The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [The Burning Wheel] Beneath the Delirious Moon [OOC & Dice Rolls]

So, I don't have the persuade skill, making this a Beginner's Luck roll, I guess. Mark of Privilege does not apply, as the Abbot isn't of the nobility. Unfortunately, FORKs are exclusively for helping skill rolls, and a Beginner's Luck roll is a stat roll. Luckily, I have B5 Will. Then, adding a die for Adalric's help brings us to B6. Should Brysen chime in, then we are at B7. So, I am looking at a B7 roll vs. Obstacle 6, right?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius Junior View Post
    Brysen could certainly assist, if he would so desire. Since Faust broached the topic first, he is making the test, though your help would lend another die his way.
    Well then count Brysen in as helping! He's just as curious to know more about the absent Lord.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

My apologies for being in absentia today. Yes, assisting is just a declarative - for each character assisting in the process an additional die is granted, unless that character has an exponent above five, in which two dice are provided (pages 35-36). As per the Let It Ride ethos, if Faust is not successful the Abbot may clam up; no longer being a viable source of information.

This will be a challenging test I now realize, but not impossible. I am additionally awarding Faust advantage and therefore +1 die due to the social pressure on the Abbot to respond amicably. I'll have a substantive post for the IC thread ready once The Void Dragon has rolled his test.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

A Test to see if I know how to roll:
    [roll]8d6[/roll]
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-03-09 at 05:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Second attempt
    [roll0]
    All right, how am I supposed to do this? I put in [rollv]#d#[/rollv], but I did not get the desired output. Ignore the bolding, it's to stop the post from trying to roll things again.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-03-09 at 05:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Planetar

Previewing your post breaks the roll code, I think that's what happened.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Here we go
    (8d6)[6][1][5][2][5][1][1][5](26)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

4 successes. So close, and yet so far...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well this certainly complicates matters some. Still, perhaps further information can be found beyond the Abbey's walls - there is still time before the summit.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-03-18 at 12:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Well this certainly complicates matters some. Still, there perhaps further information can be found beyond the Abbey's walls - there is still time before the summit.
    No one else can make an attempt? Even with a different skill?
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

You do make a good point, one that I had not considered - Let It Ride is stated as per GM and player, wherein a re-test cannot be attempted unless the circumstance have drastically changed. That does not prevent another player entirely from making an attempt. See page 32 for these rules.

In light of this, Adalric or any of the others may make an independent attempt to beseech the Abbot, though Faust will not be able to push deeper himself for the time being.

EDIT: Well there is more complication - "A GM cannot call for multiple rolls of the same ability to accomplish a player's stated intent." Thus I would ask that, should the desire be to draw information specifically regarding Lord Mull's confidence in the Abbot, i.e. personal woes, a different track must be taken than Persuasion.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-03-10 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Formatting

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"Foreign zealot ruins talks, party facepalms." More news at 11.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Etiquette be a viable skill? Basically try and persuade him that we need to know as much as we can in order to best serve the greater goal and he's over the line by not telling us?
    -Me

14. - Top - End - #44

While not something he can do immediatly, Iald can analyze the heraldry of the Lords to at least understand some of what they stand for.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

15. - Top - End - #45

Planetar

For what it's worth, after the dinner I can make inquiries among the servants and other monks using Rumour-wise maybe?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    Would Etiquette be a viable skill? Basically try and persuade him that we need to know as much as we can in order to best serve the greater goal and he's over the line by not telling us?
    You certainly may - though do take be aware that Etiquette would turn your request into a demand, by leveraging your position as agent of the Council. Whether you succeed or fail, that will likely carry ramifications thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentreto View Post
    While not something he can do immediatly, Iald can analyze the heraldry of the Lords to at least understand some of what they stand for.
    You absolutely are able, once their heraldry are revealed to you or you find them. Do remember where you are, and what Brysen has learned of the Abbey's practices...

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    For what it's worth, after the dinner I can make inquiries among the servants and other monks using Rumour-wise maybe?
    Another clever course of action! You certainly could make use of this tactic as well. I will have to review the book to see if Rumour-wise is applicable in this sense, though I expect it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Void Dragon View Post
    "Foreign zealot ruins talks, party facepalms." More news at 11.
    Don't take it too hard now! The Abbot has his own prejudices, and Faust ticks several of them. Plus, Beginnner's Luck tests are always difficult.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-03-10 at 09:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

You certainly may - though do take be aware that Etiquette would turn your request into a demand, by leveraging your position as agent of the Council. Whether you succeed or fail, that will likely carry ramifications thereafter.
    Hmmm... I'm not looking to burn any bridges here. Would it be possible to try and talk him into it by Suasion, one cleric to another, as basically something he doesn't have to hold back on? Or would that also be a demand?
    -Me

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

My reading of Let It Ride is that players may not make repeat attempts at the same Intent with the same skill - an intrinsic method of insuring the game not devolve into continuous re-rolling of tests until success is finally had. In this case, using Persuasion has already been tried, with the Intent being to coax further information from the Abbot without ruffling any feathers. Thus Persuasion is ruled out until "circumstances drastically change". Note that "circumstances" need not only change by my hand.

You may consider Intimidation as alternative, though you could expect a similar fallout as per Etiquette. If you have the time, skim through the Skill List in the book - there are still other avenues you might consider.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

My reading of Let It Ride is that players may not make repeat attempts at the same Intent with the same skill - an intrinsic method of insuring the game not devolve into continuous re-rolling of tests until success is finally had. In this case, using Persuasion has already been tried, with the Intent being to coax further information from the Abbot without ruffling any feathers. Thus Persuasion is ruled out until "circumstances drastically change". Note that "circumstances" need not only change by my hand.

You may consider Intimidation as alternative, though you could expect a similar fallout as per Etiquette. If you have the time, skim through the Skill List in the book - there are still other avenues you might consider.
    Suasion is a different skill from Persuasion though, specifically relating to attempting to persuade someone to do something for religious reasons.
    -Me

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

My apologies! Seems I don't know the system as well as I thought. Yes, that could work.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

My apologies! Seems I don't know the system as well as I thought. Yes, that could work.
    It wouldn't constitute a demand though, right? I'm just gonna try and persuade him that he isn't religiously obligated to keep this secret.
    -Me

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Indeed - your argument is one of religious observances, and not an official demand in any capacity. For the record state your Intent and any FORKs et al. before rolling against Obstacle 3. Should anyone else be chiming in to help, simply state you are doing so.

23. - Top - End - #53

Planetar

I can help with Law-wise, maybe, to cite an obscure custom or interpretation.

Or Falsehood? Chiming in with a false Pug aphorism about sharing burdens.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Falsehood is given as a FORK of Suasion, so that is appropriate.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed - your argument is one of religious observances, and not an official demand in any capacity. For the record state your Intent and any FORKs et al. before rolling against Obstacle 3. Should anyone else be chiming in to help, simply state you are doing so.
    Alright. I Intend to convince him that the seal of confession isn't actually relevant to letting us know what the good Lord Mull's troubles might be. I can use Religious History to site precedent for this sort of thing, and Church Law as a reason I'm his superior and he should listen to me.

Also, how do I determine how many dice I roll again? My Will is 5, and my Suasion is 2.
    Last edited by Henry the 57th; 2019-03-12 at 09:56 PM.
    -Me

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

In this case you would roll two dice base for your Suasion exponent, plus an additional die each for your given FORKs, plus one more for Brysen's help (who should post in the IC his contribution of Falsehood). Since social pressure is on your side in this matter, I will extend Advantage as I did for Faust. That totals six dice you have to work with, potentially more should any of your other fellows join in the effort.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Another thing to consider is you might want to have the party leave the table, so that way this breach of confession is strictly within the clergy.

28. - Top - End - #58

I might have Iald step back to talk with Lord Crofte to allow Adalric and the Abbot more space. I guess I could consipciously step back to indicate to the Abbot Iald is respecting their privacy. Its a little tenuous.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close the sun

Playing as the Dunem in Empire 5

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, just assuming that the six will be all I have to work with, here goes:

(6d6)[4][1][1][5][4][3](18) vs Obstacle 3.

Edit: Well, that's both perfectly average and exactly what I needed.
    Last edited by Henry the 57th; 2019-03-13 at 05:53 PM.
    -Me

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well you made the test successfully, and indeed here we are to reap the rewards!

I would like to note: how do you all feel about the pace so far? Since we are nearly reaching the second-week mark, I think a quick check-in is in order. I have been trying to move briskly, yet at not too break-neck a meter, so as to keep the game flowing adequately. Your thoughts would be appreciated if this is requiring adjustment.