so all 206 pieces were separated and scattered around the world.
    You are talking about C. Robert Cargill's Ebony Skeleton of Mol-tet, from the Sword and Sorcery book Tome of Artifacts, Pages 91 to 95.

I think Frog God Games will still sell you a PDF of that book.
    Last edited by Coventry; 2019-02-21 at 08:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    You are talking about C. Robert Cargill's Ebony Skeleton of Mol-tet, from the Sword and Sorcery book Tome of Artifacts, Pages 91 to 95.

I think Frog God Games will still sell you a PDF of that book.
    Praise be to Vecna!!! You sir have found EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you very much.