1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mooks:Oh no, an emperor of the sea! Same as Kaido
    Luffy: Am I a joke to you?

For real, though. You know how fake his status is as a yonko if he calls Big Mom's sudden appearance a "nightmare". Big Mom no-selled the YC that no-selled kairoseki-trained haki-trained Luffy.

By the way, Queen was serious. All muscles underneath that fat.
    Luffy may not be on the same stage in terms of raw power as Big Mom or Kaido....though that's obviously going to change by the end of this arc...but he has a comparable pirate crew even before you take into consideration his alliance with the Heart Pirates, the Minks, the Samurai or Wano and anyone else that's going to join up with him. The fact remains that Luffy has the potential to be a Yonko. No one else has taken on a Yonko and survived to tell the tale. Kidd tried and lost an arm the first time. The second time he was imprisoned and his closest crew member was twisted and brainwashed and his alliance fell apart with Hawkins joining up with Kaido.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Luffy may not be on the same stage in terms of raw power as Big Mom or Kaido....though that's obviously going to change by the end of this arc...but he has a comparable pirate crew even before you take into consideration his alliance with the Heart Pirates, the Minks, the Samurai or Wano and anyone else that's going to join up with him. The fact remains that Luffy has the potential to be a Yonko. No one else has taken on a Yonko and survived to tell the tale. Kidd tried and lost an arm the first time. The second time he was imprisoned and his closest crew member was twisted and brainwashed and his alliance fell apart with Hawkins joining up with Kaido.
    Well the Yonko does have allies in the same way.
    And Crocoddile did survive taking on Whitebeard.
    While the shadow-onion guy did survive taking on Kaido even if his entire crew died.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

For trying to take on a Yonko, Luffy was thrown in jail with seastone cuffs and the chief jailer could actually keep him in place.

If big momma hadn't conveniently showed up to save the day just at the right moment, Luffy would be stuck watching his new friends drown to death and probably die next.

Just saying, Luffy was pretty close to becoming yet another example of "don't directly mess with a Yonko."

All muscles underneath that fat.
    If you watch the weight lifting olympics, you'll notice the champions have quite a bit of fat.

Fat between skins and muscle is both natural and necessary as energy reserve if you plan to go do any kind of long heavy effort.

If you want muscles to show like shown in models, actors and media, you need to follow a pretty specific diet that can very easily become unhealthy because too few fat and your body will start cannibalizing the muscles for energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And Crocoddile did survive taking on Whitebeard.
    Wait, when did that happen?

Also, a million things happening again, not sure what to talk about.. Maybe Zoro making Sanji jealous?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I mean, obviously, this is the guy who would be the Pirate King. The point is that he's not quite there yet based on Queen's showings.

There are a lot of individuals that survived by themselves after confronting a Yonkou, as already mentioned (Croc, Moria, Kidd (2x, mind you), and Luffy). To be honest Luffy's confrontation with Big Mom was less impressive when you consider the number of backup that supported him (Sun Pirates, Germa 66, and Firetank Pirates). All of them didn't get out scot-free, as either your crew or your ally crew ended up paying the price.

Of course our savior Buggy-sama technically counts in the history books after confronting Shanks and threatening Whitebeard, with no visible injury sustained. Not to mentioned confronting Mihawk who claimed he was trying to test the extent of Luffy's strength (unlike when he barely made effort OHKOing Zoro), and he was someone who regularly sparred before with a Yonkou.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, obviously, this is the guy who would be the Pirate King. The point is that he's not quite there yet based on Queen's showings.

There are a lot of individuals that survived by themselves after confronting a Yonkou, as already mentioned (Croc, Moria, Kidd (2x, mind you), and Luffy). To be honest Luffy's confrontation with Big Mom was less impressive when you consider the number of backup that supported him (Sun Pirates, Germa 66, and Firetank Pirates). All of them didn't get out scot-free, as either your crew or your ally crew ended up paying the price.

Of course our savior Buggy-sama technically counts in the history books after confronting Shanks and threatening Whitebeard, with no visible injury sustained. Not to mentioned confronting Mihawk who claimed he was trying to test the extent of Luffy's strength (unlike when he barely made effort OHKOing Zoro), and he was someone who regularly sparred before with a Yonkou.
    Heck, didnt jinbe and brook do better against big mom than luffy? I know the soul king got stomped on, with cleats, but he didnt go down like a chump, and I think jinbe actually HIT big mom during their escape. Luffy has proven, extensively, that he is a yonko commander level fighter. But we have seen the gap between yonko commander and yonko is a very massive one. Until he can STOMP commander level opponents, he aint no yonko. As for buggy, come on. I know thats part of the joke but he never once attacked a yonko. Not even shanks. Whitebeard I think recognized him as that brat on rogers crew with the red nose and thought he was funny, giving him the excuse of a "temporary truce" he needed to back down without escalating to a half second "fight" As for mihawk, he didnt fight mihawk, he got cut to ribbons by someone who was fighting luffy with kid gloves. An ounce of haki in that blade and buggy would have been toast.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, when did that happen?
    Before Crocodille gave up in the new world and became a Warlord.
    He mentioted his defeat at the War of the Best when WB got wounded.

As for mihawk, he didnt fight mihawk, he got cut to ribbons by someone who was fighting luffy with kid gloves. An ounce of haki in that blade and buggy would have been toast.
    Please dont state that theory like a fact.
    Its before the timeskip, we cant see if Mihawk used Haki or not.

8. - Top - End - #278

Before Crocodille gave up in the new world and became a Warlord.
    He mentioted his defeat at the War of the Best when WB got wounded.

Please dont state that theory like a fact.
    Its before the timeskip, we cant see if Mihawk used Haki or not.
    We know what haki does, and somehow I doubt the part part fruit makes him any more immune to it than it makes luffy immune to blunt force trauma when infused with haki like on amazon lily. Plus, come on, this is mihawk versus rookie luffy, haki would have been overkill against someone who doesnt have any (trained) to counter.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

We know what haki does, and somehow I doubt the part part fruit makes him any more immune to it than it makes luffy immune to blunt force trauma when infused with haki like on amazon lily. Plus, come on, this is mihawk versus rookie luffy, haki would have been overkill against someone who doesnt have any (trained) to counter.
    We only have a rough idea what haki actually.
    And Luffy's ability isnt to be immune to blunt force trauma. Its to be made of rubber.
    Rob Luccy were still able to harm him.

Buggy's ability meanwhile is to freely split his body up as he pleases and reconnect with no harm.
    And heck, what are Mihawk going to do? he cant cut Buggy deeper than 100% though.
    Thats quite easy by the way. The problem is Buggy just reconnect.

For that matter, Mihawk did not seem to recognize the concept of overkill.
    When he swung at chapter 561 then the miss casually cleaved a mountain sized glacier.
    Of course, he was at a warzone where several people were strong enough to fight him.
    Not going all out could get him killed.

Also as a final detail.
    Mihawk attacked Buggy twice in a row.
    I can understand perhaps him being lax with using Haki on his first attack.
    But when that didnt do anything, then he should have used it on his second attack.

10. - Top - End - #280

We only have a rough idea what haki actually.
    And Luffy's ability isnt to be immune to blunt force trauma. Its to be made of rubber.
    Rob Luccy were still able to harm him.

Buggy's ability meanwhile is to freely split his body up as he pleases and reconnect with no harm.
    And heck, what are Mihawk going to do? he cant cut Buggy deeper than 100% though.
    Thats quite easy by the way. The problem is Buggy just reconnect.

For that matter, Mihawk did not seem to recognize the concept of overkill.
    When he swung at chapter 561 then the miss casually cleaved a mountain sized glacier.
    Of course, he was at a warzone where several people were strong enough to fight him.
    Not going all out could get him killed.

Also as a final detail.
    Mihawk attacked Buggy twice in a row.
    I can understand perhaps him being lax with using Haki on his first attack.
    But when that didnt do anything, then he should have used it on his second attack.
    And then he casually plinked buggy away with his own bomb. Mihawk was fighting absolutely nothing worthy of effort, iirc wasnt it luffy using buggy as a human shield? Mihawk flat out didnt care about buggy because he is fully aware that buggy is a nobody. He was trying to cut down luffy, and aside from that one "Let me demonstrate how weak you are compared to me" moment where he decided to cut a glacier in half with casual ease, he mostly toyed with luffy. Even when he caught luffy with his beam attack it acted more like a blunt force wave than anything meant to cut, it just cannoned luffy into a wall. Dude was playing with luffy. Or do you honestly think the guy who constantly picks fights with a yonko was actually struggling to defeat luffy?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think buggy comes up under the same rule as Logia users i.e. the attack still has to hit them. If they alter their forms fast enough that they are able to dodge even a haki infused miss is still a miss.

We see this with Kizaru in particular during Marineford along with Crocodile.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And then he casually plinked buggy away with his own bomb. Mihawk was fighting absolutely nothing worthy of effort, iirc wasnt it luffy using buggy as a human shield? Mihawk flat out didnt care about buggy because he is fully aware that buggy is a nobody. He was trying to cut down luffy, and aside from that one "Let me demonstrate how weak you are compared to me" moment where he decided to cut a glacier in half with casual ease, he mostly toyed with luffy. Even when he caught luffy with his beam attack it acted more like a blunt force wave than anything meant to cut, it just cannoned luffy into a wall. Dude was playing with luffy. Or do you honestly think the guy who constantly picks fights with a yonko was actually struggling to defeat luffy?
    It was a critcal battle against the White Beard and his crew and a bunch of other big name pirates.

Why would Mihawk waste time playing around instead of finishing it as fast as he could to move to another/bigger opponent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Mihawk straight up say "My apologies Redhair, i wont hold myself back"
    And continues with "Now then Fate, the next generations golden child.. is he finished now.. or will he somehow escape my black blade"
    The ranged strike that he send after Luffy also mostly seemed to make him slip, it still cut him.
    But yes he was perhaps not going 100 %. He did waste time taunting Luffy.

And Luffy did use Buggy as a human shield. That got him cutten in ½.
    It didnt work, so Mihawk tried to cut him into 2-3 cm slices.
    He has not exactly proven himself merciful with those that gets in his way.
    He also cant know that Buggy is a nobody. So was luffy about ½ a year ago.
    Thats why, when the first attack failed to cut Buggy, that it would be quite weird to not start using haki on the second strike.

Its also why i think its far more likely that Haki simply doesnt bypasses Buggy's fruit.
    Since its not a Logia. His power is litterally that his body can split apart.
    Swords and blades does split him apart. His powerthen just means he dont care about it.

14. - Top - End - #284

Well that was a fun chapter. Dinosaur's being dragons are fun a concept.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

New chapter.

I can't wait to see this animated.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was unexpected. I guess part of Luffy is suicidal? And grandpa clearly wants both of them to die. Too bad.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess it's time for Queen to sing "Mama, just killed a man..." Like last chapter, this really shows the gap between a yonkou and their commanders. Even an amnesiac, "altruistic", and "innocent" version of Big Mom is pummeling Queen quite easily. The same Queen who effortlessly deflected Luffy's attack just chapters ago.

This chapter indirectly illustrates just how tough Capone Bege's Big Father form is. Sire, he was losing, most everyone tend do that against a yonkou, but he didn't get thrown around like a ragdoll the way Queen did.

Also, looks like Luffy did something similar to Rayleigh's trick back in Sabaody.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

18. - Top - End - #288

This chapter felt real good. It's a really weird and out of nowhere arc for Big Mom to get amnesia and become a good person but I mean maybe it has to do with the fact that she spent her youth abandoned and mistreated and degraded by others. With all that washed away she's still... nice, ish, but has a temper due to developmental issues.

Also heck yeah Luffy getting stronger and doing a wrestle with a yonko. I wonder how this "training" will go.

unrelated to all of this how the **** is Caribou still in this story. He's one of the most genuinely disgusting people in this series and because he's one of the only people in this world with the audacity to eat a phone he's integral to the plot.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This chapter felt real good. It's a really weird and out of nowhere arc for Big Mom to get amnesia and become a good person but I mean maybe it has to do with the fact that she spent her youth abandoned and mistreated and degraded by others. With all that washed away she's still... nice, ish, but has a temper due to developmental issues.

Also heck yeah Luffy getting stronger and doing a wrestle with a yonko. I wonder how this "training" will go.

unrelated to all of this how the **** is Caribou still in this story. He's one of the most genuinely disgusting people in this series and because he's one of the only people in this world with the audacity to eat a phone he's integral to the plot.
    I'd say the training arc for Luffy is done now. It's time to see the actual results of his training to see if he can do what he was trying.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I'd say the training arc for Luffy is done now. It's time to see the actual results of his training to see if he can do what he was trying.
    It's a bit... I mean, yeah, he was training and he knew what he was looking for but in the end his new skill is unlocked because of... adrenalin? Common shonen power up juice. *coughmhadiditbettercough* it's not bad but it's not.. Exceptional.

Not that I like Caribou, but I'm more bothered by the sudden (?) exposition on how snail networks work. It feels a bit forced into the plot all of a sudden.
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #291

Luffy chugs that generic shounen nakama powerup juice like it's going out of style, yeah.

To be fair that's this arc in general. It's very packed (and I think they discussed in slightly earlier).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

I dont think its quite as bad as people make it out to be.
    For Luffy this chapter has been a very large training episode.
    And since his collar wasnt called out as being seastone, then i dont find it unlikely he could break it with his bare fist.
    Actually, so far i dont think he has done anything worthy of a powerup.

And yes he will likely manage to beat Big Mom off.
    But its one thats severly crippled by a lack of memory and fighting experience.

23. - Top - End - #293

I dont think its quite as bad as people make it out to be.
    For Luffy this chapter has been a very large training episode.
    And since his collar wasnt called out as being seastone, then i dont find it unlikely he could break it with his bare fist.
    Actually, so far i dont think he has done anything worthy of a powerup.

And yes he will likely manage to beat Big Mom off.
    But its one thats severly crippled by a lack of memory and fighting experience.
    The collars are supposed to fire off the instant they get tampered with. He flung them up with such speed and forth they did not have time to go off until they were safe.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

The collars are supposed to fire off the instant they get tampered with. He flung them up with such speed and forth they did not have time to go off until they were safe.
    We wasnt told anything about the collars going in such a situation in chaper 936 where they were introduced.

So he just got them off before they were knocked out of the ring.
    That is fast. But Luffy has already shown himself to be stupidly fast.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

At first I wasn't impressed.

Then I realised, dropping an 80ton brahiosaurus on her
    Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    did no damage at all. She didn't get knocked out. She got exhausted, because changing personality ended her frenzy... Queen has some protagonist-level luck.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well expections denied!
    Luffy did not get a protagonist powerful. He got a one-way ticket to the rock wall

And yeah of course this didnt do any damage to Big Mom. It was kinda foolish to expect otherwise.
    Queen could take 100% the same hit and still function.
    But all the same, i think pretty good crisis leadership from Queen.
    He got a handle on the main priority, and delegated the rest to his #2.

Its just a problem Luffy got free in all the chaos.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this was a fun chapter. I'm not totally sure how exactly ryou works but then again, I don't know how haki works, so...
    "What's done is done."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup. It makes so much sense to let Kaido waste time dealing with Big Mom than just drowning her in a few "centimeters of water", as Queen put it. Or maybe feed her a second devil fruit.

As confirmed, the updated version of that Sabaody scene has Rayleigh actually using armament haki and blackening his fists in the process. This internal destruction haki stuff is reminiscent of Sai's hasshouken, aka using vibration to bypass physical defense and deal internal damage.

Udon might really end up being the Luffy's base of operations, what with the bulk of rebels being there.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yup. It makes so much sense to let Kaido waste time dealing with Big Mom than just drowning her in a few "centimeters of water", as Queen put it. Or maybe feed her a second devil fruit.
    It does when you think about it. Queen is cut off from the Den-Den network, so he cant dial Kaido for instructions.
    And Big Mom is to important. He dont know what killing her would do.
    Handing her back would likely mean peace with her crew. Killing her would certainly mean all out war.

Besides that there is Kaido himself, who have known BM for a long time.
    Killing her could risk making Kaido angry.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I imagine it would be like if post-Luffy, Zoro and Sanji became captains. They might kill each other, but anyone else doing it would be out of line.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".