The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Let's Play a Game OOC

This is my first time running anything on giantitp, so bear with me if you would. Welcome to the game.

Link to Recruitment Thread
    Recruitment Thread 2
    Link to IC Thread
    Dice Rolls

(This link is a work in progress. Do not post here. Nothing you see here is final. This is an effort to define the world more deeply, and most of it won't come out the way it looks now.)
    Setting

Username Narrative Character
    ErebusVonMori Olethrofex Shambling Vashar (Mythic Necromancer Human Zombie)
    Spoiler: Mordecai
    Show
    Death was to Mordecai the great insult, the ultimate disregard by the gods for their creation. That they in their immortality should bestow upon their creations anything less than the same was nothing short of a travesty. A necromancer in life plumbed the very depths of mortality and its meaning, searching for some trick, some mechanism, what it was that made them less than eternal, that subscribed to them their short turn of the hourglass, their allotted hour beneath the scythe. He found nothing. He died still searching.

And yet he did not die, not truly, whether through sanity-shattering defiance at an unfair universe, whether through some secret he saw and did not know it, death did not take. He returned changed, he returned joyous, charitable and generous, he returned mad.

Now his arrival at a city is a time of reckoning and confrontation for he brings his Gift everywhere he goes and seeks to give it to all who desire it. To mould them like him. For if he cannot grant all life eternal he can at least stop death. So weep ye mayflies and rejoice, for Mordecai the Generous walks among you...
    Stevesciguy Sleeping Mountain Teramach (Mythic Giant Barbarian)
    Spoiler: Korrog
    Show
    Korrog was the sole survivor of the destruction of his village, destroyed by the roving monsters that began to appear in the aftermath of the rebellion. His rage at the monsters for their deeds, at the world for allowing it to happen, and at himself for not being able to save his friends and family, combined into a malignant force that broke something inside him. Like a dam breaking open, the rage flowed out, and he annihilated the creatures for what they'd done. But it wasn't enough. He tore a path through forests and mountains, destroying everything he met. He tried to channel it into a worthy cause, but for every bandit hideout he destroyed, an entire village would go missing overnight. While the monsters that killed his village may be dead, they'd had the last laugh: unable to control his rage, Korrog was now a Monster himself.

Now he wanders, seeking a way to redeem himself, to become more than just another Monster.
    PeacefulOak Eoteras (Mythic Force of Nature)
    Spoiler: Eowyn the Wild
    Show
    The old woman rocks on her chair, the breeze tugging at the loose threads of her hair that has pulled free from the practical bun she wears. The farm house that forms the backdrop is old and weathered, windows closed with heavy shutters that don’t quite fit proper. Her voice is old and dry, but holds a hint of life to it.

“So, you want to know ‘bout Eowyn, do ya? Ain’t much to say, don’t mean ain’t much to know. Odd child, odd since the day she showed up standing right where you are there on the steps. Talking all soft-like to no one, nodding like a fool. Cute as a button, if you could see past the dirt and the twigs in her hair. Took to the family like she was always never there. Never did have a proper talk with ‘er, but she dun listened good and did what she aught to, pulled her weight dinnit? Strangest little thing, though. Always talking to the animals, like they was people, but never talked to none of us right.

Few years passed, mayhap more than a few, and she filled out a bit with proper eating an’ all. Now, my boys are good lads an that’s hard truth, but there ain’t much for girls that isn’t family for miles. Never saw nuthin, and ‘course she never said nuthin. She started hiding, couldn’t have been more than 17, but she’d be gone from day’s end to mornin’ light. Showed up every morning to work, didn’t e’en sit wi’ us to eat.

Then one morning, she just stopped. Disappeared, like. Found a note, though. Writ all nice-like. ‘Thank you for the bed and the food, and the friends.’ That’s all, and didn’t never see her again. Now, less you feel like pushing a plough I suggest you git off my land.”

~~~

Zoom up and out, then focus back down on a little glade where a young woman sits on a large smooth granite boulder that shoulders into a stream. The forest is thick and heavy about, the shadows deep and soft between the trees, but here the rock is warm and the air is sweet with the scent of new grass and wildflowers. The young woman is slender like a willow branch, with a long tangle of pixie-brown hair that hangs to the small of her back and would probably be much longer if properly brushed. Her eyes are a brilliant hazel set in a delicate face that seems too soft for the harsh realities of life, particularly life in the Wild. She is talking, her voice gentle and melodious, to no one… but clearly someone is answering her.

“They weren’t all that bad, at the farm. I learned a lot, took care of animals. What? Yes, of course I know the boys played rough and wanted to breed, but I wasn’t ready and I think they realized that. No, that’s not why I left! You know why I left.” She sighs, and shakes out her hair a bit which only serves to tangle it further. “I don’t know who I am, where I’m from. Yes, I have a name but that doesn’t mean anything by itself. I don’t know where I come from, why I was left there, where I’m supposed to go, what I’m supposed to do.

Yes, playing with you is lovely and fun. Yes, with you too of course! Play now? Let’s see…” She whispers something under her breath, and the air swirls above her until a bright white fluffy cloud floats over her head. Moments later a light mist of rain descends from it, dampening the rock and feathering raindrops across her hair and eyelashes. She laughs delightedly. “I love our games, friends. Well done! Still, I can’t help but think that there is more to me than this. This is lovely, but I’m meant for more I’m sure of it!”

Spoiler: Prologue
    Show
    Less than a century ago, the Holy Tasqan Empire turned its sights on the Draconic Empire of Arkhosia. The war was bloody and drew on for decades, but the Dragonborn eventually fell to the Red-Eyes, the elite, ruthless soldiers of the once-great empire. This final and bloody conflict, however, had stretched their reach too thin as it dragged on, and violence broke out within its own borders as a full-fledged rebellion swept over the arid lands like a storm.

The Royal Legion's counterattack was bloody and ruthless, and many civilians were killed. This only served to steel the revolutionaries further, however, and a leader emerged from the rebellion: Brother Tanthius, Scion of the Light. He led his army against the capital itself, and despite its rumored-to-be-unstoppable soldiers, Tarascon fell. Brother Tanthius removed the nobility from power, and established the country's first democracy; he disappeared soon afterwords, without trace or word, leaving the people that followed confused and alone to council the recovering nation, and has not been seen since.

Now, 15 years after the takeover of Tarascon, it seems the gods have turned their backs on the new Antalian Republic. Monsters and criminals alike plague the countryside, attacking travelers and caravans, pirates rule the inner seas, and the land itself seems to dry up and wither further with each passing year, while the government seems powerless to stop it. It seems the Republic may soon crumble under the weight of the empire it sought to replace.

Spoiler: Synopsis
    Show
    You find yourselves in the crumbling remains of the an ancient and once-massive empire, recently undertaken by rebellion and reformed into a failing republic that it seems the gods themselves have turned their backs on. Several separtist or outright anarchist movements claim governmental control over the edges of the lands held by the powerless council at the heart of the region, seeking to benefit from the political instability. Foreign nations, sensing the weakness and splintering of the empire, begin to move in either by force or by political scheming.

Do you seek to take advantage of the unprecedented freedom to pursue your own ideals, or will you join one of the regional 'governments' fighting for scraps like goblins? Perhaps your interest even lies in the heart of the region, in the capital city of Taltasqa?

Spoiler: Game Information
    Show
    Some people live normal lives, and die in normal ways. Others stand out. Awe inspiring and terrible to behold are people such as these, once their story manifests; But regardless of whatever magnificent destiny lies ahead of them, one thing is obvious. These people are not normal.
    -You get feats every odd level instead of every 3.
    -You start with one additional exceptional mythos in addition to whatever is granted by your class and purchased with MP (which to be clear, still has to be from whichever class you chose).
    -All your hit dice are at their maximum for every level.
    -For anyone with power points, remember that magic-psionic transparency is in effect.

Spoiler: Setting Information
    Show
    The official and most widespread pantheon worshipped in the Antalian Republic is the pantheon of the Church of Light. The land is safest around their temples, and worship is more or less enforced within the boundaries of their control.

The people of Lura are one of the very few remaining examples of "blasphemous" beliefs in higher powers other than the Church of Light, at least on the western end of these lands. While the Church would have you believe it's mostly because the monsters sprang up and are keeping them very busy in the surrounding lands, this is only partially true: the political turmoil in both the center of the continent and around the edges of it have given way to other, heretical faiths in any and all areas where their influence dwindles.
    Spoiler: The Church of Light
    Show
    Pelor is the paternalistic head of the Pantheon of Light. While the entire “family” embodies domains of light, healing and forgiveness, each member of the family has their own niche aspect within the pantheon that they in particular fulfill.

Pelor is specifically Lord of the Sun and Sky. He represents the more primal, elder traditions of ensuring a bountiful harvest and favorable rains for crops. His children, whose worship came later, embody the more lofty ideals of an established and nuanced religious tradition. He is a patron of humanity, a bringer of favorable rains, and a steadfast enemy of Asmodeus. Pelor is the victorious, uncorrupted light of The Sun.

In older traditions, Pelor is depicted as a fair-haired human male, with a solar crown behind his head, and a golden spear. Newer, more reverent depictions do not assign a “lowly” mortal-like form to the Lord of Light. His symbol, is a shining sun, with 5 rays extending outward.
    Spoiler: Allies of the Faith
    Show
    Ilmater the Patient Lord - The brother of Pelor. Ilmater is patience incarnate. He is a natural philosopher and the moral compass of the church. After the Battle of Baator, Ilmater agreed with Asmodeus that there could be no justice without punishment in the world. Ilmater agreed that he would take the pain of punishment upon his body for anyone who was truly repentant of their crimes. His priests share in the burden of punishment, and often present themselves at courthouses to be punished instead of a repentant criminal. Within the Church of Light, Ilmater is represented by the first of five rays ray coming off of the symbol of the Holy Sun. His personal symbol is a 5-tailed scourge.

Aurora - Lady of Rainbows. Aurora is the daughter of Pelor and Eldatha. She is a goddess of hope, beauty and light. She hates vampires, and especially Mephistopheles. Aurora has cursed vampires to flee before her, and be burned beneath her gaze. Aurora exhorts her faithful to wage war against vampires, and all other forms of undead. Aurora will often grant sorcerers her divine light. She is the mother of the Sun Elves through her son, Nuada. Aurora is said to be the most beautiful of all goddesses. Within the Church of Light, she is symbolized by the 2nd ray of sunlight coming off the Sun of Pelor.

Helios - Light of The Law, and Fury of the Sun. Helios is the youngest of the three sons of He-Who-Was, and he is is the one for whom vengeance against Asmodeus burns the hottest. Helios is the burning heat of the sun, and he is the embodiment of righteous fury. He is an excellent warrior, and patron of several holy orders. Modern depictions are allegorical; the symbol of the 3rd ray of the holy sun is most commonly used.

Lady Eldatha - The lady of healing and mercy. Pelor’s wife, and the mother of Aurora. Guardian of the the home and of children. She is frequently associated with the friendly spirits of the earth, and of streams. She is a healer, and an intermediary between mortals and the rest of the Gods of Light. Although a goddess of humans, Eldatha is a half-elf. Some legends depict her as a favorite handmaiden of Queen Titania, the Titan of Life. She is commonly depicted as the 4th ray of the Holy Sun, or by her personal sigil, a single winged snake entwined around a hawthorn staff.

Prince Nuada Aergethlam - Nuada is the son of Corellon Larethian and Aurora. He is a member of The Seldarine, and is only loosely associated with his mother’s divine house. He is a warrior through and through, having trained under Helios. Prince Nuada guards the gates of Arvandor, when his father is absent walking the worlds. He is a warrior-poet who drives his people to seek “excellence”. Unlike most of The Seldarine, Prince Nuada is a reliable and faithful Lord who holds his personal honor in high regard. Because his mother so thoroughly hates The Undead, Prince Nuada is pleased to bless Elves who hunt the undead. Within the Church of Light, he is symbolized by the 5th ray of sunlight coming off the Sun of Pelor.

Spoiler: Pirate Deities
    Show
    Spoiler: The Two Sisters, Sex and Violence
    Show
    The Two Sisters are the twin goddesses Aira and Tria, minor goddesses of life and war, respectively. Mainland religions such as the Church of Light consider the sailors that worship them heretical cultists focusing only on the Sex and Violence - indeed, that is usually the shorthand given to them in quick, drunken prayers. Aira - whose domain includes life, fertility, and forests - and Tria - whose dogma includes justice, knowledge, honor, and war - are presented as radiant women dressed in a silken gossamer gown and crossbowman's armor, again respectively. There are some followers of Corsair within their ranks. Follows of the Two Sisters view them as fearful, as they pray for calm seas, but respect them, and the religions don't bother each other.

Spoiler: Corsair, the Pirate God
    Show
    The Faithful reverently call Corsair "The Holy Captain", or "The Seldarine Bastard". He is a low-mid power god of the seas, tide, and wind, though is said to have complete mastery of them in his sacred isles. He blesses those who are faithful to his Laws of Piracy (otherwise known as Corsair's Law, a truly Byzantine labyrinth of social mores and traditions that are baffling, complex and often contradictory) with good fortune, fair winds and miraculous recovery from wounds sustained in raids. He demands tribute in the form of stolen goods, or ill-gained money. He appears in depictions as a half-elf with blue-green hair and silver eyes. Sometimes, he has an eye patch and only one eye.
    As the bastard son of a major Elven deity, Corsair is very antagonistic towards his father’s worshipers. Noteably, his power is usually weaker than it would otherwise be, due to his investment in nearly always having an avatar in the mortal plane: The Pirate King.

Spoiler: Regarding undeath
    Show
    Faluzure, "sister" to Tiamat is a god of undeath, and worshipped also in combination with Chronepsis as the dual-entity Null (the latter being a god of death and fate, but as they never communicate with their followers they have very few worshippers). Both draconic deities, but Falazure has some worship by non-draconian mortals as well.

Vecna is an ascended mortal. Mainstream faiths deny that he is in fact a god here, but Vecna grants up to 9th Circle magic as other deities do. He's most commonly known as the Vaunted, and considered a demigod of liches, undeath, and necromancers, but his proper portfolio and power is as Vecna.

Orcus is also not considered technically a deity, though the demon prince of undeath has the entire practice viewed in a darker light through his influence.

Spoiler: Regarding burial and resurrection
    Show
    Proper burial of the deceased is (currently, though may not always have been) given such a high priority in the faith of the Pantheon of Light that even - and especially - entry-level acolytes are informed of the practices and rites of burial and consecration. As deities that are not of the Flesh of Light are not permitted worship, 'proper' burial refers primarily to graves with funerals, along with similar practices involving entombment of a corpse.

This is a particular point of contention between them and both followers of the Old Faith (those secretive lot otherwise known as druids that have been here since before even the founding of the capital) and followers of religions from the North (which has been making a sweeping resurgence, and who have a tendency to violently defend their belief in cremating their honored fallen; especially with the recent danger of the lands as a whole, attesting that in recent years it's been more difficult to not die an honorable death).

The Church as a whole keeps records on mages reported capable of the higher circles of magic, both divine and arcane. Magic that returns the dead to life with the use of divine magic is heavily restricted or outlawed in various parts of the Republic except in very particular circumstances; the spirits of the dead are assumed to be in their proper, final places in their respective afterlives after all, for good or ill.

Some of these regulations are more well-known than others. For instance, though somewhat inaccurately, it's common knowledge that high-circle magics are more and more restricted the closer one gets to the capital, and that in these matters the Church has much more paperwork than normal. Notoriously, one of the very particular exceptions to resurrection magic - and this exception exists in every area within their influence, without exception, and is usually seen as either a loophole or a mercy from the head priests - is that everyone capable of 7th circle magic, even non-casters with the ability to utilize such powerful scrolls, are permitted one (1) sanctioned use of the Resurrection spell for one (1) loved one, prefaced by divinations to ensure both purity of intent and willingness of the spirit to return, as well as an approved application from the Church, which is not difficult to acquire except at the outer edges of the continent, after which they will gift the applicant an insignia that is all but is all but impossible to duplicate or use on someone other than the one named.

These insignia, called Divine Mercies by the Church, are somewhat complex and distinctly valuable. Their single use is unique to each individual; even if they themselves die and are revived after using one, they still are not permitted another. They are (claimed to be) impossible to artificially reproduce, because each one is (claimed to be) directly blessed by one of the Flesh of Light or their chosen themselves and powered by the love of the individual invoking the magic. Attempts to duplicate them are not looked upon kindly, to put it lightly.

Despite the ease of acquiring one, their value is more than legal. These Divine Mercies are to be substituted in place of the diamond component of the ritual or spell in question, removing the cost as a whole. However, and arguably more valuable, using them in this way also removes the spiritual trauma of returning the dead to life. (OOC: No Constitution or level loss.)

If you don't respond at least once every 48 hours, we'll consider your "turn" skipped/delayed, either in combat or socially, and we'll move on without you.
    Conversely, if I happen to go missing for more than 48 hours, if you're in combat consider the enemy's turn skipped/delayed.
    Update: If you know you'll be gone for longer, do tell us.

Spoiler: Combat Log
    Show
    [Initiative Order:
    Mordecai
    Film of Darkness 1
    ???]
    Round ~1: Mordekai readies action, weapon does not damage creature, Inevitable Sunset Strike does however.
    Film of Darkness saps life from Mordekai.
    Round 2:
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-09-29 at 09:28 AM.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play a Game OOC

Dood the ever speaking qi'e well speak in this color

I have a question we get a bonus mythos I am guessing it has to be within tiers we already have access to
    Last edited by niw18; 2019-01-26 at 05:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

It specifies exceptional.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Araqa will speak in this color.

I’m excited to play this.
    Last edited by violet42; 2019-01-26 at 05:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Mordecai will speak as thus.

I suppose the big question is are we already a group or in the city in pursuit of separate interests? I'm leaning separate. Also I missed the extra exceptional mythos, adding it now
    Last edited by ErebusVonMori; 2019-01-29 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

It'd theoretically be easier for me to keep track of everything if you were at least loosely allied/associated, so there's little to no backstabbing going on and I don't have to keep track of six areas at once.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will speak like this if that is ok.

We could say that our Mythic nature brought us together seeing as we are more "special' than others

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Like is drawn to like, that works. We just naturally gravitate together.
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

Looks like we've got our colors all sorted. It looks like Erebus is wanting to start an undead cult/army. Assuming you're brought together by your very natures, if you found yourself in town with a necromancer preaching about the glory of undeath, how would you all react? What would your goals be, in this shaky foundation of a local government?

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

What if we all had encountered each other in the city in the course of whatever work we do, but only know each other in passing.

edit: but anything’s fine by me!
    Last edited by violet42; 2019-01-26 at 08:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Annevaria will speak in this color. As for were we start, I would prefer somewhere with access to hiding spaces: locals tend not to appreciate people performing experiments in public, no matter how much they would stand to gain from the potential results, and I would imagine that law enforcement may not take kindly to someone who is a essentially a super-necromancer or living avatar of nightmare either, so we may need to find some sort of safehouse before we do anything.
    Last edited by Urist Mcmage; 2019-01-26 at 11:03 PM.
    you can check out my homebrew class the Ghost-Speaker here

you can check out my homebrew PF class the Dark Scholar here

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

What sort of experiments? And Mordecai is making literally no effort to hide.
    Last edited by ErebusVonMori; 2019-01-27 at 12:04 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Sylas would gravitate towards the Necromancer. For now he has no lofty plans other than to experience the fear he inflicts in others as much as possible. If your plans allow him to revel in said actions than all the better. Sylas is pretty sneaky as well.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

So as a long term goal, how would people feel about stealing Asmodeus' copy of the Pact Primeval?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ErebusVonMori View Post
    What sort of experiments? And Mordecai is making literally no effort to hide.
    A kreikiri is sort of like a artificer, but instead of working with metal and magic, they work with flesh and bone. Most of a Kreikiri's power comes from their grafts and custom monsters, which all require time and material to create. In terms of experiments, this means creating terrible crimes against nature and then studying them.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

I more meant what is your character trying to achieve with all those powers?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ErebusVonMori View Post
    I more meant what is your character trying to achieve with all those powers?
    She wants to help alleviate suffering, mostly, and she thinks the best way to do that is through improving everyone via fleshcrafting. (mind you, she is not the most stable of people, so take that claim with a grain of salt)
    Last edited by Urist Mcmage; 2019-01-27 at 09:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Ah wonderful, I'll make a point of sending some of my worshippers your way for improvement, do they have to be living at the time?

19. - Top - End - #19

@Urist Mcmage

she could always hide in doods belly it's like a bag of holding almost

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

Sorry for the delay everyone, IC thread is up, and starting location has been decided. You're free to make of the opening post what you will, those rumors might even be entirely unrelated to your respective presences if you want to be more secretive.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Diplomacy:(1d20+16)[25]
    Perform(Oratory):(1d20+16)[22]

To see how effective his speech was, because I forgot to do it in the post.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Probably nothing important...
    Show
    (1d20+23)[43] mehehehee...

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Also probably unimportant...
    Show
    (1d20+23)[28]I have to have 10 characters to post.

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Small update on expected posting schedule. Hopefully we can get this ball rolling.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

I should be posting soon I am just completing what my first post will be

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by niw18 View Post
    I should be posting soon I am just completing what my first post will be
    In the same boat, I haven’t disappeared off the face of the earth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

(is Mordecai preaching in the crowded city where there are a lot of buildings, etc. or is he somewhere else?)

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

He's preaching in the city outskirts.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

I'll let you guys react first.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Important question, is your current body an illusion or an actual body? Also a question for the DM, when it comes to Lifesense, does someone who's shapeshifted smaller register as their shapeshifted size or normal size?