New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Looking for the next game

I'm looking for game recommendations on PC.

What I look for is:

1) A co-op game I can play with my brother.
    It needs to be a built in co-op, like something that is based on Steam invitations and not something that will require us to raise a server somewhere.
    But I prefer it not to be a full multiplayer game (unless it focuses on small groups that can basically ignore everyone else).

2) It needs to be relaxing.
    It doesn't have to be Stardew Valley, I don't mind if death is a possibility, but the purpose is to relax a bit after work every couple of days, not to frustrate us like in "Don't starve together".

Other than that I'm not picky.
    It can be a crafting 2d game, turn based, basically anything.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Looking for the next game

If you like puzzles, Portal 2's built-in co-op mode is well respected. Not a great deal of replayability, though, once you've solved all the puzzles.

If you like tower defense games, Orcs Must Die 2 is designed for 2-player co-op.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Terraria might scratch your itch. It's a sort of 2D Minecraft that's a little less open ended. It's more RPG-like in the that there's a focus on getting better gear and fighting tougher bosses, but you can also build some crazy stuff if you work at it or get into modding it. it's not as easy to mod as Minecraft from what I know, however.

It supports co-op just fine, one of you hosts the game and the other connects, no need for external servers or anything.

It also has the benefit of being very cheap, often on sale, and still getting updates despite being out for eight years now.

Any of the Civilization games could do the same. 4, 5, and 6 are all on steam and do multiplayer. It'd be easy enough to hop onto an ongoing game to play a few turns. Being turn-based means it's definitely not fast-paced and stressful...though Montezuma declaring war on you because he's Montezumaand that's what he does might get old.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Check out Dungeons of Fayte. It's a free local coop game that plays like an RPG Zelda, compatible with 4 people. The controls are simple enough that you can have two players on the keyboard and one on the mouse.

It has some mildly competitive mechanics (like how you can argue how to resolve encounter choices), but overall the game is pretty relaxing. It has a bunch of classes and a repeatable end-game mode where you fight an infinite number of enemies, just in case you want to blow stuff up.

Terraria has my vote as a solid option, too. It's a bit more function-oriented than Minecraft (meaning your base, traps, gear and monster slaying all matter a lot more), but the game only gets harder when you choose it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Started Terraria for now, guess that will last for some time.

Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Magicka might also be something to try out, though the friendly fire potential might be an issue. Also not sure how the multiplayer works; I've only played it in single-player mode.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2019-03-08 at 05:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Magicka might also be something to try out, though the friendly fire potential might be an issue. Also not sure how the multiplayer works; I've only played it in single-player mode.
    It's....a bit chaotic. A lot of fun, but not something I'd play "casually". More like "Hey, bro, I'm trying to cast Haste here. Could you stop spraying water on me? Like, NOW!?"

Magicka uses a fluid magic creation system where you combine multiple components of magic to cast customized spell, however physical conditions get in the way. Being wet when channeling the Lightning element shocks you, breaks your spellcasting, and stuns you slightly. Haste happens to be a Lightning-based buff.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-08 at 05:10 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, already tries Magicka several years ago and it didn't fit what we were looking for.
    We did however take other hack and slash games, Tortchlight 1 and 2, and recently Grim Dawn.

Terraria is a bit annoying since it has the style of "I'm not going to tell you anything", still, it's something we can take in our pace, so it's fine.

9. - Top - End - #9

Diablo 3 is a nice mix of mindless fun and fast-paced difficulty.

5th Edition Homebrewery

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Planetar

Some of the later Total Wars, I think personally, that Rome 2 - especially with a game lengthening mod, like say Divide Et Impera - is the best in the series for Head to Head Campaigns, while Co-Op Campaigns are best in Total War Warhammer 2.

They can be relaxing, in that you can let your armies just fight using AutoResolve, or you can control manually - and if you control Manually in a H2H against an AI controlled faction, your Brother can take the role of your enemy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Diablo 3 is a nice mix of mindless fun and fast-paced difficulty.
    I found Diablo 3 to be as close to catatonia as I ever care to come. It was so frictionless, there was absolutely nothing there anymore.

Divinity 2 is brilliant, and has co-op. It's not necessarily an easy game, but it does have an easy mode.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Yeah, already tries Magicka several years ago and it didn't fit what we were looking for.
    We did however take other hack and slash games, Tortchlight 1 and 2, and recently Grim Dawn.

Terraria is a bit annoying since it has the style of "I'm not going to tell you anything", still, it's something we can take in our pace, so it's fine.
    The Terraria Wiki is your friend.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Factorio is relatively laid back. You can turn enemies off completely, but I find that boring myself. It's easy enough to play co-op, just load a save directly in Multiplayer.

Sacred is an older title now, but you can play over LAN, or direct via IP, even if there aren't servers that I know of. Two players is about perfect for max XP bonus.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    The Terraria Wiki is your friend.
    We did pick to play this game, so I don't want to sound too negative about it, but still...
    As a rule of thumb, if a game makes you go to an external wiki, then something is wrong with the design of the UI.

Here is just a thought: If instead of showing me the recipes I can create in the current workstation with the current items in my inventory, show me all the items I can create in the workstation, and mark the ones I can't create with the current items as grey.
    Want to keep some recipes a secret? That's also fine, just include a couple of "? + ? = ?" to keep it interesting, and replace the question mark only if I actually have the item on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Factorio is relatively laid back. You can turn enemies off completely, but I find that boring myself. It's easy enough to play co-op, just load a save directly in Multiplayer.

Sacred is an older title now, but you can play over LAN, or direct via IP, even if there aren't servers that I know of. Two players is about perfect for max XP bonus.
    Tried the Factorio demo long time ago, and didn't really like it, don't even remember why.

15. - Top - End - #15

If you like Diablo like games, Grim Dawn is fun in both single and multiplayer.

Had you not had the 2nd point, I'd have recommended Vermintide 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    If you like Diablo like games, Grim Dawn is fun in both single and multiplayer.

Had you not had the 2nd point, I'd have recommended Vermintide 2
    We already played Grim Dawn, both single and multiplayer, with every combination of character the game had to offer.
    No doubt about it, for an after work stress relief nothing beats a good hack and slash game.

17. - Top - End - #17

Sanctum and Sanctum 2 were pretty good in co-op from memory, I'm pretty sure you just use your steam logins to invite the other and it works.

I seem to recall the second one had a mildly obnoxious Yogscast dlc, but it is a decent enough first person shooter tower defence game despite that.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I know that you're having your brother in mind, but I think these five would suit you even if the article's intended audience is different.

• Portal 2
    • Minecraft
    • Diablo III
    • Borderlands 2
    • Towerfall Ascension

Source:

Eneba Blog

&

Eneba Blog 2

Have a pleasant co-op experience mate! ;)
    Last edited by Neptunas123; 2019-03-19 at 03:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

We already played Grim Dawn, both single and multiplayer, with every combination of character the game had to offer.
    No doubt about it, for an after work stress relief nothing beats a good hack and slash game.
    Path of exile should scratch your itch if you haven't tried it already since it's about the same level of involvement as GD.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I just recently started playing Vermintide II. While the higher levels can be quite demanding, there's nothing like going on a few Recruit difficulty missions and just absolutely laying the smackdown on all things filthy and unholy.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Baldur's Gate & especially Baldur's Gate 2 is probably my favorite co-op series to play with 2 people. It is a ton of hours for your money and not stressful. Old, but an enhanced edition was released fairly recently, as was Siege of Dragonspear. (A new game that takes place between the first and second game. I personally haven't played yet.)

My girlfriend and I semi-recently started playing through enhanced edition, and for reference our 1 run of BG1 logged 101 hours, and our BG2 run isn't complete at 125 hours. It largely depends on how many sidequests and things you like doing too though, and it always feels like you are making some progress. Our 101 hour run of BG 1 was without doing any character specific sidequests. (Of which there are a lot) But doing everything else.
    Last edited by Zenzis; 2019-03-20 at 12:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

We did pick to play this game, so I don't want to sound too negative about it, but still...
    As a rule of thumb, if a game makes you go to an external wiki, then something is wrong with the design of the UI.

Here is just a thought: If instead of showing me the recipes I can create in the current workstation with the current items in my inventory, show me all the items I can create in the workstation, and mark the ones I can't create with the current items as grey.
    Want to keep some recipes a secret? That's also fine, just include a couple of "? + ? = ?" to keep it interesting, and replace the question mark only if I actually have the item on me.
    The game actually has an internal wiki - the Guide. You can show him any material item, and he'll list everything that can be made with it, including using workstations you don't have. This doesn't help you with finding completely new items for existing workstations, but it's usually a good idea to check with the Guide if you see a completely new Material that you don't know what it's for.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Zenzis View Post
    Baldur's Gate & especially Baldur's Gate 2 is probably my favorite co-op series to play with 2 people. It is a ton of hours for your money and not stressful. Old, but an enhanced edition was released fairly recently, as was Siege of Dragonspear. (A new game that takes place between the first and second game. I personally haven't played yet.)

My girlfriend and I semi-recently started playing through enhanced edition, and for reference our 1 run of BG1 logged 101 hours, and our BG2 run isn't complete at 125 hours. It largely depends on how many sidequests and things you like doing too though, and it always feels like you are making some progress. Our 101 hour run of BG 1 was without doing any character specific sidequests. (Of which there are a lot) But doing everything else.
    Man. This sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe someday...
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ