New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: How Does One Properly Make Tea?

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The War is about When you put the milk in the teacup.

Running away is the only sane option.
    I did once try circumventing this dilemma by making tea by heating the milk and adding the tea.

It wasn't a sane option either.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Milk and sugar are normally only added to black teas. Green and white teas don't need them and they usually don't go well with milk and sugar anyways. Black tea contains lots of a bitter chemical called tannins that many people don't like. The milk and sugar are to neutralize it. Green and white tea shouldn't have tannins in them provided they aren't oversteeped or the water wasn't too hot.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post

OK. I retract anything I may have said to the effect that there is no wrong way to drink tea.

*incurs 2d10 SAN loss after a successful SAN check and goes to look for the brain bleach.*
    My tea is most best tea. All other ways are wrong!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I make my tea with the same bag that I have used the last 2 days and boiling it for half an hour, I then add milk and maple syrup.
    in all fairness my tea is half chaga mushrooms and half erva mate, so that is a perfectly acceptable preparation

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brinybill View Post
    I make my tea with the same bag that I have used the last 2 days and boiling it for half an hour, I then add milk and maple syrup.
    in all fairness my tea is half chaga mushrooms and half erva mate, so that is a perfectly acceptable preparation
    That reminds me. I gotta go out this spring and get some chaga for my dad.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    Milk and sugar are normally only added to black teas. Green and white teas don't need them and they usually don't go well with milk and sugar anyways. Black tea contains lots of a bitter chemical called tannins that many people don't like. The milk and sugar are to neutralize it. Green and white tea shouldn't have tannins in them provided they aren't oversteeped or the water wasn't too hot.
    Mint tea takes sugar well (not milk, though).

Having said that there is a valid argument to be had over whether mint tea is a tea at all or properly a tisane.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

Having said that there is a valid argument to be had over whether mint tea is a tea at all or properly a tisane.
    The "mint teas" I've had contain both mint and tea, so they would qualify as teas. If you make it with just mint, that's another story.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

There isn't really - if it doesn't contain leaves from the tea plant, it's not tea. If it does, it is.

(Having said that, prescriptivist etymology isn't a great thing, and popular usage makes "herbal tea" or "mint tea" a well-recognised term.)
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2019-03-11 at 03:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    (Having said that, prescriptivist etymology isn't a great thing, and popular usage makes "herbal tea" or "mint tea" a well-recognised term.)
    And "mint tea", specifically, differs from most "herbal teas" in that it commonly does contain actual tea leaves as well as mint. Usually green tea, but I've also had it with black.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The proper way to make tea in my experience is simple:

You and several friends sneak onto a boat late at night, grab crates of tea, and pitch it into a harbor. Then you run before the British catch you.

Joking aside, get a pot of water to boil, add a bunch of teabags, let steep, pull the bags, add sugar and stir to dissolve, then add lemonade while still warm and bring it to half sweet tea, half lemonade. That's how ya make tea the Oklahoma way.
    Last edited by Karen Lynn; 2019-03-13 at 01:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post

You and several friends sneak onto a boat late at night, grab crates of tea, and pitch it into a harbor. Then you run before the British catch you.

This is the only way, other than my own that is correct. All other ways are wrongbad teaing.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

I use a cheap coffeemaker, four bags to one 12 ounce pot-- or per two 12 ounce pots for iced tea. If someone puts coffee in my teapot, I gift it to them and go buy another.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

DruidGirl

If you start with a teabag, you are already doing it wrong.

I drink improperly made tea most of the time, and I don't mind, but the first step to tea propriety is to let the leaves float freely in the water. None of the traditional and time honoured ways to make tea include teabags. (Probably because teabags are a new invention, but also people claim the flavour isn't as good and you get bad tea in teabags because you can't see the quality)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's a groovy take on the question.

Now, this is serious.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

All this controversy is why I stick with chocolate milk... (Well... That and the sweet tooth that'll probably reduce my life expectancy by about 10 years).
    Homebrew Stuff:

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I like to add honey to my green tea so that it doesn't taste as much like I'm drinking someone's front lawn. However, I'm also pretty lazy about stirring it in, so the honey mostly accumulates at the bottom... which is a pretty nice way to end a cup of tea, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Lynn View Post

So, are you an immortal or did you come to the 21st century from 1773 by time warp? If the latter, is it two-way or are you stuck here in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    All this controversy is why I stick with chocolate milk... (Well... That and the sweet tooth that'll probably reduce my life expectancy by about 10 years).
    This is what I do every morning, especially when it's too warm for hot tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    So, are you an immortal or did you come to the 21st century from 1773 by time warp? If the latter, is it two-way or are you stuck here in the future?
    If the former, how do I get that?

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    If the former, how do I get that?

—Caerulea
    Ooh, good addendum. I want in on that too!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I must remember this excuse!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    I must remember this excuse!
    You don't need an excuse to drink chocolate milk... It's chocolate milk! It's freakin' delicious!
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-04-08 at 09:52 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Milk binds to the tannin in your tea.
    Supposedly, tannin is good for you, and the milk binding to it makes it less effective.

I challenge you to drink it with milk and then not put in milk when you are sick.

Note, the above-mentioned is gathered from several barely read google searches.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannins are antioxidants and they can help with high blood pressure and heart disease. However tannins also interfere with iron absorption and people with anemia are advised to avoid them.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    If you start with a teabag, you are already doing it wrong.
    Agreed! Powder is the one true tea. Anything else is wrong.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

24. - Top - End - #54

Lizardfolk

How I make tea depends on the person that I am making tea for, but for me, I first place the teabag in the mug. Then I fill the mug with boiling water, leaving about 1 cm of space left for milk. I fill that space with milk. Then I wait about a minute. Then I remove the teabag.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Just because no one else has said this yet (and to make all the British people mad ), the only true way to make tea is a couple gallons of black tea at a time, then load it full of sugar and chill it. Sweet iced tea is the only kind I drink lol.

Go Tigers!

26. - Top - End - #56

Lizardfolk

We are discussing tea.....
    gods I love this forum!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

27. - Top - End - #57

MindFlayer

One way I like is to put some loose-leaf oolong into a bowl, add boiling water, let it sit 2.75 minutes, and then pour it through a strainer into another bowl. After letting it cool further to a safe temperature, I then pour it into a cup. No sugar, no milk, and probably using more tea leaves per cup than is common.
    The result would probably be the same with a teapot and tea basket, but I don't have those.