New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion XVIII: Lunars Time To Shine!

The Dynastic way of raising kids seems very depressing, but then it's pretty standard for powerful aristocracies. Doubly so here because the kids are prepared for the possibility of Exalting and will be implicitly considered failures if they don't.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The Dynastic way of raising kids seems very depressing, but then it's pretty standard for powerful aristocracies. Doubly so here because the kids are prepared for the possibility of Exalting and will be implicitly considered failures if they don't.
    and makes it clear that the Dynastic view of "family" is very political and impersonal. how a Dynast defines closeness and warmth probably has more to do with their sworn kinship or their nannies and well-treated servants than their blood relations, and probably have find fulfilling relationships where they can.

I imagine many Dragon-Blooded despite their immense power and privilege don't feel like they have much control over their situation at all, knowing that they have 10,000 peers and betters shifting the tides of history and politics in whatever direction they choose around them, binding them with expectations, duties, oaths, threats from within and without, and knowing that their education was given to them by their matriarch and owe something to them for that opportunity. I can just imagine all the introverted and socially averse ones just not doing well in that environment at all, and thus either end up going to the Heptagram or the Cloister of Wisdom depending on whether they want to avoid socialization entirely or desire an alternate social group that isn't a pit of vipers competing to bite you first.

assuming they don't just say "peace out" and become outcastes in the threshold.

also from the Realm book, I can just imagine a patrician artist in the Realm being sick of painting dragons and wishing they could make pictures of anything else but the one time they paint even a photo-realistic painting of something, they hide it out of fear of heresy and coveting material things.

Edit: also you know what the Realm book makes me want to do? make a Realm Friendsim in the style of Hiveswaps. just explore various people within one place or another in Realm society, what they do and think of the system around them, one person at a time, both the good and the horrible.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-06-01 at 06:17 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I got to thinking about actually running an Exalted campaign one of these days. As I said in another thread, I'd start off with a mortal campaign to get everyone familiar with the mechanics. So far, the best idea I've had is the PCs leading a caravan of refugees from some disaster or other. Trying to get them to safety should allow me to use a variety of mortal and supernatural challenges that can require combat, stealth, diplomacy or something else to tackle.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

The more I refine a certain character of mine, the more confident I am in playing a mortal/normal person, so I'll probably be ready whenever you make that happen.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds pretty cool. It'd be interesting to see how stuff like social combat work when characters can't just explode it by throwing essence at the problem.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2019-07-17 at 06:39 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

That's more or less the idea. Let the players juggle the subsystems before they throw a pile of Charms on top of that. It's definitely an idea for a whole campaign, but it'll do as a warm-up exercise too. My idea for a proper Exalted game is Lunars against the Guild. With the PCs being Lunars who oppose the Guild's influence in a territory they have a claim to.