New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Tyrant's Grasp I

Roslar's Tomb

In quick succession the skeleton and its passenger, an abyssal magical beast called an ostovite, are reduced to smithereens. Sorting through the remains of the remains in the room reveals a few treasures. Looking south, you see another short hallway, into which a niche is cut. This holds still more treasures. The hallway continues south.

Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    You find a Mwk Heavy Mace, and three pearls (each worth 20gp).

In the niche you find a dozen candles, a silver holy symbol of Aroden, a wand of create water (28 charges), five potions of cure light wounds, and a healer's kit.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-03-03 at 11:26 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

"At least the place is well stocked." Kali was a little upset at being late to the fight, but not that much. "Oi, Percival, they're going to leave us behind if we don't keep up."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon gingerly entered the room where the brief scuffle had occurred. Her empty eyes gazed for a moment at the man in purple motley. She picked up the playing cards he had thrown into the room for some reason, dusting them off with her vine-like hands and offering them to the man awkwardly.
    "Sir... I do not think that is how you play Belkzen Hold'em. I do not believe ostovites are card sharps, for that matter."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Henrietta

"To arm-"

Hoisting her glaive, Henrietta never got the chance to swing it, as the gravedigger utterly pulverized the skeleton and the elf skewered the... thing that came out of it. Henrietta stood and blinked dumbly for a second.

"Well, that was quick."

Walking over to the niche, she looked over what Gilbert and Bellas had found. "I'll take one of those potions. I work best on the front line and I'd like a way to patch myself when another one of those manages to nick me."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

"I missed!" the man sulked, but continued to cut the deck of playing cards with rapid, single-handed flourishes. "I know it's unusual, but I'm actually deadly with these. I'm also a competent pugilist and a novice wizard."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert nods and mumbles approval at Bellas as she kills the strange bug. He does his best to ignore the others happily looting the tomb, but maybe it's their tomb. That makes it their stuff? He wasn't sure and opted to continue down the hallway with the lantern held high.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

The marble walls of this large hall are carved with several images of battle, each featuring a knight astride a lean horse. The knight wears no helmet and has long hair and a wide mustache. In each of the images, the knight is charging at undead horrors with a rapier in hand.

Two halls lead out of the western portion of this room, one to the north and one to the south. Three large archways lead out of the room to the east. The archway to the northeast is carved with the words “At My Right Hand, Peace for Years of Righteous Labors”; the archway to the east is carved with the words, “Roslar: Hero and Paladin at His Well-Earned Rest;” and the archway to the southeast reads, “Loyal Abdell, Support Thy Master Always.” Sprawled in the center of this room is a human-sized metal figure that resembles a skeleton wrapped in robes. The limbs of the figure are askew and melted, as though with acid.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spoiler: Coty, History Check
    Show
    You know that Roslar was enamored with Arazni, the angelic Red Crusader, herald of Aroden and patron saint of the Knights of Ozem. You also recall that a cloud of scandal hung over Roslar after his heroic death. Furthermore, you recall that Abdell was Roslar’s favorite horse.

Spoiler: Vesper, Planes Check
    Show
    Upon examining the carvings closely, you can see that in addition to mortal companions, a slender, winged woman with a heart-shaped face and long hair, is depicted looking down benevolently on Roslar. This image represents Arazni. You recall how, late in the Shining Crusade, the Whispering Tyrant captured and killed Arazni, and that she was later animated as a lich bride by the evil ghost wizard Geb during the failed Second Crusade.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-03-04 at 10:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Henrietta

"So... judging by the pattern so far, I'd guess we're inside Roslar's Tomb. Guess this means we weren't taken far... although with my luck we'll probably be mobbed when we get out for ruining one of the local attractions."

Henrietta's gaze turned to the melted metal figure and shuddered.

"Also, that's not creepy at all."

She gazed long and carefully at the figure, as if daring it to come to life and attack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Take 20 on Perception for 27 to see if there's anything suspicious about the figure.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

As Henrietta and Gilbert approach the mangled remains, Gilbert is able to identify the creature as a Celedon. As he stares at the construct, the parts shift and a second ostovite wriggles free, hissing at him.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Bellas, Henrietta, Vesper, Gilbert, and Coty all win initiative.

Spoiler: Gilbert, Arcana Check
    Show
    Celedons are constructs forged of extraplanar metals for the purpose of serving a single deity. Most spend their entire existence tending to a single holy place, repeating rituals, perfecting services, or creating new works to laud their particular deity. Gilbert would know that they are sometimes also placed in tombs as well, which might account for the general cleanliness of the place.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert frowned hard at the bug as it emerged from the dead celedon. Celedons were pretty high on Gilbert's list of fancy tomb features he really wanted to see. This was just upsetting. He readied his hammer and swung with a bit of extra frustration.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    get hammer, swing.
    To-hit (1d20+7)[12]
    Damages (3d6+6)[17]
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon gazed at the various writings and embellishments of this nexus of the tomb, and seemed poised to speak, when the ostovite attacked.

The ghoran's face petals shifted into a frown as she spoke a word of power, trying to render the creature dumbstruck.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Coty will cast Daze on the thing. DC 13 Will save or it's dazed for 1 round, assuming it has 4 HD or less and is subject to mind-affecting. Lemme know if SR is required.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Vesper rounds the corner with wordless protest and flings a card towards the abyssal creature.

Spoiler: Point Blank Shot
    Show
    (1d20+5)[19]
    (1d4+2)[5]

13. - Top - End - #43

Henrietta

"Freaking called it."

Hoisting her glaive, and stopping to gaze for a moment at Vesper's continued use of cards as a weapon, she rushed forward and brought her polearm down in an arc, intent on slicing the creature in half.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attack the Ostovite!

Attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[10]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

The ostovite is quickly dispatched, and to the victor goes the spoils. Poking through the remains of the celadon, the tomb-dwellers discover a masterwork short sword decorated with a spiraling comet, the symbol of Pharasma.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Mwk Short Sword.

Which direction do you go?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Vesper said nothing, but emphatically gestured to the Queen of Hearts, wedged an inch deep in the creature's carapace.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon walked the perimeter of the room, her hand on the wall, looking over the inscriptions of the archways.

"...This way likely leads to Roslar's personal tomb, while the other leads to the grave of his steed, Abdell. I do not know who the laborers at the paladin's right hand were. Perhaps it leads back to the Red Shrikes' tomb?"

17. - Top - End - #47

Henrietta

Watching as the ostovite was cleaved completely in half by her blade, Henrietta took a couple of deep breaths before lifting her glaive out of the ground and wiping it off.

"Not going to lie, that was very therapeutic."

At Coty's musings, she added some of her own.

"Which means the unmarked entryway is probably the most direct way out. Then again, when are things that easy?"

Henrietta's face was scrunched up, lost in thought. "The one with 'laborers' could be the tomb of the real Red Shrikes, or it could be some other people he felt deserved to rest along with him. Of course, the real question is, how curious are we to find out? All a matter of picking our poison, I guess."

She then turned to Vesper.
    "Speaking of curious... Obviously there's no denying at this point that works." She gestured to the Queen of Hearts embedded in what was left of their foe. "My question is 'why and how'?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-03-05 at 08:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

"Because no one ever says, 'Oi mate, you can't have weapons in here. You have to leave your cards at the door!'" Vesper imitated a loutish doorman.

"And if you insist you can cut an apple in half with a playing card at thirty paces, lots people will call you a liar and wager coin that you can't."

He picked his lit card and flung it into the north-eastern passage. "Something magic is that way. I can feel it."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Nothing seemed to respond to the thrown card. Vesper could see into the chamber now. What appeared to be stone bunks were stacked against the perimeter, though no corpses were present, having long since fallen victim to the ostovites. A faint magical aura came from the northeastern section.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Using a simple divination, Coty spied some manner of magical aura in the northeastern room where the glowing card had been thrown.

"Something magical awaits within... not just the spell on that card, mind you. Might Percival take point? He has less to risk than the rest of us."

Coty followed the more combat capable individuals into the room when they were ready.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Sir Percival marches into the room and surveys his surroundings. Directed toward the source of magical energy, he finds the source just out of his reach, despite his 6'4" height. He will have to climb the stone shelves/slabs.

22. - Top - End - #52

Henrietta

Satisfied that nothing was going to jump out at or stab them - at least not immediately - Henrietta followed behind Percival and followed the inevitable's gaze.

"Looks like whatever it is is up there... I don't suppose anyone's willing to climb up and check it out? Not me, though. If it's a trap I'd be able to do nothing."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-03-06 at 07:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

As Percival begins to climb with Henrietta's help, the stone suddenly gives way. It falls toward the pair in rather large chunks, but Henrietta manages to dodge. Percival is not so lucky.

However, they have their prize (prizes, rather): Digging in the rubble, Henrietta finds a single Bead of Blessing and an ancient wedding ring with the inscription, "For Aloisius; my love, my heart, my morning dove.” The ring is worth 85gp.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Percival takes 11 damage. The stones miss Henrietta.
    Loot:
    Wedding Ring worth 85gp
    Bead of Blessing (from a Strand of Lesser Prayer Beads)

24. - Top - End - #54

Henrietta

As the shelf began to collapse, Henrietta noticed the slabs beginning to cave. With years of practiced instinct, she leapt backwards, landing on her rear and blinking at the sight. After a couple moments, she chuckled lightly.

"Crushed by a shelf... what an obituary that would have been."

After a moment, she realized that she was not, in fact, alone, and had the decency to look somewhat abashed as she looked toward Kali. "Erm. Apologies about your, erm, companion. Will you be able to resummon him?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can, but..." An armored fist thrust itself skyward from the rubble. "I'm not dead yet!"

"Not for lack of trying, mind you." Kali helped him out of the pile of debris. "Be more careful out there. Just because you come back doesn't mean I like seeing you get hurt."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Coty stared at the prayer bead, clutched daintily in her vine-fingers.
    "This bead contains a simple blessing. A modest boon, but one I can utilize. It ought to give us all a small boost in morale."

The ghoran shifted her oddly disconcerting stare to Percival and Kali.
    "I am sorry I asked your eidolon to take the brunt of the risk. It was not my place to dictate the deployment of a shard of your own soul with callous disregard. But it seems our situation is far from safe, and your eidolon is... more expendable than the rest of us. I possess healing magic myself, but my current seed is young and lacking in strength."
    Coty pauses, trying to think of a better turn of phrase.
    "That is... I do not have... a great deal of restorative magic. Not yet. My selfish impulse is to save it lest our situation grow more dire. I understand eidolons cannot be truly slain whilst their summoner lives. I do not wish to seem... cold."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2019-03-07 at 03:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Vesper approaches the unmarked southwestern arch and flings a lit card through. He can see that the hallway broadens to match the alcove opposite to the north and spies what appears to be the remains of a large beetle on the floor.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Vesper flicks cards at the beetle's corpse until he's satisfied that it won't attack anyone.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

The card nudges the beetle and a pair of angry ostovites crawl out. He can see a very faint glow coming from within each of the abyssal magical beasts.

Spoiler: Fight!
    Show
    Bellas and Henrietta win initiative.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas watched Vesper flick cards at the corpse with some amusement until more ostovites made themselves known.

"This place is infested. I think you've made them angry."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Attack
    (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage
    (1d10+5)[11]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers