New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

I am glad that everyone else is doing well.

My provicial politics (Alberta, Canada) has burned me out. I was genuinily sick to my stomatch last night.

Here's hoping I can stay on track to wrap up this week.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Maybe. But come on, I'm a fat nerdy boy/girl, I thought the popular ones were meant to be the ones with muscles and large chests.

In all seriousness, I know that there's a decent portion of the population either into that or which just doesn't care. But it still feels weird to be considered pretty.
    Maybe some people just want a long term relationship with someone with similar interests. An interest which can often mean a shared activity that doesn't involve getting wasted or changing out of pajama pants. I mean, pig sky diving probably doesn't lead to much talking to one another and you have to be decent else you'd get weird looks.

Through I'd find it hilarious if plenty of those were Americans. I wonder if any other country has a fascination with accents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Maybe some people just want a long term relationship with someone with similar interests. An interest which can often mean a shared activity that doesn't involve getting wasted or changing out of pajama pants. I mean, pig sky diving probably doesn't lead to much talking to one another and you have to be decent else you'd get weird looks.

Through I'd find it hilarious if plenty of those were Americans. I wonder if any other country has a fascination with accents?
    There probably is something like that everywhere, but the New World tends to really emphasise heritage more ontesely thsn their Old World counterparts. At least when looking at European culture. Perhaps other places have a different experience.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Well I've actually been talking to my ex. This is weird and I'm not sure I like it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I've actually been talking to my ex. This is weird and I'm not sure I like it.
    Remember, it's fine to disengage politely if you cannot handle it. It's fine to just check in on her and leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Remember, it's fine to disengage politely if you cannot handle it. It's fine to just check in on her and leave.
    I know, but I want to talk to her again. I want to be her friend, and I've still got feelings for her, even though she's probably moved on and we'll never get back together.

It hurts. But it hurts less than not talking to her at all. Because apparently I don't move on at all.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I know, but I want to talk to her again. I want to be her friend, and I've still got feelings for her, even though she's probably moved on and we'll never get back together.

It hurts. But it hurts less than not talking to her at all. Because apparently I don't move on at all.
    Well that's a thorny field if I ever saw one. Was the breakup mutual? If not were you the instigator? Because in both those scenarios, there were likely good and solid reasons to end the relationship that you should remind yourself of (I'm not saying that old relationships should never be rekindled, just saying to make sure to do it with eyes open). If she was the instigator, then the same thing likely applies but it becomes even rockier.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #518
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am stoked because this month, college has been going wonderfully. Received the outstanding achievement in Arabic award, got first place in a Business presentation competition, completed a program that will look great on a resume, and just now got elected to treasurer of the Arab club... I sent in an application for a study abroad program, fingers crossed that I'll be accepted. I'm working on a Master's in Accounting, a Bachelor's in Finance, and a minor in Arabic, and the study abroad program is a Business/Economics in the UAE... so it sounds absolutely perfect. Let me just pray that fate will keep working in my favor.

I also got a boyfriend, but to be honest, I'm not all that thrilled about it... He'll be moving back to Dubai permanently at the end of the year. The relationship will last that long, inshallah.

Anyone have anything planned for Summer?
    Last edited by Mariele; 2019-04-18 at 08:57 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    I am stoked because this month, college has been going wonderfully. Received the outstanding achievement in Arabic award, got first place in a Business presentation competition, completed a program that will look great on a resume, and just now got elected to treasurer of the Arab club... I sent in an application for a study abroad program, fingers crossed that I'll be accepted. I'm working on a Master's in Accounting, a Bachelor's in Finance, and a minor in Arabic, and the study abroad program is a Business/Economics in the UAE... so it sounds absolutely perfect. Let me just pray that fate will keep working in my favor.

I also got a boyfriend, but to be honest, I'm not all that thrilled about it... He'll be moving back to Dubai permanently at the end of the year. The relationship will last that long, inshallah.

.... Being envious that I don't have a boyfriend from Dubai.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    .... Being envious that I don't have a boyfriend from Dubai.
    My wife has an "uncle" named Nasser who has offered to get my father-in-law multiple camels in exchange for my sister-in-law. He is somehow connected to the house of Saud, though I can't remember how.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariele View Post
    I'm moving from the Giant Grafitti to the Outskirts of the Imperial District in 6 days. I'm driving through the heart of measles country with an 8-month-old (who we did get an MMR vaccine for) to get there. YAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My wife has an "uncle" named Nasser who has offered to get my father-in-law multiple camels in exchange for my sister-in-law. He is somehow connected to the house of Saud, though I can't remember how.
    Sallah Nasser, I said no camels, that's five camels! Can't you count?!

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Well I feel like ****. Can't really go into why without breaking down for the third+ time this evening, but suffice to say that it's an awful mixture of depression and heartbreak. No suicidal thoughts yet, but then again I have to sirens tomorrow alone.

It doesn't help that anytime I try to reach out for help with the things that worry me I either get 'oh, it'll work out eventually' or some variation of 'you're just not trying hard enough'. I'm sorry if my inability to concentrate around noise means that every club I've tried to go to has been a painful experience, but that's why I need help!

Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I had a root canal done on Thursday to try and put an end to two weeks of on-and-off pain in one of my teeth. For the most part, during the day, there's pretty much no pain. In the two nights since the root canal, there's been pain. A lot of pain. 'Up at 4am and unable to sleep because it hurts like hell even after three Advils' pain. And since it's Friday night (or Saturday morning), I won't be able to get back in touch with my dentist until Monday, which means I might have two more sleepless nights of pain to look forward to before anything can be done about it. They didn't give me a prescription for a stronger painkiller, either, which I should have asked for.

Really hoping it's just an unusually severe recovery and not evidence of anything more serious or a botched operation, but damn does it hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Really hoping it's just an unusually severe recovery and not evidence of anything more serious or a botched operation, but damn does it hurt.
    It took the best part of a week for the pain to subside after I had an impacted wisdom tooth out, so I suspect this is probably just normal.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

The local tabernacle had a freak fire started by, as memory serves, a faulty fire alarm system a few years back. It was only about 110 years old, but it was probably the oldest building in town. It took a few years, but it got repaired. Nevertheless, in the interim it was rather depressing to see its ruin. Considering that Notre Dame Cathedral was something like 4 times that age and has a footprint probably twice as big in any direction, I think it is safe to say that this fire is much more devastating. Hopefully it can be restored to its former glory quickly. Frankly, I expect any art that survived intact to get pride of place in the restored building.
    I don't know how your church is, but you might want to double those numbers yet again, at least for the age. The Notre-Dame is big (although not extreme by European measures) and old.

ION:
    I'm trying to juggle a little too many balls, and in the end I forget what I'm up to and especially what I have been up to. I'd forgotten that my family was heading up to Ancestral Farm to hang out with my aunt's family over the Easter weekend, and managed to double-book myself for an Easter party with a group of friends yesterday. I don't regret going with my friends, it was a great party, but I don't like getting double-booked...

Now I think I'll just spend the rest of weekend recovering my wits. And try to upgrade a web forum I'm taking over administration of for a society I'm in. It's slow going, because I keep getting distracted by other things. I want to push myself into getting this done, but I also recognise that part of the procrastination stems from the fact that I'm somewhat overworked, and I don't want to worsen that by adding stress to my weekend as well...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    So I had a root canal done on Thursday to try and put an end to two weeks of on-and-off pain in one of my teeth. For the most part, during the day, there's pretty much no pain. In the two nights since the root canal, there's been pain. A lot of pain. 'Up at 4am and unable to sleep because it hurts like hell even after three Advils' pain. And since it's Friday night (or Saturday morning), I won't be able to get back in touch with my dentist until Monday, which means I might have two more sleepless nights of pain to look forward to before anything can be done about it. They didn't give me a prescription for a stronger painkiller, either, which I should have asked for.

I broke a wisdom tooth a few years ago, it took a week of meds to get it to where it could be operated on and two months to heal after removal. So it can take a long while for the pain to go away.

I would contact them regardless, better to be safe than infected.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-04-20 at 12:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I don't know how your church is, but you might want to double those numbers yet again, at least for the age. The Notre-Dame is big (although not extreme by European measures) and old.
    The church in question could hold the entire population of the town and surrounding environs when built, so I think my size estimate is decent (I can't get figures on its footprint, but it was about 2/3rd the square footage that Notre Dame Cathedral's area gives, but over multiple levels where Notre Dame is mostly a single, tall, space. For the age, I originally thought the local building was 150 years old and Notre Dame was about 600. In trying to find the actual footprint of the building, I discovered it was only 110 at the time of the fire while Notre Dame is about 800.

Does anybody have an experience teaching young children to read? We are trying to get my 5-year-old reading, and it is frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #528

Does anybody have an experience teaching young children to read? We are trying to get my 5-year-old reading, and it is frustrating.
    Not yet, but I have high hopes that these will help. We live in the future, I tells ya!

19. - Top - End - #529
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sallah Nasser, I said no camels, that's five camels! Can't you count?!
    I just saw that movie like 3 days ago!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

20. - Top - End - #530

DwarfFighterGuy

So I may have accidentally recruited 12 players for my WW2-themed D&D one shot. Oops.... Send help, or remember me fondly!

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    So I may have accidentally recruited 12 players for my WW2-themed D&D one shot. Oops.... Send help, or remember me fondly!
    Wow! How did that happen?

22. - Top - End - #532

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Wow! How did that happen?
    I asked around to see if people were interested... and they were. And they brought friends : P

Absolutely no one said no :P
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2019-04-20 at 01:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I asked around to see if people were interested... and they were. And they brought friends : P

Absolutely no one said no :P
    I see. You know what they say: The more, the merrier.

24. - Top - End - #534

Well I feel like ****. Can't really go into why without breaking down for the third+ time this evening, but suffice to say that it's an awful mixture of depression and heartbreak. No suicidal thoughts yet, but then again I have to sirens tomorrow alone.

It doesn't help that anytime I try to reach out for help with the things that worry me I either get 'oh, it'll work out eventually' or some variation of 'you're just not trying hard enough'. I'm sorry if my inability to concentrate around noise means that every club I've tried to go to has been a painful experience, but that's why I need help!
    if what you are describing is what I think it is, my niece and I suffer from from the same thing. She described it when she was 7 years old as 'messy head'. I found it to be amazingly accurate.

I was just at a cracker barrel restaurant when I could take the people waiting for to be seated no more and had to step outside to finish waiting with my sister-in-law and my niece inside.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

25. - Top - End - #535

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I just saw that movie like 3 days ago!
    You know why Temple of Doom sucked? No Sallah. Indy was the heart and soul, but Sallah still managed to steal the show. John Rhys-Davies is a king among actors.

26. - Top - End - #536

DwarfFighterGuy

I see. You know what they say: The more, the merrier.
    Indeed! It's going to be a riot. Especially because this WW2 one shot may also have a truck driving shoggoth as the surprise antagonist

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Indeed! It's going to be a riot. Especially because this WW2 one shot may also have a truck driving shoggoth as the surprise antagonist
    Also don' get upset if a few players may drop or die out the game. It's very common for players if the game doesn't have any interest. But other than that have fun.

28. - Top - End - #538

DwarfFighterGuy

Also don' get upset if a few players may drop or die out the game. It's very common for players if the game doesn't have any interest. But other than that have fun.
    The nice thing is I know all but one of these players in real life, we've all agreed on a start time, and we have a mid-session joining mechanic (paratrooper drop!). Honestly though, thanks for the warning! And losing a couple of players will certainly be easier to manage hahaha

29. - Top - End - #539

a random moment for me

Side employment:

sig thread is here

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    if what you are describing is what I think it is, my niece and I suffer from from the same thing. She described it when she was 7 years old as 'messy head'. I found it to be amazingly accurate.

I was just at a cracker barrel restaurant when I could take the people waiting for to be seated no more and had to step outside to finish waiting with my sister-in-law and my niece inside.
    It's an autism thing in my case, but yeah it sounds somewhat similar. I cannot deal with parties at all, but I'm okay in most situations as long as I've got something to focus on. I've also begun using my earphones as ear plugs when I can get away with it, it's not an ideal solution but when the kitchen is full of shouting people it allows me to do my work.

One of the things I've seen people fail to understand so many times is that it's not volume (at least until it's loud enough to bother other people), it's sources. Ten people whispering is so much harder for me to deal with than two people shouting at each other.

Show