New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars 2019

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default The Oscars 2019

Is anybody going to watch the Oscars tonight? I hope that Black Panther wins for Best Pictures.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Oscars 2019

I understand why people want Black Panther to win Best Picture, but it in no way deserves to. By the standards of Marvel superhero movies - indeed, even Marvel superhero movies released in 2018 - it was pretty mediocre.

The only thing that's really remarkable about it is its box office, which shouldn't be the determining factor in deciding whether a movie is any good.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-02-24 at 01:09 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I understand why people want Black Panther to win Best Picture, but it in no way deserves to. By the standards of Marvel superhero movies - indeed, even Marvel superhero movies released in 2018 - it was pretty mediocre.
    Even absent other factors, Black Panther would still be the most likely Marvel movie of 2018 to appeal to the Academy.

Infinity War is quasi-meaningless without having seen at least half a dozen or so other movies, and so can't possibly considered on its own

Ant-Man and the Wasp is okay, but not as good as Black Panther.

And the actual best superhero movie of last year, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was animated and ain't no way the Academy are treating animated movies as real.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

BP wasn't pretentious and artsy enough to win a Best Picture, and it wasn't made by a director who has 'earned' a BP win.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    BP wasn't pretentious and artsy enough to win a Best Picture, and it wasn't made by a director who has 'earned' a BP win.
    On the other hand, there isn't a clear favourite this year.

The Academy is trying to look less out of touch, especially because of the ratings problem they're having with the Oscars on TV. So they might go for the popular choice (which was also the most culturally impactful and best reviewed of the best picture noms).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

It also wasn't good enough in any other respect. Good, but not Best Picture good. Of course, I rarely agree with actual best picture wins (when I've actually seen the winners, that is).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The Academy is trying to look less out of touch
    They could accomplish this by trying to actually stop being out of touch, but I have yet to see that idea floated by.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Superheroes movies are rare for Best Pictures. These movies are very common for the Special Effects category though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Black Panther wasnt even the best Marvel movie of the year, let alone Best Picture overall. If it wins, it will be Academy bowing to PC pressure
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Black Panther wasnt even the best Marvel movie of the year, let alone Best Picture overall. If it wins, it will be Academy bowing to PC pressure
    I Always figured the Academy was at the head of political correctness. How could it bow to it?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    It's running against BlacKKKlansmen, which has both a African-American main character and a Jewish main character, Roma with its indigenous Mexican female lead character, The Favorite with a triple lesbian love triangle period drama, Green Book with African-American and Italian-American co-leads, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, and Vice. 4/7 of those are minority/PC-friendly lead and story, 5/7 if you count Freddy Mercury. Probably the only Best Picture that couldn't be argued as 'bowing to PC pressure' would be **** Cheney's autobiographical film Vice.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-02-24 at 03:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's running against BlacKKKlansmen, which has both a African-American main character and a Jewish main character, Roma with its indigenous Mexican female lead character, The Favorite with a triple lesbian love triangle, Green Book with African-American and Italian-American co-leads, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, and Vice. 4/7 of those are minority/PC-friendly lead and story, 5/7 if you count Freddy Mercury. Probably the only Best Picture that couldn't be argued as 'bowing to PC pressure' would be **** Cheney's autobiographical film Vice.
    All the other movies are very exceptional and Oscar-worthy so it's going to be a tough fight to see who win for Best Pictures.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

It's running against BlacKKKlansmen, which has both a African-American main character and a Jewish main character, Roma with its indigenous Mexican female lead character, The Favorite with a triple lesbian love triangle period drama, Green Book with African-American and Italian-American co-leads, Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, and Vice. 4/7 of those are minority/PC-friendly lead and story, 5/7 if you count Freddy Mercury. Probably the only Best Picture that couldn't be argued as 'bowing to PC pressure' would be **** Cheney's autobiographical film Vice.
    Vice totally could be argued as such based on its politics. It's a very woke lineup.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Vice totally could be argued as such based on its politics. It's a very woke lineup.
    True, though exploring that line of thought too deeply might lead us places we shouldn't go here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

My guess would be Roma, both for immediate external political reasons and because its quality is such that it's sufficient to satisfy most people's considerations for what an Oscar-winner would be. Though it has the issue of being tied to Netflix, which apparently is a thorny subject in Hollywood.

Black Panther's relevance doesn't depend on Oscar recognition at the end of the day, it was what it was regardless.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2019-02-24 at 04:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    My guess would be Roma, both for immediate external political reasons and because its quality is such that it's sufficient to satisfy most people's considerations for what an Oscar-winner would be. Though it has the issue of being tied to Netflix, which apparently is a thorny subject in Hollywood.
    There's the Netflix issue, Netflix is to the Academy as garlic is to vampires after all, and the fact that it's a largely subtitled movie trying to escape the best foreign language film ghetto.

Roma should be a good contender, but has Academy baggage.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, there isn't a clear favourite this year.

The Academy is trying to look less out of touch, especially because of the ratings problem they're having with the Oscars on TV. So they might go for the popular choice (which was also the most culturally impactful and best reviewed of the best picture noms).
    "Best reviewed" depends on how you look at it. Rottentomatoes gives one score, based on the proportion of reviewers that gave it positive reviews. But that doesn't take into account how positive the reviews are. On RT, Black Panther does indeed have the highest score, by a margin of about 1% over Roma.

Metacritic has a more nuanced but more subjective approach, taking into account not only how many positive reviews a film got but how positive those reviews were, and on that score, Black Panther falls some way down the list. Roma and The Favourite are ahead and A Star Is Born is level with it.

For my money, Bohemian Rhapsody, Vice and Black Panther simply aren't good enough films to deserve a Best Picture win. I don't think Bohemian Rhapsody even deserves the nomination and if being truly honest I don't think Black Panther does either. I've not seen Green Book but it's been savaged lately and seems unlikely to make the cut.

The "safe" option is probably The Favourite. A Star Is Born is handicapped by being a remake. Roma would be the subversive option, as a foreign-language film. If determined to be woke, they should pick BlackKklansman.

Black Panther would be a crowd-pleasing option but I'm not sure what it would prove. We all know that box office isn't a measure of quality and it's really its own reward. It wouldn't be the first film to win with a black star (Driving Miss Daisy); it wouldn't be the first film to win with a predominantly black cast (Moonlight). Awards aside it's not even the first black superhero film to be commercially successful: indeed Blade was not only a hit but was arguably even more influential in that it proved that superhero films were a going concern in a period when everyone had written them off.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18

GreataxeFighterGirl

It's entertaining (I suppose), thus it won't win.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

And the actual best superhero movie of last year, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was animated and ain't no way the Academy are treating animated movies as real.
    Into the Spider-Verse is broadly considered a lock to win Best Animated Feature, over Incredibles 2 and Wes Anderson's latest. That's not a bad showing for a superhero film.

As for Best Picture, it's totally unclear who will win because in the absence of a clear favorite, the winner will be determined by the complex preferential voting system used for this category, meaning the winner is going to depend upon which film gets the most 2nd and 3rd place votes.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    It's entertaining (I suppose), thus it won't win.
    While it appears that being entertaining to the general public isn't a criterion that the Academy uses, I wouldn't say it is necessarily a disqualification either. After all, The Sound of Music won, and that was very popular. And I found Shakespeare in Love very entertaining, although that one probably won on the basis of its appeal to actors.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Into the Spider-Verse is broadly considered a lock to win Best Animated Feature, over Incredibles 2 and Wes Anderson's latest. That's not a bad showing for a superhero film.

As for Best Picture, it's totally unclear who will win because, in the absence of a clear favourite, the winner will be determined by the complex preferential voting system used for this category, meaning the winner is going to depend upon which film gets the most 2nd and 3rd place votes.
    Actually, Disney usually win for Best Animated Flims.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a brand new Crash.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a brand new Crash.
    Do you mean the Green Book.
    Which had a lot of controversy involving the director, the writer (the son of the man who drove for the pianist), and the pianist’s family?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Do you mean the Green Book.
    Which had a lot of controversy involving the director, the writer (the son of the man who drove for the pianist), and the pianist’s family?
    That Dr. Shirley's own family wasn't consulted at any point during the production of the film (and that Dr. Shirley himself reportedly never wanted the film to be made)? Yeah that's the one.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-02-25 at 01:08 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Satire Site called it. And it kinda explains why it sucks that it won.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

A Canadian satire site, I note with a tiny degree of entirely-undeserved national pride.

Seth Meyers also kind of called it.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-02-25 at 06:25 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    A Canadian satire site, I note with a tiny degree of entirely-undeserved national pride.

Seth Meyers also kind of called it.
    I don't watch a lot of Seth Meyers, but every time I do I feel like I should watch him more.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It was a great show last night other than that Green Book stole Black Panther thunder by Best Pictures category. Darn, Darn, Darn.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Pretentious elitism and vapid virtue-signaling... A perfect fit for Hollywood.

But TBF, Black Panther doesn't deserve to even be considered for "Best Movie". It's not even a particularly good Marvel movie. It was perfectly mediocre.
    Homebrew Stuff:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    But TBF, Black Panther doesn't deserve to even be considered for "Best Movie". It's not even a particularly good Marvel movie. It was perfectly mediocre.
    While I do wish I lived in a world where Black Panther was as good as it was important, if only because a movie that good might implode the universe. However Black Panther is absolutely deserving of at least the best picture nod, although I don’t think it should have gotten the win. I think it was a solid 8/10 personally and only the 4th best Marvel Movie but overall it’s absolutely the most thematically ambitious and for what flaws it has the execution on those themes is 100% delivered on.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.