New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joker

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Joker

So I see a teaser trailer or.... concept.. ? Is out. What does everyone think of it? If there is a thread about it, ignore this. I couldn't find one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Joker

What !
    (Does a quick Google check) Huh ?
    (Double checks it's not April the 1st already) HUH ?
    So yeah, this sounds a terrible idea. The Joker isn't just a crook the Joker is a monster. As a villain he works but as someone the whole film is based around, as someone we're going to spend most of the films time with, this sounds a really bad idea.
    Not helped by the fact that the Director has mainly done unfunny comedies (Full disclosure I do find most modern comedy films unfunny)
    Only good thing I can see is Joaquin Phoenix could do an interesting Joker. 'You were never really here' shows he can do dangerously unbalanced very well
    But hey it wouldn't be the first time an idea I thought sounded terrible turned out to be a good film but I'm not holding my breath
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2019-03-09 at 12:13 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3

The Joker graphic novel did a pretty good job of letting him be the main focus without losing sight of the fact that he's a remorseless psychopath, so it CAN be done well. Whether or not it WILL be is a whole other matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    The Joker graphic novel did a pretty good job of letting him be the main focus without losing sight of the fact that he's a remorseless psychopath, so it CAN be done well. Whether or not it WILL be is a whole other matter.
    The Joker worked because we were in the eyes of a mobster drawn to the Joker's charisma, and it peeled through the layers of Joker's monstrocity. First making him seem like a normal thuggish crime lord, then we see him ruthlessly killing those that betrayed him, then by the time Joker has gone full psycho where he murders innocents just to sleep on their corpses the main character is in too deep.

This looks, eh. Honestly, Joaquin Phoenix portraying a psychopathic mobster looks pretty good. But it seems about as Joker as Suicide Squads. But hey, I'll watch an interesting movie even if it isn't source accurate. And I'm not getting the horrified warning bells I got with Leto, which didn't just look inaccurate it looked bad.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker worked because we were in the eyes of a mobster drawn to the Joker's charisma, and it peeled through the layers of Joker's monstrocity. First making him seem like a normal thuggish crime lord, then we see him ruthlessly killing those that betrayed him, then by the time Joker has gone full psycho where he murders innocents just to sleep on their corpses the main character is in too deep.

This looks, eh. Honestly, Joaquin Phoenix portraying a psychopathic mobster looks pretty good. But it seems about as Joker as Suicide Squads. But hey, I'll watch an interesting movie even if it isn't source accurate. And I'm not getting the horrified warning bells I got with Leto, which didn't just look inaccurate it looked bad.
    True, but film is generally a less intimate medium than comics so I feel like you could get by without that extra layer of disassociation if it's done right.

I'm not especially excited for this movie so far, but I AM intrigued, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until something too awful silly pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #6

Daemon

Can someone provide a link? all i find on gogle is some fan made stuff.
    Also - wasn't this movie dropped off schedule in january?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    Not this one, still scheduled for October.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

The Joaquin Phoenix one is still going, it's the Jared Leto one that got binned. (DC rather overegged the pudding with Joker movies)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71k-mCPT14g

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The Joaquin Phoenix one is still going, it's the Jared Leto one that got binned. (DC rather overegged the pudding with Joker movies)
    First off, I'm really sorry. Really, really sorry. But you egged me on.
    Is it all white to scramble all but one Yolker? It's a shell of a thing to see Leto's hard boiled portrayal fall through the cracks. It could have been eggcellent. It could have been his magnus ovum. I'd be crowing about it, but I'm a bit of a wet hen about this kind of thing so at least it'll be over easy.

But, yeah... the Joker could work in a main character role not unlike Walter White from Breaking Bad, especially if you assume the Red Hood origin. Start him off sympathetic and entertaining, then slowly turn up the heat until you find yourself disturbed to realize you're rooting for a genuine monster who manages to be too fun to watch for you to turn away in disgust. It'd me more tricky to do in the timeframe of a movie, but it could work.

I won't be placing any bets on it, though.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Just from that clip, he's already better than Leto's Juggaloker.

But let's assume it does well. What then? Presumably we stick him opposite some other poor unfortunate soul in a batsuit to get punched, and I think Batman could use a cinematic break.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I still say my idea could work. The basic gist is, we play with the jokers 4th wall knowledge. Not deadpool style where he looks at the camera and talks to us, but he understands that narrative convention is a thing, he recognizes the three act style of his film, and it drives him crazy as he is trying to find a way to circumvent it so he can WIN. The point being, he only looks crazy to his goons and everyone else in setting, WE know he is aware he is a movie character. Or perhaps more of a "Of course he is crazy, that doesnt make him WRONG though"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13

GnomePirate

I'm fairly certain that trailer (the one linked above, which was "trending" on YouTube) is a fan made trailer. It has pieces of other movies in it, and concept clips released in 2018.

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

Yeah, it is a fab made trailer. I was asking because before this I had doubts on the look of him as the joker as well as the ... weird make up choice. After this though I have better hopes.

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

My hope for the makeup is that he starts off in the cleaner looking clown makeup and it degenerates into the more classic blank white face Joker as the film goes on.

16. - Top - End - #16

I could see this working as the slow and depressing slide of a decent but unhappy and desperate man into madness and villainy.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh, it's a fanmade trailer? I must say, I completely bought it as a sligthly weird trailer for a movie version of Joker's origin story in The Killing Joke. Should have guessed that a real trailer would have more crazy laughing.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I could see this working as the slow and depressing slide of a decent but unhappy and desperate man into madness and villainy.
    Which is more or less what it should be, if this needs to exist at all. Joker's main message/conceit is that he's not that special, that anybody/everybody has the requisite capacity for depravity/remorselessness to become him.

All it takes... is a really bad day. (Which are more likely to happen in an uncaring society.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Which is more or less what it should be, if this needs to exist at all. Joker's main message/conceit is that he's not that special, that anybody/everybody has the requisite capacity for depravity/remorselessness to become him.

All it takes... is a really bad day. (Which are more likely to happen in an uncaring society.)
    But the comic that "all it takes is one bad day" came from (The Killing Joke) clearly established that that wasn't true. He attempted to prove it by giving Gordon that one bad day, and Gordon came through it traumatized but still a good man. Even Barbara came through it traumatized but still a good person who continued to make a difference. And the scenes from him before he transformed did not make me think for a second that he was a stable person before the bad day.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
    But the comic that "all it takes is one bad day" came from (The Killing Joke) clearly established that that wasn't true. He attempted to prove it by giving Gordon that one bad day, and Gordon came through it traumatized but still a good man. Even Barbara came through it traumatized but still a good person who continued to make a difference. And the scenes from him before he transformed did not make me think for a second that he was a stable person before the bad day.
    I always took it as it wasnt so much attempting to prove his theory as trying to justify his own behavior. "See? I cant be blamed for this! ANYONE would turn into a monster like me if they suffered! I had no choice or control in the matter! Im a victim! Not a criminal!"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #21

New trailer is here.

Well, that makes me rather optimistic about that movie.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oh, it's a fanmade trailer? I must say, I completely bought it as a sligthly weird trailer for a movie version of Joker's origin story in The Killing Joke.
    Yeah, me too.
    A really good trailer, i must say.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Yeah, me too.
    A really good trailer, i must say.
    Yes I want to see the movie!

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    New trailer is here.

Well, that makes me rather optimistic about that movie.

Holly cow, it's good!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Okay my hopes are up.
    Is this supposed to be in continuity with the DCEU? Are we ignoring Leto’s Joker from now on?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I always took it as it wasnt so much attempting to prove his theory as trying to justify his own behavior. "See? I cant be blamed for this! ANYONE would turn into a monster like me if they suffered! I had no choice or control in the matter! Im a victim! Not a criminal!"
    Yep, Batman says as much:
    Joker tried to prove everybody was as ugly as he is deep down by targeting the most incorruptible person in Gotham but he’s wrong. Which is why I don’t like the interpretation that the last panel means Batman strangled him. I prefer to see it as a copy of the first panel, signifying that they are trapped in a reoccurring cycle.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

OK put me in the camp of, "Thought this was a TERRIBLE idea until they saw the full trailer, and now definitely plan to see".

I dunno about the movie, but Joaquin Pheonix KILLED it in that trailer. That was one of the best trailers I've seen this year.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

27. - Top - End - #27

I dont approve. The Joker isnt supposed to have an origin story. The only way this could possibly work is if its like, three movies in one. Three different origins, no way to tell for sure which is real, or indeed, if any of them are. Its one of his defining characteristics that his past is a mystery. Not even batman is able to figure out for sure who he is or where he came from or how he became the joker. I would REALLY like it if we had three different short origins here. Very different ones. Go with the keaten verse style joker, this version, then something else. Make this version the last story and after each one we see he is telling this to another psychologist, after this one we see this is the joker talking to dr quinzel, its the start of his seduction/mind games with her. A great way to tie him into the soon to be rebooted suicide squad universe.

28. - Top - End - #28

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay my hopes are up.
    Is this supposed to be in continuity with the DCEU? Are we ignoring Leto’s Joker from now on?
    The DCEU has been quietly taken out and shot. DC are focusing on individual films with no overall continuity now.

29. - Top - End - #29

I've been ignoring Leto's Joker since he sang for The Prodigy (RIP Keith Flint).

Seriously though, count me in the "didn't think I cared but boy that trailer looks interesting" camp.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Trailer is... Wow.

I hope the movie will live up to the hype of the trailer. More Aquaman/Shazam/WW and less Suicide Squad.

Also, this reminds me of Logan for some reason. More of a character-driven story under the trappings of a comic book movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    The Joaquin Phoenix one is still going, it's the Jared Leto one that got binned. (DC rather overegged the puddin' with Joker movies)
    Fixed that bit for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.