New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unimportant 'Language Missuses' 2: Mother May II

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    An abstract is a substitute for reading the work, in the same way as the blurb on the back of a book. It won't tell you all about the contents, but it should let you decide with confidence that you don't care enough to read the rest.
    Not quite.

An abstract is supposed to remove the middle bits of the work - it tells you both the priors and the conclusion. If you are interested in either, then you can read the full work to judge if the data and methodology stand up to scrutiny.

A (well-written) TL;DR should do the same: jump from set-up to punchline/conclusion/resolution and, if your interest is piqued, you go back and read the whole story.

A blurb, on the other hand, is not supposed to give away the ending. It is supposed to give you the set-up only. Take the best* blurb ever written:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man's blurb
    Death is missing – presumed ... er ... gone. Which leads to the kind of chaos to always expect when an important public service is withdrawn.

Ghosts and poltergeists fill up the Discworld. Dead Rights activist Reg Shoe – "You Don't Have to Take This Lying Down" – suddenly has more work than he had ever dreamed of. And newly deceased wizard Windle Poons wakes up in his coffin to find that he has come back as a corpse. But it's up to Windle and the members of Ankh-Morpork's rather unfrightening group of undead to save the world for the living.

Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall, dark stranger, by the name of Bill Door, is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There's a harvest to be got in. And a different battle to be fought.
    Notice that all it does it tells you were the story start, not where it will end.

Grey Wolf

*obvious hyperbole is hopefully obvious
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-05 at 11:40 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

By contrast the worst blurb ever written award goes to the French edition of the End of Eternity which somehow manages to give the wrong set-up and spoil one of the end twists.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-06-05 at 11:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

"drain dead".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MarineMarine View Post
    Oh, I really want to learn French! Mmmm, it is so romantic
    This is so confusing for native French speakers. We think the Italians are the romantic ones.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-06-07 at 03:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This is so confusing for native French speakers. We think the Italians are the romantic ones.
    Ooooohhhhhhh, I get it!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I imagine this dialogue

"You have such a romantic language."
    "But yours is even more romantic!"
    "Ha ha, no, no, really, yours is the most romantic."
    "No, I think that one goes rightfully to you. After all, we already have our spot for producing the best wines in the world, and..."
    "WHAT THE **** DID YOU JUST SAY, YOU ********?!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I imagine this dialogue

"No, I think that one goes rightfully to you. After all, we already have our spot for producing the best wines in the world, and..."
    "You have Rome. Yours is more Romantic. QED."
    "Mamma mia!"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I imagine this dialogue

The fun part is you can have this go with either one starting.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine this dialogue

Hey! Stop hacking my phone!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Not for every coursework, no, but you made it sound a bit bigger than regular coursework. I certainly had to write abstracts for every major delivery - final year projects and the like. Heck, I remember I was asked to do the equivalent of an abstract for a coding project, once.

If you don't have one already written, then I'd be nice to hear the TL;DR instead. Depending on what your a prioris and conclusions are, it might pique my interest enough to want to read the whole thing.

Grey Wolf
    It took me a while because I had to finish another essay and I had a six-hour D&D session to DM today.

Instead of writing an abstract, I decided to copy and paste the whole conclusion section. Why? I read that an abstract has 100 to 500 words. This paragraph from the conclusion section is only 130 words, so it should stand as an abstract under any definition.

Spoiler: Abstract
    Show
    In terms of multilingualism, metapragmatics and linguistic purity, we can see four phenomena on Giant in the Playground and Futisforum2.org discussion forums. First, cyber bullying is a convenient and straightforward way to force one’s views on linguistic purity on others and this phenomenon is compounded on Futisforum2.org forum by giving a platform and an established method how to shame forum members who code-switch between Finnish and English. Second, one-off instances of marked code-switching annoys Finnish speakers while non-standard English annoys English speakers. This shows that there are clearly different standards of linguistic purity in these linguistic communities. Third, it is relevant where loanwords come from. This is important eo ipso. Fourth, multilingualism prevails: negative reactions against multilingualism and linguistic variation inspire some people to use non-standard English and code-switching.

11. - Top - End - #161

This one's not a misuse per se, it's actually something that was formerly correct. It still bugs me though....

What's up with the way the letter "s" sometimes appropriated other letters' characters in the older forms of English and German?

Ie. there was big s ("S") and little s ("s") like we have now, but there was also long s ("f") and, in german, eszett/double s ("B"). Even assuming they did need additional forms of the letter "s", why did they use characters that were already used by other letters in the same alphabet

EDIT:
    And yes, I know the characters are distinct in serif fonts, but those are only a thing in calligraphy and type. They're going to look the same handwritten.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-06-16 at 01:21 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I was taught to write estzetts with a vertical "tail", and since no word starts with a estzett it is completely impossible to mistake it with a capital b.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The long "s" doesn't usually have the crossbar that lowercase "f" does, so it's still a distinct letter even when handwritten. The German double-S actually looks more like a Greek letter beta than a capital B in my experience. In any case, it's not like they chose those letters to match others, it's that those letters evolved in parallel and just happen to look similar.

14. - Top - End - #164

The long s has half a crossbar on the left side which doesn't cross over into the right side of the letter. Unless you don;t write it carefully, in which case it probably will
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    This one's not a misuse per se, it's actually something that was formerly correct. It still bugs me though....

What's up with the way the letter "s" sometimes appropriated other letters' characters in the older forms of English and German?

Ie. there was big s ("S") and little s ("s") like we have now, but there was also long s ("f") and, in german, eszett/double s ("B"). Even assuming they did need additional forms of the letter "s", why did they use characters that were already used by other letters in the same alphabet

EDIT:
    And yes, I know the characters are distinct in serif fonts, but those are only a thing in calligraphy and type. They're going to look the same handwritten.
    You should look into ancient Greek. Uppercase sigma Σ, C, lowercase σ, ς, c.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

The long s has half a crossbar on the left side which doesn't cross over into the right side of the letter. Unless you don;t write it carefully, in which case it probably will
    THis appears only in later versions of the character, and isn't universal. The most common variant has no nub.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

And what's the deal with B and R? Why did they just stick some extra bits on P instead of making new letters?

The truth is that there were a lot of different forms for each letter. The long s was just one of the last to fall out of use. Lowercase "a" used to look like "cc"! At least the long s served a useful function in saving paper. Space - saving glyphs like long s or writing "nn" as "ñ" were the medieval equivalent of data compression to save bandwidth.

The eszett ß is a ligature of a long s and a short s. It was used so much that it just became its own letter. Just like the "et" ligature became & or the long i became j.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is a list of my favorite languages misuses.

English: "Was it mean?" (meaning: What does it mean?).

Finnish: "Salamia" ("salamis" in the partitive case) as opposed to "salamoita" ("rays of lightning" in the partitive case).

Finnish: "Haltian luvalla" ("with the elf's permission") as opposed to "haltijan luvalla" ("with the owner's permission"). Official sources state that haltia and haltija are both 'owner', but this decision has nothing to do with how people actually use and understand Finnish.

Portuguese: "Louca" (a crazy woman) as opposed to "louça" (dishes). Sometimes adding a ç is a pain in the butt, so in some cases a normal c is used instead. This can cause (amusing) miscommunication. I laughed with tears in my eyes when a native speaker of Portuguese asked me in WhatsApp if I leave crazy women around my bed.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    . I laughed with tears in my eyes when a native speaker of Portuguese asked me in WhatsApp if I leave crazy women around my bed.
    Kinda makes more sense than leaving dishes around your bed. Or is that just me?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Kinda makes more sense than leaving dishes around your bed. Or is that just me?
    Context: We were talking about my unconventional and disorganized urban bachelor lifestyle. I hope it makes more sense now.

21. - Top - End - #171

MonkGuy

A recent coinage that bugs me, because it doesn't mean quite what I would assume it means:

"Plant-based diet".

Based on normal English use, I would assume that means a diet in which plants are the main components. However, it has recently started appeared as a synonymn/euphemism for "vegan diet" (i.e. only plants and nothing else).

IMO, the "based" is unneccessary and confusing. What they are actually talking about is simply a "plant diet".

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    IMO, the "based" is unneccessary and confusing. What they are actually talking about is simply a "plant diet".
    On a technical level, for sure. On a cultural level, we tend to talk about "the noun diet" (the grapefruit diet, the quinoa diet, and so on) as 'a diet' one goes on for a time to lose weight. So 'plant diet' might communicate to many that it was similar to going vegan for a restricted period of time to achieve certain ends (weight loss, determining if you feel better after cutting out ____, etc.), as opposed to (at least attempting to) changing your ongoing food consumption pattern to exclude non-plant material.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Here is a list of my favorite languages misuses.

English: "Was it mean?" (meaning: What does it mean?).
    I suspect, indeed, am all but certain, that they're not saying "was it mean" but "what's it mean?" thus contracting "does" to "'s".

Unless they're writing it down, in which case they're just wrong.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A slightly weird one: "begging the question".

Using "begging the question" to refer to the logical fallacy relies on obscure meanings of the words. It's not really wrong because you can use the phrase this way and be understood -- but you're using the language in a way that abandons common sense for no benefit.

This one's particularly weird because I think I may be more likely to be more irritated when people get this more right.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post

Using "begging the question" to refer to the logical fallacy relies on obscure meanings of the words. It's not really wrong because you can use the phrase this way and be understood -- but you're using the language in a way that abandons common sense for no benefit.

This one's particularly weird because I think I may be more likely to be more irritated when people get this more right.
    I dunno, both uses more or less work out to "sure, but that assumes that thing we're discussing is true."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I dunno, both uses more or less work out to "sure, but that assumes that thing we're discussing is true."
    I'm not really seeing that.

When you use it to mean the same thing as "prompts the question" or "raises the question", you're saying, "as a result of this X that we've just said, we now need to ask Y".

The logical fallacy meaning -- "your argument depends on your conclusion being true" -- comes from Latin, and people don't really use the word 'question' like that any more. Which begs the question: why can't we just come up with another term for the logical fallacy?

27. - Top - End - #177

MonkGuy

Agree. I think that's a particularly irritating example of a more general language misuse, namely "insisting that one specific technical meaning is the only valid meaning of a word of phrase".

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    A recent coinage that bugs me, because it doesn't mean quite what I would assume it means:

"Plant-based diet".

Based on normal English use, I would assume that means a diet in which plants are the main components. However, it has recently started appeared as a synonymn/euphemism for "vegan diet" (i.e. only plants and nothing else).

I presume it's "plant-based" rather than "plant" because you're eating plant products, not just plants.

Also, a vegan diet and a plant-based diet aren't quite the same thing. IIRC, veganism is defined as avoiding animal cruelty/exploitation wherever it's practical to do so, which means that what's vegan depends on the situation and varies from person to person, whereas a given food is either plant-based or it isn't.

There are also cases such as honey (clearly plant-based, probably not vegan) and the meat animal from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (potentially vegan, definitely not plant-based).

Of course, I'm not vegan, so I could be wrong about all of that.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2019-06-23 at 08:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Honey is indeed not vegan. However I believe mushrooms are, and they're not plants, they're fungi. But I don't know if they're part of a "plant-based diet", they could very well be.

30. - Top - End - #180

Using "begging the question" to refer to the logical fallacy relies on obscure meanings of the words. It's not really wrong because you can use the phrase this way and be understood -- but you're using the language in a way that abandons common sense for no benefit..
    IIRC it's not even obscure senses, it's a straight-up mistranslation of the original latin phrase

Omegaupdate Forum