New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece VI: Wano Piece

Yeah but if he reads the paper he should be aware that luffy isnt just another supernova.
    How much do you trust what you read in the paper?
    How much would you trust the paper in the world of OP?

And even if he had read the paper, it would not say anything about him beating Dogtooth.
    Thats the only bit that should make Queen doubt if he can handle Luffy.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    How much do you trust what you read in the paper?
    How much would you trust the paper in the world of OP?

And even if he had read the paper, it would not say anything about him beating Dogtooth.
    Thats the only bit that should make Queen doubt if he can handle Luffy.
    What? You mean him destroying Mingo's country doesn't matter?

We don't know how powerful Queen is but he is still stupidly cocky.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    So, first you disagree with me, then you agree with me?

Look, I'm not referring to just going in for a straight up battle, I was referring to the escape portion of the program. The one that was being referenced as "It's insane that after these 3 named factors double crossed them and all the massive screw ups on the family's part that they STILL had such an insane time getting away!".

Yeah, they had those things, but again, they didn't go in with all they could have loaded up and ready to bust out at a timely moment.

Now yes, they would have taken losses. Of course they would have, never said they wouldn't. And yes, there was still the problem of Big Mom being more than any one of them could handle, I even acknowledged that. Indeed, the fact that so far Luffy has butted heads with 2 Yonko personally and couldn't accomplish squat in that personal physical confrontation is why I maintain, if Oda's Going to have Luffy and Shanks keep the promise effectively an not just kill Shanks off against Blackbeard or something (which would be needless, Luffy already wants Blackbeards head for what happened to Ace to Advance Blackbeards plans.), Luffy needs to get too that level were he can square up with a Yonko and at least have a decent chance at winning.

And his core crew need to get to were they can deal with a Yonko's core crew at a mostly even keel.
    I was about halfway through my post when I realized maybe you didnt mean going in with guns blazing so I included the option of everything went as it did but the addition of his full forces during the escape added to the mix. My main point about the losses was, those people are gone now. Luffys grand fleet would have likely gotten at least somewhat decimated, which means the pool of allies we know about grows that much smaller before any final confrontations. As of right now, we can only really count on the grand fleet being there for luffy at the final showdown. Yes all these other groups very well might show up to join in, such as the rebel forces lead by dragon and sabo, amazon lily lead by hancock, alabasta, dressrosa, etc. But those are likely to be "surprise twists" at best. A sort of "You were there for us, now we are here for you!" moral booster moment, so at least narrative wise it makes sense why luffy didnt call in the fleet. Also he probably expected to be able to go in, get sanji back, and get out without it turning into world war 3. I doubt he really understood just how many forces a yonko could command. Even whitebeard didnt have a force that size.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, its revealed at last whats in the mysterious cage.
    Another mythological being, and seemingly a really badass one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, Kawamatsu one of the top three combatants that Kinemon mentioned wanting to find recruit earlier, along with Boy Ashura/Shutenmaru, so we can expect him to be on or near Yonkou commander level like Shutenmaru is.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

What? You mean him destroying Mingo's country doesn't matter?

We don't know how powerful Queen is but he is still stupidly cocky.
    That destruction was in part caused by a slave revolt, so its a little hard to reliably say much about Luffy's strenght from that.
    Especially since it both require reliable newspapers to pass said knowlede. And Queen to read said newspapers despite living in a extremely isolated country.

And being the left hand man of a Yonko, then Queen is more or less a walking force of nature.
    so i think its quite understandable if he does not take young punks like Luffy seriously.
    Especially not if he has been told he went down to a single blow from Kaido.

Heck, for that matter, its only stupidly cocky if he could not take Luffy in a straight up fight.

Actually, Kawamatsu one of the top three combatants that Kinemon mentioned wanting to find recruit earlier, along with Boy Ashura/Shutenmaru, so we can expect him to be on or near Yonkou commander level like Shutenmaru is.
    Yes we were directly told his name?
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2019-03-16 at 12:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Yes we were directly told his name?
    Yup, back in chapter 921. Still missing the third (Kenjiro). But who knows who that guy Zoro is fighting right now is... ;)

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I was about halfway through my post when I realized maybe you didnt mean going in with guns blazing so I included the option of everything went as it did but the addition of his full forces during the escape added to the mix. My main point about the losses was, those people are gone now. Luffys grand fleet would have likely gotten at least somewhat decimated, which means the pool of allies we know about grows that much smaller before any final confrontations. As of right now, we can only really count on the grand fleet being there for luffy at the final showdown. Yes all these other groups very well might show up to join in, such as the rebel forces lead by dragon and sabo, amazon lily lead by hancock, alabasta, dressrosa, etc. But those are likely to be "surprise twists" at best. A sort of "You were there for us, now we are here for you!" moral booster moment, so at least narrative wise it makes sense why luffy didnt call in the fleet. Also he probably expected to be able to go in, get sanji back, and get out without it turning into world war 3. I doubt he really understood just how many forces a yonko could command. Even whitebeard didnt have a force that size.
    Ehhh, I seem to remember White Beard having a sizeable force. Plus, again, the problem is how ridiculously strong Whitebeard was personally. That close to death and he still went toe to toe with Akinue and came seconds and inches from straight up murdering Blackbeard after having 2 gaping holes put in his chest and against Blackbeards Yami Yami no Mi. That's nothing to sneeze at.

And again, the primary take aways from my posts were intended to be 1: Luffy and his core crew REALLY need to up there game before Wano's over, or before meeting Shanks if there's somehow a leg of the journey between the End of Wano and meeting Shanks, and 2: Yeah, they had a hell of a time getting away, but that COULD have been much less difficult time.

Also an aside regarding Boa, she might be signing on and showing back up sooner rather than later, given that it looks like The Warlord system is going to be gone, and I'm wagering she's high on the list of people the Marines are going to come for once that's gone. So, I could see Boa looking to sign on with Luffy in the near future, after having to Evacuate Amazon Lily.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Yup, back in chapter 921. Still missing the third (Kenjiro). But who knows who that guy Zoro is fighting right now is... ;)
    No i meant, why are you telling me stuff that was directly mentioned in the latest manga chapter?

9. - Top - End - #69

Ehhh, I seem to remember White Beard having a sizeable force. Plus, again, the problem is how ridiculously strong Whitebeard was personally. That close to death and he still went toe to toe with Akinue and came seconds and inches from straight up murdering Blackbeard after having 2 gaping holes put in his chest and against Blackbeards Yami Yami no Mi. That's nothing to sneeze at.

And again, the primary take aways from my posts were intended to be 1: Luffy and his core crew REALLY need to up there game before Wano's over, or before meeting Shanks if there's somehow a leg of the journey between the End of Wano and meeting Shanks, and 2: Yeah, they had a hell of a time getting away, but that COULD have been much less difficult time.

Also an aside regarding Boa, she might be signing on and showing back up sooner rather than later, given that it looks like The Warlord system is going to be gone, and I'm wagering she's high on the list of people the Marines are going to come for once that's gone. So, I could see Boa looking to sign on with Luffy in the near future, after having to Evacuate Amazon Lily.
    He had something like 43 ships I think? Also, not sure how many were his and how many were friends and allies. Meanwhile big mom had a fairly HUGE fleet. And an army to back it up. But yeah, considering whitebeard had 43 ships, shanks as far as we know has 1, blackbeard doesnt exactly have a huge fleet, I think luffy can be forgiven for not being aware that he was going to be dealing with a massive army.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #70

No i meant, why are you telling me stuff that was directly mentioned in the latest manga chapter?
    Err, because your comment didn't sound like you had realized that at all. We had already learned who he was one week earlier, and "mythological being" didn't sound too much like "one of Oden's top three warriors". Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I were refering to how the siluette we saw, and his laught, made it pretty likely its a kappa who are inside the cage.

12. - Top - End - #72

Well, its revealed at last whats in the mysterious cage.
    Another mythological being, and seemingly a really badass one.

As for Queen, i think its unfair to expect him to recognise Luffy as a shonen protagonist.
    He had one of the Supernova in his cell, and has 2 others working beneath him, likely because he is only second to Kaido and King when it comes to power.

Yes Luffy recently underwent a bit of explosive growth as he fought Dogtooth. But its likely only a handful of people who know about that.
    I were refering to how the siluette we saw, and his laught, made it pretty likely its a kappa who are inside the cage.
    I don't see it myself, but that's fine.

Also, My thoughts on the chapter: https://twitter.com/The_Zodi_Lady/st...93494912585729

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Tsk tsk Zodi..
    kinkshaming.. ? really?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

He had something like 43 ships I think? Also, not sure how many were his and how many were friends and allies. Meanwhile big mom had a fairly HUGE fleet. And an army to back it up. But yeah, considering whitebeard had 43 ships, shanks as far as we know has 1, blackbeard doesnt exactly have a huge fleet, I think luffy can be forgiven for not being aware that he was going to be dealing with a massive army.
    The impression I have of current Blackbeard was that he actually does have a MASSIVE fleet and he is VERY aggressive about recruiting strong people and acquiring strong Devil Fruits for them.

But again, With Whitebeard, a big element of it was just what a combat monster Whitebeard was. And I'd like to point out with what he mustered, he went toe to toe with The Navy, who had time to gather ALL there resources and bring them to bear, on there fortified home turf no less, and he came VERY close to winning. I think if Akinue hadn't been just willing to sink to any depth, no trick too under handed, no tactic to scummy or dishonorable, no deed too horrific if it brought a win in the fight, and if Blackbeard hadn't shown up when he did and prioritized picking off Whitebeard, or hell, if he'd failed at that, froze at the wrong second and failed to get himself and his crew to draw down on Whitebeard at the last second like they did and just gotten his head lopped off instead, that that might well have not even been a win for the Navy ultimately.

Hell, if Shanks hadn't called it off it STILL might not have gotten reported as a win for the Navy. Sangoku was having a time with Blackbeard personally and Akinue was too busy being a dumbass to do anything about that, and Kizaru and Aokiji weren't doing any better on that front.

Point being, there was a reason he was the 2nd most powerful pirate and pirate crew after Roger, and why he was the most powerful post Roger era pirate.

That all said, ultimately, the Straw Hats made a critical mistake that many a D&D group have made. They assumed the GM would ALLOW there sneaky sneaky avoid a fight plan to work if there stealth checks weren't in triple or quadruple digits, never showed a Nat 1 roll, for all of them, for every single check.

And obviously did failed spectacularly.

But yeah, again, my main points are 1: Luffy and his core crew REALLY need to up there game before Wano's over, or before meeting Shanks if there's somehow a leg of the journey between the End of Wano and meeting Shanks, and 2: Yeah, they had a hell of a time getting away, but that COULD have been much less difficult time.

Oh, and again, we might be seeing Boa Handcock again sooner than all that. I kind of want too actually, I find her very amusing! XD!
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #75

Tsk tsk Zodi..
    kinkshaming.. ? really?

Pounding in strawmen, pounding in strawmen, pounding in strawmen five inch needles five inch needles five inch needles!

(I'm really just ****ing around I love Basil he rules).

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Luffy did know that Shanks stopped the war, suggesting a single Red Hair Pirates ship could arguably match up to an entire fleet and/or the entire marine force. Similarly, Luffy was informed that whatever was left of Whitebeard's grand fleet was defeated by Blackbeard's forces in the succession war, which gives him an idea of the BB pirate fleet's strength. Even Luffy easily got himself a grand fleet, with Orlumbus crew alone numbering to 56 ships, so it wouldn't be outlandish for him to think that Big Mom would have an equally massive armed force.

Luffy underestimated Big Mom, but he got extremely lucky that present circumstances back then were skewed in his favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #77

Oh, and again, we might be seeing Boa Handcock again sooner than all that. I kind of want too actually, I find her very amusing! XD!
    I do want to see that, if only to see how she acts around nami and robin. I have to admit though, im kinda curious as to how the setup would go. For example, the marines are very much aware of, and capable of, reaching amazon lily. So should the wg disband the warlord system, if they have even two brain cells to rub together, the announcement will happen roughly the day AFTER they take down as many warlords as they can without warning. So, will boa join the straw hat crew or the grand fleet? Will she do so with the shattered remnants of amazon lily that managed to escape what in all likelihood will be a buster call attack? Or will she get word of the incoming attack in time to evacuate a sizeable army of amazon warriors who all know how to use haki to one extent or another? The first would create yet another reason for luffy to want to take on the navy as he kinda likes the amazons. The second would give him an even larger force to fight with at the final showdown. But really I dont even care, I just want to see boa acting catty towards the "competition" when they themselves have no interest in "her husband"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I do want to see that, if only to see how she acts around nami and robin. I have to admit though, im kinda curious as to how the setup would go. For example, the marines are very much aware of, and capable of, reaching amazon lily. So should the wg disband the warlord system, if they have even two brain cells to rub together, the announcement will happen roughly the day AFTER they take down as many warlords as they can without warning. So, will boa join the straw hat crew or the grand fleet? Will she do so with the shattered remnants of amazon lily that managed to escape what in all likelihood will be a buster call attack? Or will she get word of the incoming attack in time to evacuate a sizeable army of amazon warriors who all know how to use haki to one extent or another? The first would create yet another reason for luffy to want to take on the navy as he kinda likes the amazons. The second would give him an even larger force to fight with at the final showdown. But really I dont even care, I just want to see boa acting catty towards the "competition" when they themselves have no interest in "her husband"
    Its not going to happen though.
    The Warlord system is an extremely important tool in preserving the power balance between
    Yonko and WG. And something that allows them to recruit some of the strongest pirates of a generation to their side.
    Yes they are extremely hard to manage. But better them inside pissing out, than outside pissing in as the saying goes.

As for Amazon Lily, with the power of its fighting force, and their utter lack of interest in most things going on outside their borders,
    then i doubt the Marine will waste the massive resources required to take it out.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Traab

Oh yes, I'm highly amused at seeing her react to Nami and Robin, that does, indeed, promise to be hilarious! XD! Sanji, I suspect, will ALSO prompt some very amusing reactions all around, between his personal tastes and mannerisms, and his cooking ability! XD!

Chopper and Brook should also be interesting, given the formers stats as "The cute one." and the latters status as being both weird and exotic, and having rather a taste for certain undergarments. I look forward too seeing how those interactions go.

Special mention should also go to the following:

Franky and every Amazon who ISN'T Boa herself. This has the potential to be a laugh riot!

Boa and Carrot. I can't WAIT for Boa to discover Garachu! That sounds absolutely PRICELESS!!!

All the dudes, And the Amazons, when the Amazons remember that Luffy explained that women have "The Family Jewels.". This should be freaking gold!

Also noted that I think Nami, Robin, Carrot and Chopper all have potential for some rather amusing interactions with all the Amazons other than Boa herself as well. =)

As for how, well, it depends. I could actually see either The Revolutionary Army or someone in the Navy who's somewhat sympathetic to Luffy, Smoker or Sangoku maybe, people whom are less than thrilled with The World Government or how they due business or even with Akinue himself at the moment, seeing too it that they got word of what was coming in advance too her. Maybe they even got the information to Reyleigh since Boa would probably listen to him if he told her in no uncertain terms "This is not a fight worth having. Better to run now and make them suffer for the attempt later.". Or too the New Fishman Pirates, given her history with Fishmen, she'd be likely to listen too them as well. And the Revolutionary's even have connections there.

Given Oda's promise that The final showdown for the series is going to make Marineford look like it could barely be called previews, I think this fits well since it does meaningfully augment Luffy's fighting force.

I could even see Boa having her Amazons assigned to whip the rest of The Grand Fleet into shape by teaching as many members as possible some form or other of Haki use, while she herself spends time with "Her Husband" on his ship. "To make sure the competition remember there place!" XD!

Or if they do go in for the buster calls, it's even possible that they'll write her off at first. She's strong sure, but Weevil is a more dangerous Target cause he's actively running around wrecking crap almost indiscriminately. Mihawk a more Prestigious Target being that he is the worlds greatest swordsman, saying they beat him gives the Marines a certain reputation boost they might REALLY want after Fujitora shamed them at Dressrosa. Law and Doffy aren't factors anymore as Warlords, true. But both Mihawk and Weevil could eat a LOT of resources. And we know they are also investing a LOT in Wano right now.

Buggy is also a factor. True, he's a much softer target, and there's the prestige of defeating a Pirate connected to The Yonko Red Hair Shanks AND recapturing/killing a Bunch of Impel Down escapee's AND the Prestige of defeating a former member of Gold Roger's crew. And of course, while they know about his connections to Roger and The Impel Down Escape and to Shanks, they don't REALIZE just what a soft target he REALLY is!

They could very easily go in guns blazing on Buggy, commit everything they can spare form Wano and defending World Government and Navy HQ's, too crushing him, mistakenly thinking he's potentially the most dangerous of the lot. Which would give the other 3 time to evade the whole thing.

And wouldn't that be Just Buggy's Luck? ;) XD!

Kuma, eh, they'd probably just fake an execution and assign him a new Pacifista designation number and write that Pascifista 0 was totaled in a dust up with some pirate crew or something. Waste not want not, and then the problem is technically out of there hair far as all but a very small number of people know.

lord_khaine

It might not, but Mihawk seems to think it's not unlikely last we saw of him. At least enough that he thinks Perona will likely be safer not hanging out with him. That really makes me think it's likely too happen.

And you make a good point on that, she might well prove to be a lower priority. Particularly when the things I mentioned above are considered. That could give her group time to evacuate.

Though there is also the flip side, they could decide that's all the more reason they NEED to catch her flat footed with this.
    "I Burn!"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

It might not, but Mihawk seems to think it's not unlikely last we saw of him. At least enough that he thinks Perona will likely be safer not hanging out with him. That really makes me think it's likely too happen.

And you make a good point on that, she might well prove to be a lower priority. Particularly when the things I mentioned above are considered. That could give her group time to evacuate.

Though there is also the flip side, they could decide that's all the more reason they NEED to catch her flat footed with this.
    It does come back to "why bother" though.

Amazon Lily is an extremely well defended island in the middle of nowhere.
    And the inhabitants dont have any ambitions besides getting to stay on their island.
    Attacking them is a expensive risk. And dont really give anything in return.

Because Enter the Dragon.
    Who openly have declared war on the WG. And actively fight against them anywhere he spots a chance of winning.
    As long as he is active then it does not make sense to pick a fresh fight with anyone else without reason.

If there is an active purge of warlords, and i still think thats needlessly risky in a time where the Navy has had to draft people of admiral level.
    Then its something more likely to be carried out by CP though "accidents".

I could even see Boa having her Amazons assigned to whip the rest of The Grand Fleet into shape by teaching as many members as possible some form or other of Haki use
    It might be an effective tool, but im pretty certain that if it was as easy to learn as regular martial art, then everyone in the navy knew it in some sort.
    If we ignore Shonen protagonist syndrome, then i dont really think we have examples of people picking it up without years of dedicated training under a personal instructor.

21. - Top - End - #81

They might just have done "Warlord math" and figured that it just doesn't add up in their favor, because out of all the Warlords shown so far:

- Crocodile betrayed the World government to take over a member country.
    - Doflamingo betrayed the World government to take over a member country.
    - Blackbeard betrayed the World government to break into Impel Down, unleashing scores of the most dangerous prisoners onto the world.
    - Law betrayed the World government and allied with a wanted pirate to take down another Warlord.
    - Jinbe publicly resigned, siding first with Whitebeard, then Big Mom, then Luffy.

And that's just what became public. We also have:
    - Moria proved inadequate in terms of power.
    - Kuma was a revolutionary who helped the Straw Hats escape Kizaru and had himself programmed to protect their ship for two years.

Then we have the following betrayals they are probably not aware of, but still happened:
    - Hancock protected Luffy at Marineford and leaving Saobody. Also was apparently not known for being particularly reliable to answer when called upon.
    - Mihawk. Trained Luffy's strongest crewmate to become a better swordsman. Also had reliability issues, skipping meetings and declining to fight when the Red Hair pirates showed up.

This leaves us with the following Warlords that have apparently stayed loyal so far:
    - Weevil, who apparently causes massive collateral damage wherever he goes.
    - Buggy.

Did I miss anyone? Cause right now, that would put just under half of all Warlords shown in the course of the story as publicly known traitors, another two as failures known to the WG if not the public, and another as a destructive liability. Buggy is the only one who's actually apparently perfectly fine from the WG's perspective.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Amazon Lily is an extremely well defended island in the middle of nowhere.
    And the inhabitants dont have any ambitions besides getting to stay on their island.
    Attacking them is a expensive risk. And dont really give anything in return.

Because Enter the Dragon.
    Who openly have declared war on the WG. And actively fight against them anywhere he spots a chance of winning.
    As long as he is active then it does not make sense to pick a fresh fight with anyone else without reason.

If there is an active purge of warlords, and i still think thats needlessly risky in a time where the Navy has had to draft people of admiral level.
    Then its something more likely to be carried out by CP though "accidents".

It might be an effective tool, but im pretty certain that if it was as easy to learn as regular martial art, then everyone in the navy knew it in some sort.
    If we ignore Shonen protagonist syndrome, then i dont really think we have examples of people picking it up without years of dedicated training under a personal instructor.

The thing is, they cant just cut the warlords loose and go "Ok, from here on out we are enemies again if you act as pirates" Too many of them have their hands in too many pies or are too destructive to just let go with no control over them at all. Even doflamingo had to be somewhat careful about what he did as he had to keep it all at least semi legit and not let word leak out. Similar for crocodile who basically was taking over alabasta behind the scenes while pretending to be a good guy I think. Take off the restraints and things would get a whole lot worse very fast. On the other hand, you do have a point about how boa is a pretty minimalist figure in the pirate stage. She doesnt really go out and do much and doesnt have any ambitions to do more than marry her pirate king husband of course. So I could see them purging the dangerous ones or the ones that would get them some good reputation like the whole former gold rogers crew member blah blah blah buggy.

However, amazon lily doesnt exactly have a fleet. It has boas ship certainly, but do we see any more than that? So it wouldnt exactly be THAT difficult to send in a buster call fleet, pound everything in range to burning rubble, and decide from there what to do. If the wg did decide to go for a clean sweep just to remove a number of troublesome pirates who they know the location of and could fairly easily ambush and destroy without warning, I could see that happening, they destroy everything they can reach, declare hancock is dead, then the survivors of amazon lily build some ships and get out of there as its no longer a safe place for them. In fact, that would be a great way to bring the warlords in on luffys side. The wg turned on them, the survivors learn luffy intends to go take them on, they join in to get their pound of flesh.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

They might just have done "Warlord math" and figured that it just doesn't add up in their favor, because out of all the Warlords shown so far:
    It was mainly in regards to, why bother with the insane amount of work it would require to take down Boa.
    When they could instead just take her title away and leave her be.

I also doubt the WG care much about if the kink of Dressrosa is called Riku or Flamingo.
    As long as he is loyal.

However, amazon lily doesnt exactly have a fleet. It has boas ship certainly, but do we see any more than that? So it wouldnt exactly be THAT difficult to send in a buster call fleet, pound everything in range to burning rubble, and decide from there what to do. If the wg did decide to go for a clean sweep just to remove a number of troublesome pirates who they know the location of and could fairly easily ambush and destroy without warning, I could see that happening, they destroy everything they can reach, declare hancock is dead, then the survivors of amazon lily build some ships and get out of there as its no longer a safe place for them. In fact, that would be a great way to bring the warlords in on luffys side. The wg turned on them, the survivors learn luffy intends to go take them on, they join in to get their pound of flesh.
    When all you have are blackpowder, then pounding an island to rubble from afar is a titanic undertaking. Especially one you dont really dare setting a foot on with regular rank and file marine conscripts.
    I mean, how much damage to do you a single cannon shot is going to do to a jungle? Attacking Amazon Lily just cant be cost effective even in the most ideal outcome where they actually win.
    And thats under the assumption that they can even reach everything on Amazon Lilly. As i recall it was a fairly large island with a bit of mountains.

Even worse, since its the home of a warlord then they kinda have to send an admiral along to subdue Boa herself. Else they risk her messing the attack up somehow.

24. - Top - End - #84

It was mainly in regards to, why bother with the insane amount of work it would require to take down Boa.
    When they could instead just take her title away and leave her be.

I also doubt the WG care much about if the kink of Dressrosa is called Riku or Flamingo.
    As long as he is loyal.

When all you have are blackpowder, then pounding an island to rubble from afar is a titanic undertaking. Especially one you dont really dare setting a foot on with regular rank and file marine conscripts.
    I mean, how much damage to do you a single cannon shot is going to do to a jungle? Attacking Amazon Lily just cant be cost effective even in the most ideal outcome where they actually win.
    And thats under the assumption that they can even reach everything on Amazon Lilly. As i recall it was a fairly large island with a bit of mountains.

Even worse, since its the home of a warlord then they kinda have to send an admiral along to subdue Boa herself. Else they risk her messing the attack up somehow.
    Didnt we at least see a vice admiral capable of resisting her charms during the whole impel down/marineford arc? Heh, too bad they cant rely on fujitora, that blind admiral would tear through amazon lily with ease, her physical attributes wouldnt help effect him. Anyways, at the very least their city is right at the bay iirc. Wait, ok, I was a bit wrong, their city is setup so its basically inside the mountain at the center of the island, but it can be surrounded in a crescent moon from the water, so they could technically level the entire area. I cant post the image for some reason, trying to copy its location just seems to stretch on for 90 pages or keep resetting, hard to tell which. How effective it would be relies on how hard they fight to defend. If they fell back to the palace in short order they could probably fort up and be an awful mess to dig out. If they stood and fought they could be at least effectively crippled before they retreated.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Lord of the Helms: Precisely.

lord_khaine:

The upside to attacking her is that at least they know where she is pretty reliably. That's also the upside to attacking Mihawk and Buggy though, who are both more prestigious. And I could see them taking it into there heads that Mihawk is actually a better opening target cause he's just one dude. (Course, they might also know that based on who escaped and signed on with him, that Buggy is NOT actually as dangerous as some of his associations would suggest. Hell, that's actually something I could see Ciper Pol figuring out and slipping to Akine, so Akine makes him the priority target if they do this.).

The downside is that she's in this isolated area and is decidedly less publically troublesome or prestigious than any of the others. All of them are more of one or both in so far as the WG knows. And again, her powers are troublesome. They have very few people they can send who could deal with Boa herself because of the way her powers work. Given that she manages to apply the "Even the women want her" trope, It's questionable weather even someone like Tsuru could be trusted. Garp or Sangoku, assuming they resisted her charms, might very well be inclined to be VERY creative in there interpretation of orders, just so they can let her go since they probably are wise, or would become wise, to the fact that the amazons are friendly with Luffy.

We don't know enough about green-what's-there-name to know if they would be inclined to follow through on this any more than Fujitora, whom almost certainly would find himself inclined to let them escape for a similar reason to Sangoku or Garp. (Also cause he seems to just love giving the WG and Akine the bird at every opportunity that presents itself.).

That leaves Kizaru and Akinue as possible people they could send. Now, Akinue could probably manage it, but he's the sort that would leave 0 survivors, and he's also the sort who's frankly probably got bigger fish to fry.

Kizaru, might, be able to do it. Hard to tell how good he'd be at resisting her charms. (She only needs 1 opening really. Keep that in mind.). And she's got fairly strong Armament Haki so he can't rely on his Logia as a defense against her.

And then there's the consideration of the fact that they need figures like this for the Others as well. Weevil will almost certainly require Someone in Garp/Sangoku/Akinue or Admiral weight class to deal with him, at a minimum. And so would Mihawk. And Buggy could VERY easily wind up leaving them thinking that they need to be ready for anything, up too and including Shanks showing up to back up his "brother.", so that could demand a LOT of there resources. Add that they are dealing with Wano right now, and still need SOMETHING held back for protecting Navy HQ and World Government HQ, and yeah, there might not be enough heavy hitters to go around to get her right away. At least not with out leaving her some warning.

Though I will note: I seem to recall The Kuja Pirates do come along and raid ships and the like somewhat regularly, and that that being a practice of there's was established during the Amazon Lily arc.

Also that it's established Canon that Buster Calls leave NOTHING behind. Robin surviving one was an extreme fluke, and that wasn't even a Buster Call with Akinue as Fleet Admiral or with Pacifista's to back them up. For whatever that context is worth.

Additionally I'll give you that the World Government does NOT care who's sitting on Dressrosa's throne as long as there loyal to the World Government. It's just that Doffy was NOT loyal and that was shown publically, which does make them look bad.

Lastly, The World Government spend century's building a literal bridge to no where for reasons no one even remembers anymore that are likely stupid and petty. Monetary costs are NOT a big deal to them if they want something.

Traab:

Weeeelllll, yes and no. He managed to be the only one on the ship who didn't get turned to stone on her opening move. By completely abandoning any semblance of a defensive posture and stabbing himself rather savagely in the hand and focusing ALL of his mental awareness on the pain that brought about to ignore her. I'm rather certain if she was taking the whole thing life or death serious she'd have had no problem finishing him with a follow up attack at that stage. So, with the possible notable exceptions of Tsuru (Maybe.) and Garp (Maybe but less likely.) and Sangoku (Also less likely than Tsuru, though perhaps nominally more likely than Garp.), anything they throw at her is going to have to be Admiral level or up. And that has it's own problems before you even get into Wano being a resource draw right now.

And again, she might well not be the first one they gun for. That could give her time to evacuate. Or word could get around that this is coming thanks to either The Revolutionary's, or some of the less dogmatic navy types, making it a point to make it known. (Hell, for all we know, were going to find out that that guy that wrote the story about Luffy taking on Big Mom had one of those two groups tip him off that the Warlords are disbanded, before the navy forces that were to ambush them even got the information to start preparing to ambush them. He seems like exactly the sort that would publish something big like that with out thinking.)

Someone mentioned they could send in CP0 to work on The Warlords, but frankly, given Lucci's Modus Operindai, unless he knows for sure that Boa is deliberately sympathetic to Luffy, I can't see him picking her for his personal attention, and I find it unlikely that anyone else under him is going to be able to handle her personally unless they manage to poison her or something and she dies in her sleep. And THAT is again not considering there almost certainly going to need to send CP0 to Wano after Revelry, AND that also assumes there's no successful information leaks that warn the Warlords before the conclusion of Revelry is confirmed.
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter. The battle on the (big) bridge proceeds with some banter and interruptions.
    Also, I guess Luffy really is about to unlock a new power. Thank you for the free personal trainers?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    New chapter. The battle on the (big) bridge proceeds with some banter and interruptions.
    Also, I guess Luffy really is about to unlock a new power. Thank you for the free personal trainers?
    This haki force field seems to be a form of advanced CoA similar to how Katakuri's future sight is a form of advanced CoO. Interesting to note that the admirals themselves already showed this advanced CoA when they collectively blocked Whitebeard's DF power.

The black blade might mean that certain conditions or haki usages might enable a permanent "haki enhancement" on weapons, as it did Ryuuma's and Mihawk's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    This haki force field seems to be a form of advanced CoA similar to how Katakuri's future sight is a form of advanced CoO. Interesting to note that the admirals themselves already showed this advanced CoA when they collectively blocked Whitebeard's DF power.

The black blade might mean that certain conditions or haki usages might enable a permanent "haki enhancement" on weapons, as it did Ryuuma's and Mihawk's.
    True, but the fact that these things are so freaking rare implies that its a legendary skill to utilize. There are only like 12 blades counting the black blade on par with it. We dont know if any of those have perma haki or not. Maybe the shodai kitetsu will turn out to be like that? Who knows. Im guessing not, as the black blade is considered the most powerful of all blades, and thats all its known for. So if only one sword, made by the greatest smith of all time is known to have that effect, while it confirms its possible, it also confirms its not something you are likely to see done.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the blade becoming black over time is even something to do with Haki. it's likely something more ceremonial/spiritual; the blood of many slain foes or the spirit of the indomitable swordsman and the dreams of all the people transforming a "mere" masterwork into a blade of legend.

It's basically the same idea behind Guts' Dragonslayer becoming magical over time. It's just a thing in manga and likely Japanese mysticism in general (though I don't know many of the more obscure tales) that oda is referencing, much like how Wano in general is one big love letter to Japanese mythology and culture.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I don't think the blade becoming black over time is even something to do with Haki. it's likely something more ceremonial/spiritual; the blood of many slain foes or the spirit of the indomitable swordsman and the dreams of all the people transforming a "mere" masterwork into a blade of legend.

It's basically the same idea behind Guts' Dragonslayer becoming magical over time. It's just a thing in manga and likely Japanese mysticism in general (though I don't know many of the more obscure tales) that oda is referencing, much like how Wano in general is one big love letter to Japanese mythology and culture.
    I think I remember reading a story that talked about that. How a sword goes from "A sword that was made by a good blacksmith" to "Spoken of with awe in myth and legend" Where its like a combination of being wielded by famous warriors, to stories about its "mysterious powers" being passed around long enough that its like the belief and faith in the stories creates the powers for real. Kind of a play on how man makes gods. All that belief and worship basically creates the being and gives him the attributes and personality his or her worshipers believe they have. So in this case it goes from, "Wow, that guy cut a glacier with one slice!" to "Wow, that sword can cut glaciers with one slice!"

As a strangely related note, in the webcomic A Girl And Her Fed, we learn that the ghost of abraham lincoln
    Spoiler: story spoiler
    Show
    is actually kinda crazy, though he is getting better, and they believe its because he was such a divisive figure in american history until fairly recently (historically speaking) when it became more or less universal that yes, freeing the slaves wasnt a terrible idea, we suppose. In that setting ghosts gain power from being remembered so obviously ghosts like the more famous presidents are ludicrously powerful. But also being remembered in a couple of diametrically opposed viewpoints is going to mess with your head.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-03-21 at 03:33 PM.