The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [The Burning Wheel] Beneath the Delirious Moon [OOC & Dice Rolls]

Here is a collective Steel test for your companions, against their averaged Hesitation of 7: (3d6)[15]

With two successes Brysen has his Hesitation reduced to 4 - Faust is likewise with one success.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-06-28 at 10:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aha, that did not work quite as I expected. Ahem:

(1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[5]

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would appear that Brysen may act first, as his Reflex score is the highest. At the moment, we shall use simple Bloody Versus for combat exchanges, should you be inclined.

EDIT: Followed by Faust and then the others, I should mention. The kuan is slow and shambling.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-06-28 at 10:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

So Brysen has no weapons or armour per se, so I'm thinking if there's a torch nearby he'd lunge for that and then brandish it in front of him to try and ward off the Kuan. Failing that, he'll try to smack the creature with the torch.

Not sure how that would break down in a Bloody Versus after reading the rules, since I'm not sure how many dice that action/improvised weapon (if available) would cost.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I have called it! It is a kuan! Now if only Faust wasn't busy being scared of the thing so he could flex those fighting dice!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    So Brysen has no weapons or armour per se, so I'm thinking if there's a torch nearby he'd lunge for that and then brandish it in front of him to try and ward off the Kuan. Failing that, he'll try to smack the creature with the torch.

Not sure how that would break down in a Bloody Versus after reading the rules, since I'm not sure how many dice that action/improvised weapon (if available) would cost.
    Do recall that the torches throughout the cellars have been purposefully dashed - the only light among your company is your single meager lantern, scrounged from the kitchens. Now I did not ever specify who was carrying said light, so it very well may be Brysen. He might also attempt to rekindle some other means of illumination, if you so desired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Void Dragon View Post
    I have called it! It is a kuan! Now if only Faust wasn't busy being scared of the thing so he could flex those fighting dice!
    You'll certainly have the chance momentarily. Steel is really more how long you might hesitate than true fear per se. Faust might simply be attempting to process what he's just seen - the steps of Hesitation are more akin to heartbeats than the seconds each round occupy in other games.

7. - Top - End - #187

Planetar

Ok, can I use Perception and Agility to spot a torch, light it, and brandish it?

Perception B6
    Perception - (1d6)[6]
    Perception - (1d6)[6]
    Perception - (1d6)[4]
    Perception - (1d6)[2]
    Perception - (1d6)[3]
    Perception - (1d6)[3]

Agility B5
    Agility - (1d6)[1]
    Agility - (1d6)[6]
    Agility - (1d6)[4]
    Agility - (1d6)[6]
    Agility - (1d6)[1]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

You certainly may light one of the dashed torches - I will accept the test for Perception to locate one suitably intact. Given the abstraction of time, I think it is fair that this "round" will be spent finding and kindling the torch, to be ready at your next action. I shall have another IC post published in a moment here; then Faust will have the floor.

EDIT: And I will have the repository of tests updated soon as well.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-07-02 at 12:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Kobold

I believe I shall hit it with my sword, and I suppose, stab it with my knife. Tell me my modifiers for range, my having two pointy bits of metal, and whatever armor value my current garb grants, el capitan.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's see: applicable FoRKs are Brawling, Knives, etc. - any martial skill that may be utilized in this bout of combat. With Two-Fisted Fighting, Faust will be able to strike with both sword and dagger; though I cannot recall if he is so trained. As you are initiating the engagement, you will have the benefit of ideal reach and thus +1 die. Finally, I believe Faust has the higher Reflexes score and will therefore gain a further +1 die. Do not forget your amour for the purpose of determining your dice for defense - Light Mail will provide three.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-07-05 at 11:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

Kobold

WeIl, I know I have two-handed fighting. And swords. And knives. And brawling. Archery too, though I really don't feel that's applicable here. Unfortunately, I don't know what my dice amount for the base skill is off the top of my head.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

A quick perusal of your character sheet in the Drive tells me your Swords is rated B5, providing a grand total of twelve dice, three of which must be utilized in defense. The other nine may be divided as you wish.

It would appear we've found Faust's specialty!

13. - Top - End - #193

Planetar

Brysen has no weapon skills, so I'm glad Faust is around!

14. - Top - End - #194

Kobold

Well, if the beast is slow, it is best to slay it before it can even strike. 9 dice into offense! Only 3 to defend!

(9d6)[5][3][5][6][3][5][2][3][1](33)
    (3d6)[6][5][4](15)

It seems we have 4 successes for attack, 3 for defend. I know that in 6s typically explode for attack tests in the expanded combat rules, but I'm pretty sure they don't for Bloody Versus.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-07-07 at 06:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

I need to roll a few dice here, so no peeking please. Once I have these results, we can progress shortly.

Spoiler: The Kuan
    Show
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would appear that Faust has bested the creature with a hit of Mark quality; harming the beast while escaping unscathed himself! Update forthcoming.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-07-08 at 09:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Though the kuan is wounded, it is not yet destroyed. Since Faust won the Bloody Versus he may decide the nature of his victory - allow his foe to escape or to soundly finish the beast for good. I leave this in your hands.
    Last edited by Boethius Junior; 2019-07-08 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Grammar

18. - Top - End - #198

Kobold

Well, somebody's got to die. And it won't be Faust, that's for certain. Will we require another set of rolls to finish the thing, or should I just describe Faust victory ic?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rolling has been completed for now, and you may thusly dictate your victory.

20. - Top - End - #200

Planetar

Rolling Reflex since I think we may be in a new combat.

(1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[4]

Also, who else is with us in this sanctum...I've lost track if it's just Faust and Brysen or if there are others. Outnumbered two-to-one and my not wielding a weapon aren't great odds.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

While combat may be inevitable, you are not fighting just yet...someone has to make the first move! Faust and Brysen are accompanied by Lord Crofte and a half-dozen men-at-arms from your assembly. They carry arming swords, while the Lord bears his bejeweled longsword. Should it come to blows, which is likely, the chamber is wide enough that two could fight abreast without impeding one another.

22. - Top - End - #202

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Boethius Junior View Post
    While combat may be inevitable, you are not fighting just yet...someone has to make the first move! Faust and Brysen are accompanied by Lord Crofte and a half-dozen men-at-arms from your assembly. They carry arming swords, while the Lord bears his bejeweled longsword. Should it come to blows, which is likely, the chamber is wide enough that two could fight abreast without impeding one another.
    Right! Lord Crofte and his soldiers are with us, that changes the calculus indeed! Hmmm, I think Brysen's going to try and persuade them to give up. They're caught, outnumbered, and I'll toss in a half-truth to make the situation look bleaker than it is for them.

I'm thinking it's a Persuasion check with FoRKs in Haggling (trying to convince them, offer them a better deal), Rumour-Wise (for the half-truth), and Falsehood (to back it up with a straight face)?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds reasonable to me! Give it a try.

24. - Top - End - #204

Kobold

Brysen is there for when we can negotiate; Faust is there for when you can't.

Actually, can I help Brysen persuade these treacherous curs with Intimidation? I have it at B2. A pity the Kuan blood would have evaporated by now, though; would have cut a more frightening figure.
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-07-14 at 07:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

You certainly may.

26. - Top - End - #206

Planetar

Making some rolls to back up that little speech.

Persuasion - B3
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]

Haggling, Rumour-Wise, and Falsehood FoRKs
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[1]

Help from Faust
    (1d6)[5]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Good rolls, but not enough to convince them all! I will now require a Steel test for what you have just witnessed, if you please.

28. - Top - End - #208

Planetar

Yikes! Well, at least we'll have a few captives and/or meatshields for whatever pops out of this dude.

(1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[4]

Edit: Oof, so close.
    Last edited by atlastrembles; 2019-07-17 at 08:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Kobold

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[6]

Five successes so far; do I need to do overflow rolls?
    Last edited by The Void Dragon; 2019-07-17 at 06:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your Hesitation is 5, is it not? You may roll them if you wish, but you are already acting first, no doubt.