New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Ranged Goliath Bard?

Hi odd idea here but my group is starting a new campaign @ lv3

note about the setting there are no elves , orcs , goblins and gnomes and there half breeds

Party consists of the following : Barbarian , Minotaur Battle master Fighter , Human Rogue (whip/hand xbow) , Tempest cleric / Storm Sorcerer (Blaster mostly i think)

i was originally going to play a sun soul monk but after reading in to it the Radiant sun bolt ability dose not seem to get Martial arts extra attacks ect so i feel that that probably not the best route . I do not want to hold the party back by contributing poorly being some kind of half arsed ranged char. Along with the fact i would be steeping on the rogues toes quite a bit in skills and the like.

i got the idea for some kind of Goliath Bard(Valor) with a big set of War Drums the only 2 issues i have with this idea and would like some assistance in possibly solving this.

1. obvious route is Strength and melee wielding a pair of Clubs (drumsticks) but 4 in melee-ish range is going to cause issues (in a previous game with the group we were all melee this caused us lots of issues with tight spaces and fireballs) so im looking at going for a predominantly ranged build. Think Buffing / shouting encouragement while doing ranged stuff . And given that going ranged with javelins or something similar would suck
    unless somebody knows a way to get this to work well. i can see two flaws one being the ability to draw/store enough javelins to use especially after lv 6 the other being as magic weapons dont return in 5th having to somehow get a hold of a mountain of magic weapons which i would then be basically handing to the enemy.

2. is it possible to make a strength based ranged char as bards dont have access to decent cantrips and i would prefer a weapon based char.

other ideas would be welcome .

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Ranged Goliath Bard?

Sorry but I don't see ANY way a ranged Str Bard could be viable. My best advice is just don't make him ranged. Go Swords Bard and dual wield clubs in melee. It's fun and flavorful. Magic Initiate: Sorcerer or Warlock could get you a ranged attack cantrip. You could cherry pick some ranged attack spells with Magical Secrets if you want.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Sorry but I don't see ANY way a ranged Str Bard could be viable. My best advice is just don't make him ranged. Go Swords Bard and dual wield clubs in melee. It's fun and flavorful. Magic Initiate: Sorcerer or Warlock could get you a ranged attack cantrip. You could cherry pick some ranged attack spells with Magical Secrets if you want.
    Yeah i figured that would be the case its a bit of a shame though thanks for the Reply . i may have to go back to the drawing board entirely . ill need to think of other ranged options though picking up EB could work
    Last edited by Konun; 2019-02-22 at 10:58 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Konun View Post
    Yeah i figured that would be the case its a bit of a shame though thanks for the Reply . i may have to go back to the drawing board entirely . ill need to think of other ranged options though picking up EB could work
    So, you could have a ranged strength bard by RAW. There is no reason you can't use strength on a thrown weapon (whether that is a dagger or a spear, or whatever). The issue you will run into is that you can't draw and throw two weapons in a single turn by RAW without the Dual Wielder Feat. However, with the Dual Wielder you certainly can carry daggers/darts lining your entire body and throw two of them per turn. That being said, many DMs will handwave this requirement because it's silly.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Hi odd idea here but my group is starting a new campaign @ lv3

note about the setting there are no elves , orcs , goblins and gnomes and there half breeds

Party consists of the following : Barbarian , Minotaur Battle master Fighter , Human Rogue (whip/hand xbow) , Tempest cleric / Storm Sorcerer (Blaster mostly i think)

i was originally going to play a sun soul monk but after reading in to it the Radiant sun bolt ability dose not seem to get Martial arts extra attacks ect so i feel that that probably not the best route . I do not want to hold the party back by contributing poorly being some kind of half arsed ranged char. Along with the fact i would be steeping on the rogues toes quite a bit in skills and the like.

i got the idea for some kind of Goliath Bard(Valor) with a big set of War Drums the only 2 issues i have with this idea and would like some assistance in possibly solving this.

1. obvious route is Strength and melee wielding a pair of Clubs (drumsticks) but 4 in melee-ish range is going to cause issues (in a previous game with the group we were all melee this caused us lots of issues with tight spaces and fireballs) so im looking at going for a predominantly ranged build. Think Buffing / shouting encouragement while doing ranged stuff . And given that going ranged with javelins or something similar would suck
    unless somebody knows a way to get this to work well. i can see two flaws one being the ability to draw/store enough javelins to use especially after lv 6 the other being as magic weapons dont return in 5th having to somehow get a hold of a mountain of magic weapons which i would then be basically handing to the enemy.

2. is it possible to make a strength based ranged char as bards dont have access to decent cantrips and i would prefer a weapon based char.

other ideas would be welcome .
    Hi!
    Plz don't let CTurbo divert you from an interesting character concept if it's what you want to play.

1st rule of gold: play what you want without fear because you just can't be useless or even "bad" in 5E unless that is actually your obejctive and everything you strive for.

Now, with that said, there is indeed some trouble when you want to make a STR ranged character in general.
    So, first. Do you really want to be a STR-based guy just because you're a Goliath?
    Because you could also just go DEX and use that extra bit of STR to justify being a bit aggressive and violent, or a thief carrying loot over shoulder, or whatever.

If that was indeed your schtick, then you have mainly 2 options.
    1. Dwarven Hammer: this is the (only) one weapon you want, since it's a throwable hammer that comes back in hand automatically. Just see with your DM if you could make it work as the result of a quest for example. :)

2. Dual Wielder: with this you can perfectly throw Javelins all day provided you have enough spare ones, even with Extra Attack (if you don't use bonus action as well).

The only other thing I see is using Shadow Blade, throwing it then recalling as bonus action, but that is indeed not very effective. I mean, it's not "bad", but it will certainly require you to upcast it if you want something close enough to the cantrip's autoscaling.

----> You can perfectly make it work as a Whisper's Bard for example, that can get a very decent damage boost one one attack per turn (also meaning less trouble managing draw economy).

As for magic weapons... Seriously? Do you really expect that many magic equipment to come your way?
    Then just ask DM to get the aforementioned Dwarven Hammer, done.

Otherwise, you may prefer going Kensei Monk instead: they get "automagical" damage on their Kensei weapons, so perfectly usable with javelins.

While on topic of Monks, plz note that Sun Soul does have its Radiant Bolt scaling with Martial Arts. The only difference with weapon attacks is that you don't get 1 bonus action weapon attack for free. But you do get "ranged Flurry" for the same cost.

Yet another way, while requiring houserule from your DM, would be going (or at least multiclassing) Eldricht Knight and agreeing you can recall both bounded weapons with the same bonus action.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Hi!

Plz don't let CTurbo divert you from an interesting character concept if it's what you want to play.

1st rule of gold: play what you want without fear because you just can't be useless or even "bad" in 5E unless that is actually your obejctive and everything you strive for.

Now, with that said, there is indeed some trouble when you want to make a STR ranged character in general.
    So, first. Do you really want to be a STR-based guy just because you're a Goliath?
    Because you could also just go DEX and use that extra bit of STR to justify being a bit aggressive and violent, or a thief carrying loot over shoulder, or whatever.
    Thanks for the advice .

i like the concept but i was kinda looking to Force it to be ranged as our party is very melee heavy and some reason or another our group favours melee chars. ive had a few ideas on Melee support chars mainly Valor bard / Battle master focused on Commanders strike and the more supportive options (to create something with warlord like feel)

i was mainly looking at STR ranged as i wanted to avoid using Bows if possible as im playing a Archer (Beast conclave ranger) in the other campaign im in with the same group (we run with an alternate GM every week)

the Dwarven Thrower seems amazing though . i would need to get a interim solution if i talk to the GM i may be able to get a Purely returning version at a lower level ( i presume a +3 is a high level item)

The only difference with weapon attacks is that you don't get 1 bonus action weapon attack for free. But you do get "ranged Flurry" for the same cost.
    This is the main reason i have had second thoughts about the monk as i feel it would make me too weak early game and i really hate feeling like im a detriment or not contributing enough. along with having limited utility as i basically double up on everything the rogue does but worse.

As for magic weapons... Seriously? Do you really expect that many magic equipment to come your way?
    Then just ask DM to get the aforementioned Dwarven Hammer, done.
    No i dont not in a million years do i expect to hurl magic weapons like candy

* edits for some clarity*
    Last edited by Konun; 2019-02-22 at 01:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Echoing some of what Citan said. Get the Dwarven Thrower and carry around a gong that you smack with it. Use Shadowblade until you get it. Shadowblade is an awesome spell, solid damage and can be thrown for range, however if you throw it you do have to use your bonus action to recall it.
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Just realised im being an idiot .

i dont need to be ranged i just need ranged options Javalins/Back up polearm so i can still contribute in tight spaces.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Just realised im being an idiot .

i dont need to be ranged i just need ranged options Javalins/Back up polearm so i can still contribute in tight spaces.

Yep pretty much. Just carry some weapons to throw and you can dual wield clubs in melee like you want.