New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: A Question of Great Importance

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, that was in MA IIRC. Panera sued the mall over a Qdoba.
    Yup, it was in Mass. that's my corner of the globe.

And as I recall, the Earl of Sandwich thing, IIRC he was an avid card player, and at the time it was common practice to wrap meat around bread and eat it with your hands for some reason, which he didn't like because it got the cards greasy. He asked his chef for a solution, and the sandwich was born. Or at least that's the version I heard in the days before mainstream internet ( by which I mean the 1980's).

And the obvious addition to this thread of semantics: a hot dog is a sausage. Stick a sausage in a bun and it's a sandwich. The shape of the bread being a canoe instead of 2 separate slices does not make it not a sandwich.

Never thought about the calzone/dumpling thing before.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenWarCorgi View Post
    And the obvious addition to this thread of semantics: a hot dog is a sausage.
    Well that might be true in the USA, but it is not true in the UK - for us a sausage is a sausage, even if it is a frankfurter (which can be called "hot dog sausages"). It does not become a "hot dog" until it is stuck in a roll - and at that point the type of sausage does not matter, a sausage in a roll is a "hot dog".

Just to confuse: it does not matter if you cut the roll all the way through (to give two pieces of bread) or not - it remains a "hot dog"; however if you put the sausage bewteen two slices of bread is becomes a "sausage sandwich" not a "hot dog"... this suggests that the crust on the bread roll is also a factor.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-04-03 at 02:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

And the obvious addition to this thread of semantics: a hot dog is a sausage. Stick a sausage in a bun and it's a sandwich. The shape of the bread being a canoe instead of 2 separate slices does not make it not a sandwich.
    Well yes and no. You can call the sausage a hot dog and call the entire thing a hot dog and be correct both times. So even further semantics on top of your semantics.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Well that might be true in the USA, but it is not true in the UK - for us a sausage is a sausage, even if it is a frankfurter (which can be called "hot dog sausages"). It does not become a "hot dog" until it is stuck in a roll - and at that point the type of sausage does not matter, a sausage in a roll is a "hot dog".
    Wait, I thought that was a "sausage roll"?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    A sausage roll is different in that it is encased in dough. A sausage sandwich is just a sandwich with a sausage link.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    A sausage roll is different in that it is encased in dough. A sausage sandwich is just a sandwich with a sausage link.
    Or to be more specific, a "sausage roll" is sausagemeat encased in pastry. It is very rarely a sausage (no skin) - as I cannot remember if I have ever seen a sausage roll made with an actual sausage.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Or to be more specific, a "sausage roll" is sausagemeat encased in pastry. It is very rarely a sausage (no skin) - as I cannot remember if I have ever seen a sausage roll made with an actual sausage.
    Pastry starts as dough. To be pedantic on top of pedantic on top of pedantic.

Also, how is a sausage with a skin less of a sausage than one without? They're both sausage. They do make those as well of course, but I'm just staggered by calling a sausage in a casing not an actual sausage. Because it is.

8. - Top - End - #68

A roll with a sausage in it is not a sausage roll. The world we live in.

Still relieved that sausage rolls are still a (albeit specific) thing and my "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls" t-shirt does not make me look like a fool.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Just to confuse: it does not matter if you cut the roll all the way through (to give two pieces of bread) or not - it remains a "hot dog"; however if you put the sausage bewteen two slices of bread is becomes a "sausage sandwich" not a "hot dog"... this suggests that the crust on the bread roll is also a factor.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #70

DruidGuy

Still relieved that sausage rolls are still a (albeit specific) thing and my "Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls" t-shirt does not make me look like a fool.
    Jealous of that shirt without even seeing it, lol

And to clarify my previous statement.

A hot dog is a sausage, but not all sausages are hot dogs. Hell, not even everything that could be called a hot dog is called a hot dog; dunno how many varieties in other parts of the world, but around here we have hot dogs, frankfurters, saugy's, weiners, and the infamous Red Snapper

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Jealous of that shirt without even seeing it, lol

And to clarify my previous statement.

A hot dog is a sausage, but not all sausages are hot dogs. Hell, not even everything that could be called a hot dog is called a hot dog; dunno how many varieties in other parts of the world, but around here we have hot dogs, frankfurters, saugy's, weiners, and the infamous Red Snapper
    There's probably an argument somewhere about whether DC's "half-smokes" are hot dogs or not. Different kind of sausage than a standard hot dog, but same general shape and served in a bun.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Pastry starts as dough. To be pedantic on top of pedantic on top of pedantic.

Also, how is a sausage with a skin less of a sausage than one without? They're both sausage. They do make those as well of course, but I'm just staggered by calling a sausage in a casing not an actual sausage. Because it is.
    To be pedantic - as I said I was being specific - as bread also starts with dough and does not count as a hot dog - hence refining your dough (which I did not say was wrong) to form patry not some of the other alternatives.

And now to confuse me, some shops now sell "potato-dogs" which are basically frankfurters in a rosti coating. No - I don't count them as sausage rolls.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-04-05 at 03:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

To be pedantic - as I said I was being specific - as bread also starts with dough and does not count as a hot dog - hence refining your dough (which I did not say was wrong) to form patry not some of the other alternatives.

And now to confuse me, some shops now sell "potato-dogs" which are basically frankfurters in a rosti coating. No - I don't count them as sausage rolls.
    Ah, but are they a form of burrito?

14. - Top - End - #74

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Ah, but are they a form of burrito?

Just as similar to a burrito as it is to a calzone.

We've got a chain here that does a pretzel wrapped dog. Def Go to for mid mall snacking.

15. - Top - End - #75

There is an irony to bad questions, in that they can be more difficult to answer than a good question. Questioning is the art of learning. Learning to ask important questions is the best evidence of understanding there is, far surpassing the temporary endorphins of a correct “answer.”

16. - Top - End - #76

Also, eggs on toast could be argued as an open-faced sandwich.
    So, is pizza an open-faced sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    The WORD sandwich is *NAMED* for that one dude, probably, but the concept of what a sandwich *IS* is much older. People've been scooping stuff onto bread and eating it one-handed for a hecka-long time, I think.
    Roman soldiers eat their gazpacho by scooping it up with their bread. Is that a sandwich? BTW, their gazpacho was made of olive oil, garlic, and whatever vegetables were available locally. It was not Spanish gazpacho that modern people think of when they say gazpacho.

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    Personally I think breadING is similar but separate from bread, so no.
    Is battered fish a sandwich?

###

And the most important question: is an ice-cream cone a sandwich?
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    So, is pizza an open-faced sandwich?
    If you don't fold it before you eat it, yes. If you do, then no, it's just a regular sandwich.

Roman soldiers eat their gazpacho by scooping it up with their bread. Is that a sandwich? BTW, their gazpacho was made of olive oil, garlic, and whatever vegetables were available locally. It was not Spanish gazpacho that modern people think of when they say gazpacho.
    Given that the modern gazpacho involves an American fruit, that's not surprising. That said, what you've described sounds like gazpacho to me.

Is battered fish a sandwich?
    Might be. Again, are you in a US state where you're only allowed to sell beer if you also sell sandwiches? Because at that point, it was successfully argued that battered chicken is a sandwich, so it'd apply to fish too.

And the most important question: is an ice-cream cone a sandwich?
    Yes.
    I'm not longer sure how tongue-in-cheek I'm being
    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-22 at 09:58 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Might be. Again, are you in a US state where you're only allowed to sell beer if you also sell sandwiches? Because at that point, it was successfully argued that battered chicken is a sandwich, so it'd apply to fish too.
    No, not is any US state. Restaurants can get a licence from the LCBO, so I take it to mean yes.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

19. - Top - End - #79

PaladinGuy

I've seen 'homemade' style ones that are made with sausage (and often they most closely resemble toad in the hole).
    I'm guessing as the intestine is 'traditional' and puff-pasty newish?, that they might have some claim to be more original (otherwise it would be umble-roll or something).
    But until it matters I'm treating them as not-real sausage rolls.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jayem View Post
    I've seen 'homemade' style ones that are made with sausage (and often they most closely resemble toad in the hole)
    I cannot for the life of me imagine how anything with sausage would resemble toad in the hole?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/toad-in-the-hole/

Spoiler: Spoilered due to size
    Show

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-22 at 10:43 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

21. - Top - End - #81

PaladinGuy

I cannot for the life of me imagine how anything with sausage would resemble toad in the hole?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/toad-in-the-hole/

Spoiler: Spoilered due to size
    Show

Grey Wolf
    Pic of what I meant here, (that I think has that 'toad in the hole' as 'egg in basket', but the fact it has that link shows it's ambiguous)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_in_the_hole

22. - Top - End - #82

You got a reference to that court case? I'm interested to see how they argued that.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

You got a reference to that court case? I'm interested to see how they argued that.
    As I said in my first post, it was mentioned in Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me. I don't remember which episode, though. I'd have to google for it. Possibly it's in one of those perennial "weird laws of states" lists.

ETA: also, not sure it was a court battle. Something in the back of my mind says it was an argument directly to the legislature?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-22 at 11:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

As I said in my first post, it was mentioned in Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me. I don't remember which episode, though. I'd have to google for it. Possibly it's in one of those perennial "weird laws of states" lists.

ETA: also, not sure it was a court battle. Something in the back of my mind says it was an argument directly to the legislature?

Grey Wolf
    Makes sense it'd be initiated as a law and unchallenged, because I can't see a hope of it holding up in a court. Can't find anything myself on Google except for very tangentially related things, and I'm not a big fan of WWDTM so I'd never have heard it otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Makes sense it'd be initiated as a law and unchallenged, because I can't see a hope of it holding up in a court. Can't find anything myself on Google except for very tangentially related things, and I'm not a big fan of WWDTM so I'd never have heard it otherwise.
    I don't know if it's a strict law forbidding it, as such, but I believe at least here in Indiana it's much easier to get development/zoning permission to be a restaurant with a liquor license than to be an establishment that only serves alcohol. One of our regional breweries has several taprooms where they offer nominal food because of this (IIRC you can buy a Hot Pocket or like some instant mac and cheese. They also have menus and delivery agreements for all the restaurants near them, and strongly recommend that you order from one of those locations if you want a meal to go with your beer.)

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I don't know if it's a strict law forbidding it, as such, but I believe at least here in Indiana it's much easier to get development/zoning permission to be a restaurant with a liquor license than to be an establishment that only serves alcohol. One of our regional breweries has several taprooms where they offer nominal food because of this (IIRC you can buy a Hot Pocket or like some instant mac and cheese. They also have menus and delivery agreements for all the restaurants near them, and strongly recommend that you order from one of those locations if you want a meal to go with your beer.)
    I'm talking about battered chicken being a sandwich as the law sees.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I'm talking about battered chicken being a sandwich as the law sees.
    A bit of light googling suggests it might be Indiana:

"5. Permit premises where alcoholic beverages are consumed by the "drink" are required to have food service available, at all times, for at least 25 persons. Minimum food service required consists of hot soups, hot sandwiches, coffee, milk, and soft drinks (see attached rule). (IC 7.1-3-20-9 & 905 IAC 1-20-1)"

From what I remember, the owners of fried chicken diners would have argued to the alcohol commission that their fried chicken was in effect a sandwich, as a way to be allowed to sell beer with it. I'm guessing that, if it did indeed happen, the legislature found it easier to agree than to amend the law to include "and fried items" to the list of stuff above (I did my best to find "the attached rule" but was not tremendously lucky).

Unfortunately, I have not found a reference to the actual fried chicken event or any record thereof, so it might be an urban legend.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

(I did my best to find "the attached rule" but was not tremendously lucky).

Unfortunately, I have not found a reference to the actual fried chicken event or any record thereof, so it might be an urban legend.

Grey Wolf
    I found the rule, it's part of the bylaws and rulings of the Indiana Alcohol Commission. It's pretty much completely summarized in the statement you quoted, just less formal legal language. I would speculate that the fried chicken argument may have gone something like 1: Open-faced sandwiches are recognized as sandwiches by law. 2: An open-faced sandwich is constructed by placing an item on top of a piece of bread. 3: We sell items (chicken breasts, chicken tenders, deboned thighs?) that can be placed on top of a piece of bread and consumed in the style of an open-faced sandwich. 4: Said items are provided with bread or biscuits as a side item, and we serve them on top of the piece of bread. 5: Therefore we sell open-faced sandwiches, as defined by law, and can we have a our dang beer permit already.

(Or they just sold chicken biscuits already, which are inarguably a kind of sandwich. Honestly I think carrying some kind of soup may be more of a hassle for meeting that requirement if your thing is 'we sell fried chicken and only fried chicken.')
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2019-04-22 at 01:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Honestly I think carrying some kind of soup may be more of a hassle for meeting that requirement if your thing is 'we sell fried chicken and only fried chicken.'
    Nah, that's just some chicken in hot water. The law doesn't require it to be good soup. Or for anyone to actually buy it. It just needs to be in the menu

(Thanks for confirming this, in any case. Very much appreciated)

Grey Wolf