Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Ooh, I'm in the market for new toilets as well. What did you end up going with?

(I'm in the somewhat awkward situation of currently having a low-end wimpy low-flow toilet in my main bathroom and an older sewer line that isn't sloped very aggressively and expects more water than it gets in these modern times. End result is that I run the bathtub in that bathroom once every few days Just In Case after some...incidents. I'm hoping a more vigorous low flow toilet will resolve the issue. It's mostly a problem in the summer when I don't otherwise use that bathtub since I mostly shower on my way into and out of the pool during pool season and the other bathroom is closer to the pool.)
    Two things that come to mind are the compressed air ULF that build up air pressure or dual flush. My recollection is that dual flush can still compare well even as you alternate between the two settings.

Compressed air is really water efficient, but would be louder.

Perhaps 2D8HP would have a bit of a more informed opinion than I.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-05-24 at 07:45 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

(I'm in the somewhat awkward situation of currently having a low-end wimpy low-flow toilet in my main bathroom and an older sewer line that isn't sloped very aggressively and expects more water than it gets in these modern times. End result is that I run the bathtub in that bathroom once every few days Just In Case after some...incidents. I'm hoping a more vigorous low flow toilet will resolve the issue. It's mostly a problem in the summer when I don't otherwise use that bathtub since I mostly shower on my way into and out of the pool during pool season and the other bathroom is closer to the pool.)
    American Standard Vormax. I can get the exact model off the box for ya when I get home, all the pictures online have ugly handles and ours has way more aesthetic handle. I wanted the self-cleaning ones, but couldn't justify paying $400 a pop when we got both the non-self-cleaners for that. At least, that's what my wife told me.

Anyway, hell of a toilet. The flush lasts maybe 1.5 seconds, and gets rid of EVERYTHING. That thing flushes with authority.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    A trade show is a convention for businesses instead of anime. I work at a law firm.
    I'm aware (of what trade shows are, not that you work at a law firm). I was making a joke at what kind of trade show based on all the coughing you apparently have going on.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatar by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    All hail the dragon.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    ....Perhaps 2D8HP would have a bit of a more informed opinion than I.

Me?

Um, a few cheap parts from Home Depot and most hardware stores and it's easy to increase the flush volume (actually with the replacement parts typically on the shelf it's hard not to) BUT THAT WOULD BE WRONG, anyway even though it would likely be years for the money saved from using less water to equal the cost, the American Standard Champion 4 has been the best for the price in my experience, the loud compressed air ones flush even better, but repairs are bit harder on those (and everything needs repair eventually).
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig

PBP's

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Me?

Um, a few cheap parts from Home Depot and most hardware stores and it's easy to increase the flush volume (actually with the replacement parts typically on the shelf it's hard not to) BUT THAT WOULD BE WRONG, anyway even though it would likely be years for the money saved from using less water to equal the cost, the American Standard Champion 4 has been the best for the price in my experience, the loud compressed air ones flush even better, but repairs are bit harder on those (and everything needs repair eventually).
    Hey, just because I'm in Engineering doesn't mean I don't realise that an expert opinion outweighs my own.
    Last edited by Mith; 2019-05-24 at 10:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1055

Hey, just because I'm in Engineering doesn't mean I don't realise that an expert opinion outweighs my own.
    I applaud this. We have a running joke at our store, if someone ever tells us they're an engineer or a nurse they're going to immediately follow it up with a massive show of pretending to know more than us what we're trying to explain to them.

All hail the dragon.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I applaud this. We have a running joke at our store, if someone ever tells us they're an engineer or a nurse they're going to immediately follow it up with a massive show of pretending to know more than us what we're trying to explain to them.
    Hell, I'm just starting my Masters. That means the farther I go along, the less I actually know.

If I am ever seem to be "showing off", it's not ego (really). It's the fact that I think (thing) is REALLY @$#%ING COOL! and feel like sharing.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Hell, I'm just starting my Masters. That means the farther I go along, the less I actually know.

If I am ever seem to be "showing off", it's not ego (really). It's the fact that I think (thing) is REALLY @$#%ING COOL! and feel like sharing.
    Guy comes in raging that the auto-off on his wife's machine isn't working. Very loudly refuses to let me touch the machine, since hes played with it and looked at every setting and found out how to go into the clinical mode and looked online for the clinical manuals and all sorts of "I know this better than you do now" hootinanny. So I go grab a mask, have him hook it up, have him turn it on, I take the mask off, count to seven, and watch the machine's auto-off kick in. Throughout the entire process he saw everything I did, and shooed my hands away before I got even within a foot of his machine. Cue the guy, actually yelling, "WHAT DID YOU PRESS?!?"

Every so often we'll get people that really do think (thing) is REALLY @$#%ING COOL! and feel like sharing. Those people I really like (because it's great to know as much about this stupid thing as possible of you're going to use it the rest of your life), and are very likely engineers, but invariably never actually say they're engineers.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-24 at 11:17 AM.

All hail the dragon.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Bugbear in the Playground

Me?

I am VERY TEMPTED to go that route. I live someplace that is not particularly short of water (I can't remember a single drought residential water restriction summer except for once in the 90's when the summer "backup" wells had to be shut down due to a chemical plume), and less than $10 of my current water bill is usage-based since I use maybe 2-3 CCF each month (there are a lot of fixed charges - the overall bill is not nearly that cheap).

I don't want a loud compressed-air system because this bathroom is right by the bedrooms and is definitely the nighttime-use bathroom. (My house basically has an "inside bathroom" near the bedrooms and an "outside bathroom" off the utility room next to the garage. The second bathroom is very convenient for the pool and yard, but it's a long walk in the middle of the night. In the winter, I pretty much leave it to the spiders and go out there occasionally to flush the toilet or run the shower. In the summer, it's almost the main bathroom during the day.)

9. - Top - End - #1059

the American Standard Champion 4 has been the best for the price in my experience
    Apparently my wife was able to just pull it up from her order history. We got the American Standard Champion. And gauging on ~9HP's opinion, I'd say the Champion line is absolutely the way to go.

All hail the dragon.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apparently my wife was able to just pull it up from her order history. We got the American Standard Champion. And gauging on ~9HP's opinion, I'd say the Champion line is absolutely the way to go.
    Amusingly, my mother used to deal with American Standard as one of her lines at work (sadly, she retired before I bought this house so I can't use her employee/family discount on plumbing stuff anymore). Sounds like they're still a decent choice. (Current toilet is a Gerber.)

Many years ago, I once had a one-day gig as a Toilet Demonstrator (or Toilet Spokesmodel, whichever) with one of the then-new American Standard low-flow toilets at an industry golf tournament. (They had a demo system not plumbed in that would cycle the same water through each time. We'd flush toys down it to demonstrate the flushing abilities and rescue them out of the back of the demo unit.) The actual job pretty much consisted of keeping drunk contractors from peeing in the demo toilet to be "funny", but it was certainly a way to spend a Saturday.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

A trade show is a convention for businesses instead of anime. I work at a law firm.
    Ooh, when did that happen? Last I remember hearing it was... what was it... family-owned shop? Or a diner? Maybe I'm misremembering. Presumably very-late congratulations on the job, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Ooh, when did that happen? Last I remember hearing it was... what was it... family-owned shop? Or a diner? Maybe I'm misremembering. Presumably very-late congratulations on the job, anyway.
    I believe it's her aunt's law firm that she works at, if I'm remembering correctly.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm aware (of what trade shows are, not that you work at a law firm). I was making a joke at what kind of trade show based on all the coughing you apparently have going on.
    Oooh, my bad. No I got sick because of residual con-crud from Ptarmicon next door.

That was a billion years ago, as of this July I'll have been working at this law firm for a year!

Also I got sick two weeks ago, in case that was the question.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I believe it's her aunt's law firm that she works at, if I'm remembering correctly.
    My aunt just works there she's not a lawyer, but yes.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-05-24 at 07:44 PM.

Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

14. - Top - End - #1064

Oooh, my bad.
    Nah, it's good to know when a joke fails. Lets me understand better how to work my material and is a little humbling.

Don't humble me too much, though.

All hail the dragon.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nah, it's good to know when a joke fails. Lets me understand better how to work my material and is a little humbling.

Being humble is a sign of Wisdom though, is it not? Don't feel like pumping that WIS score as fast as possible?

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

You sure that's even possible?

(I joke. I know you definitely own up to your own mistakes.)

17. - Top - End - #1067

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You sure that's even possible?
    I don't think any of us really want to find out.
    Being humble is a sign of Wisdom though, is it not? Don't feel like pumping that WIS score as fast as possible?
    I run on Charisma. May be why I like playing Sorcs so much.

Also, on the toilet front (because I know it's a very anticipated topic here), id like to voice my agreement with 2D8HP that the Champion 4 is, in fact, one hell of a toilet. Because despite what the Lowes receipts showed, we totally do have those as the new ones.

Spoiler: pics, so it happened
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-24 at 09:36 PM.

All hail the dragon.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Barbarian in the Playground

So this will be fairly long and drawn out and feel perfectly free to skip it, but I'm using this to organize my thoughts on a situation that occurred to me last night.

Spoiler: Spoiler for length
    Show
    My wife went over to a friend of hers house last night while I was playing Pathfinder with the kiddos. (There is nothing new or special so far). While there she came to realize that her friend (B) and she had a mutual friend with whom she had not spoken in a long time (D). They all hung out and drank. After a while my wife asked me to come pick her up so she wouldn't have to drive home intoxicated. When I arrived she wasn't there but was out helping D drop off her kids so that D could come back and hang out more. I chat with B and her husband (A) for the few minutes it takes for my wife and D to return. The first words out of D's mouth are directed to me and are "Are you mad at me?" (These are also the first words this woman had ever spoken to me as I'd never met her before). I found this unsettling but could not put my finger on it in the moment, but I will come back to that, suffice it to say that I from that moment on had my "guard up" as they say. During the course of the next few minutes (perhaps 20) of conversation which should have just been idle chit chat while my wife readied herself to come home D spoke almost exclusively to A and I. She said she was a tax preparer and was looking to help with B and A's taxes as they were having some problems with those. Then she started talking to me about my tax return this year and told me that I was wrong when I talked about the child credit we received. However, she was just mistaken in her information (which is pretty simple as far as taxes go, my wife and I file jointly without any real itemization). I am not a tax expert, but my mother is a CPA and has been for around the last 30 years or so and I've picked a bit up along the way. Also, I do pay enough attention that I know which credits I received and which I didn't. (She flitted about from subject to subject a bit (as intoxicated people are wont to do) so please forgive the seemingly random points, just understand that these occurred one after the other for no apparent reason). D then began asking (me in particular) semi personal questions such as my age and where I attended school and whatnot. She mentioned that I probably knew her boyfriend as her reason for asking those questions and I told her that it was possible, but then she never told me his name or any other such identifying information to clear up that question. That struck me as odd as well. She asked about the business that I was in after that and I told her that I managed an apartment complex for my parents. She proceeded to tell me that my parents didn't actually own the complex, they were only partners in the business and that the business I work for goes through her work to do their taxes. This is all incorrect. My mother and father own around 80 rental units under two different business names and I run one of those businesses for them (in fact I run the entirety of the business that she claimed my parents were only partners in). Mom is a CPA and does all the taxes for both rental businesses and my father's real estate business as well.

So, here is where we come to my organization of thoughts about this encounter. One small fact concerning me will probably be helpful in understanding my view on this as well. For around 10 years I worked in jails and juvenile centers as a corrections officer (detention aide in the juvenile centers but it amounts to the same thing). We were trained to recognize manipulative games that people play as a part of that and that training has served me well any number of times; however, it has also led me to make some rash judgements that were not necessarily fair.

My assessment of this situation is that D was playing a manipulative power game from the moment that she stepped out of her car. Her initial question of "are you mad at me?" was intended as a gambit so that when I said that I wasn't angry, I then could not get angry at anything she said during the course of the conversation without appearing as though I had lied to her at the beginning. I also believe that the skirting around the subject of her SO was a power game. By not volunteering the information, D was hoping that I would then fish for it by asking questions rather than just answering succinctly "It's possible." I believe that this hypothesis is somewhat supported by the fact that I caught her in three absolute lies about my family in the 20 minutes we first met and also when I told my wife about those lies (though I hadn't quite sussed out the "con game" as we would have called it in the jail) my wife told me that D had always been "somewhat of a compulsive liar" and that D had said she worked at a tax firm but couldn't do much there because she "had a record."

So, if you are still reading and care to give an opinion, what do you all think? I have tried to lay out only the pertinent information without tainting it with any bias I might have.
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-05-24 at 10:38 PM.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    So this will be fairly long and drawn out and feel perfectly free to skip it, but I'm using this to organize my thoughts on a situation that occurred to me last night.

Spoiler: Spoiler for length
    Show
    My wife went over to a friend of hers house last night while I was playing Pathfinder with the kiddos. (There is nothing new or special so far). While there she came to realize that her friend (B) and she had a mutual friend with whom she had not spoken in a long time (D). They all hung out and drank. After a while my wife asked me to come pick her up so she wouldn't have to drive home intoxicated. When I arrived she wasn't there but was out helping D drop off her kids so that D could come back and hang out more. I chat with B and her husband (A) for the few minutes it takes for my wife and D to return. The first words out of D's mouth are directed to me and are "Are you mad at me?" I found this unsettling but could not put my finger on it in the moment, but I will come back to that, suffice it to say that I from that moment on had my "guard up" as they say. During the course of the next few minutes (perhaps 20) of conversation which should have just been idle chit chat while my wife readied herself to come home D spoke almost exclusively to me and A. She said she was a tax preparer and was looking to help with B and A's taxes as they were having some problems with those. Then she started talking to me about my taxes return this year and told me that I was wrong when I talked about the child credit we received. However, she was wrong in her information. I am not a tax expert, but my mother is a CPA and has been for around the last 30 years or so and I've picked a bit up along the way and I do pay enough attention that I know what credits I received and which I didn't. (She flitted about from subject to subject a bit (as intoxicated people are wont to do) so please forgive the seemingly random points, just understand that these occurred one after the other for no apparent reason). D then began asking me in particular semi personal questions such as my age and where I attended school and whatnot. She mentioned that I probably knew her boyfriend and I told her that it was possible, but then she never told me his name or any other such identifying information to clear up that question. That struck me as odd as well. She asked about the business that I was in after that and I told her that I managed an apartment complex for my parents. She proceeded to tell me that my parents didn't actually own the complex, they were only partners in the business and that the business I work for goes through her work to do their taxes. This is all incorrect. My mother and father own around 80 rental units under two different business names and I run one of those businesses for them. Mom is a CPA and does all the taxes for both rental businesses and my father's real estate business as well.

So, here is where we come to my organization of thoughts about this encounter. One small fact concerning me will probably be helpful in understanding my view on this as well. For around 10 years I worked in jails and juvenile centers as a corrections officer (detention aide in the juvenile centers but it amounts to the same thing). We were trained to recognize manipulative games that people play as a part of that and that training has served me well any number of time; however, it has also led me to make some rash judgements that were not necessarily fair.

My assessment of this situation is that D was playing a manipulative power game from the moment that she stepped out of her car. Her initial question of "are you mad at me?" was intended as a gambit so that when I said that I wasn't angry, I then could not get angry at anything she said during the course of the conversation without appearing as though I had lied to her at the beginning. I also believe that the skirting around the subject of her SO was a power game. By not volunteering the information, D was hoping that I would then fish for it by asking questions rather than just answering succinctly "It's possible." I believe that this hypothesis is somewhat supported by the fact that I caught her in three absolute lies about my family in the 20 minutes we first met and also when I told my wife about those lies (though I hadn't quite sussed out the "con game" as we would have called it in the jail) my wife told me that D had always been "somewhat of a compulsive liar" and that D had said she worked at a tax firm but couldn't do much there because she "had a record."

So, if you are still reading and care to give an opinion, what do you all think? I have tried to lay out only the pertinent information without tainting it with any bias I might have.
    It's certainly plausible from what you've said that D was trying to con you out of something and/or fish for information. It's also possible that she was drunk and rambling half-remembered semi-nonsense. I don't think "are you mad at me" seems like much of a gambit; it doesn't make sense to me to think that saying you're not mad at the start would be in any way binding if you're later provoked. I'd have assumed I just had an unpleasant expression on at first glance. Similar with your reading of the SO bit as a "power game" maybe fishing for information, maybe trying to warm-read fake a connection you didn't have to help with the possible scam, maybe just drunk rambling, maybe the "compulsive liar" thing.

Though I've always been the sort to avoid that sort of power-play by way of missing it, or at least I think I have in retrospect, so maybe not.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #1070

It's certainly plausible from what you've said that D was trying to con you out of something and/or fish for information. It's also possible that she was drunk and rambling half-remembered semi-nonsense. I don't think "are you mad at me" seems like much of a gambit; it doesn't make sense to me to think that saying you're not mad at the start would be in any way binding if you're later provoked. I'd have assumed I just had an unpleasant expression on at first glance. Similar with your reading of the SO bit as a "power game" maybe fishing for information, maybe trying to warm-read fake a connection you didn't have to help with the possible scam, maybe just drunk rambling, maybe the "compulsive liar" thing.

Though I've always been the sort to avoid that sort of power-play by way of missing it, or at least I think I have in retrospect, so maybe not.
    The "are you mad at me?" portion would have seemed much less odd if they weren't literally the first words this woman had ever spoke to me. I had never met her before. I don't believe that I mentioned that.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

The "are you mad at me?" portion would have seemed much less odd if they weren't literally the first words this woman had ever spoke to me. I had never met her before. I don't believe that I mentioned that.
    The fact that it was a first-thing is why I don't think it makes sense as an attempt to make you not be angry. If there was some actual thing about which you might have been mad, I could see that sort of making sense. But there wasn't, as far as you've said, so it seems to make more sense to me as "maybe you looked grumpy".
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe you looked angry, and since she was the cause of the delay in picking up your wife, that would have given you a potential reason to be angry? I mean, the rest of it just sounds like someone who's trying to make themselves out to be more than they are in order to impress someone they've just met. I think reading malicious intent into it is unnecessary.

23. - Top - End - #1073

without having heard the initial tone/vocal inflection question of "Are you were mad at Me?", inquisitive vs defensive, I am reluctant to hazard a guess.

That's just......stupid. Your previous maintenance people are stupid and should feel bad about themselves.
    That may be why the owners of 2013 went through employees like water through a seive, and why they are no longer the owners. since then, there have been 2 other new owners, the present ones being the most aggressive for change
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-05-25 at 01:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?

Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    sig thread is here

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Roland's Merciful Modly Mash-up Random Banter Thread #221

Soft rules cool

25. - Top - End - #1075

If she was half drunk or more, the "are you mad at me" part makes sense, since his wife was drunk and the whole reason he was there was to get her, and D drove her kids home with wife in the car. So I'm assuming cold sober, since I think that would have been mentioned if true.

All hail the dragon.

26. - Top - End - #1076

If she was half drunk or more, the "are you mad at me" part makes sense, since his wife was drunk and the whole reason he was there was to get her, and D drove her kids home with wife in the car. So I'm assuming cold sober, since I think that would have been mentioned if true.
    She was also drinking, I had thought I had put that in there.

27. - Top - End - #1077

She was also drinking, I had thought I had put that in there.
    Aha. In that case, she may have actually meant "are you mad I drove your wife around after I drank some." Or "are you mad I made you wait for your wife." Hard to tell based on text, inflection and body language convey a lot. I'm actually more inclined to say that since you were there and got those, go with your gut.

All hail the dragon.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Is it a problem to have too much garlic?
    Yes, when you have IBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ettin in the Playground

DrowGuy

Are sharks considered to be mammals or fish?

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Are sharks considered to be mammals or fish?
    Fish, of course. In no way are they any more mammal-like than any other fish, as far as I know.
    My Homebrew