The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [The Burning Wheel] Beneath the Delirious Moon [OOC & Dice Rolls]

I would assume that all information is being shared. I only used spoilers for the purpose of organization. Which does remind me, I forgot to note that Faust also has learned of the Abbey's great reverence for Saints. While this itself would not otherwise be of note, you may be interested to learn some of their number whose remains are held at Dom Doren:

Spoiler: Saint Joris, the Drowned
    Show
    A trained cantor who had studied at the Basilica, and personal confidant to Stathes Tawic (builder of the famous bridge that spans the Auth), Joris surrendered himself to Wodengard troops during the brief civil war in hopes of ending the bloodshed. Instead he was beaten, tied to stones and drowned in the waters of the Auth. A sympathizer eventually cut his bloated corpse free, which flowed downstream to be recovered by his kin. The stones which dragged him to his death are kept in the Abbey's halls, still bound in knotted rope.

Spoiler: Saint Orthrelm, the Called
    Show
    A character of mysterious nature even to the monks of the Abbey, Orthrelm is remembered as widow to some early noble of the Scawic region; her entire family was taken by sickness, though she endured. Stricken to her bed by the ailment, she was said to be gifted with a healing touch. She refused all food and drink, instead finding sustenance only in song. Upon her death she was embalmed, and now is kept within the Abbey's most reverent chambers within a simple wooden box.

Spoiler: Saint Helmaer, the Hammer
    Show
    A tower of a man and stonemason by trade, who became a folk hero by his actions throughout the Thurs war. He was conscripted early in the conflict and attained near-legendary status for his strength, when he was the sole survivor of the Ullford Massacre; found amid the wreckage. He would eventually perish in single-combat against an ancient and dreadful Thur named Durnir. The shattered remains of his cudgel are on display in the Abbey's cloister.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-03-22 at 11:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of concern that my wording was too obtuse in the latest IC post, I figure some clarification would be beneficial: the summit at this point can be considered akin to a US Congressional Hearing. Beyond the pomp and circumstance of the opening words, you all can launch whatever queries you feel are necessary to gather the information requested by the League Council. This is still only the first stage of your expedition, after all.

Additionally, so far as you all can tell the Chamberlain Echther Rochus is not present.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Those Saints are pretty neat. Faust will obviously be most drawn to Saint Helmaer, the Hammer, though the endurance shown by the Called is impressive as well. Was Lord Shawe in command of the Wodengard when they drowned Saint Joris? That might color Faust's perception of him a bit.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was a Shawe, but not this one. His great-grandfather to be exact.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't have any specific questions myself, but Iald will be gauging the reactions of the Lords.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Playing as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

I cannot recall off-hand, but I remember one character having the Instinct to always keep tabs on the weather. That person should notice that the sun has since disappeared behind a cover of deep purple clouds, pressing in upon a steadily rising western wind. They can feel pressure building in the air, as well.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm getting an Agatha Christie vibe here. Trapped in the Abbey by storm, a body is found in the morning…

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was aiming for more The Name of the Rose, but you've definitely caught the vibe.

9. - Top - End - #99

Kobold

What are Pas d'armes? I want Faust to chime in on these latest nuggets of information, but I am ignorant what such a term means. I guess a better question is, does Faust know what that means?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is a martial practice of I believe French origin wherein a knight or troupe of knights would claim a bridge, road, etc. and bar passage to anyone who refused their challenge to duel. Since the term fit well enough for the martial challenges of the Brazen Men, I appropriated it.

It is not at all unlikely that Faust would be aware of such customs, and indeed may have participated in the past.

11. - Top - End - #101

Kobold

How do such troupes keep themselves fed? Do they claim ownership of the bridge permanently, or just based on who won the last duel? Can Faust become the official owner of a number of bridges by beating up Brazen Men?
    I don't know why Faust would want to own any bridges, mind; this is just a hypothetical.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-04-03 at 07:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

They feed themselves by either buying food or stealing it. These are errant "knights" of a foreign country however, so they cannot make any claim to the land they squat upon. Even if you defeated them, the bridges would still in truth belong to the local lord.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

The coins of which Lord Shawe is referring are part of the "South Foundling" currency, the chits of which are pressed from specifically Wallapug boat-clay; the color being easily identifiable. The coins themselves are roughly two centimeters across, and punched with intricate carvings that discern their worth - the Shale being the base unit. Five Shale make a Palm, three Palm make a Purse. One Shale is "standardized" at one one-thousandth of a Wallapug clay canoe. You can see how this might lead to some uncertainties. The punches are produced by the Shambry Council and distributed by Criers.

South Foundling currency is so named from its development to facilitate trade between the early Shambry pilgrims and their neighbors in the Dells. It is by technicality the official currency of the League, though individual Estates are not bound to its use. Thus it is not particularly common any longer: simple bartering often being more effective at any level below the national scale.

14. - Top - End - #104

Kobold

I'll admit; I kind of want to go and duel all of these Brazen Men for the sake of dueling a bunch of Brazen Men. And maybe try to form them into some kind of retinue for myself, though I have no idea how Faust would go about doing such a thing, nor the political ramifications if he succeeded in doing so.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, he certainly could make an attempt, though you would imagine his holding of territory owned by another might not end well. Do not forget either that you already have an entourage - each player character has one dozen aides, seconds, servants, etc. You are all individuals are some import, after all.

For the IC, I will post tomorrow to keep things rolling if there is not anything new by then.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
    I'm getting an Agatha Christie vibe here. Trapped in the Abbey by storm, a body is found in the morning…
    I think we have the body now...

Iald will be checking on how Lord Mull is. If someone has a medical skill, feel free to push Iald out the way

17. - Top - End - #107

Kobold

Wait, Faust has a retinue? His last life path was literally just wandering the woods as a sort of outcast, how did he get a retinue? Ludwig sent them, didn't he. Presumably with a cheeky note reminding me not to starve to death in the woods.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps I was insufficient in my original explanation, but yes each and every one of you has one dozen attendants - the why exactly could be for a great many reasons. Adalric is a nobleman himself, so they are members of his house - just as Brysen is a merchant-captain with his crew. For Faust they may be dueling seconds, attendants sent by Ludwig, or even an accompaniment provided by the Shambry High Council to facilitate your expedition. Krasimir is quite learned and certainly may have students under his tutelage, just as Iald might have understudies or pages as befitting his skill and stature.

I do not believe that any player "purchased" attendants during character creation, so I saw fit to provide each of you with an entourage. They are mostly for going to be in the background anyway, so you are welcome to rationalize this however you choose.

19. - Top - End - #109

Is it worth any of us making a steel check for what we have just witnessed?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

This seems a fine opportunity to give the mechanic a whirl. So yes, let's have a few Steel tests.

21. - Top - End - #111

Ok, Iald has a Steel of 4, and a Hesitation of 5. That would be a challenging test by roll, thought the test would be less. As its open-ended, I'll add a few more on the bottom in the hope I get lucky.

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[4]

and the extras if needed:
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[4]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

My Hesitation is [7], my Steel is [4]. I think I get 1 Dice for being surrounded by Allies.

Base Roll
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]

Extras, if 6s
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

After giving myself a refresher on Steel tests, these circumstances carry both a +1 die bonus due to your allies being near and +1 Obstacle due to having just witnessed a death. As you can no doubt tell, the remaining lords of the Fringe are all currently "Standing and Drooling", so to speak. As this is not yet a combat situation, your Steel tests will simply determine the order in which your desired actions are completed.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

I have Steel 4, Hesitation 5, so if I'm reading this right it should be:

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[5]

Just in case I forgot anything:

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the interest of moving forward, let us work with these rolls - if no one disagrees, at least. Iald has achieved two successes, thus his Hesitation has been reduced to 3. Krasimir likewise remains at 5 with two successes, while Adalric sits at 1 having managed a hefty four! The order will thus be Adalric, Iald, then Krasimir, with Faust's reaction slotted in wherever his Steel test places him.

I have noticed that Atlastrembles has not posted in some time, so I will be reaching out to him shortly for a check-in.

26. - Top - End - #116

Kobold

All right, I have 6 Steel and 5 hesitation, with +1 die for being around allies for a total of seven dice, I guess. How are some of you rolling "extras"?

(7d6)[1][5][4][4][1][3][2](20)

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by The Void Dragon View Post
    All right, I have 6 Steel and 5 hesitation, with +1 die for being around allies for a total of seven dice, I guess. How are some of you rolling "extras"?

[roll0]
    Steel tests are open-ended, meaning you get to roll any 6's you get again, so in theory you can get a lot of extra rolls.

28. - Top - End - #118

Kobold

That was my impression, but then I see that Henry the 57th rolled a 5, 3, 2, and 5 but made three additional rolls under "in case I forgot anything." Either my computer screen is lying to me about dice rolls or there's some other rule at play that has entirely skipped my notice. All I know is that whatever it is, it must be legitimate, as Boethius counted the successes on those three additional rolls; I just want in on more dice, for I am a greedy little man hungering for more successes.

Also, how do you guys roll your results in such vertical columns? The method I'm using produces a horizontal line of numbers.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-04-14 at 11:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Adalric has Steel of 4, Henry the 57th rolled four dice plus one for the "surrounded by allies" bonus - this die was a 6, which netted another 6, and thus provided four successes total. Faust has three successes and thus his Hesitation has been reduced to 2, putting his actions in the order after Adalric but before Iald.

You may generate dice rolls vertically by multiple inputs of the roll function in 1d6 increments, rather than Xd6 as you have opted for.

30. - Top - End - #120

As Henry has not repiled yet, and we are doing turn order, I have posted. I hope he comes in soon, as he has a very good oratory score :P

Iald will be attempting to be conspicious and draw the attention of those nearby. He has a conspicious of 3, and I would suggest a Fork of Oratory, with a possible extra bonus for being a leader of the expedition.