The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [The Burning Wheel] Beneath the Delirious Moon [OOC & Dice Rolls]

I suppose that ensuring the cellar is empty before opening the super-secret alcove would be either a Perception or Observation test of some sort. Can't really use swords to see, after all.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mister The Void Dragon, there are several immediate difficulties with Faust's course of action. Firstly, the entrance by which the Abbot led your party to the cellars was one of (presumable) secrecy - it was both locked from without and hidden from plain view. Though you have some explored the grounds, I do not think it likely your wanderings have taken you back to the cellars, thus you will need find other means of descending.

Then comes the matter of finding the sanctum within the labyrinthine vaults - which is also sealed, opened only by the Abbot's second key. You understand where the problems are starting to arise, I'm sure. I had figured that Faust would have liked accompanied the others to speak with Guisa, hence why I optioned a runner from the servantry to replace him as lookout. Look to post #92 of the IC thread to see.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I did not realize the cellar entrance was a secret in and of itself, no. I may have been... over eager to get back into things. In that case, I guess I'll have to edit the IC post. Or do some sort of test to see if he can even remember the location of the cellar entrance. Of note for rejoining the group, Faust is a Loner; his predilection is one of immediate, personal action, rather than group questioning and cooperation. This... does not always lead to optimal decisions. Which, in this case, probably lead to locked cellar doors and wasted time.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-03 at 11:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

You needn't apologize for your gusto! We are simply beholden to this reality that I've created, and I am obliged to ensure consistency within.

Faust can recall where the previous entrance is located without difficulty - finding an alternate route is the trouble, considering the former will surely be locked still. If you do choose to seek another option, I think a Graduated test for Observation is in order. This will determine how long the search takes you, since inevitably you are certain to find some means to below. You might alternately request a guide, or take whatever other action may spring to mind.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Definitely observation, then, as Faust can't exactly trust the staff right now. He's pretty bad at it, but none of his other skills are applicable. Perhaps forked with orienteering, to represent that Faust, even in the midst of this storm, knows the directions various things are in. Alternatively, Intimidation, to project that angry sense of purpose that compels people to get out of my way.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-04 at 09:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will accept Orienteering as a FORK given the circumstances, but I think Intimidate is a stretch given the circumstances. The monks of the Abbey are at present assembling in the yard, after all. Frankly, for the sake of convenience I am going to say you all arrive to the cellar's entrance simultaneously; as I will be writing shortly. Stay tuned!

EDIT - The Void Dragon, please do still make a roll for Observation - it will matter for the purpose of advancement.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-06-05 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Formatting, and note

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The observation roll, forked with orienteering: [rollv]2d6[/rollv]
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-07 at 08:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Oh come on. Trying to use the roller again.
    (2d6)[1][4](5)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dankeschön - I'll add that to the registry of tests presently.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Can Brysen make a check (or determine without a check) which way the air is stirring? That is, would he be able to tell which way into the catacombs the air would be moving towards?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a well-seasoned voyager-captain, Brysen can swiftly ascertain that the wind is flowing softly down the central passage, originating from the entrance above. If the door were closed you believe the air would settle once more.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Could Faust use his (admittedly low) tracking skill to determine which passageways our quarry may have used? (Just in case the obvious trail is a false one.)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given the available light, Faust has confidence that no visible trails have been left besides the dribbling blood. However, do note that the abbey's foundation is stone and well-tended. There is an insubstantial layering of dust upon the floor; insufficient to leave tracks. Likewise, there do not appear to be any leakages, mud-prints, or trails of other wet. Odd that, considering the day's weather.

14. - Top - End - #164

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius Junior View Post
    Given the available light, Faust has confidence that no visible trails have been left besides the dribbling blood. However, do note that the abbey's foundation is stone and well-tended. There is an insubstantial layering of dust upon the floor; insufficient to leave tracks. Likewise, there do not appear to be any leakages, mud-prints, or trails of other wet. Odd that, considering the day's weather.
    The caller is coming from inside the house!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    The caller is coming from inside the house!
    Something like that! If you gentlefolk could please make tests for Observation, I would appreciate.

16. - Top - End - #166

Planetar

I think Observation just works on Perception? I have a B6, so I roll 6d6s if I understand correctly?

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]

Added FoRK for Astrology, maybe, to discern a pattern? Bit of a stretch but I'm feeling something supernatural might be afoot here?

(1d6)[4]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think you the FORK into Astrology might be a reach, but that is still a fine roll all things considered.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-06-17 at 11:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius Junior View Post
    I think you the FORK into Astrology might be a reach, but that is still a fine roll all things considered.
    For sure a reach. :P

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Behold, my grand and wondrous Observation! I'd try to fork it with Tracking, but our GM made it clear that the Cellar laughs at tracking attempts previously. Maybe I could fork in Knives or Swords, to determine what sort of weapon was used to cut the man's throat? Until then, enjoy my one die roll:

(1d6)[2]

...That gaping stomach wound wouldn't correspond to a kaun chewing its way out, would it? Also,the alcove that was smashed open wasn't the super-secret one, right?
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-21 at 09:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Void Dragon View Post
    Behold, my grand and wondrous Observation! I'd try to fork it with Tracking, but our GM made it clear that the Cellar laughs at tracking attempts previously. Maybe I could fork in Knives or Swords, to determine what sort of weapon was used to cut the man's throat?
    There's not much point in a check for Tracking if there's nothing else to track, from where you're metaphorically sitting. Faust is a skilled armsman; he can tell that the monk's throat was slashed with something on the smaller side, such as a knife/dirk - and from behind too.

...That gaping stomach wound wouldn't correspond to a kaun chewing its way out, would it? Also,the alcove that was smashed open wasn't the super-secret one, right?
    Keen eyes! The body is still definitely too fresh for any normal kuan to have exited so soon; that requires days at minimum. This alcove was one of the many storages of foodstuffs throughout the cellar, the trail of blood culminated here.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

He specified a normal Kuan couldn't chew its way out. Clearly, it is an abnormal Kuan.
    Commences panicking.
    Alternatively, whoever killed this man is a witch, using fell majicks to speed the kuan's growth, or they had some sort of hellish hound that was feeling peckish.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-23 at 08:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

All of those may be possible, but due note that truly monstrous men produce monstrous spawn. That is all I meant by "normal" in this context. Now whether you believe this poor monk was that horrid, well...

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Brother Jeremy was the just the worst. Went out of his way to kick puppies and everything.

More seriously, could I use Faith-wise to try and determine if this talisman is common to worshippers of Wit? If so, would Doctrine be a viable Fork?
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-26 at 07:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

No check needed, you know your faith - this is most certainly not a symbol of Wit.

25. - Top - End - #175

Planetar

Would any of Astrology, Rumour-wise, or Cryptography be of any help to remember any references to this symbol?

Rolling just in case

Astrology
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]

Cryptography
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[6]

Rumour-Wise
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[2]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'm now fairly convinced this bastard slapped some witchery on this poor fool as he bled out to create a very hungry kuan, which will hold up our investigation by trying to eat us.

Also, I love having infallible religious logic; how else could I justify Faust's reasoning here?
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-27 at 05:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Would any of Astrology, Rumour-wise, or Cryptography be of any help to remember any references to this symbol?

Rolling just in case

Astrology
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]

Cryptography
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Rumour-Wise
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    Rumour-Wise I think is applicable in this case; it is not lost on you that the ring of stone seems reminiscent of the Gristing heraldry. Plus, there was talk you heard regarding odd going-ons at the Mull holdfast...

I'm now fairly convinced this bastard slapped some witchery on this poor fool as he bled out to create a very hungry kuan, which will hold up our investigation by trying to eat us.

Also, I love having infallible religious logic; how else could I justify Faust's reasoning here?
    No comment, on either point. I will have an update for you fellows shortly.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am going to require some Steel tests, my friends.

29. - Top - End - #179

Planetar

Steel Rolls

(1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[4]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Here we go:

(1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]

Edit: Dice, why do you do this?
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-06-28 at 06:21 PM.