The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Tyrant's Grasp I

Henrietta

"'preciate it."

Henrietta's own preparations for slumber were comparatively simple, although there was now one more wrinkle on account of her newfound powers. After tending to the usual sharpening of her glaive and checking over of her armor, she took out a piece of paper and pen and began to write. In her short time studying under Maria, Henrietta had, like most Shelynites, been instructed in the importance of practicing a form of art, but had seen little point to the enterprise, having grown up in an environment that valued practicality above all else. But now, things were different, and putting pen to paper, Henrietta began to write. Where once mere chicken scratch might have been seen, clumsy and yet somehow elegant calligraphy began to take form as she wrote out a mantra, all the while muttering it under her breath.

What is ugly can be beautiful,
    What is discordant can be made sonorous,
    What is unlucky can yet contain good fortune.
    All is a matter of perspective,
    All has potential beauty.
    I will look for the art in the everyday,
    And stand against those who would destroy it.

When both sides of the paper were full, she neatly folded the paper up and offered a silent prayer before turning in.
    Louise (IC, OOC), Henrietta (IC, OOC)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

After some time the party awoke, prepared spells, and soon set out to tread the Dead Roads once more. The remaining tooth-faeries did not bother them, or even show themselves, as the adventurers put the Palace of Teeth behind them. The Roads appeared as they had previous: fifteen-to-twenty feet in breadth and surrounded by a silvery mist that shrouded what may lay beyond, wisdom suggesting sticking to the Roads would be the better course of action.

After some hours' march, the travelers beheld a shape appeared from out of the gloom. Looming over the road like a wizened old man, an ancient manor of dark, splintery wood rose three stories tall. Several windows and small balconies jutted from the manor irregularly, each under a sweeping eave (eight in number) of the building’s sharply pitched roof. A wide doorway stood in the front of the manor, with a greenhouse of grimy glass set against its side. The building exuded an air of gloom and age.
    See my Long Signature for games I am currently Playing and DMing
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

"Eight Eaves. Why do I feel ripped off?" Bellas stood on the road, frowning at the manor with her hands on her hips.

"Should we knock?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Not long after leaving the Palace of Teeth, Cotyledon noted that Henrietta and Gilbert still had a few minor scrapes and bruises from the previous day's adventures. She offered the two of them a small handful of bright red berries.

"Here. Eat them. They should heal the remainder of your wounds, and provide you with sufficient nourishment for the day. As for myself..."

Once again, the ghoran began to glow, light pouring out of her empty eye holes and mouth. Her colorful face petals were a stark contrast to the drab grayness of the strange realm around them.
    "...I am a primary producer."

As the group arrived at Nine Eaves, Cotyledon kept her position towards the rear of the group.
    "Perhaps one of you stealthy types should try to peak through the windows and see if there's anybody in there?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Coty uses her Daylight SLA to feed herself for the day, and also gives Henrietta and Gilbert goodberries sufficient to bring everyone to full health.

It's worth noting: the goodberries are delicious.

5. - Top - End - #485

Henrietta

Gratefully taking the berry, Henrietta popped it into her mouth idly - then practically wolfed it down with a shudder of delight as the taste hit her palate.

"That was d*** delicious. Thanks, Coty."

With the berry giving her a spring in her step, she was only happy to oblige when the topic of approaching the Eaves was breached.

"Can do."

Making her way up to the house and staying low, Henrietta first made her way to the door, listened there briefly, then made her way to the closest window.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stealth to approach the house. (1d20+11)[25] I can roll perception with a +9 modifier as needed.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

Henrietta crept up to the door to listen, but the only sound she could discern was her own quiet breathing. Slinking around to the side, she discovered a greenhouse, though the glass walls were grimy and difficult to see through in the moonlight. She did, however, note benches filled with live potted plants lining the sides of the room, bags of soil and gardening equipment stashed underneath them. Some of the bags appeared open, spilling dirt across the greenhouse floor. Strange tracks, as if left by a large earthworm, crisscrossed the dirt. A sturdy iron-framed glass door lead out of this room to
    the west.

7. - Top - End - #487

Henrietta

Henrietta returned to the others to share what she'd seen.

"Can't hear anyone inside the front door. There's also a greenhouse out the side - looks like something serpentine or wormlike went through there, based on the patterns in the soil. All things considered, I think it might be worth coming in through the front. What do you all say? Bellas, can you get us in?"

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

"Can I get us in the front door?" Bellas looked at Henrietta dubiously for a moment.

"Let's start with a knock before we progress to breaking and entering." She turned back to the door and knocked loudly. She waited and when there was no answer, she shrugged.

"Oh well, can't say I didn't try." She leaned over and peered at the door for a moment before setting to work disabling the lock.

Take 20 on DD
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

Delicately, Bellas inspected the handle and probed at it with her pick. To her surprise, the door was neither locked nor trapped, and after a careful, quiet turn, swung inward to reveal the manor's vestibule. Weak light thrown by two dim lamps barely illuminated a vestibule with several coatracks, benches, and an iron umbrella stand. The wallpaper was stained with age and decorated with repeating patterns of snails. A sliding double door lead to the north. The coatrack held a single, large cloak.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Map Link

Note: ALL doors, aside from exterior doors, are sliding doors. Doors that lead to balconies are glass.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-11-16 at 08:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

While Bellas busied herself with examining the door, Cotyledon got down on her knees and began digging a small hole in the dirt with her bare hands, an easy enough task for her hard, root-like fingers.

After a small hole was dug, she tapped the edge of the depression with one of the wands the group had recovered, filling it with water. She then clasped her hands together and asked for a minor blessing from the spirits, turning the water into red wine.

"Drink, everyone. This should lend us all some clarity of mind as we explore this new place."

After drinking from the wine herself, she placed a hand on Gilbert, hardening his skin with a similar texture and consistency to her own flesh.
    "A bit of protection for you, Gilbert."

Show

Coty will make some water, and turn it into wine with Tears to Wine. Everyone that drinks the wine, herself and Shrine included, get a +2 to WIS and INT based skills for 30 mins.

She will also hit Gilbert with Barkskin, giving him +2 natural armor for 30 mins.

11. - Top - End - #491

Henrietta

Upon seeing that Bellas had managed to open the door without suffering any traps or having to open any locks, Henrietta took a moment to consider things.

"On one hand, the fact it isn't trapped or locked could mean that whoever's here's friendly. On the one hand, they could also be trying to catch us off guard. Gah, I hate stupid stuff like this."

She gratefully accepted some of the wine that Coty offered. "I definitely will have some of that. Er, thanks."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas cocked an eyebrow at the ground-wine but shrugged and bent over to fill her cup. She walked into the vestibule with cup in hand and sipped it experimentally.

"Hello! Is anybody home? You have guests... we brought wine."
    #Notallinfluencers

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

Bellas calls out, but no reply can be heard. There was only the open door behind them or the sliding door to the north.

Show
    All is quiet!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas paused, alert for any trouble or signs of traps but finding none, she slowly slid open the northern door and peered through the crack she had made.

"Hello? The front door was unlocked. We... came in. Which is the danger of leaving your front door unlocked." She turned her face back to the others and shrugged.
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

Bellas cracked the door just enough to peer into the next room. A massive staircase of dark wood rose to the north, its maroon carpet pitted with age. The railings were carved to resemble ascending ghosts. The wall atop the stairs bore an enormous, looming portrait 6 feet wide and 9 feet tall. The portrait depicted a bearded older man with curling ram horns, hunched under the weight of a massive snail shell on his back. The figure bore a half grin, as though he knew a particularly delightful secret. A chandelier of iron and glass hung down above the stair’s lower landing from the ceiling 20 feet above, its few lit candles flickering weakly. From the lower landing, two different sliding doors led to the west and east. From the upper landing, sliding double doors led to the east and west—one on each side of the looming portrait.

Spoiler: Bellas
    Show
    You can spot a tiny creature that appears to be hiding in the chandelier. You aren't sure what it is, but it resembles some horrid cross between a bat and a mosquito.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-11-23 at 07:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas pulled her head back into the room and carefully slid the sliding door shut.

"There's some horrid mosquito-bat thing hiding in the chandelier."
    #Notallinfluencers

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon loaded her crossbow, doing her best to appear like a fighter-type person.
    "Well, since nobody seems to be home, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we did them a favor and engaged in some pest control?"

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then, after you." Bellas slid the door open with a flourish and gestured with a graceful sweep of her hand.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2019-11-27 at 10:05 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

19. - Top - End - #499

Henrietta

"I can also help with that. Turns out The Eternal Rose gave me a little ace in the hole for ranged situations."

Henrietta waited for Coty to open fire first, but then opened fire herself.

Show
    If/when Coty fires, and if Henrietta goes before the mosquito-bat does, she will use Acid Splash

Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (1d3)[2]

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

It turned out that the strange little creature was aware of the presence of the adventurers, and so it was not taken by surprise, though Bellas, Coty, and Vesper managed to move faster than it.

Show
    Bellas, Coty, and Vesper win initiative. Then the critter, and then Gilbert and Henrietta.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Coty's crossbow was just for show; she lingered near the doorway and laid down a hex upon the creature.

Show

Coty will put the Evil Eye hex on our mosquito boy. DC 14 Will save or take a -2 to AC for 6 rounds, 1 round if it makes the save.

22. - Top - End - #502

Henrietta

Show
    The following post is a transfer from Age of Worms, which I made by mistake. I am reproducing my rolls as they were originally done, but I can reroll if needed.

Grabbing her glaive, Henrietta jabbed at the stirge that had attached itself to Bellas.

Show
    Attack S4: 23
    Damage: 13

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

Re-posting this over here after accidentally posting in the wrong place...

Nine-Eaves

Vesper casually flicked a card at the horrid little beast, and the creature dropped from the chandelier to land dead upon the floor. This prompted an exodus from the chandelier of three more of the little beasts, which had been hiding within. Henrietta's glob of acid took one in the abdomen (but didn't drop it) while the three made for Bellas with their little proboscises extended.

Show
    Bellas may now use her readied attack. She should also get an AoO against any of them. Henrietta hits S3 for 2 points of acid damage. Then you all are up again, but the S4 manages to attach itself to Bellas.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

"EW, little monsters..." Bellas grimaced as the disgusting mosquitos closed in on her.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Attacking the stirges
    Held action
    (1d20+8)[23]
    damage
    (1d10+5)[15]
    AoO
    (1d20+8)[23]
    damage
    (1d10+5)[8]
    Attack for the turn
    (1d20+8)[13]
    damage
    (1d10+5)[15]
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

Between Bellas's skill with her blade and Henrietta's quick reaction with her glaive, the remaining three stirges were quickly dispatched, leaving a small (but gory) mess upon the floor of the manor.

As the final stirge body hit the floor, the painting above the stair stirred, or rather the face within the painting did and began to speak. “Well, well. Things aren’t as hopeless as I’d feared, then! Welcome to Nine-Eaves. The master of the manor, Kishokish, has been betrayed and captured. While I bear his appearance, I am little more than a host for his little parties and puzzles. Sahkils, wicked creatures that prey upon torment and fear, have invaded Nine-Eaves. Will you help?”

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I'm starting to notice a pattern here, thought Cotyledon as she spoke towards the painting.

"If we help free the master of this place, would he grant us safe passage across the Dead Roads?"

More quietly she muttered to her companions, "I think we can all guess the answer. I believe once we give this place a thorough smashing and slicing we can be on our way..."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

"Yes, most assuredly." The painting nodded. "Or at least part of the way. My master possesses a stamp that will help you travel further along the Dead Roads once you are marked with it like unto the marks you already bear."

28. - Top - End - #508

Henrietta

"Well, then, you've got yourselves a group of housecleaners,"
    said Henrietta. "Don't suppose you could tell us what room your master's tied up in, could you? Or even a general idea?"

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

Nine-Eaves

"I cannot, unfortunately," the painting said, sounding sad. "Until you solve a puzzle! You see, my master has locked away certain items of information behind various puzzles to prevent visitors from, ahem, "cheating" as he called it. I'm sorry. I do have important information to share with you, but I am bound by my master's affinity for games and puzzles. I will warn you: many of the rooms in this manor have strange effects originally designed as component pieces for other puzzles, and I do not know how the sakhil invaders may be using them."

With that, the figure in the painting waved a hand, causing an image to appear. "This is the first puzzle! There are two tasks here. First, you must tell me the proper order of these images, and second, draw for me the image that would follow next."

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge (Planes): Coty
    Show
    You recognize the creature in the painting as a Shoki Psychopomp. Shokis are the collectors of lingering souls, tasked with compelling even the most deluded beings to take the first step into the afterlife. Their tactics are varied, but most start by counseling the wayward dead using theosophical arguments and blunt warnings about the ravenous things that wait to feed upon lost spirits. Each shoki bears powerful tools to aid it in such pursuits—eclectic collections of holy symbols and withered staves of cold iron capable of imprisoning a single soul at a time. Shokis use their staves against only the most stubborn or demented souls, whom they capture and personally escort to Purgatory for judgment. You know that they have a host of immunities and possess the ability to lock a soul inside the magical staves that they carry.

You aren't really familiar with Sakhils other than the fact that they are psychopomps who have abandoned their duties.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Planes): Bellas and Henrietta
    Show
    Psychopomps oversee one of the most fundamental functions of the multiverse: the progress of mortal souls.

Through this infinite cycle of lives, deaths, and rebirths, the forces of the planes calibrate and evolve. Psychopomps serve as caretakers of this process, yet no matter their might or influence, they all know their place, their duty, and a shared secret: that the order of the planes is not perfect, and that one distant day it will end. For most psychopomps, this burdensome truth reinforces the great need for their diligence in fending off the decay of all things. For others, it is an onrushing nihilistic destiny.

And for the most brazen, selfish psychopomps, it is a reason to rebel.

Those psychopomps that dissent are known as sahkils.

Not content to serve as clerks in an endlessly deteriorating cycle of meaningless lives, these former psychopomps abandoned their duties. Escaping the strictures of their previous brethren, they flee to the empty places of reality—most congregating in the misty Ethereal Plane.

There, where the great procession of newly departed souls endlessly marches toward judgment, death’s rebels remake themselves. Embracing the dread with which mortals already view them, they restyle themselves as tyrants of terror. No longer servants to souls, they would become their terrifying masters. Reality’s days might be numbered, but for those finite eons, sahkils resolve to rule.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-12-05 at 12:31 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas stared at the puzzle for a bare minute before she pulled a journal out of her pocket and scribbled something on it.

"You mean like this?" She held her solution up to the picture for judgement.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    pic posted on skype
    #Notallinfluencers