Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Or

Spoiler
    Show
    How much he respects Rodger to not go after it. Or he knows he'd have to go through a lot of crap to get to it again and he's a lazy oaf who would rather have the easy riches rather than the difficult master prize. Ya know. Plenty of other reasons.
    This, he went to the east blue because he wanted an easy pirate life amongst the weakest of opponents who he could rule over with ease. He didnt want to give up the pirate life, but it was going to be so much EASIER to trade off his new world vet reputation to effectively take over that sea and get all the treasure and respect he wanted with the least effort or danger. We have seen he is a bit of a personal coward. Maybe willing to do what it takes when the time comes, but he isnt really the type to seek it out. Im pretty sure he took on the warlord title specifically because it meant the marines would leave him alone and the rep boost would make other pirates do the same while letting him build up a fortune. So yeah,
    Spoiler
    Show
    even if he does know where it is, he has absolutely no interest in going through that much danger for a prize that would make him a hunted man for the rest of his very short life. And he also would never let anyone else know how to get there as he isnt going to give out the title to anyone else.
    There may be more to it than just that, but that is, I think, the primary explanation.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #692

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing is is that if Buggy has been to the final island (which I do find to be very likely at this point) then that means he knows where the One Piece is. For someone as selfish as Buggy to know where the allegedly greatest treasure is and not go after it must tell us something about what the One Piece is. Though I don't have any real guesses as to what.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While the others are mentioning that his desire to be lazy is probably his primary motivation, I think it's important to note that the instant he caught whiff of Captain John's Treasure he went out to find it. So I personally thing Lizard Lord here is, mostly, correct.

My read has always been that Buggy doesn't just know where One Piece is, but knows WHAT it is... and as a result has ZERO interest in it. But Captain John's Treasure, well... that's treasure. Of some sort! So he'll hunt that down immediately.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Well it is a good point. We can see there are a lot of surviving Roger Pirates scattered around.
    And none of them has done anything to directly help anyone to find Rogers treasure.
    Only encourage them to do so.

Though on the other side. I could also easily imagine that there actually is a regular treasure.
    Rogers share of the plunder they made.

But that all the surviving Roger pirates swore an oath to leave it there.
    I dont think its unreasonable that Buggy would stick to such an oath.
    As i recall we did see him cry at Rogers execution in one of the flashbacks?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well it is a good point. We can see there are a lot of surviving Roger Pirates scattered around.
    And none of them has done anything to directly help anyone to find Rogers treasure.
    Only encourage them to do so.

Though on the other side. I could also easily imagine that there actually is a regular treasure.
    Rogers share of the plunder they made.

But that all the surviving Roger pirates swore an oath to leave it there.
    I dont think its unreasonable that Buggy would stick to such an oath.
    As i recall we did see him cry at Rogers execution in one of the flashbacks?
    Perhaps, but his origin story surrounded him trying to steal a devil fruit from the Roger Pirates in order to sell it. He did so by trying to take advantage of a rule Roger set while having no intention of following that rule. (Roger said that whoever wanted to eat the Devil Fruit could have it, but Buggy intended on only pretending to eat it.)
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-12-24 at 05:12 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

yes. Though there is a difference between a rule Roger made, and his dying wish.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: chapter 997
    Show
    So it turns out Shanks and Buggy didn't go with Roger to see the One Piece. As apprentices they may also not have been filled in on the details on how to get there beyond needing the Red Poneglyphs.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2020-01-06 at 03:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #697

Spoiler: chapter 997
    Show
    So it turns out Shanks and Buggy didn't go with Roger to see the One Piece. As apprentices they may also not have been filled in on the details on how to get there beyond needing the Red Poneglyphs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Womp wooomp. I feel kinda bad about this... though it is sweet of Shanks to stay behind to help with his friend. Which likely only made their relationship worse.

Also I love how, nearly a thousand chapters later, it turns out Raftel was Laugh Tale the whole time. Welp.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Though it does give me a couple theories with varying degrees of tinfoil hat-ness. First theory is that Shanks will rescue Buggy from the World Government (to Buggy's annoyance I am sure). Buggy was arrested before, true, but Shanks may not have heard of that one since Buggy wasn't famous until and thus wouldn't have any media attention on him. However Shanks, and the rest of the world, knows about the warlords being dismantled and thus would know that Buggy is in the process of being arrested by the World Government.

The second and theory is that, when the Stawhats arrive at Lodestone Island the Red Hairs will be waiting for them. Shanks would then challenge Luffy to a Davy Backfight (thus giving that arc a reason to exist). The idea being that if Luffy wins Shanks will acquiesce his own dream in favor of Luffy's. If Shanks wins he will demand what or whoever he would need from Luffy's crew to find Laugh Tale himself.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2020-01-07 at 03:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not gonna lie when I started reading your post my mind went immediately to "oh you're going to say ShanksxBuggy" and... I mean kind of you did.

Also yeah having Luffy fight Shanks in a Davy Back Fight would be great. It'd be a way less intense arc action wise, but still intense stakes, and a nice bit of calm before the storm.

10. - Top - End - #700

Spoiler
    Show
    Though it does give me a couple theories with varying degrees of tinfoil hat-ness. First theory is that Shanks will rescue Buggy from the World Government (to Buggy's annoyance I am sure). Buggy was arrested before, true, but Shanks may not have heard of that one since Buggy wasn't famous until and thus wouldn't have any media attention on him. However Shanks, and the rest of the world, knows about the warlords being dismantled and thus would know that Buggy is in the process of being arrested by the World Government.

The second and crazier theory is that, when the Stawhats arrive at Lodestone Island the Red Hairs will be waiting for them. Shanks would then challenge Luffy to a Davy Backfight (thus giving that arc a reason to exist). The idea being that if Luffy wins Shanks will acquiesce his own dream in favor of Luffy's. If Shanks wins he will demand what or whoever he would need from Luffy's crew to find Laugh Tale himself.
    As a point of order, buggy is actually pretty famous since marineford, being revealed as a member of gold rogers crew. So the marines would probably be happy to announce his execution under normal scenarios. The only reason they would keep it quiet is because he WAS technically an employee of the world government so announcing his execution might reflect badly on them as they employed him in the first place. Im sure they could spin it easily enough though if they wanted some positive press for killing famous criminals.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not gonna lie when I started reading your post my mind went immediately to "oh you're going to say ShanksxBuggy" and... I mean kind of you did.

Platonically and one sided, but yea.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah.. no im sorry. But both of those theories are kinda crazy.
    To start with because i think it likely that Roger, or one of his crew members, would have told both Buggy and Shanks about the last island.
    And that else, if Shanks really had wanted to go. Then he would have made more of a move towards doing so.
    Instead it seems clear he were comfortable settling in as a Emperor of the sea.

13. - Top - End - #703

To start with because i think it likely that Roger, or one of his crew members, would have told both Buggy and Shanks about the last island.
    And that else, if Shanks really had wanted to go. Then he would have made more of a move towards doing so.
    He was like ****ing 12 Khaine he wanted to stay back with his good good clown friend who had a tummy ache. This is canon it was right on the page. I highly doubt anyone talked about what they say on Laugh Tale because, canonically, only the people who went there and the Dragons know what's there. The idea that Robin MIGHT be able to know how to get to that island made her a multi million berri bounty. If Buggy knew jack **** about the island he'd be dead right now.

Shank's became a yonko far, far after Gol Roger died. People don't even know he and Buggy were part of his crew in universe.

14. - Top - End - #704

He was like ****ing 12 Khaine he wanted to stay back with his good good clown friend who had a tummy ache. This is canon it was right on the page. I highly doubt anyone talked about what they say on Laugh Tale because, canonically, only the people who went there and the Dragons know what's there. The idea that Robin MIGHT be able to know how to get to that island made her a multi million berri bounty. If Buggy knew jack **** about the island he'd be dead right now.

Shank's became a yonko far, far after Gol Roger died. People don't even know he and Buggy were part of his crew in universe.
    Well they know about buggy now, it got out at marineford. And I think they made the connection to shanks as well at the same battle but im a little fuzzy on how the whole buggy/shanks interaction went before they got out of there. Didnt whitebeard know about it too? If anyone would it would be him seeing as he and roger were actually friends. Friendly rivals? Drinking buddies?

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Well they know about buggy now, it got out at marineford. And I think they made the connection to shanks as well at the same battle but im a little fuzzy on how the whole buggy/shanks interaction went before they got out of there. Didnt whitebeard know about it too? If anyone would it would be him seeing as he and roger were actually friends. Friendly rivals? Drinking buddies?
    Fair point, I forgot if people in modern day know about it. The information that they do or don't know the secret is ultimately irrelevant since all three of the people you mentioned are incredibly powerful, so raising their bounty even more does nothing; they're already too strong to kill in any reasonable sense.

Or in the case of Buggy, just right enough to try and get rid of.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Shanks didn't want them telling him (or Buggy, and I could see people not actually listening to Buggy's opinion on this) what was on Laugh Tale. He wanted him and Buggy to go on their own and see for themselves. Otherwise he would have asked the crew to tell what they see instead of saying they can go themselves.

Also I had already mentioned that they may not have been told on how to get there beyond needing the Red Poneglyphs. Which would put Shanks in the same boat as all of the other Emperors.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2020-01-09 at 01:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah **ing nope. They were old enough to travel with Roger.
    They would have gone with him for the last trip, if not for an unexpected case of sickness.
    Or someone staying behind to look after a friend. Rogers entire remaining crew saw what were on that isle.
    So of course Shanks and Buggy would be told about it. They would deserve as much.

Shanks didn't want them telling him (or Buggy, and I could see people not actually listening to Buggy's opinion on this) what was on Laugh Tale. He wanted him and Buggy to go on their own and see for themselves. Otherwise he would have asked the crew to tell what they see instead of saying they can go themselves.
    Shanks just said that if he wanted to see it he would go there himself.
    That doesnt rule out him later being told the secrets they find on the last isle.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah **ing nope. They were old enough to travel with Roger.
    As cabin boys. Whoooo....you know the average age for seamen in the Royal Navy wasn't much higher than that? Like, in the real world? Their age doesn't matter.

So of course Shanks and Buggy would be told about it. They would deserve as much.
    Prove it.

Shanks just said that if he wanted to see it he would go there himself.
    That doesnt rule out him later being told the secrets they find on the last isle.
    This makes the least sense of anything. Hey, I know I wanna go and see this place for myself but why don't you just tell me everything you saw there so it won't surprise me at all! Thanks!

Nonsense.

19. - Top - End - #709

New Chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    We get to see some really good "narration says one thing, action shows another" moments here, and we finally return to Wano in the flashback... and get to the fated day. Oden is going to slice Orochi in half... and since we know how this goes, it's time to prepare for the unlimited sadness.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

As cabin boys. Whoooo....you know the average age for seamen in the Royal Navy wasn't much higher than that? Like, in the real world? Their age doesn't matter.
    Ahem.. have we been reading the same manga? did you go wrong on the title?
    This isnt One Royal Navy, its One PIECE. At what point have we seen either of them get treated like they were less important?
    Yeah.. though so.

Prove it.
    Why dont you try and drag out some sort of evidence towards the contrary?

This makes the least sense of anything. Hey, I know I wanna go and see this place for myself but why don't you just tell me everything you saw there so it won't surprise me at all! Thanks!
    Nonsense.
    The only nonsense here is that it would be kept secret for them.
    Oh.. and what do you know? the latest chapter actually DOES directly show that Shanks asked Roger something

21. - Top - End - #711

The only nonsense here is that it would be kept secret for them.
    Oh.. and what do you know? the latest chapter actually DOES directly show that Shanks asked Roger something
    I mean Shanks feels like the short to just not ask what is at the end, so he can find it for himself. That's how he appears, character wise.

Given the obvious impression that Gol was to Shanks how Shanks was to Luffy, he was probably asking if he'll really die soon.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Why dont you try and drag out some sort of evidence towards the contrary?
    I can't comment on the last chapter but this? This isn't how burden of proof works. You have the burden of proof to give evidence to the claim. Not mine to show you're wrong. Even if I can't prove you wrong it doesn't mean you're right to assume something you also have no evidence for.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

Soooo, how come the super legendary pirate king only had one normal-looking ship and a few dozens worth of crew?

Even minor pirates have been shown to be able to raise small fleets, and the big pirates control big fleets if not whole countries.
    Even Luffy nowadays has his own fleet and thousands of allies ready to answer his call outside his "main" crew.

So Gol.D Roger's biggest claim to fame is... Having sailed really far and finding "something" that nobody else actually ever saw?

Shouldn't the title of "pirate king" had gone to one of the other pirates that actually carved their own empire and commanded large fleets to threaten large areas of the map instead of that dude with a single ship that may've been just hallucinating from his terminal disease for all everybody knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

24. - Top - End - #714
    Barbarian in the Playground

Given the obvious impression that Gol was to Shanks how Shanks was to Luffy, he was probably asking if he'll really die soon.
    Yeah, I imagine Shanks asked something along the lines of "don't tell me what you've found, but did it include something that could cure your illness?".

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Soooo, how come the super legendary pirate king only had one normal-looking ship and a few dozens worth of crew?

Even minor pirates have been shown to be able to raise small fleets, and the big pirates control big fleets if not whole countries.
    Even Luffy nowadays has his own fleet and thousands of allies ready to answer his call outside his "main" crew.

So Gol.D Roger's biggest claim to fame is... Having sailed really far and finding "something" that nobody else actually ever saw?

Shouldn't the title of "pirate king" had gone to one of the other pirates that actually carved their own empire and commanded large fleets to threaten large areas of the map instead of that dude with a single ship that may've been just hallucinating from his terminal disease for all everybody knew?

so...a few things.

1. Doesn't matter how big his boat is or was. He had up until then made a name for himself as a dangerous pirate, having fought countless big names from a ton of other crews. His small ship was equal to Whitebeard's whole crew. That says something right there.

2. Luffy doesn't have a fleet. Like, literally declined it in series. They're his friends and he can call on them but we have no idea what sort of allies Gol made along the way. We see a few of them, including Neptune.

3. Everyone on board of Roger's Ship saw the truth of the Void Century. It wasn't just a hallucination. They bore witness to it. Rayleigh confirms it and they say as much in this flashback. You'd have to ignore literal Word of God to believe otherwise.

4. Roger was the Captain. He gets the title.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm pretty sure Roger became (in)famous as the Pirate King because he conquered the Grandline with a single ship and a small crew.

That place eats entire armadas as late afternoon snacks.
    If lots of ships and men were enough we would be reading about that Don Greg guy* from the Baratie arc.

*Krieg? Creek? He looks like a Greg.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #717

Krieg, as in war, yeah.

But yeah the FACT that Roger did all that with a tiny boat and a handful of strong boys is, like, half of why he's the pirate king at all. He took on something a fleet couldn't do and won. The other reason is, as we've outright seen with Nico Robin, if you know anything, if you COULD KNOW anything about the Void Century, they will inflate your bounty to astronomical levels.

28. - Top - End - #718

Anybody have any reasonable guesses about how powerful luffy will be when he sails away from wano? Will he reach the point of still being unable to beat a yonko, but no longer getting stomped by them? Will he graduate to taking TWO shots from kaido before being crushed? Will he bloody the mans lip? Will he force feed mama to kaido in dragon form and force him to choke to death on her?

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Anybody have any reasonable guesses about how powerful luffy will be when he sails away from wano? Will he reach the point of still being unable to beat a yonko, but no longer getting stomped by them? Will he graduate to taking TWO shots from kaido before being crushed? Will he bloody the mans lip? Will he force feed mama to kaido in dragon form and force him to choke to death on her?
    I feel, like in Big Mom's arc, Luffy is gonna get a shot in but otherwise retreat while Mom and Kaido kick the **** out of each other.

Alternatively it takes literally every single Straw Hat and Samurai together as one to take Kaido down, with even a single step out of place making it become an instant failure.

30. - Top - End - #720

I feel, like in Big Mom's arc, Luffy is gonna get a shot in but otherwise retreat while Mom and Kaido kick the **** out of each other.

Alternatively it takes literally every single Straw Hat and Samurai together as one to take Kaido down, with even a single step out of place making it become an instant failure.
    I like the alternative. Maybe even combine it with, big mom weakened kaido to the point where it was possible for everyone else to finish him off before she was forced to retreat. And whats his face, news man morgan will of course spin it as the great emperor luffy with his smashing victory over kaido as big mom flees with her tail between her legs. And now luffy hits a true yonko level bounty of 3 billion. Zoro and Sanji close in on their own billion mark as his yonko commanders.