New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planewalking – a guide for bending time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Chalhubard View Post
    Thank you very much, sir! All brilliant suggestions, thanks for them. Mind if I link the handbook to your Touchstone compilation?
    Actually, I think I'd prefer if you cut-n-pasted them into one of your feat sections. Easier to find them if they are in a handbook, rather than floating around in a random thread.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gotcha. Transcribed that post under "Touchstones", in VII. Recommended portal planar destinations.

Now, how would the playground rate the utility of listing older edition planar spots? I was going through The Planes of Law boxed set, for my next round at the DM's seat, and stumbled across plenty of interesting venues, say, for instance, Acheron's realm of Nishrek, where orcs automatically succeed in every saving throw and all spells used against them always have the minimum possible damage and duration.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Singer of Concordance PrC 10th-level CF:
    Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon
    Sphere of Concordance (Sp): At 10th level, you perfect your unison with the great Song. You gain the ability to transport you and up to eight willing companions to and from a particular Sphere of Concordance at will. This effect is considered a 7th-level spell effect.
    SPHERES OF CONCORDANCE
    The great dragon deity Io created these retreats among the planes so that his children could find rest, with the Singers of Concordance as their guides.
    When a character enters the Singer of Concordance class and chooses a Sphere of Concordance from which to draw off aspects, that Sphere becomes linked to him. Other entrants into the class thereafter choose other spheres.
    A Sphere of Concordance is a demiplane, roughly 500 feet across, with the following traits.
    • Normal gravity.
    • Minor positive-dominant.
    • Divinely morphic. Io or his emissaries can prevent the entrance of nondraconic creatures, or expel any creatures that commit violence within the demiplane.
    • Mildly neutral-aligned.
    • Enhanced Magic. Spells and spell-like abilities that use positive energy, including cure spells, and spells from the Community*, Creation*, Healing, and Protection domains, are empowered (as if the Empower Spell feat had been applied to them, but the spells don't require higher-level slots). Spells and spell-like abilities that are already empowered are unaffected by this benefit.
    *Domains described in Complete Divine, pages 137-138.
    • Impeded Magic. Spells and spell-like abilities that use negative energy, including inflict spells, and spells from the Death, Destruction, and Madness* domains are impeded.
    *Domain described in Complete Divine, page 139.
    • Creatures within a Sphere of Concordance are always subject to the aspects of peace, refuge, healing, exclusion, and safety, as defined and described in the Singer of Concordance prestige class entry.
    The environment within a Sphere of Concordance is pleasant, with mild temperatures and a normal atmosphere. The sphere is filled with beautiful images, precious works of art, glittering gold, and shining gems for the enjoyment and appreciation of its draconic sojourners. Because the demiplane is positive-dominant, the colors, scents, and other sensations provoked by these features are greatly heightened. However, they are bonded with the demiplane: Any attempt to remove riches from this place causes the material to revert to the raw essence of creation, vanishing instantly. (The essence returns to the demiplane and is then reshaped.)
    Being a demiplane, a Sphere of Concordance is not easily accessible with plane shift or other means of planar travel. Attempts to reach a sphere without guidance or prior knowledge (or the Singer of Concordance 10th-level class feature) result in the traveler arriving on a random Outer Plane. Creatures that enter a Sphere of Concordance that is already linked to another Singer of Concordance are considered undesignated (unless they have been previously designated by the other Singer), and thus are adversely affected by the sphere's aspect of safety.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Gotcha. Transcribed that post under "Touchstones", in VII. Recommended portal planar destinations.

Now, how would the playground rate the utility of listing older edition planar spots? I was going through The Planes of Law boxed set, for my next round at the DM's seat, and stumbled across plenty of interesting venues, say, for instance, Acheron's realm of Nishrek, where orcs automatically succeed in every saving throw and all spells used against them always have the minimum possible damage and duration.
    Most people who like the planes have a tendency to also favour planescape, and most of planescape lore originated in 2nd ed. So it's probably useful. However, use some kind of signifier to make it clear that it's from AD&D.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

5. - Top - End - #65

OldWizardGuy

Updated with latest suggestions and finds.

Also, how often would one say Planeshifters (Manual of the Planes) can use their Planar Area Swap ability?

Spoiler
    Show
    Planar Area Swap (Sp): At 9th level, a planeshifter gains the ability to move sections of the landscape from one plane to another. A spherical area of up to a 100-foot radius per planeshifter level, centered on the planeshifter, may be so moved. Any unwilling individuals within the sphere can make a Will saving throw (DC 20) to negate the swap completely.

As with the plane shift spell, fine control of the destination is impossible.

When the fragment is brought onto the new plane, the traits of the new plane apply themselves within 1d4 rounds. A part of the Elemental Plane of Fire brought onto the Material Plane burns briefly (1d4 rounds), for example, then dissipates.

Because it's a swap, an equal area of the destination plane appears in the plane of origination. The plane of origination applies its planar traits to the new area in 1d4 rounds.

The swapped areas switch back in a number of days equal to 10 + planeshifter level.

I have looked through both MoP's errata and 3.5 update booklet and nowhere does it seem to restrict the number of uses per day. As per the SRD: "A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A spell-like ability that can be used at will has no use limit". So... at will?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Updated with latest suggestions and finds.

Also, how often would one say Planeshifters (Manual of the Planes) can use their Planar Area Swap ability?

Spoiler
    Show
    Planar Area Swap (Sp): At 9th level, a planeshifter gains the ability to move sections of the landscape from one plane to another. A spherical area of up to a 100-foot radius per planeshifter level, centered on the planeshifter, may be so moved. Any unwilling individuals within the sphere can make a Will saving throw (DC 20) to negate the swap completely.

As with the plane shift spell, fine control of the destination is impossible.

When the fragment is brought onto the new plane, the traits of the new plane apply themselves within 1d4 rounds. A part of the Elemental Plane of Fire brought onto the Material Plane burns briefly (1d4 rounds), for example, then dissipates.

Because it's a swap, an equal area of the destination plane appears in the plane of origination. The plane of origination applies its planar traits to the new area in 1d4 rounds.

The swapped areas switch back in a number of days equal to 10 + planeshifter level.

I have looked through both MoP's errata and 3.5 update booklet and nowhere does it seem to restrict the number of uses per day. As per the SRD: "A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A spell-like ability that can be used at will has no use limit". So... at will?
    Given that it has no use limit, that looks to be the RAW answer.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't say it is at will so I think it's broken and would need a houserule.

I never noticed that you don't go with the area you swap - you just grab a random chunk of your desired plane and bring it to you. If you're aware of an area of a plane with a particular effect that is large enough that the targeting rules won't make you miss, you can bring those effects.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2019-04-09 at 01:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

OldWizardGuy

Yes, the only downside seems to be the Will save to negate the swap. Other than that, it is a dead brilliant ability, as you can cherry pick planar traits and have them affect a huge area, even if it is for 1d4 rounds - either a huge nuke or a really interesting buff, if you pick, say Spirit World (MotP) or Dweomerheart (PGtF).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the only downside seems to be the Will save to negate the swap. Other than that, it is a dead brilliant ability, as you can cherry pick planar traits and have them affect a huge area, even if it is for 1d4 rounds - either a huge nuke or a really interesting buff, if you pick, say Spirit World (MotP) or Dweomerheart (PGtF).
    Yeah, there's no limitation on it. I used this prestige class in a Villainous Competition a while back; Illumian Wizard6/Geometer4/Planeshifter10, Illumian Sigils: Krau, Naen. (Came in a close second in the competition).

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

I also wonder if you could use the ability high in the sky - where there are no creatures to interrupt it with a save - and the conjured material would then just drop?

Like, you're a mile up and conjure a 1000-foot sphere of Elemental Earth?

11. - Top - End - #71

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Yeah, there's no limitation on it. I used this prestige class in a Villainous Competition a while back; Illumian Wizard6/Geometer4/Planeshifter10, Illumian Sigils: Krau, Naen. (Came in a close second in the competition).
    Loved the concept! As a side note, Geometer might actually be an interesting prestige class - level 5 lets you add Greater Glyph of Warding to your spellbook. Guess you could have a few Spell Glyphs containing Precipitate Breach to use as grenades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    I also wonder if you could use the ability high in the sky - where there are no creatures to interrupt it with a save - and the conjured material would then just drop?

Like, you're a mile up and conjure a 1000-foot sphere of Elemental Earth?
    Or put out forest fires, create a cascade of lava, or whatever. Do note that the ability states that you can swap "A spherical area of up to a 100-foot radius per planeshifter level". Which means you could simply put some distance between you(r party) and your foes and swap an area sans the risk of the Will save nullifying the whole thing - then you just bait people in, or use it to get some severe or complete breaches, since you can select the planar destination in the first place.
    Last edited by Chalhubard; 2019-04-09 at 10:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Another creature that can transport characters across planes: the White Hart from Dragon 343. They're white deer types who appear in forests and, if elves or fey are in the forest at the time, can each transport two medium creatures to and from Arboria, Ysgard, and the Beastlands.

One thing mostly but not 100% from Planescape that I like is portal creep. In 3.5, some portals leak conditions from one end to the other. But in planescape, changing the nature of the destination could cause the land itself to slide through! Gate towns on the Outlands did this from time to time based on what the populations of the towns on either side of the planar connection were doing. Entire planes could slip around as well... I believe it happened to part of Mechanus?

Also, the Demonweb Pits showed that Lloth had stolen entire worlds and whisked them away to the Abyss somehow.

Not sure which edition at this point, but Grazz't also was shown to have a goal of stealing an entire plane of existence.

13. - Top - End - #73

OldWizardGuy

Nice find. They're pretty much like the Ur'Epona.

So, I'm a big proponent of Precipitate Breach, and, as such, I'm trying to find ways to expedite its casting-time. 10 minutes is quite impractical during combat. That's what I have so far; any other suggestions?

Casting-time reducers

Spoiler: Feats
    Show

Alacritous Cogitation (CM)
    Uncanny Forethought (EE)
    Inscribe Rune (PGtF)
    Earthbound Spell (PHB II)

Spoiler: Spell-like ability + supernatural Transformation
    Show

Archmage (DMG)
    Runesmith (RoS)
    Innate Spell (PGtF)
    Spellstiched Creature (LM)

Spoiler: Classes
    Show
    Anima Mage (ToM)
    Dweomerkeeper (CD WE)
    Ordained Champion (CC)
    Candle Caster (T&B)
    Arcane Archer (DMG)

Spoiler: Items
    Show
    Chardalyn (Silver Marches WE)
    Glyph Seal (MIC)
    Greater Glyph Seal (MIC)

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Shalantha's Delicate Disk (LEoF)
    Spell Glyph (PHB)
    Greater Spell Glyph (PHB)
    Contingency (PHB) & family
    Last edited by Chalhubard; 2019-04-10 at 05:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

You might want to include the Cerebrosis Feat from Dragon 330, and the Cerebrotic Spells it opens up.

edit. (assuming you haven't already done so somewhere)
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2019-04-11 at 04:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, can Alacritous Cogitation reduce the casting time needed? I didn't know that was a thing.

<reads>

any arcane spell you know... casting it requires a full round action... huh. go figure. Turns out that I was looking for a way to reduce the casting time of some spells and I literally had picked a feat that lets me do that at first level or so, hah, I'd been using it as a 1/day uncanny forethought.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-04-11 at 04:53 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Dweomerkeeper does not work? Because the standard action casting time for Supernatural Spell is a constraint, not a change.

17. - Top - End - #77

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    You might want to include the Cerebrosis Feat from Dragon 330, and the Cerebrotic Spells it opens up.

edit. (assuming you haven't already done so somewhere)
    That is one of the best renditions of the Far Plane Dragon Magazine had over the years. For the specific purposes of this handbook, however, the spells wont be any good - the flavour is right on the spot, but the mechanics... I guess I should mention it, however, for the sake of completeness. I had fun rereading that article, very nice find, and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Wait, can Alacritous Cogitation reduce the casting time needed? I didn't know that was a thing.

<reads>

any arcane spell you know... casting it requires a full round action... huh. go figure. Turns out that I was looking for a way to reduce the casting time of some spells and I literally had picked a feat that lets me do that at first level or so, hah, I'd been using it as a 1/day uncanny forethought.
    Brilliant feat right there. Too bad the 1/day cap hurts it a lot, but still a nice trick to have if you are really intense with the whole spontaneous wizard thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Dweomerkeeper does not work? Because the standard action casting time for Supernatural Spell is a constraint, not a change.
    Now, c'mon, I cannot believe you are right. Overlooked that clause for almost two decades. My day is ruined
    Last edited by Chalhubard; 2019-04-11 at 08:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghosts exist on the Ethereal Plane, and can manifest as incorporeal undead on the Prime Material Plane.

Ghostwalk ghosts also exist on the Ethereal Plane, but can manifest physically with feats or magic items (or in the city of Manifest).

Ghost Elves (Dragon 313) (living elves, not actually ghosts) exist primarily on the Ethereal Plane too, but they gain SLAs based on their level. At 6th they get 'blink', 14th 'ethereal jaunt', and at 18th they get 'ethereal shift', which lets them (and their equipment) shift between the Ethereal and any other plane once per day.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

I had to look up Ghost Elves. They're fun. The +1 LA kind of ruins it though...

20. - Top - End - #80

OldWizardGuy

Sweet suffering ****! Ghost elves get -4 Con. Really nice concept, but, boy would I stay away from those

OTOH, just found another fast-casting tool:

Spoiler
    Show
    Focal Stone
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Target: One clear or translucent gemstone up to 1 inch in diameter (see text)
    Duration: Permanent until discharged
    Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

You transform the target gem so it is capable of storing magic in the manner of an attuned gem (see the Attune Gem feat in Magic of Faerϋn). On your next turn, you or another spellcaster can cast a spell into the gem, transforming it into an attuned gem (as if it had been crafted with the Attune Gem feat). The gem and spell must meet all the criteria of the Attune Gem feat and gem magic. The person casting the spell to be stored must spend XP as if a potion were being created with the Attune Gem feat.

Unlike the Attune Gem feat, using this spell causes the gem to glow with a soft internal radiance (insufficient to light an area but enough to notice the gem in a shadowy or dark room). Also, the only way to release the stored spell is to shatter the gem (a standard action). A successful dispel magic against your caster level causes this spell and the stored spell to dissipate harmlessly.

Material Component: A pinch of any sort of opal dust.

Spell can be found right here.
    Last edited by Chalhubard; 2019-04-16 at 05:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

OK, this is an absolutely fascinating handbook that leaves me... completely baffled. There's a lot of interesting stuff here and a lot of stuff that makes me feel like I'm completely and utterly missing the point. I'm actually working on a plane-hopping build now, so I keep coming back to it, but I have some questions.

1. Melodic Casting. Multiple times throughout this handbook you seem to imply that Melodic Casting means you can cast a spell and add on a bardic music rider effect (for example, cast a spell + add on Doomspeak or the Divine Prankster's enrage effect). Where are you getting this from? All Melodic Casting allows you to do is sub concentration for perform, and cast spells or activate command word/spell completion items while you're maintaining a bardic music effect. It's still a handy feat, especially for a planar bard that wants to maintain its portal dissonance, since it means you don't have to stop singing every time you cast a spell. But it definitely does not do what it seems like you're implying it does.

2. Speaking of, portal dissonance. The handbook makes much of this ability, calls it the inspiration for the whole handbook, etc. But........ nowhere in this handbook do you actually spell out how you're using it. Yes, you can redirect the destination of portals and breaches. That's pretty neat, and can lead to some cheap travel options, but like, what are you actually doing with this that makes it so powerful? It explicitly only effects destination and not the leaking of traits, so you couldn't, for example, create a random planar breach and then use this to redirect the breach to a plane with more interesting traits to leak through the breach. And the destination needs to be a portal that you personally have traveled through in the past 30 days. You could use it offensively, perhaps: something like cast shadow well, then change the destination to a portal you previously traveled through that leads to the Eternal Plane of Papercuts and Dreams Where Your Teeth Fall Out or whatever. But that takes multiple turns of setup, requires that you have an active portal through which to redirect them, still requires a save, etc. Seems like a lot of work when you could just walk up to them and cast plane shift for the same overall effect. Similarly, there seems to be some potential for using it for extreme infiltration... but that whole limitation where the new destination must be a portal that you've previously traveled through in the past 30 days rears its head once again. Basically, most of the interesting things I could see doing with the spell feel like they require multiple turns of setup and multiple spells just to end up duplicating spells like plane shift that already exist.

The rest of the handbook is great and I love the planar fluff and planewalking characters in general. But I think I'd like to see some specific explanations on HOW you're using things like portal dissonance, because I don't know if I'm obtuse or what, but I'm just not actually seeing it.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Normal Time
    This trait describes the way time passes on the Material Plane. One hour on a plane with normal time equals one hour on the Material Plane. Unless otherwise noted in a description, every plane has the normal time trait.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG148
    Normal Time: This trait describes the way time passes on the Material Plane. One hour on a plane with normal time equals one hour on the Material Plane. Unless otherwise noted in a description, every plane in the D&D cosmology has the normal time trait.
    Genesis (Sor/Wiz 9, Creation 9) ELH - If understood to be able to manipulate time and magic traits, well, welcome to Tippy's! You could also get creative and roll an interesting prison plane for offensive uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ELH117
    You determine the environment within the demiplane when you first cast genesis, reflecting most any desire you can visualize. You determine factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain.
    "environment" doesn't mean all physical traits such as gravity, time, size of the planar border, & morphic traits. The size is limited by the spell and after the first casting the plane is alterable morphic for example. And by "RAW" the description never says anything about time and "environment" is already defined else where as well.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this thread still active?

Anyway - Fiendwurm (Monster Manual II): have portal to Abyss in its gizzard; when Fiendwurm killed (without deactivating the portal), everybody within 5' should make Reflex save, or would be sucked into the Abyss