New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

You also missed the opportunity for a food pun that's right in your face by not calling him Gary Stew.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    You also missed the opportunity for a food pun that's right in your face by not calling him Gary Stew.
    I mean his ****ing Odon.

He may as well actually be called that!

**** what if this was intentional and we discovered the secret?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Oden isn't the culprit of all the crimes that have been laid at his feet. Or at least some of them. He does it to save the people who commit them and that's how he inspires the love and respect of his subjects. We also get to meet Orochi, I expect there to be some kind of insult that fuels all of this coming. Either that or he's just a weasel. Wano continues to be exceptional despite the pace. Also. Another skip. Sad times.

4. - Top - End - #664

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    So, Oden isn't the culprit of all the crimes that have been laid at his feet. Or at least some of them. He does it to save the people who commit them and that's how he inspires the love and respect of his subjects. We also get to meet Orochi, I expect there to be some kind of insult that fuels all of this coming. Either that or he's just a weasel. Wano continues to be exceptional despite the pace. Also. Another skip. Sad times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed on all counts. It's almost certainly a thing that Oden did none of the crimes but takes all that blame because he wants to come off as this impressive badass. Another hint of that is that his "harem" that he kidnapped could just leave whenever they want. That kinda makes it clear they came on purpose.

Also yeah I can't wait for Orochi's beef with Oden to be the most petty ****ing thing.

that said my favorite part this chapter was the very folk-loreic "it is said the capital tilted from the hesitant half-step forward people who wanted to follow Oden took". It's such a good like... feel.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-11-02 at 09:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Orc in the Playground

This manga has just imploded...

Oda has clearly been rushing towards something but i don't think whatever it is will be worth it.

At this point it just feels like he's rushing to end the story.

Ellenate <--- Click for Ellenate webcomic, season 3!
    Ellenate Twitter <--- Click for pretty pictures.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Decent expositional chapter, I think it could have been split into two or three more but clearly the coming of Kaido is going to take a bit to work through.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

The exposition train is obviously not over, nor is the flash back train. We get a hint as to Orochi's issues and we don't belabor the backstory of how the Nine Scabbards came to be. We sorta already got that information from the first two Acts of this play anyway. Will be exciting to see what Denjiro has been up to, if he's really turned or not and if so why, after being so obviously loyal to Oden. It was a good chapter over all.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, strangely enough i think Oden ended up a lot more likeable after this episode.
    Stuff doesnt just go automatically for him now he got a growing following of idiot retainers to take care off.
    And Boy Azura actually made him break a sweat . So for once he had to work to get something.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #669

Aah, a good chapter. This was enjoyable and made it very clear Oden was always a good person, his acts were just... perhaps misunderstood due to his sheer audacity.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Even though this new chapter more or less confirms Oden as a more or less Emperor-class badass.
    Then he also continue to grow on me like some strange mold.
    He feels a bit like an unholy mix of Luffy and Zorro, but i kinda like how unruly his retainers are.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Orc in the Playground

that last scene was like a knock back into consciousness. I've been completely checked out the entire flashback but maybe we are getting somewhere good now.

12. - Top - End - #672

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty good. Shows how Oden met Dog and Cat, as well as our Kappa friend who IS a fishman, with a mermaid mom (who is likely uh... dead, probably). Pretty sad stuff. And of course, all of Oden's retainers start to come into their own as true samurai. I especially like the line of "I was only MADE great, I'm still the same as I always was" because there's just something... interesting about it. For Oden this line is heroic and cool, a showcase of how he's still himself while others are realizing he's not that bad a guy.

And of course we end with Whitebeard, bored and annoyed by this strange land... getting attacked by someone who REALLY wants to get on his boat. Nice.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Cool chapter. Liked the indication that the Rocks pirates were brought down by lack of team spirit because of the massive egos of the members. Also, I thought I'd recognized that one Samurai as one of Whitebeard's crew during the Paramount War. And the way Whitebeard welcomed Oden to their voyage as a "little brother" is such a great detail, showing how he respects him while not actually taking him in as a "son" in his crew (because, well, ego). And now we may finally get a look at what Roger was like back in the day. Me like.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Orc in the Playground

I'm kind of coming around to the flashback but it's still too jarring.

could've made a great standalone story... like an ova series that ran for like 1 or 2 seasons (I believe naruto did something like that or was that just in between filler?).

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    So he is going to turn out to be a D for sure. He matches all of the traits of the D family, so now we know what Samurai Luffy would have looked like. He is going to meet his million times removed cousin, which is probably going to give us a clue about the family backstory and the missing century.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by ellenate View Post
    I'm kind of coming around to the flashback but it's still too jarring.

could've made a great standalone story... like an ova series that ran for like 1 or 2 seasons (I believe naruto did something like that or was that just in between filler?).
    I mean that's One Piece in a nutshell. Toki herself could just be a serial character worthy of a season. Time traveling samurai lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So he is going to turn out to be a D for sure. He matches all of the traits of the D family, so now we know what Samurai Luffy would have looked like. He is going to meet his million times removed cousin, which is probably going to give us a clue about the family backstory and the missing century.
    I'll admit I didn't think of that. Would be interesting.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oda really showing off how much of a determined badass Oden is. Considering that kind of willpower combined with his sheer magnetic personality, I won't be surprised at all if he has Conqueror's Haki. Something to note was that Whitebeard took him in as a "brother", not a son. Izo will most likely end up being treated as a son, though.

At this point, I'm just waiting for Oden to show his Stand and prove once and for all that he is actually a JJBA character trying his damnedest to go the One Piece world but failing to do so each time.

Possibly the most interesting part of the chapter is Lady Toki's quest to reach Wano. Her clothing seem to indicate she's a native, yet she makes it sound like she's never been there (the then-current Wano, at least). If she's just someone like Oden who left Wano and came back later, what could be the reason why she can't remember her way back?

Was she just as poor a navigator as Oden was? Was she held captive, blindfolded, bound, and gagged, as a slave when she was taken out of Wano? Was Wano geographically different since her last "time jump" that she ended up on a different location entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    He matches all of the traits of the D family, so now we know what Samurai Luffy would have looked like.
    What do you mean by "all"? What even are these D traits? So far, the only commonality I find amongst Luffy, Ace, Garp, Dragon, Roger, Rouge, Saul, Teach, Law, and now Xebec, is the Will of Defiance (Will of D?) to the status quo..and even that was a stretch for someone like Saul.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What do you mean by "all"? What even are these D traits? So far, the only commonality I find amongst Luffy, Ace, Garp, Dragon, Roger, Rouge, Saul, Teach, Law, and now Xebec, is the Will of Defiance (Will of D?) to the status quo..and even that was a stretch for someone like Saul.
    Really? In my mind they all share a few noticeable traits; indomitable will, willingness to risk themselves recklessly to achieve their goals, devoted to fighting tyranny but not dogmatic about it.

19. - Top - End - #679

Was she just as poor a navigator as Oden was? Was she held captive, blindfolded, bound, and gagged, as a slave when she was taken out of Wano? Was Wano geographically different since her last "time jump" that she ended up on a different location entirely?
    She can't decide where she pops out time wise, and the grand line is literally impossible to navigate without the right tools.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Bugbear in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, whattaya know. Orochi was always a crafty bastard and played a looooooong game to become Shogun. I wonder who this previous owner of the clone clone fruit was that apparently orchestrated it all. And if we'll see how he died.
    And yeeeees, we do get to see Roger and his crew in action, with both known and unknown crew members around. Can't wait for the next chapter!

Flashback keeps getting more and more exciting :)
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681

So im finally getting to watch youtube clips on the original luffy/kaido fight. How much of that was over exaggerated on the part of the anime and how much actually happened in the manga? Like, I see luffy going third gear (seriously? Third freaking gear? On KAIDO?!) and punching his giant dragon forms head into the ground which accomplishes little after he blew up oden castle and luffy presumes his crew. Then a running battle where he keeps getting third gear shots shrugged off until he goes giant fist gatling gun and seems to be actually pushing dragon form kaido back a bit. I mean, most of me is flat out flabbergasted that luffy even bothered with third gear instead of going straight 4th for his opening shot when he was able to literally blindside an unsuspecting kaido full force to the back of the head, but maybe that was anime artistic license?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Flashback keeps getting more and more exciting :)
    It does. Things are a lot more complicated than they initially seemed at first glance.
    And there clearly is something very fishy going on. In particular with the first user of the Clone Fruit.

As for the Kaido fight. Opening with gear 3 were as such a wise enough choice.
    Its far less risky to use than gear 4, who has a build in time limit on its use.
    And so you absolutely cant allow yourself to get dragged into a endurance test when its running.

23. - Top - End - #683

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It does. Things are a lot more complicated than they initially seemed at first glance.
    And there clearly is something very fishy going on. In particular with the first user of the Clone Fruit.

As for the Kaido fight. Opening with gear 3 were as such a wise enough choice.
    Its far less risky to use than gear 4, who has a build in time limit on its use.
    And so you absolutely cant allow yourself to get dragged into a endurance test when its running.
    I suppose, but it also seems like when you are going to get a free shot on an unsuspecting opponent, especially a freaking yonko, you would want to make it your best shot possible. You dont hit someone with a whiffle ball bat when you have a sledgehammer handy, even if swinging the sledgehammer around will tire you out faster.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

But you do settle for the baseball bat when your taget is a freaking t-rex who might shrug off the sledgehammer blow and turn it into an endurance based slugfest.
    Or when your not entirely certain if you are dealing with an unsuspecting opponent.
    Problem is once G4 is initiallized Luffy is commited. And screwed if he doesnt have anywhere safe to recover.

25. - Top - End - #685

But you do settle for the baseball bat when your taget is a freaking t-rex who might shrug off the sledgehammer blow and turn it into an endurance based slugfest.
    Or when your not entirely certain if you are dealing with an unsuspecting opponent.
    Problem is once G4 is initiallized Luffy is commited. And screwed if he doesnt have anywhere safe to recover.
    This is true, but even so, g4 MIGHT not work, g3 DEFINITELY wont work. Thats the kind of stuff that couldnt even take down doflamingo. If your goal is to defeat one of the most physically powerful dominant forces in all the world, YOU DONT HOLD BACK! Now that being said, I dont know all of what setup this moment. I dont know if luffy opened hostilities with intent to defeat kaido, distract him, or scratch an itch on the back of his neck, im just saying that if he had any intention of actually hurting kaido he should have been dropping the hammer on him with his best and strongest ultimate attack instead of ones literally everybody on his crew, himself included, knew for a fact wouldnt do the job. I mean heck, even if he did have to stay gear three, THAT WASNT HIS MOST POWERFUL GEAR 3 MOVE!

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

And YOU dont START a what WAS it 30 MIN timer ON your ABILITY to fight.
    Especially not if your in the heart of enemy land. It would have killed Luffy at Dressrosa if he had not gotten help to hide.
    Starting in G4 is fine if you expect to be able to wear your foe down within the timer. Its less fine if he is only winded when it runs out.
    Or if he has some sort of stupid DF ability you need to plan around. As a opening move G3 is fine. We dont even have anything to say its that weaker offensive wise in a sneak attack.

27. - Top - End - #687

And YOU dont START a what WAS it 30 MIN timer ON your ABILITY to fight.
    Especially not if your in the heart of enemy land. It would have killed Luffy at Dressrosa if he had not gotten help to hide.
    Starting in G4 is fine if you expect to be able to wear your foe down within the timer. Its less fine if he is only winded when it runs out.
    Or if he has some sort of stupid DF ability you need to plan around. As a opening move G3 is fine. We dont even have anything to say its that weaker offensive wise in a sneak attack.
    Im not sure how you can think that when we see gear 3 only be really useful against weaker enemies. Luffy uses it to defeat ceaser, to defeat that don chinjou or whatever mister "garp squashed my spike" was called, and we see it utterly fail to be useful against doflamingo. How many times did gear three help in the katakuri fight? He is fighting a fricking emperor. One of the top ten strongest figures in the entire world. He might as well stick to a standard gomu gomu pistol if he is going to waste time attacking with less than his best anyways. Luffy may not be the brightest but even he should be aware that holding back against an opponent that is superior to you is not a winning strategy. Yes gear 4 has a harsh time limit, I am aware of this, but gear three has a harsh "not useful at all" limit in this fight.

28. - Top - End - #688

More Oden flashback!
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a lot! We clash with Roger, it rules, we get an example of him and Whitebeard clashing with Haki to put all you naysayers who denied Shanks and Whitebeard used it during that clash we saw cause it's the same thing, we even see a bit of what Roger can actually DO, with the Divine Departure. All in all, I'm glad Roger is exactly as cool as he shoulder be.

Also hey; Buggy's been to Skypeia. He's been everywhere. He's been to the final island. Buggy could be on Shanks' level if he even bothered to try.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    More Oden flashback!
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a lot! We clash with Roger, it rules, we get an example of him and Whitebeard clashing with Haki to put all you naysayers who denied Shanks and Whitebeard used it during that clash we saw cause it's the same thing, we even see a bit of what Roger can actually DO, with the Divine Departure. All in all, I'm glad Roger is exactly as cool as he shoulder be.

Also hey; Buggy's been to Skypeia. He's been everywhere. He's been to the final island. Buggy could be on Shanks' level if he even bothered to try.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is is that if Buggy has been to the final island (which I do find to be very likely at this point) then that means he knows where the One Piece is. For someone as selfish as Buggy to know where the allegedly greatest treasure is and not go after it must tell us something about what the One Piece is. Though I don't have any real guesses as to what.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is is that if Buggy has been to the final island (which I do find to be very likely at this point) then that means he knows where the One Piece is. For someone as selfish as Buggy to know where the allegedly greatest treasure is and not go after it must tell us something about what the One Piece is. Though I don't have any real guesses as to what.
    Or

Spoiler
    Show
    How much he respects Rodger to not go after it. Or he knows he'd have to go through a lot of crap to get to it again and he's a lazy oaf who would rather have the easy riches rather than the difficult master prize. Ya know. Plenty of other reasons.