New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Tyrant's Grasp I

Henrietta

"Name's Henrietta, just in case any of you missed it the first time. I know you didn't at least."
    Henrietta looked to Coty.

With Kali's declination of the cards, Henrietta saw that Gilbert was also not opting to step forward. "Jack beats a 10, I believe, so that leaves it to me."

Unbuckling her cloak, Henrietta pulled her chain shirt over her head and tossed it to the floor before going about the task of buckling up the breastplate. As she cinched the final piece into place, she took a look back down to the discarded armor, then to the rest of the party.

"Don't suppose any of you want to borrow that or'd be willing to carry it, do you? It's a bit heavy for me to carry that while I'm wearing this thing, but it'd be a shame to ditch it."

Silence.

"Well, if no-one wants to borrow it..."
    Henrietta tossed it at Gilbert. "Hold onto that, would you? Thanks."

With the chain shirt taken care of, Henrietta made her way toward the door at the southern end of the room, listening carefully at it before attempting to open it.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Henrietta has moved on the map to the door she wants to open. She will take 20 on Perception to listen at it and check for traps before attempting to open it.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-03-30 at 02:09 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

After making sure it was clear of traps, Henrietta tried the door. Having no lock, it swung open, gliding nearly silently on hidden hinges. Within Henrietta could see that the walls of the room were carved with strange sigils in broad circles. In the center of the room stood a stone pillar with a large wedge of crystal atop it; the pillar and the floor around it covered with more of the strange glyphs. Curled up next to the pillar was the husk of a small blue humanoid (another seemingly dead mite). The only door in this room lead out to the north.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The crystal looks rather valuable. The mite's corpse has a bulging pouch upon its belt.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-03-30 at 10:51 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon took a few tentative steps into the strange room.

"These sigils... are wards. But it seems their magic has been expended. Perhaps they were protecting this... crystal. Or maybe they were defending the tomb itself? The danger... may have passed."

The ghoran kneeled next to the dead mite, examining the contents of the pouch at their belt.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Upon the body of the recently-dead mite, Coty found a masterwork dagger, six darts, and inside the pouch an ornately-carved jasper figurine of a frog.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    1 x Mwk Dagger
    6 x Darts
    1 x Jasper Frog worth 25gp

5. - Top - End - #155

Henrietta

"All the same, I'm going to err on the side of caution and not touch the crystal,"
    said Henrietta. "Odds are likely as not whatever was in the wards is in there. Unless it just escaped altogether, which is its own problem, but we'll get to that when we get to it."

Now satisfied that the room was clear, Henrietta moved to the north side of the room, checking the westernmost of the northern doors.

Show
    Same as before. Take 20 on perception to check the westernmost north door for traps and listen for anything on the other side, then open it up.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Vesper lingered a moment, padding around the sigil on the floor. Then he took a few paces back and made a running leap across the likely spent magical trap, snatching the crystal and saying, ""Desna smite me of this is grave robbing."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[18] acrobatics check?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

The glyphs were indeed spent, but Vesper closed his hand around an even greater danger: the milky-white crystal at the center of the room. As he grasped the crystal, a vision flashed before him: A ghostly scowling face briefly filled the crystal, and a stab of pain shot up his arm toward his heart. And then a strange thing happened: Something within Vesper seemed to absorb most of the damage and the pain faded away into a dull ache before that too finally dissipated.

Show
    You take 1 point of negative energy damage as the whatever-it-is inside the crystal lashes out at you.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

"Cheeky. That doesn't count, though," he grunted, turning the crystal over to examine it better. He tapped it a few times, held it up to his ear, then licked it. "See, this is why no one likes paladins. They die and people piss away thousands of gold building them these big tombs that always ****ing get haunted! Every single time! You ever been in a nonhaunted paladin tomb? No! They don't exist. Now when normal people die, they just go in the ground and all of their possession go to their family to be enjoyed and pawned off! No one's leaving traps and spooky zapping crystals around my grave! I have specifically requested to be cremated anyway."

9. - Top - End - #159

Henrietta

"Can't say I've ever been in any sort of paladin tomb, haunted or non-haunted. People get freaked out when I go into graveyards. Or just when they see me in general, really."

Henrietta continued to examine the door.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Henrietta found the door to be unremarkable, though as with the rest of the tomb it did appear well made. She did not see a lock or trap of any kind. Opening the door, she found a room not unlike the one in the opposite corner of the current level, but instead of busts she found murals around the room depicting several weapons, including many different rapiers and several lances. Each weapon depicted had a plaque next to it. A door stood in the south wall (the one through which she entered), and stairs occupied an alcove to the west.

The room was not unoccupied, however, and Henrietta found herself face-to-face with a metallic sculpture of an idealized humanoid figure. Before her eyes it seemed to sparkle with divine energy. "Intruder!" it shouted at her, and switched the point of a short sword it was holding over toward her. "You dare defile this holy sanctum!"

Spoiler: Initiative!
    Show
    Coty, Gilbert, Henrietta, and Vesper win initiative. Then the Celedon goes. Then Bellas and Kali/Percival.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-03-31 at 10:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Henrietta

"I'm not here by choice!"

Rushing forward, Henrietta swung her glaive toward the construct, intent on taking it down.

Show
    Move to BF18.

Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[9]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon could only wring her wrists in distress.
    "Oh no! You're the first intelligent thing we've come across here! Please, we don't know how we all arrived here. Let's stop fighting!"

Show

Coty will do her best to try and call for nonviolence.
    Diplomacy? (1d20+6)[20]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprisingly Gilbert followed the plant woman's lead, he lowered his hammer and fished a holy symbol of Pharasma out of his shirt to hold out towards the Celedon.

"I am a gravekeeper. Please, we awoke in tombs. We do not know how we got here."

Show

Diplomacy? ha ... hahaha.

(1d20-2)[-1]
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Taken aback by the ferocity of Henrietta's strike, the Celedon lowered its short sword. "I yield!" It swiveled its head to gaze upon Coty (passing by Gilbert without acknowledgement), its unblinking eyes trying to take the measure of her words. "It has been decreed that I and my brethren tend this tomb and keep intruders out. We have failed in our duty." If a construct could appear crestfallen, surely this example gave evidence to that. "What is it you seek here among the dead?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon stepped forward, making a placating gesture to the fierce Henrietta.

"You are to keep intruders out... yet we came from within. All of us awoke inside the tomb, on the level below. Literally entombed... in coffins of stone. Thankfully we were able to escape, and we have been wandering this place trying to find the exit ever since. We have no intention of defiling this place. You have not failed in your duty, at least... not where we are concerned.

I am Cotyledon, a newcomer in these lands. I would offer to heal your wounds... but you do not seem to be... flesh?"

16. - Top - End - #166

Henrietta

Having been in the middle of another wind-up, Henrietta stopped cold when Coty stopped the fighting - and when the guardian of the tomb yielded. Slowly hoisting her glaive back onto her back, she stepped away and let the people who were actually trained at talking take care of things.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

"You may call me Number Three," the Celedon answered. "I admit my confusion, however. Nothing has passed the doors of this tomb in several years save myself and the other attendants. We have found several infestations of vermin and some small, strange humanoids. They are violent and destructive, but cowardly. I believe they entered through a crack in the Middle Hall, which we have tried to patch...yet you are too big to have fit. We were placed here to guard the resting place of the hero Roslar and his attendants."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2019-04-02 at 10:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Coty felt an odd pang of sympathy for the strange guardian, whose creators had barely even stopped to consider giving it a name.

"...If you could point us toward the exit... We would trouble you no more, and let you return to your duties. I am sorry you were damaged by our... actions. When you find yourself entombed, and then encounter nothing but hostile vermin, one has a tendency to get... jumpy?"

19. - Top - End - #169

Henrietta

Henrietta rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, some redness staining her grey cheeks.

This must be that 'remorse' Maria used to lecture about.

"Yeah... I'm sorry I damaged you,"
    she said. "Like Coty said, you're the first thing we've seen that's tried to talk. Everything else has just tried to kill us." She then got a serious look on her face. "Has anything else besides the mites come through here? They're a bit small to have dragged us into the tomb and put us in coffins."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

"They are called mites then? I shall remember this. Yes," the Celedon confirmed. "I was assaulted by a worm-like creature. I fought it off and it fled up those stairs," the Celedon added, gesturing to the stairs leading up out of the room. "I also fought these mites you speak of. Their leader is holed up in the chamber east of our current location. In my damaged condition, I am unlikely to prevail, but if you would honor the dead, I ask that you dispatch the foul creatures. I have no reward to offer you, but you may keep whatever treasures you find. We seek simply to repair the damage done to the tomb and preserve it for future use."

"If you seek the way out, you will need to go up these stairs, pass through the Grand Hall, and head east. There are two hallways leading north and south that bend in that direction. Either will lead you to the exit. You will likely meet with my brothers, Number One and Number Two. They will challenge you."

21. - Top - End - #171

Henrietta

"Thanks for the heads up," said Henrietta. "Hopefully meeting your brothers goes a bit more smoothly."

She then turned to the others. "I know we all want to get out of here, but... any objections to mopping up the mites and the worm?"

Normally I would, but it feels a bit dickish to just leave after damaging this... gal, I guess?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellas

"No hard feelings, I'd attack us too if I met us here." Bellas relaxed fractionally, mostly belied by a shift in the tense set of her shoulders.

"We should see about sealing up that crack in the Middle Hall while we're at it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

23. - Top - End - #173

Henrietta

Seeing that no-one had objected, Henrietta headed in the direction in which the Celedon had indicated they could find the worm.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Henrietta wrenched the door open and stuck her head inside just fast enough to see a pair of the blue creatures they'd encountered minutes before scramble into (ineffectual) hiding spots among shelves lining the walls of the room. The shelves themselves were crammed with ornamental weapons, tapestries, and trophies. Most had been torn or broken, and several lay smashed on the floor.

25. - Top - End - #175

Henrietta

"You can run, but you can't hide!"

Going to the center of the room, Henrietta thrust her glaive toward where the easternmost mite was hiding.

Show
    Going to assume the Mite has total concealment among the junk.

(1d100)[87] 1-50 is a hit, 51-100 is a miss.

Attack: (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[13]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Henrietta's strike goes wide and bisects a shelf instead of a mite. Too tricky!

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Gilbert wins initiative. Only Gilbert. o.o

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Gilbert looked at his hands, hammer in one, mithril chain in the other, then gave an audible, but muffled, sigh through a mouth full of lantern handle. Maybe he should have stopped to put the armor in his bag? Henrietta had told him to hold it though...

He swung at a mite with a handful of balled mithril.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Attack with a chainshirt! (1d20+7)[9] Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Roslar's Tomb

Out jumped a quartet of mites, grasping small weapons in their horrid little hands. One wore a crown seemingly crafted of insect shells. "Barple Stonebreaker demand tribute!" he shouted in broken Common. "Drop weapons! Give gold and food!" Without waiting to see if Henrietta and Gilbert would comply, Barple let fly a stone from his sling, aiming at Henrietta. The other three mites attacked their closest adversaries with daggers.

Spoiler: Barple Stonebreaker
    Show

Show
    All four mites miss their attacks. You are all up. Barple is standing at the top of a 10'-tall shelf in the corner of the room, just out of Henrietta's reach...for the moment.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Cotyledon, seeing the room brimming with multiple foes, began to make strange geometric gestures with her hands, while chanting in a droning voice.
    "Yu-yu yu-yu yu-yu yu-yu..."

Show

Coty will begin casting Sleep as a full round action.

30. - Top - End - #180

Henrietta

"You are out of your league! If you have any sense, you'll surrender now!"

Henrietta then quickly dodged backwards before cutting down toward one of the two who'd tried to attack her with knives.

Show
    5 foot step, then attack M3.

Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[14]
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2019-04-08 at 08:22 AM.