New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default The First Adventure (1v1, PF)

Nazrael has left behind his home. There was little more for him to learn there, and his solitary studies have left him with few friends to tie him down. Still, it is something to look forward to, when he returns. His ultimate destination is Beacon, but that is a world away, and he doesn’t even know for sure where. Only the correct direction. And it is to that direction the young mage sets off to.

His friend, a man about his age called Karian, is there to see him off. His teacher, not as spry as he once was, nor entirely supporting of his decision. He is not present, but gives him a parting gift. Two magic scrolls, scribed with Magic Missile and Mage Armor. Karian gives you a recovery ointment he purchased.

Recovery ointment
    If you rest overnight, you recover an extra 10 hp

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The First Adventure (1v1, PF)

Nazrael thanks his friend and mentor, putting the gifts in his backpack. Thankfully it wasn't TOO heavy...

Taking his walking stick (a quarterstaff) he heads off in the direction he has, a small sad smile on his face as he goes off to the unknown to try and fix the problems of the world with the application of Arcane Power.

During the day, he will stop for food, eating as little as he feels he can get away with, immediately trying to ration his food, as he does not know how far he must travel. However when he stops he will start writing on the pieces of paper he has in the smallest writing he can manage a sort of diary, he packs it away carefully before heading off again to see what awaits him in the wider world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

He knows from sporadic visits to his home village that there are a few other villages nearby. His raven familiar remains nearby, occasionally stretching his wings before landing on his staff or shoulder. From one wandering, he brings a silver pendant.

4. - Top - End - #4

ClericGuy

Nazrael looks a little taken aback.

"Corvus, where did you find this?"

He inspects the pendent more closely while the bird responds, to see if he can find any sign of an owner, and looks around to see if anyone is charging towards him looking either worried or angry that some bird has just stolen one of their belongings.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"It was snagged on a branch. So now it's mine" Corvus declares.

It likely does belong to somebody. He is quite far from any settlements, so whoever it belonged to was either an explorative soul like himself or lost. If he is interested, he could have Corvus show him the place and see if there were any tracks.

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGuy

Nazrael chuckles at Corvus' response. He looks over the pendant to try and gauge it's value.

((Appraise - (1d20+7)[24]))

"Well perhaps you can show me where you found it? It may be that it was someone else's and you have taken it from them."

He follows Corvus as the bird shows him where he found it, and he looks around for any sign of someone having come through here.

((Perception - (1d20+2)[9]))

He also tries to remember anything he knows about this area, i.e. what the closest village is.
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2019-03-07 at 06:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The pendant, held in a small piece of string, looks to be full silver, and there is a small red garnet set in it. It looks to be worth some 25gp. Quite pricy.

"Sure thing" he says, taking wing, flying off the path in the tangled forest. Nazrael follows, finding the location of the branch. Corvus sits on the branch in question, somewhere around shoulder height. There are frayed parts of a string to go with it on the branch itself.

A quick look around the area finds flecks of blood. Some prints on the muddy ground tell the direction of the traveller. It doesn't seem more than a day or two old.

The closest village is Birchby. He reckons this is still a full day away, considering the terrain.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Remember that a Familiar gives you Alertness as a bonus Feat (giving +2 Perception, a few conditions apply) and can also use Aid Another where it makes sense.

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGuy

((OoC: I thought it just gave me a +3 Bonus to Appraise checks in PF, and Alertness was 3.5?))

"Corvus, I think you may have happened upon something more than a simple bauble."

Nazrael begins to follow the trail, being careful to tread quietly and carefully.

((Stealth - (1d20+5)[6]))
    Last edited by ShadowImmor; 2019-03-07 at 09:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Familiar
    Show
    It is actually both. A raven familiar gives bonus to Appraise, but all familiars grant their master Alertness if in arm's reach. They also have an empathic link, and the familiar benefits from Improved Evasion.

The trail continues for a time. He sees other prints. From a beast of some kind. It seems to be following the same tracks. It seems to be at least as big as a guard dog. Both prints seem to have been running.

He follows the trail for a time. It leads to a small hollow, and there, to two bodies. One beast, the other human. Both are covered in blood.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

Nazrael looks at Corvus.

"Well this doesn't look like a lot of fun."

He uses his staff to prod the bodies to ensure they are both dead (prodding them from as far away as he can).

Then assuming both are dead, he begins looking through the hollow.

"Corvus, keep an eye out for me. Let me know if anything's coming."

((Perception - (1d20+4)[10]))

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The animal is certainly dead. After tipping it with his staff, there's a dagger sticking out of its stomach. The human looks like a hunter. There is a bow and a quiver with four arrows by him. No arrows sticking out of the animal though. He is a man, maybe in his forties, heavily injured, but he is breathing shallow breaths. He doesn't stir with probing.

"That guy is resilient" Corvus says, after taking a tour of the area. "Do you think we could get him to wake with some water?"

12. - Top - End - #12

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods, taking out his waterskin and splashing some on the man's face.

If he awakens, Nazrael will offer him a drink from the waterskin, if he doesn't rouse Nazrael will see if there's a way he can form a stretcher of some sort to allow him to drag this guy to the nearest town.

((Intelligence - (1d20+4)[21]))

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man groans as his face is splashed.
    "Urgh… What happened?" he asks slowly. "Who are you?"
    He clutches his injured side. "I... Thank you" he says.

He is fit to walk, albeit slowly, and can take Nazrael to his home village if he wishes

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

Nazrael chuckles.

"Welcome back to the land of the living. I'm Nazrael. I found you and this.." he indicates the creature. "..beast. It's dead, and was so when I arrived. Where are you from? We should get you back to your home."

He tries to help support the man, but Nazrael is not a strong man, though he does his best. He offers the man some food as well before they set off.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I... I'm from Birchby… Aron. My name is Aron. I'm a hunter. I messed up pretty bad..." he explains. He eats the food, though even such a task seems to tax him. The way he is, he can walk slowly, though he is grateful for the support. "You're a stranger… Where are you going to?" he asks.

You travel towards his home. The guide makes it convenient, but as the Sun begins to set, it's becoming increasingly clear that you won't reach the man's village in time.

"There's a lodge, not far. For hunters. It's safe for the night." He'll guide you there.

It's a small wooden cabin. Inside, there's a stove, a few benches and bedrolls. Corvus flutters about, examining his pilfered pendant. Aron takes notice of that. "That's mine." he says.
    "Nope, I found it. Mine." Corvus says. Aron stares at the bird dumbly. "Did... did that bird just talk?"

16. - Top - End - #16

ClericGuy

Nazrael listens to his story.

"It's quite alright. I'm just out exploring trying to find more arcane lore and information on The Beacon. My Familiar..." he indicates the raven "... found a pendant which led me to you."

Once they arrive at the cabin, he lays Aron down carefully, trying to ensure he doesn't cause more injuries. Nazrael then gets out some food and splits it between himself and Aron, giving some seeds and the like to Corvus.

Nazrael chuckles.

"Yes, it did. As a Familiar to a Wizard, the Raven learns to speak a language, I chose common, as it's easier to speak that with others. He quite likes your pendent and without him finding it, I would never have found you."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Then you're the one to thank for my rescue" he says to Corvus. "Keep it"

"And... thanks to you as well, young man" he says. "I'm afraid I don't have much to offer to a wizard. But... There was a mage in Birchby. He never took an apprentice and passed away. He left some books behind, but none in the village have made much sense of them."

You rest for the night, and when morning comes, Aron is better off. He can walk by himself.

Show
    Nazrael can follow him, or go by himself. Or take a different direction. Corvus got himself a silver pendant.

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGuy

Nazrael pets his bird, and tries to shorten the pendent so Corvus can wear it. If that's not possible he will tie it to the birds leg.

"I'll come and see Birchby, and if no one else wants the books, I'd be glad to have them. Who knows, maybe I can put them to some good use!"

He walks with Aron, along whichever path to Birchby Aron deems best.

"Why were you so far away from the village?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I'm a hunter. I was tracking prey. Only to have the other beast get in my way. I had to run... And I got caught. Looks like I came out on top though... Though without you, I... I might not have woken at all." he says. You take the route to Birchby. Emerging onto a footpath first, then remnants of an old trade road, paved with stones cracked by time and displaced by roots.

The village of Birchby is built around a hilltop shrine. Besides the shrine, there is a cluster of houses, and several large scatterings of buildings. Fields stretch around the village, thick with grain, growing in the summer.

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

"Ah I see. Well I'm glad to have found you when I did."

Nazrael takes Aron home, making sure he is well enough before spending a little time wondering around the village, possibly popping into the tavern.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aron thanks him again, taking Nazrael to one of the smaller buildings, opening the door that wasn't locked, and into the interior. It's dusty, largely undisturbed, with a bookshelf, a worktable both covered with cloth that he pulls away. There are a few scrolls, a lamp and a bed. "I'll have someone clean up the place" Aron says. "I suppose you can stay here for the night, at least."

Show
    There is a spellbook among them, and other books of arcane research. However, deeper research takes some time.

A young girl waits outside, glomping Aron as he leaves the house. "You're back daddy" she says. It's his daughter. You leave the hunter to her, satisfied that he is safe.

You head to the tavern. Inside, there's the proprietor, an elderly woman, a serving girl, a trio of young men that have the look of farmhands, an older man, and a pair of women chatting at a table.
    "Oh. A new face. That's two in one day. A rare enough event, in any case. What can I get for you?"

22. - Top - End - #22

ClericGuy

Nazrael will pick up the spellbook, and bring it with him, and once he gets to the tavern and is greeted smiles in a friendly way.

"Good I please have some food and a tankard of ale? Thank you".

He will take his tankard and just as he turns to go and take a seat.

"Second person? Who else arrived who is not one of your people?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Sure thing" the proprietor says, filling the tankard and leaving to prepare the order.

"A woman came by in the early hours of the morning. She's asleep now." one of the young men says.
    "Yeah. Kind of weird to be travelling through the night" one of the women from the other table says. "And alone" the other interjects."
    "Didn't look like she was about to stay. So what brings you to Birchby?"

After a while, his food arrives. Chicken stew and hard bread.

24. - Top - End - #24

ClericGuy

Nazrael nods, furrowing his brow as he thinks.

"That is a bit odd... is she staying here at this Inn?"

He smiles.

"I found Aron in my travels he was injured, so I helped him return home."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Yeah. She's here." the man replies. "Should be waking up soon too. Didn't want to sleep all day."
    "Aron, huh?" the old man asks. "The town's been worried over him after he didn't return on time. People sometimes go missing while ranging. Sad but true."

As he finishes his dinner, Nazrael gets a glimpse of the other newcomer in Birchby. She emerges from the rooms in the second floor. She isn't human, that's the first thing he notices. Pointed ears, eyes that are just a little off in shape compared to those of others, faintly radiant green. He skin is tanned, and she bears a curved blade at her side. Tall and slender and confident, she walks over to the tavernkeeper, asking for food. She speaks the common tongue with a singsong accent.

26. - Top - End - #26

ClericGuy

Nazrael will try and figure out what race this newcomer is, if he can figure it out and speaks her language, he will speak to her in it at least at first. (He speaks Elven, Celestial, Dwarven, Gnommish and Draconic) if he doesn't speak a language she would understand he will stick with common.

"Good morning! I hear you're the other new arrival. I'm Nazrael good to meet you."

He will offer his hand to her.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

She is an elf. She looks surprised to be spoken to in her own tongue. "Greetings. My name is Caerys. A pilgrim." The last word has no direct translation, variously pilgrim, traveller, seeker or wanderer.

She eyes the hand for a moment, apparently unfamiliar with the gesture, then takes the hand tentatively.

28. - Top - End - #28

ClericGuy

Nazrael smiles.

"Where are you travelling from and to? Please, join me."

He indicates a seat at his table.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I am what is called Esholi. A scholar. I seek new places and new experiences" she says, taking the seat. "I hope to find a purpose. Searching outside my old home."

Soon enough, she gets a dish of her own. It's all vegetables for her.
    "Anyway, Nazrael, why is it that you travel?"

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGuy

He smiles.

"To learn. Learn about everything and anything. To get to The Beacon and discover more about how it works."

He continues eating watching Esholi.

"What sort of purpose are you looking for?"