New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Sooo... does it count as a successful cooking experiment if you don't make what you intended to make, but what you end up making tastes good?
    sure it does! what were trying to make, and what did it turn into?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I fell asleep during a movie for most parts at the movie theater on Saturday. Man that movie was so boring.
    what movie was it [so i don't go watch it]?
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post

what movie was it [so i don't go watch it]?
    A Dog's Journey.

3. - Top - End - #993

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    A Dog's Journey.
    thank you. I'll be sure to miss that.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

4. - Top - End - #994
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Impressive, really!
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I'm no expert in ren fairs or historical accuracy, but purely in terms of being a good outfit, I approve. I feel I ought to be humming some sort of theme music.

Edit: I can confirm that there are not spoilers for spoiler titles.
    I concur with this statement!
    Thanks! I estimate it to be roughly 0% historically accurate, but it looks cool, which is my main criteria, so I'm very happy with it. I also got a leather shoulder armor thingie at the fest, which looks totally awesome, so not I just need pants and I'll be good to go! I'm thinking leggings, because they will probably look really good with the costume and be extra incentive for me to lose weight so I don't look like the pudgy guy in leggings.
    good thing I cooked yesterday. it is raining today.
    Yeah, but it didn't rain for long and the weather got the rest of the day was delightful! That may have been belief by my tunic, which true to prior testing felt so light and breezy it was like I was shirtless (except without subjecting everyone to viewing my potato body).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Sooo... does it count as a successful cooking experiment if you don't make what you intended to make, but what you end up making tastes good?
    Duh, of course it does. Do you consider Alexander Flemming's discovery of Pencillin a failure?

ION:
    Today is a good day for a day to be a good day~ 🎂
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #996
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure many dishes that we take for granted nowadays were entirely fortuitous discoveries when somebody messed up trying to make something else, or didn't have the right ingredients and substituted what they had.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-05-21 at 01:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #997

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    .. .. .. .. .. or didn't have the right ingredients and substituted what they had.
    However, according to a lady friend when she was 19, coconut is not a good substitute for cocoa.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

8. - Top - End - #998
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was trying to make chicken with a tomato-based sauce. What I ended up making was basically a donburi with more of a soup than a sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Duh, of course it does. Do you consider Alexander Flemming's discovery of Pencillin a failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Absolutely. I'm pretty sure many dishes that we take for granted nowadays were entirely fortuitous discoveries when somebody messed up trying to make something else, or didn't have the right ingredients and substituted what they had.
    ...Fair.

However, according to a lady friend when she was 19, coconut is not a good substitute for cocoa.
    I can also say from experience that cardamom and cumin are not substitutes for cinnamon, even if they DO have near-identical containers and many of the same letters in their names.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

I hate gender reveal patties. It's a statement that you're going to try force your child to present a gender based on a work of physiology, and that you can't imagine that your kid could be anything else. Plus you're implying I care, despite the fact that I remember playing with Barbies as well as Action Man as a kid. Let the kid present naturally, and if they means a boy has long hair and wears a skirt why do you care?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I hate gender reveal patties. It's a statement that you're going to try force your child to present a gender based on a work of physiology, and that you can't imagine that your kid could be anything else. Plus you're implying I care, despite the fact that I remember playing with Barbies as well as Action Man as a kid. Let the kid present naturally, and if they means a boy has long hair and wears a skirt why do you care?
    I learned that gender reveals parties were a thing around a year ago (I think) and I still don’t get them.
    What’s the point?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

I learned that gender reveals parties were a thing around a year ago (I think) and I still don’t get them.
    What’s the point?
    The point it that, traditionally, the sex of the baby was one of the big discoveries for everyone involved during delivery ("Is it a boy or a girl?"). But technology has rendered that particular surprise moot, with both genetic tests and even basic imaging technology "spoiling" the surprise months ahead of the delivery, so instead the parents do a sort of surprise party to reveal to friends and family the sex of the fetus, filling the same traditional niche.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The point it that, traditionally, the sex of the baby was one of the big discoveries for everyone involved during delivery ("Is it a boy or a girl?"). But technology has rendered that particular surprise moot, with both genetic tests and even basic imaging technology "spoiling" the surprise months ahead of the delivery, so instead the parents do a sort of surprise party to reveal to friends and family the sex of the fetus, filling the same traditional niche.

Grey Wolf
    I mean, you can also ask your doctor not to tell you.

Then again we don’t really do parties centered around the birth either, anyway.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, but that is a massive bother. Much easier to embrace reality and adapt. People like an excuse for a party. A pregnancy party - usually done somewhere in the second semester, when it is starting to show - is a great time to also inform friends & family of the sex. And any time a surprise is involved, people will want to make it surprising. That's just human nature.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-21 at 07:55 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

14. - Top - End - #1004

I'd find them less strange and uncomfortable a concept if every gender reveal party I've ever seen wasn't one of the most extra ****ing things in existence.

Every gender reveal party I've ever seen is like "here is a massive party canon that will slowly burn out it's wick throughout the festives so that at the very peak of noon it will fire out a confetti of blue or pink glitter and ribbons and sparkles and then an autotuned DJ will start playing Boys II Men if it's blue or Brittney Spears if it's pink" and it's genuinely horrifying in a way I do not understand.

Also there's this one huge post, I can't remember where it is, where there's all this horrifyingly huge effort put into it, and it's a gender reveal party for a baby horse.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-05-21 at 08:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'd find them less strange and uncomfortable a concept if every gender reveal party I've ever seen wasn't one of the most extra ****ing things in existence.
    I've been to exactly one in my entire life (counting the one we didn't do for our own child), and it was simply cake that had blue or red colouring inside (it was in fact both, because twins, which I found particularly clever).

Every party, and indeed everything humans do, can be taken to 11 and be made stupid because of that. That doesn't mean that if dialed to the appropriateness it calls for it is still stupid.

Grey Wolf

16. - Top - End - #1006

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    YES! His petri dishes were contaminated while he was on vacation, I'd call that a pretty big failure! Same for the discovery of safety glass that's on every car now. Now, capitalizing on that failure os where they saved themselves, but jeez, talk about lucking into something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I hate gender reveal patties. It's a statement that you're going to try force your child to present a gender based on a work of physiology, and that you can't imagine that your kid could be anything else.
    We didn't have a gender reveal party, but we did have specific themes for the baby depending on whether it was a boy or girl - space for the boy, forest for the girl. Not based on gender stereotypes or anything, but based on the names we picked out for them.

Imean, I also dislike gender reveal parties, but I'm just saying there can be reasons to want others to know. Which, amusingly, don't quite apply to my own experience because....

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Sure, but that is a massive bother.

Grey Wolf
    It's really not. I wanted to know, my wife didn't, so the ultrasound tech slid me an envelope she printed off in two seconds and typed in a note for the doc. I believe it's somewhat common, at least around here, to like to not know until delivery.

Of course, I liked our way, since my wife could be happy not knowing and I could still get all the prep work done.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    we did have specific themes for the baby depending on whether it was a boy or girl - space for the boy, forest for the girl.
    We went with dragons. Dragons are great. You can kill them, befriend them, use them to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their relatives. They work wonderfully, no matter the sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's really not. I wanted to know, my wife didn't, so the ultrasound tech slid me an envelope she printed off in two seconds and typed in a note for the doc. I believe it's somewhat common, at least around here, to like to not know until delivery.
    Then you go lucky. We had a full genetic printout of our fetus pretty much from the start, and you don't need to be a genetics expert to read the 23rd chromosome pair. And yet, we had to assure no fewer than 6 lab techs/nurses/doctors that we already knew and that they needn't keep asking. It never stuck. We were assuring them it was fine to tell us all the way to the delivery.

Grey Wolf

18. - Top - End - #1008

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    While Kirby is indeed adorable, i never really got into it. I'm not really sure why? It seems like fun and whatnot, just never really got my gears going. Still i'm enjoying watching!
    Wrong thread but I saw it anyway

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrong thread but I saw it anyway
    Let's just scrub thaaaaaat....
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

What’s the point?

So they're now two prebirth parties?

First I've heard of that "tradition" despite having two kids, how are they different than "Baby Showers" (which are excuses to throw a party and beg hand-me-downs from acquaintances/friends/relatives), or is it just a new name for the same thing (like "All Gender Restroom" for what used to be labeled "Unisex restroom" in the '70's, or "Family restroom" more recently)?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Baby Showers"
    What are those?
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #1012

What are those?
    People give gifts to the couple to help them get ready for the baby, because they're expensive and friends helping share some of the costs is a nice gesture.

In party form.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    So they're now two prebirth parties?

First I've heard of that "tradition" despite having two kids, how are they different than "Baby Showers" (which are excuses to throw a party and beg hand-me-downs from acquaintances/friends/relatives), or is it just a new name for the same thing (like "All Gender Restroom" for what used to be labeled "Unisex restroom" in the '70's, or "Family restroom" more recently)?
    No, the one sex reveal party I have attended was also the baby shower.

What are those?
    A party to celebrate a pregnancy, in which silly baby-themed party games are played and the expecting person is given baby items (clothes, toys, etc) while they are still in the mood to entertain and you aren't risking the newborn by introducing them to new and exciting bacteria and virii.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-21 at 10:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

I am sick with people acting like they can block my work because apparently anger is the greatest sin. So now there's tea on the recently mopped floor and behind on my work, as well as a smashed mug (at least), and apparently the vault isn't the person who put the trolleys in a position where the only way I could do my job* was to shove two trolleys as hard as I can, it's me nebarita I bothered to shout and ask them what the logic was (it would have taken them less effort and caused less problems if they had left the trolley half a metre closer to the entrance).

Plus there's the assumption that resources are infinite. I've been yelled at for not giving people milk when there's literally no milk, as well as reminding people that the juice is for breakfast and that we need five cartons of each type (so of course every afternoon we get asked for at least four cartons of apple juice). Because apparently I have the ability to phase trolleys through reach other and conjure items or of thin air, I wish people would tell me how these powers worked

Sometimes anger and shouting are the correct response. Because apparently I work in a place where making other people's job harder is the norm, and nobody can admit that the kitchen might not have more spoons.

* And I'm literally the only one who's supposed to interact with them now, so 'it makes their job easier' is bogus.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

26. - Top - End - #1016

You've got my support, man. Working behind a counter ****ing sucks.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

You've got my support, man. Working behind a counter ****ing sucks.
    Thanks, I don't work behind a counter but it's the same level of stress.

It just pisses me off that we're treated like robots. Like, they essentially try to enforce a 'don't get angry rule', with good intentions intentions (loud voices can scare the residents), but the end result is that any outbursts that do happen are a lot worse (and I don't have significantly more outbursts than other people, I'm just very loud and get incredibly sweary when I'm at that level of anger). At this point there are times where I break down crying multiple times a week, because the work is incredibly stressful even without the assumption I should be happy all the time.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1018

At the USSRC about to see a taping of Science Friday for NPR. I'm pretty excited. And I realize it's Tuesday.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-21 at 06:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My grammar checker works wonders. I've been writing my stories using Grammarly. I'm thinking of writing a stories of D&D 3.5 Dragon Deities fighting Kaiju which the Kaiju are also Deities themselves.

30. - Top - End - #1020

OldWizardGuy

I can also say from experience that cardamom and cumin are not substitutes for cinnamon, even if they DO have near-identical containers and many of the same letters in their names.
    Also, a head of garlic and a clove of garlic are not the same amount.