Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Help Me Choose A Car? - Australia

"If you want an appliance to get from point A to point B, then get a Toyota Corolla (Click and Clack the Tappet brothers)."

By the proper outback do you mean that if it breaks down that you could die?

Now mind you that I live in Chicago Illinois in the United States of America. It can sometimes get dangerously hot and dangerously cold (if young, old, or sick). People die (mostly the old) all the time in the summer from the heat, and sometimes you can get frostbite by standing outside. I know that we are famous for 1920's gangsters, but the heat in the summer is crazy deadly to the elder population. If I break down, then I should be able to call for help, wave someone down, or walk to a gas station.

Now you likely know better than I do, but perhaps pack your trunk/boot with a case of Gatorade, a few jugs of water, a huge container of cashews, and make sure that your phone is charged.

I really like my Toyota Corolla. I bought it new in 2006. It was a choice between buying a new one for $14,000 or buying a newish used one for ~$12,000. The thing was cheap, is fuel economical, and has proved to be pretty reliable. It has its downsides . . . it really pissed me off that I could not turn the headlights off if I wanted to at the drive-in theater (we still have some of those), but that must be a cultural oversight. The clock is somehow famous for needing to be re-soldered else you put up with the display being intermittent. A lot of the lights on the dash burned out, and either I don't care enough to fully explain to my mechanic what I mean by burned out dash lights, or he does not want to replace them.

We had a national radio show called Car Talk that was hosted by "Click and Clack the Tappet brothers." They were experienced mechanics who knew enough to answer callers questions about automobiles. I would call them experts. We have a yearly car show in Chicago. I watched an interview with them and one of them said something like "If you want an appliance to get from point A to point B, then get a Toyota Corolla."
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-04 at 07:16 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Sure, plenty of of OEM car makers subcontract parts production and engineering out to other manufaturers, (modules made by Delphi, relays made by Bosch or transmissions made by Tremec,) and it's not exactly new. Though some car makers do use components designed and made in-house by other car makers as well. I've taken parts out of a Volvo that were made by Ford and were branded as such.

Though as an aside, a camshaft probably would not be a "parts bin" type part, since it's a precision-ground machine part and would only fit engines of the same engine family. That is, it could work if a Nissan engine and a Renault engine were completely the same or very, very similar mechanically.
    Entire drive trains and chassis are shared between manufacturers. My friend has a Citroen C1 which is identical to a Toyota Aygo which is identical to a small Peugeot car. They all look ever so slightly different in the body but underneath they are, as far as I understand it, exactly the same car. Since all 3 cars are mechnically the same, can we be sure it was all made to a Toyota standard or did they settle for PSA* good enough? (* PSA is the Peugeot-Citroen group)

There is even a Jaguar that shares a large part of the chassis with a much cheaper generic sedan IIRC. I want to say a Volvo and Ford but not certain, it was something ludicrously cheap in comparison though. The car industry is starting to become like the air carriers, they team up in alliances to share costs and distribute passenger flows, or in the carmanufacturers case, share development costs, technology and scales of economies. But that also means they are all turning into the same mediocre performers. Remember how there's been massive issues in Toyota cars eg last few years? Such a thing woulda been unthinkable say 20+ years ago. I don't think it's a coincidence it shows up now as the car industry consolidates.

Beyond a very small handicraft carmaker I don't think any carmaker is today making every part from ground up on their own assembly lines.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    A lot of those engines are. You've probably seen Nissan, Renault *and* Mitsubishi cars labelled "dCi". That's not a coincidence--all those cars use the same dCi diesel engine that was co-developed by the three manufacturers. The latest Nissan Micras sold in the UK can be got with the same 900cc turbo petrol unit that's in my 2013 Dacia Sandero (another Renault-owned company), although in that case Nissan call it the IG-T engine rather than using the TCe Renault designation.
    Exactly this. Although I would suspect the Dacias run on slightly older technology, at least that's how someone explained it to me. "Old Renault technology" is why the Dacia is cheap (and ofc being assembled in Romania).

Engines, chassis and transmission/drive trains are the biggest ones where they share costs and knowledge.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-04-04 at 03:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hmm I have been thinking about what I should have in my trunk.

Oranges. Always pack oranges. An elderly couple broke down in the Arizona desert, and the wife survived on oranges. Jugs of water are likely more useful and stay longer, but . . . oranges.

Also pack a hatchet. A mother needed to kill a man who was trying to abduct and/or kill her children. An axe in the trunk was the solution to this problem.

Also also pack/carry a knife. The other month a hiker needed to fight off a mountain lion by strangling it with his feet . . . impressive, but I bet that a knife would have been keen. You got those crocodiles . . . so a bazooka?

One of those little hammers to break the window if you end up in a large body of water. Or roll down the window, but you would need to wait for the water to fill up inside first, then roll down the window. All the same they have those little hammers for something . . . power windows failing perhaps.

Stuff to set your tires on fire with. They SMOKE like the devil farting! Folks should be able to find you with a tire fire!
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-04 at 09:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post

Oranges. Always pack oranges. An elderly couple broke down in the Arizona desert, and the wife survived on oranges. Jugs of water are likely more useful and stay longer, but . . . oranges.
    Interesting, but I woud go for the water as it will keep longer than the oranges I think.

Also pack a hatchet. A mother needed to kill a man who wat trying to abduct and/or kill her children. An axe in the trunk was the solution to this problem.

Also also pack/carry a knife. The other month a hiker needed to fight off a mountain lion by strangling it with his feet . . . impressive, but I bet that a knife would have been keen. You got those crocodiles . . . so a bazooka?
    Surely this is an either/or - you don't need both.

One of those little hammers to break the window if you end up in a large body of water. Or roll down the window, but you would need to wait for the water to fill up inside first, then roll down the window. All the same they have those little hammers for something . . . power windows failing perhaps.
    OK several twists to this one. The best devices don't just have a spike for breaking windows/windscreens - they have a recessed blade to cut the seatbelt.
    The recommendation for a car going in to a lake used to be to wait until the car hits bottom and fills up with water - at this point pressure has equalised and the doors can be opened fairly easily. Since this takes several seconds after you run out of air, it's not recommended any more.
    The current advice is attempt to get the door open as soon as possible - if you start before the car is very deep you may be able to force it against the pressure differential enough for water to flood in - at which pont the car will fill quickly and you can open the door the rest of the way.
    If you can get out of the window but cannot open the door then do so - getting out as soon as possible is the overall advice. Be aware that water pressure can make manual windows hard to open and even if the electric motor is strong enough to overried the pressure, it will probably short out when submerged - hence the devices for smashing the windows.

Stuff to set your tires on fire with. They SMOKE like the devil farting! Folks should be able to find you with a tire fire!
    Now that is a clever trick.

In general the advice on what to carry depends on where you are driving and the local hazards - if owrried find that out and remember to check for changes if you travel elsewhere.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Also pack a hatchet. A mother needed to kill a man who was trying to abduct and/or kill her children. An axe in the trunk was the solution to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Surely this is an either/or - you don't need both.
    Depends. If you're solely talking about having to fight something off, then yeah, they're fairly interchangeable. But for survival in the wilderness, a hatchet and knife have vastly different use cases.

That said, I think we're straying a little far from car recommendations here.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Depends. If you're solely talking about having to fight something off, then yeah, they're fairly interchangeable. But for survival in the wilderness, a hatchet and knife have vastly different use cases.
    In the wild I would likely think that both would be a good idea. Knife on your belt, and the ax in the trunk. That jogger getting jumped by a mountain lion in a wooded area made me think about carrying a knife. I sometimes go into national parks and whatnot. I am almost never alone or far from the group. This guy was alone. Likely in a group I perhaps could hold off some animal long enough for my companions to hit it with a backpack, a big rock, and/or a big stick. A bare would be extremely unlikely, perhaps almost impossible in most of the places I go to.

Pepper spray would be a good one too. We bought a big can of pepper spray while vacationing in Colorado where there were bares nearby. They basically told us not to leave the doors or windows open and not to leave any food out.

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    That said, I think we're straying a little far from car recommendations here.
    I suppose it depends how remote the area is in Australia for how on topic what to pack or what you would need to make room for if you were to need it.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-04-04 at 10:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Exactly this. Although I would suspect the Dacias run on slightly older technology, at least that's how someone explained it to me. "Old Renault technology" is why the Dacia is cheap (and ofc being assembled in Romania).
    A lot of it is old Renault technology, I have no doubt (largely based on the old Renault Clio, which is no bad thing), but the TCe engine was only introduced by Renault in 2012 (it was their first turbo petrol engine), and as I said my car is 2013, so that engine was only a year old at the time.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    A lot of it is old Renault technology, I have no doubt (largely based on the old Renault Clio, which is no bad thing), but the TCe engine was only introduced by Renault in 2012 (it was their first turbo petrol engine), and as I said my car is 2013, so that engine was only a year old at the time.
    Funnily enough I have a 2012 Nissan Micra with that turbo petrol engine. When I bought it last year (used) they had just introduced a new Micra model. So when you say the latest Micras sold... that should be the model introduced like 2017/8 or some such...

I was actually looking at the Sandero, but eventually realised a used car gives me more stuff at the price I want than a Sandero which ends up as slightly more expensive (cheap sticker price notwithstanding) and absolutely bare bones.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Serpentine is talking about Australia. There aren't any mountain lions - sure there are crocodiles and snakes, but the best defence against those is to avoid them, not attack them with a sharp object.

The parts of Australia Serpentine is talking about get dangerously hot, but not dangerously cold.

The biggest thing about Australia is how big it is. It's over ten times the size of Texas (not far off the size of the entire US), but with a smaller population. Most of the population they do have is clustered on the east on south east coasts. That leaves massive land area with almost no people - hence why Serpentine needs to drive for hours to get to the nearest town.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Serpentine is talking about Australia. There aren't any mountain lions - sure there are crocodiles and snakes, but the best defence against those is to avoid them, not attack them with a sharp object.

The parts of Australia Serpentine is talking about get dangerously hot, but not dangerously cold.

The biggest thing about Australia is how big it is. It's over ten times the size of Texas (not far off the size of the entire US), but with a smaller population. Most of the population they do have is clustered on the east on south east coasts. That leaves massive land area with almost no people - hence why Serpentine needs to drive for hours to get to the nearest town.
    I thought the biggest threat was the roving raiders driving around in thier over-the-top-fantastic deathtrap machines fighting over the few scraps of oil left from when the last tanker visited. (I guess they got French bigrig drivers who are always on strike).

Since distances is a factor. It strikes me something like a two-way radio might be a good idea? Or do the kangaroos all got good cell phone reception?
    Being able to contact people without having to depend on your iPhone seems like somethign to consider.